PDA

View Full Version : What's The Best Free Virus/Trojan Protection?

duncan228
05-14-2009, 11:11 PM
I know some names, Norton, Spybot, Ad-Aware, AVG, Malwarebytes.

Any opinions on those?

What are you guys using?

Are free ones okay or should I buy one?

While I'm asking things, anyone have experience with Virtumonde?

balli
05-14-2009, 11:40 PM
On my xp machines I run a combo of the freeware version of AVG and malwarebytes. I rarely run malwarebytes, but I once got an infection that nothing else would take care of and that got it, so I keep it around. I like Ad-Aware too, which IIRC also comes as freeware.

No matter what (and everyone will say this)- do not install Norton, or McAfee.

I wouldn't buy or download a retail version of anything, but maybe there's some advantage to doing so that someone else can explain?

If you don't have a good cleaner program it'd be worth your time to install CCleaner which is also free.

baseline bum
05-15-2009, 12:17 AM
I use GNU/Linux. Works great!

duncan228
05-15-2009, 12:33 AM
Thanks guys.

balli, I thought Norton was no good, that's why I'm asking. Norton came on my new laptop. AVG was on my old one and it seemed great but I didn't see a free one. I'll look again.

And I had the same experience with Malwarebytes, it got rid of the Virtumonde when nothing else would.

What does CCleaner do that others don't?

Libri
05-15-2009, 12:36 AM
I know some names, Norton, Spybot, Ad-Aware, AVG, Malwarebytes.

Any opinions on those?

What are you guys using?

Are free ones okay or should I buy one?

While I'm asking things, anyone have experience with Virtumonde?

I'm wondering if you get a free one with your ISP?

balli
05-15-2009, 12:50 AM
What does CCleaner do that others don't?
CCleaner isn't really an anti-virus program, it just finds and deletes all your junk files, left over files from old apps, temp files, internet history files, cookies, etc.

Not really all that necessary because you can get rid of all that stuff in other ways, but it's a quick and easy one step solution. My 2 cents is that it's small enough to make it worth having, but meh, plenty of people get by without it.

The CNET review:

4 out of 5- Although it lacks a few of the bells and whistles found in other PC-cleaning applications, this free program offers more than enough features to make it a worthy download. CCleaner's interface is logically designed and makes it easy to wipe away your tracks from Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, and Google Chrome from various Windows system areas, and from some third-party applications.

CCleaner doesn't support the large number of extraneous programs that some competitors do, but it can erase traces from such popular programs as Spybot - Search & Destroy and WinZip. CCleaner now offers secure file erasing along with a Registry-cleaning utility that quickly scans for invalid entries before removing them. CCleaner can even back up your Registry before removal, in case it accidentally removes a crucial component, and the download includes a rudimentary feature for uninstalling any program on your machine.

Since this free application handles the majority of PC-cleaning chores and offers a nice extra, we strongly recommend CCleaner to all users, except those who need robust tools to remove supersensitive data.
http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

http://www.ccleaner.com/

If you end up going with AVG- http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

duncan228
05-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the info balli. I'm pretty good about cleaning junk out, but I'll keep the cleaner in mind.

I really appreciate the free AVG link. I don't know why I didn't find it. Thanks. :)

balli
05-15-2009, 01:22 AM
;) Hope all stays well with the new laptop.

Cry Havoc
05-15-2009, 01:40 AM
I use AVG + Spybot.

I've heard Avira is really excellent as well, and it's free.

koriwhat
05-15-2009, 09:44 AM
aČ and kaspersky av together are great.

norton, mcafee, etc... suck!

TwAnKiEs
05-15-2009, 09:48 AM
I once got that popcorn adware ans was a pain in the ass. I found super anti spyware (www.supersanitspyware.com) which is free and cleaned it up fast. I heard AVG is really good also.

ElNono
05-15-2009, 10:18 AM
AVG Free is available here:
http://free.avg.com/

That's what I used to run when I had XP at home. My experience with Norton is that it causes more problems than it solves, not to mention it's a resource hog.

Heath Ledger
05-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Trojans with lubriderm/spermicide does it for me. Extra Large.

jacobdrj
05-15-2009, 12:01 PM
AVG seemed to decrease in quality and increase in obtrusiveness when they upgraded the version from 7.5 to 8. I don't use it anymore. I have been trying to use a combination of AVAST and Malwarebytes, along with CCleaner and Spybot SD, with occasional installs of AdAware, but there are some problems that none of these seem to be able to fix.

I would ALWAYS recommend Spybot. Even if it isn't catching spyware, it has a file shredder that works great for when you are targeting a pesky virus file on your hard drive.

I am thinking of switching over to a virtual machine for basic web surfing and word processing, and having a separate console for dedicated graphics/video work.

I'll make a new thread about it when I actually get around to it.

At this point, I would actually say to ditch XP if possible and get Windows 7 as soon as you can. It should reduce many of these problems. XP is just so freggin insecure.

jacobdrj
05-15-2009, 12:03 PM

We want to be protected from the Trojans, and still be virus free, not use a trojan and spiff it up... Think before you post...

:rolleyes

duncan228
05-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks everyone.

I'm going with AVG and Spybot, keeping Malwarebytes on board for anything nasty that may show up.

I really appreciate the info, you guys are the best. :)

koriwhat
05-15-2009, 03:02 PM
spybot did nothing for me on my mother's computer let alone for yrs on my old pc. when i first got spybot back in like '04 or whenever it was i thought it was great but it has since become obsolete in my book atleast. aČ beats the shit out of any other spywhere/malware software there is. i've used it twice now and it's done it's job! it doesn't just go through the motions and spit out a log so you can read it and get back to scanning again because it did nothing, no it scans, fixes, spits a log out so you know it did what it was supposed to do unlike many other software out there that makes such claims.

try it out duncan228. it's free btw.

as for avg, it's never worked for me. kaspersky is well worth the dough spent plus there's plenty of coupons online to get anywhere from 20%-40% off the software.

and here's the best solution of them all.
http://www.macsparky.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/apple-logo-2.jpg

velik_m
05-15-2009, 03:36 PM
I use Avast+Comodo, and i run Ad-aware from time to time.

stretch
05-15-2009, 04:39 PM
avast and spybot for me

Libri
05-15-2009, 04:40 PM
It's not free but I have used BitDefender. Compared to others that I used, it was excellent and it didn't slow down my computer.

koriwhat
05-15-2009, 04:53 PM
bitdefender is pretty good... used to use it but went with kaspersky here at work and at my mother's and it's great. i'd say bitdefender is right up there with kaspersky.

spurster
05-15-2009, 08:31 PM
OpenBSD is probably the best, but Linux is good.

Anyone who uses Windows is toast, and that includes me when I have to use it.

ElNono
05-16-2009, 12:13 AM

+1
My Mac Mini completely agrees.

jacobdrj
05-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Apple is a band-aid solution, but with every new mac user, there will be a higher demand for related viruses. That might not happen any time soon, but it should be kept in mind. Linux currently has a smaller user base, and should stay relatively virus free for a bit longer, and the cost is much less. I don't use either myself, but have recommended them to customers when necessary.

I have a new client interested in migrating over to Virtual Machines. In theory, it should be practically impervious to infection. A true long term solution.

koriwhat
05-18-2009, 01:10 PM
i don't mess with virtual machines... not worth it in my opinion. the drag is just too much for me.

koriwhat
05-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Apple is a band-aid solution, but with every new mac user, there will be a higher demand for related viruses.

i think what you really mean is this... with every new corporation that goes osx there will be a higher demand for related viruses. good thing corporations are penny pinchers and have yet to realize how unproductive the winOS platform is.

leemajors
05-20-2009, 03:18 PM
spybot did nothing for me on my mother's computer let alone for yrs on my old pc. when i first got spybot back in like '04 or whenever it was i thought it was great but it has since become obsolete in my book atleast. aČ beats the shit out of any other spywhere/malware software there is. i've used it twice now and it's done it's job! it doesn't just go through the motions and spit out a log so you can read it and get back to scanning again because it did nothing, no it scans, fixes, spits a log out so you know it did what it was supposed to do unlike many other software out there that makes such claims.

try it out duncan228. it's free btw.

as for avg, it's never worked for me. kaspersky is well worth the dough spent plus there's plenty of coupons online to get anywhere from 20%-40% off the software.

http://gizmodo.com/5263130/mac-os-x-vulnerable-to-critical-java-flaw-windows-users-snide-remarks

koriwhat
05-20-2009, 03:31 PM
oh no!

jacobdrj
05-21-2009, 02:08 PM
i think what you really mean is this... with every new corporation that goes osx there will be a higher demand for related viruses. good thing corporations are penny pinchers and have yet to realize how unproductive the winOS platform is.

It depends on what you use it for. Adobe writes its programs to run natively on the Mac OS, where it is ported, rather ineficently, to Windows. This is analagous to trying to run games written for consoles on your computer. They might both use DirectX, but the games just run more smoothly on the console they were intended for most of the time.

Many mission critical software solutions in the enterprise is written in proprietairy form exclusively on the platform of choice of said corporation. Right now, from what I have seen while working for one of these companies, is that there is a migration away from UNIX based software (ala MacOS, Linux etc) to Windows solutions, due to the farmiliarity the consumers, and therefore the workers, of said company has...

When you use virtualization, issues like Viruses and Malware are null, and stability isn't an issue unless you intentionally try to max out your settings. Wintel has become quite a stable OS, provided you use new hardware designed for it, much like new Macs lack much backwards compatibility with OS9 and beyond.

I am not anti-mac. I reccomend it to customers where appropriate, but it is inaccurate to claim that by simply switching platform, all the problems go away.

Just something to consider.

koriwhat
05-21-2009, 03:57 PM
^^ i dont believe all your problems will go away switching from winOS to OSX. not at all what i think. i do however believe you get what you pay for and that has yet to backfire on me.

it's such a relief to be able to work on my computer(OSX) and not have to screw with it non stop just to do a little bit of work and then screw with it again to do some more like i had to do in the winOS. i'm not claiming OSX is perfect but damn if it hasn't made my work a lot easier to complete. i have yet to experience any troubles with my mac and i don't think i will anytime soon.

koriwhat
05-21-2009, 03:57 PM
^^ i dont believe all your problems will go away switching from winOS to OSX. not at all what i think. i do however believe you get what you pay for and that has yet to backfire on me.

it's such a relief to be able to work on my computer(OSX) and not have to screw with it non stop just to do a little bit of work and then screw with it again to do some more like i had to do in the winOS. i'm not claiming OSX is perfect but damn if it hasn't made my work a lot easier to complete. i have yet to experience any troubles with my mac and i don't think i will anytime soon.

eisfeld
05-22-2009, 05:49 PM
I use AVG on my laptop and Avast on my desktop and both work fine. I usually combine them with Spybot to be sure. Anyways, just keep your hands of anything which has to do with ZoneAlarm (yeah they produce Anti-Virus programs too) - It will just slow down your machine

Chomag
05-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Anyone here use/used Avast? I currently have that one and it seems to work pretty well for me.

Cry Havoc
05-31-2009, 01:56 PM
I had Avast but switched to Avira today when Avast said my subscription was going to expire.

Desert Plains
05-31-2009, 03:31 PM
Anyone here use/used Avast? I currently have that one and it seems to work pretty well for me.

Avast is good if you do boot up scans you have to schedule them its a scan that takes place before windows boots up!

Another thing avast doesn't look for spy ware you need another program that specializes in spy ware.

My I suggest. you pick one of these.

http://anti-spyware-review.toptenreviews.com/

if you want the full version and your low on cash put the software you want in the search box
'
http://btjunkie.org/search?q=Spyware

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks everyone.

I'm going with AVG and Spybot, keeping Malwarebytes on board for anything nasty that may show up.

I really appreciate the info, you guys are the best. :)

How has this been going for you duncan228?

I'm currently uninstalling Norton and installing AVG, but just wanted to see if there were any noticeable changes with your computer.

eisfeld
12-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Tried many over the years: Norton, AVG, McAfee, Spybot, AdAware, Avast etc...

AVG was good in previous versions, now I don't like it. Currently I'm running a combo of Avast AntiVir and Spybot and my systems is clean and running fast.

USB Drive Antivirus is another great program I use... mostly because it can run a scan from your USB Stick which is really helpful when your original Anti-Virus got corrupted.

DizzG.
12-30-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm currently uninstalling Norton
Good luck :lmao

DizzG.
12-30-2009, 11:04 PM
USB Drive Antivirus is another great program I use... mostly because it can run a scan from your USB Stick which is really helpful when your original Anti-Virus got corrupted.

About time they come up with that shit! :toast

z0sa
12-31-2009, 12:00 AM
Pulling out

John Kerry
12-31-2009, 01:03 AM

Was that the kind David was wearing while trapped in the series of intricate ropes?

leemajors
12-31-2009, 10:00 AM
Windows Security Essentials has been highly rated by most sites like Gizmodo and Engadget, and it's free. Not sure about bloat, but it's supposedly very effective:

http://gizmodo.com/5433229/microsoft-security-essentials-ranks-as-best+performing-free-antivirus