PDA

View Full Version : Denver's in the West finals since 1985. That has David Stern sweating

ducks
05-14-2009, 12:53 PM
West finals give Nuggets reason to shout
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
8 hours, 44 minutes ago

Buzz up!40 votes PrintRelated Video Nuggets make West finals Nuggets make West finals

More NBA Videos More From Adrian WojnarowskiHoward calls out coach's play-calling May 13, 2009 Daddy Rich says goodbye May 10, 2009
DENVER – David Stern’s worst nightmare let the love wash over it on Wednesday night, arms raised, noise crashing down, the raucous and rolling Denver Nuggets rushing into the Western Conference finals. Carmelo Anthony(notes) and Kenyon Martin(notes) and J.R. Smith(notes) traded knowing nods and I-told-you-so laughs. Suddenly, those bad tatts and bad reputations are serious and sobering threats to the commissioner’s television-driven desire of a Kobe-LeBron NBA Finals.

The Los Angeles Lakers are increasingly wobbly, and those chants of “Beat L.A. … Beat L.A.” in the final moments of Game 5 aren’t such a far-fetched idea. It is improbable, yes, but the days and nights of waiting for the Nuggets to implode are over. They’re explosive and hardened and dangerous. They’re the hot NCAA tournament team on a March roll, flexing and preening, feeling like it can do anything.

“They’re a legitimate championship-caliber team,” Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said. “They’ve got a great shot, a real opportunity.”

Mostly, they’ve grown up. Chauncey Billups(notes) walked into the gymnasium and changed everything here. He had a genius 28 points and 12 assists in the 124-110 victory to eliminate the Dallas Mavericks, and now, remarkably, takes his seventh straight team to a conference final.

“Storybook,” Billups said. He has come home to Denver, and restored character and credibility to this uneven franchise.

As much as anything, Denver has Dallas owner Mark Cuban to thank for much of the prism with which the public will judge these Nuggets now. He had to go and use that tired code word that comes with rugged, black basketball players in America: thug.

Martin is a nightmare on the floor, but he’s no thug. Smith can be a clown, but he’s no thug. Anthony has a history, too, but he’s grown up a lot.

Thugs? Listen, they seldom make it to the NBA. When they do, they don’t have staying power. Cuban has long railed against the stereotypes and labels thrust onto NBA players, and he went a long way toward perpetuating them with that sophomoric snap at K-Mart’s mother, Lydia Moore. It’s strange: In hockey, they don’t use that word with physical players. When they have tattoos, it seems, everything changes.

In the end, it fed the public’s worst sensibilities about judging these Nuggets. Stern should be ashamed of himself. He can’t have an owner talking that way. He created a climate in Game 4 in Dallas that was needless and despicable, a free-for-all on the Nuggets and their families on Monday.

Cuban did everyone a favor running off to Vegas to pick up an award for Game 5 because his presence at the Pepsi Center would’ve brought out the worst in everyone. This way, the Nuggets could spend this night celebrating a return to the conference finals for the first time since 1985 without cursing out Cuban.

Nevertheless, Cuban’s apology on his blog was a half-assed embarrassment, self-indulgent and patronizing. It was rightfully unacceptable to the Nuggets, and it should’ve been to the league office, too.

The NBA insisted that it was a closed matter on Wednesday, and a spokesman said, “We are confident that this will be brought to an intelligent close with an adult conversation.” Yes, that’s how this will be resolved with Cuban and Martin. Adult conversion. K-Mart was berating him when they parted ways in Dallas this week. Fines mean nothing to Cuban, but the league office owed everyone a strongly worded reprimand, if not a quantifiable punishment. Owners should be held to a different standard and almost never are in the NBA.

“They called us every name in the book,” Anthony said.

If nothing else, this episode turned out to be a valuable test for Denver. Once, the Nuggets would’ve become consumed with exacting immature revenge. No sucker punches, no brawls, no suspensions. Anthony has come a long way, and now gets a chance to become a genuine superstar in the NBA. He fell far behind classmates LeBron James(notes) and Dwyane Wade(notes) because he couldn’t stay out of trouble and because the Nuggets never won in the playoffs. Last summer, Denver dumped Marcus Camby’s(notes) contract for nothing and Anthony’s Team USA teammates relentlessly teased him.

“I was kind of the joke of the USA team,” he said. “They said that we got rid of all of our guys.”

The NBA’s executive of the year, Mark Warkentien, reshaped these Nuggets and they came of age. As they ran down the corridor to the locker room after the beat-down on the Mavericks, Martin yelled, “Eight more. …We need eight more.”

The Denver Nuggets are thinking about the West finals and beyond now. These bad tatts and bad reputations are the commissioner’s worst nightmare. The Nuggets have reached the conference finals thinking it feels like March and they’re on some kind of a roll.

“I have a feeling we are not going to be messed up by the next round,” Denver coach George Karl said. “People are waiting for us to crack, but there is a smart toughness to this team.”

Beat L.A., they screamed in the Mile High City. Beat L.A.

No one was laughing. Not anymore.

JustBlaze
05-14-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm laughing. Pathetic that it took this long to get back in the WC finals.

ducks
05-14-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm laughing. Pathetic that it took this long to get back in the WC finals.

it was because they got 6-8 seed and had to face the spurs:flag::lmao

ducks
05-14-2009, 12:56 PM
stern should be happy
james vs melo in finals

JustBlaze
05-14-2009, 01:01 PM
it was because they got 6-8 seed and had to face the spurs:flag::lmao
Yeah I know, I was there rooting and hoping we'd beat the likes of the Spurs(twice), LA(last year), Minny, and the friggin' Clippers the past 5 years. About time we got out of the god damn 1st round.

BtW, why isn't there an emote that says "Go Nuggets, Do". I demand one!
:flag:
GO NUGGETS GO!

JustBlaze
05-14-2009, 01:06 PM
stern should be happy
james vs melo in finals
Not if Vitamin water has any say in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_g4OPlPvwU

baseline bum
05-14-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm not sold on Denver yet; they took down two garbage teams.

DeadlyDynasty
05-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm not sold on Denver yet; they took down two garbage teams.

+1, as did the Cavs

alchemist
05-14-2009, 04:03 PM
this is a joke, the Nuggets aren't Sterns nightmare they're an exciting team to watch because they put a lot of points on the score board almost effortlessly.

When the Spurs were eliminated you better believe that ABC execs not the NBA (they get payed regardless of who plays) were popping bottles.

DeadlyDynasty
05-14-2009, 04:14 PM
this is a joke, the Nuggets aren't Sterns nightmare they're an exciting team to watch because they put a lot of points on the score board almost effortlessly.

When the Spurs were eliminated you better believe that ABC execs not the NBA (they get payed regardless of who plays) were popping bottles.

That's because when a game is put on a major network it has to attract the casual observer as well...The spurs are from a small market and their style of play is akin to watching paint dry. Not to take anything away from them because they did win those titles, but if you (think from a casual fan's perspective)were head of ABC wouldn't you be popping the bubbly as well?

Allanon
05-14-2009, 04:15 PM
The Lakers and Cavs don't need help to get to the Finals, they're clearly the two best teams in the NBA.

Celtics might be back on track as well, very gutty performances.

It just might end up being Lakers/Celtics, again, although I'd much rather see Lakers/Cavs.

iggypop123
05-14-2009, 04:20 PM
abc execs were doing backflips. stern, doesnt care cause he got paid by abc already. too bad the contract goes on forever. no chance of nba on nbc return

alchemist
05-14-2009, 05:54 PM
That's because when a game is put on a major network it has to attract the casual observer as well...The spurs are from a small market and their style of play is akin to watching paint dry. Not to take anything away from them because they did win those titles, but if you (think from a casual fan's perspective)were head of ABC wouldn't you be popping the bubbly as well?
that's my point. the NBA doesn't give a damn who is in the Finals, it's the networks that worry about the Spurs advancing and hope offensive teams like the Nuggets/Lakers advance.

but to dispute to your "watching paint dry" style, Cleveland and Boston play the same way. Although I understand why Cleveland might get a pass because they have a certain #23.

DeadlyDynasty
05-14-2009, 06:10 PM
that's my point. the NBA doesn't give a damn who is in the Finals, it's the networks that worry about the Spurs advancing and hope offensive teams like the Nuggets/Lakers advance.

but to dispute to your "watching paint dry" style, Cleveland and Boston play the same way. Although I understand why Cleveland might get a pass because they have a certain #23.

Boston is dreadful to watch...just a foulfest with a moving screen clinic thrown in. When LBJ isn't putting on a show the Cavs are real tough to watch as well...but like you said, #23 usually changes that