PDA

View Full Version : Nerves For The Spurs: Busy Weekend Will Lead To Woodside's NBA Tryout With SA

duncan228
05-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Nerves for the Spurs: Busy weekend will lead to Woodside's NBA tryout with San Antonio (http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/240645/)
Working out the last 10 days in Chicago, Ben Woodside has grown to appreciate his downtown apartment view of Lake Michigan.
By: Kevin Schnepf

Working out the last 10 days in Chicago, Ben Woodside has grown to appreciate his downtown apartment view of Lake Michigan.

“The workouts are definitely intense,” said Woodside, North Dakota State’s All-American basketball player who is preparing for his first NBA tryout on Monday. “I believe that I’m in the best shape of my life right now.”

After he graduates from NDSU on Saturday and moves out of his Fargo apartment, Woodside hops on a plane Sunday to San Antonio – where the Spurs’ coaching staff will interview him that afternoon before his on-the-court tryout Monday.

It’s the first of many NBA tryouts for Woodside – who ended his Bison career this spring as NDSU’s all-time leading scorer.

His 23.2-point scoring average, including a 37-point outburst against Kansas in an NCAA tournament opening-round game, elevated his stock among NBA scouts.

Mark Bartelstein, Woodside’s agent who is based in Chicago, said Woodside will try out for at least five teams June 2 or 3 in Minneapolis. The teams include Minnesota, Memphis, Houston, Indiana and Portland.

Bartlestein also said Woodside will tryout for the Chicago Bulls on June 8. Bartelstein said he plans to schedule more tryouts after that.

“Right now, I’m a deer in the headlights,” said Woodside, who really doesn’t know what to expect in his first tryout at San Antonio. “I’m anxious to see what it’s like. I’m pretty excited.”

Woodside, who admits he likes watching the Spurs on TV, has been working out the last 10 days with five other players at the Fitness Center in downtown Chicago. His roommate is a Bartelstein client from Australia.

“I’ve been on the court for a number of hours each day … you definitely get a good sweat going,” Woodside said. “Right now, I feel confident and I feel good.”

ducks
05-14-2009, 11:20 PM
nice find

duncan228
05-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Draft Express:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ben-Woodside-5502/

North Dakota State University. (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=77285)

Ben Woodside
# 10
Guard - G
Height: 5-11 Weight: 185
Senior

2007-08 Season (Junior): First-team All-Summit League...Named to the Summit League Winter/Spring All-Academic Team and Commissioner’s List of Academic Excellence...Started all 29 games to run his consecutive starts streak to 85...The Summit League’s second overall leading scorer with 20.7 points per game and third in assists with 5.14 per game...In the league-only stats, he ranked fourth in scoring (18.3 ppg) and second in assists (5.11 apg)...Summit League Player of the Week on Nov. 26 following first back-to-back 30-point games...His 39 points at Tennessee Tech tied for 10th most in a single game in school history...Followed that with 31 in a loss at Wisconsin-Green Bay...Summit League Men’s Athlete of the Month for November after leading the Bison in scoring in five of the first seven games...NDSU’s top scorer in 18 games overall...All-tournament at the Cal Golden Bear Classic, where he torched Bucknell for 31 points...Led the league with sixteen 20-point games...Went over 1,000 career points in the third game of the season with 31 against Minot State...Got his first collegiate double-double with a career-high 10 assists in that contest...Finished the season sixth on the NDSU career scoring list (1,549) and second on the career free-throws made list (456) just nine shy of tying the record...Made 16 of 19 free throws in the home win over UMKC, one short of the school single-game record for free throws made...Finished the season making 171 of 206 free throws, the second most free throw makes and sixth most attempts in NDSU single-season history...Drained six 3-pointers against IUPUI, one shy of the school single-game record.

2006-07 Season (Sophomore): One of three Bison players to earn first team Division I all-independent honors...Ranked third in the independent stats with 16.4 points per game, second in assists with 5.1 per game, and fifth in free-throw percentage (.822)...Started all 28 contests...Scored in double-figures 22 times, including a season-high 31 points at home in a two-point loss to Kansas State...Made 12 of 15 foul shots against K-State and was a perfect 12-for-12 in the home win over South Dakota State...NDSU’s leading scorer in 10 games...Ten games of 20 or more points.

2005-06 Season (Freshman): Started all 28 games for North Dakota State and averaged 34.4 minutes...NDSU’s leading scorer in 14 games...Strung together nine straight double-digit scoring games after the regular-season opener and had 23 total...Eleven 20-plus scoring efforts and five straight at one point...Hit 11 of 13 foul shots, including his last 10 in a row and 8 of 8 in the last 2:22 to carry the Bison past Wisconsin...Finished with a game-high 24 points...Hit 15 of 22 foul shots for a game- and season-high 32 points at Idaho State...Had 23 second-half points and finished with a game-high 27 in the win over Eastern Michigan...Tied a school record for free-throw percentage when he made 14 of 14 and scored a game-high 26 points at Colorado State...His 160 free throws made ranked third in school single-season history, and his 201 attempts ranked seventh...Division I independent Player of the Week twice (12/6 and 1/24)...Independent all-academic team...Independent Newcomer of the Year by a vote of coaches and SIDs...Independent MVP by CollegeInsider.com...Independent Freshman of the Year by CBS Sportsline.com.

2004-05 Season (Redshirt): Sat out the entire season as a redshirt in the Bison program.

High School: Played at Albert Lea High School under coach Matt Addington...Graduated in 2004...Minnesota "Mr. Basketball" award candidate...Class 3A Player of the Year...Team captain and MVP for three seasons...Set school career records for points, assists and steals...Recorded three historical marks in one game, breaking the school records for points in a game (41), points in a season, and the all-time career scoring mark...Three-time all-conference selection and first-team all-state as a senior.

Personal: Majoring in business management...Born July 1, 1985...Son of Paul and Robbi Woodside of Albert Lea, Minn...Family includes a sister, Bryn...Played with teammate Brett Winkelman on an Athletes In Action team last July at the Jones Cup in Taiwan...The U.S. team went 7-2 with opening game and championship game overtime losses to Jordan...Scored 26 points in a seven-point win over Qatar in the semifinals...Averaged 14.7 points, 3.7 assists, 2.7 rebounds and 24.2 minutes in nine games.

Mel_13
05-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Another Summit League player huh?

I wonder if the Spurs will ask George about him.

Damn, schools from Michigan, Louisiana, the Dakotas, Utah and 4 other states in the same conference. Long road trips..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Summit_League

SequSpur
05-15-2009, 12:22 AM
scrub

The Truth #6
05-15-2009, 12:49 AM
He's listed at 5'11", which means he's probably 5'9". From all the stats listed, he sounds more like a scorer than a point guard. Can anyone chime in on this?

We don't need guys who aren't even six feet tall. Is Pop getting worked up over his next PG to fall in and out of love with?

xellos88330
05-15-2009, 03:01 AM
Looking at a PG eh. Does this mean that George Hill is going to be a 2 guard, or he is in the doghouse?

DMX7
05-15-2009, 03:08 AM
scrub

He's ok. Whoever we pick in the second round isn't going to be playing anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXAgRIwEGS8

NewJerSpur
05-15-2009, 03:10 AM
Looking at a PG eh. Does this mean that George Hill is going to be a 2 guard, or he is in the doghouse?

Pop officially unleashed Hill in game 4 of the playoffs. His next stop is at the side of Tony. The Spurs are doing their due dilligence on potential players they might be sizing up for whatever reason.

raspsa
05-15-2009, 03:15 AM
He's listed at 5'11", which means he's probably 5'9". From all the stats listed, he sounds more like a scorer than a point guard. Can anyone chime in on this?

We don't need guys who aren't even six feet tall. Is Pop getting worked up over his next PG to fall in and out of love with?

Spurs need sommeone to matchup with Barrea?:lol

Yuushi12
05-15-2009, 03:15 AM
Just get spanoulis to back up parker then move hill to 2.

superjames1992
05-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Woodside looked good in the few games that I've seen him in, so if we can get him with our #53 pick (I think that's our last pick), then maybe we should go for it.

Ocotillo
05-15-2009, 08:35 AM
And the smokescreens begin.........

completely deck
05-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Oh come on, Pop/FO, we need a big not a G.....

EricB
05-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Oh come on, Pop/FO, we need a big not a G.....

Good luck finding one.

completely deck
05-15-2009, 10:23 AM
4's and 5's aren't extinct, I don't know why you think that there are no possible ways to find a big man. they just need to know where to look

poop
05-15-2009, 11:10 AM
we dont need another fkckin point guard, whats the point of trying this guy out?

ElNono
05-15-2009, 11:10 AM
4's and 5's aren't extinct, I don't know why you think that there are no possible ways to find a big man. they just need to know where to look

And be willing to pay...

porksword
05-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Being from North Dakota and an avid NDSU fan I have some insight on Ben. He is prolly a legit 5'-11". He did dunk the ball in a game I believe his freshman year. So he has some hops. He is a scorer though. He had a 50 something point game this last season against Austin Peay that went to multiple overtimes. He is also NDSUs altime leading scorer and in the top ten in multiple other categories. He gets to the line often and has a great free throw percentage. (Not Spurs material lol) He gets into the lane quite well and draws alot of contact. The only problem with this is sometimes he has nowhere to to go with the ball and makes a bad pass or a bad shot.

Real good 3 point range to stretch the defense, good court vision and is unselfish with the ball. Led NDSU to their 1st NCAA tourny appearance in their 1st year of eligibility. Had a great game against Sharron Williams the PG from Kansas in the opening round. They led for good portions of that game.

So to wrap him up: A bit undersized, sometimes makes poor decisions and needs to work on his defense. Pluses are he has outstanding range, shots well off the dribble or standing still. Great penetrator with a knack for drawing contact and getting to the line. Good court vision and a team leader.

Here is his bio from Gobison.com http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11901&SPID=697&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=77285&Q_SEASON=2008

jjktkk
05-15-2009, 01:06 PM

This guy sounds alot like J.J. Barrea , who most teams wouldn't mind having on their roster. Kid is definitely worth a 2nd pick. There are are some legit NBA players in this league who are 6'0" and under. Barrea and how about the Rockets Aaron Brooks(6'0")?

robert1886
05-15-2009, 01:51 PM
i really dont have a problem with george at the 2 spot because people forget he is not that bad of a liability on defense since he has a wingspan of 6'9 and he is only going to get better...so if this kid can play some point the better

Knoxxx
05-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah, Barea type of player and look what he did to us. Athletic, scorer, and a playmaker. Only question is can he play any D?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-15-2009, 08:22 PM

You've got to realize...

TPark/Eric B never saw a Spurs front office decision he didn't like. The Spurs could draft point guards for the next eight drafts and start no one above six feet call in the starting five, and he'd still be here gushing over the franchise's moves...

BadOne
05-15-2009, 09:37 PM

I'm inclined to agree...The Spurs need some youth at the 3-4 and 5 spot. 1 and 2 could probably use 1 or 2 more, but not rookies.

flox
05-16-2009, 12:30 AM
He's a great scorer...he could take a lot of pressure off. He can't defend a thing though.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2009, 12:59 AM
we dont need another fkckin point guard, whats the point of trying this guy out?

So he can keep George Hill company on the bench?

The Truth #6
05-16-2009, 02:12 AM
The other interpretation is that all these players we're reading about in the next few days are red herrings. The Spurs always pick some obscure player no one even knows about.

The FO's decision making has been shaky for a while now so anything is possible, but they've consistently picked under the radar players who are not mentioned in the press. These scenarios sound good in theory but I wonder if they pick obscure players just to feel different and/or superior. We need a good draft and can't afford any Alfrederick Hughes.

wildbill2u
05-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Woodside looked good in the few games that I've seen him in, so if we can get him with our #53 pick (I think that's our last pick), then maybe we should go for it.

I'd rather blow the 2nd round picks on several of the
euro SF/PF possibilities of 6'8" or better.

Maybe we'll get lucky

benefactor
05-16-2009, 11:14 AM
I'd rather blow the 2nd round picks on several of the
euro SF/PF possibilities of 6'8" or better.

Maybe we'll get lucky
:tu

jjktkk
05-16-2009, 01:19 PM
The other interpretation is that all these players we're reading about in the next few days are red herrings. The Spurs always pick some obscure player no one even knows about.

The FO's decision making has been shaky for a while now so anything is possible, but they've consistently picked under the radar players who are not mentioned in the press. These scenarios sound good in theory but I wonder if they pick obscure players just to feel different and/or superior. We need a good draft and can't afford any Alfrederick Hughes.

The FO decisions have been made recently with saving cap space, not drafting players. Their drafting has been pretty good. There's a difference. And why would you bring up drafting Alfrederick Hughes. That was 23 years ago! This current Spurs FO and Ownership had nothing to do with drafting Hiughes in 1986.:rolleyes