PDA

View Full Version : because the spurs are cheap we only have...

antimvp
05-15-2009, 09:32 AM
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

........and we don't have

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

Bukefal
05-15-2009, 10:41 AM
:bang ok.

If there is one team in the nba right now that should not complain about winning championships, than its us.

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2009, 10:43 AM
:cry

only 4 championships!!

:cry

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-15-2009, 10:48 AM
The real tragedy is that if we Spurs fans could say, "Spurs have six rings to the Mavs zero," no Mavs fan would ever dare smack talk us ever again. But alas...:depressed

z0sa
05-15-2009, 10:54 AM
spurs easily should have won 2003-2009

samikeyp
05-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Hey as someone who was a fan pre-1999....I will take "just" 4. :toast

symple19
05-15-2009, 11:03 AM
:bang ok.

If there is one team in the nba right now that should not complain about winning championships, than its us.
Amen, we as Spurs fans are VERY fortunate - I live in SF Bay Area and I watch the warriors flounder and flop about year after year - Used to live DC area and watched the bullets/wizards try to figure it out - Lived in Alabama and watched the Hawks...Need I go on????:flag::lobt2::flag:

antimvp
05-15-2009, 11:13 AM
the spurs are cheap

to21
05-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Hey as someone who was a fan pre-1999....I will take "just" 4. :toast:toast

They just don't know.

samikeyp
05-15-2009, 11:20 AM
:toast

They just don't know.

:lol true but to be fair, I understand where others are coming from. Knowing how good the Spurs have been this entire decade, when they fall short its frustrating. You want your team to win it all and you want them to win it all as many times as possible, nothing wrong with that.

My question is, when the big 3 have gone bye-bye and the Spurs could be lucky just to get in the playoffs, how many here will still be here?

to21
05-15-2009, 11:22 AM
:lol true but to be fair, I understand where others are coming from. Knowing how good the Spurs have been this entire decade, when they fall short its frustrating. You want your team to win it all and you want them to win it all as many times as possible, nothing wrong with that.

My question is, when the big 3 have gone bye-bye and the Spurs could be lucky just to get in the playoffs, how many here will still be here?Hopefully either Tim or Dave will have pedigree sons playing for the Spurs by then.

samikeyp
05-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Hopefully either Tim or Dave will have pedigree sons playing for the Spurs by then.

Yeah, no pressure or anything. :lol

GSH
05-15-2009, 11:31 AM

Yeah, just think about that. If you told any 1998 Spurs fan that there would be 4 banners hanging in the rafters ten years down the road, what would they have said?

Muser
05-15-2009, 11:33 AM
If you told me the day D-Rob went down with his injury we would have 4 rings by 2008 i'd of kicked you in the balls and told you to stop dreaming, so stfu.

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Yeah, just think about that. If you told any 1998 Spurs fan that there would be 4 banners hanging in the rafters ten years down the road, what would they have said?

After the heartbreaks of 1979 and 1995 and the so-close-yet-so-far feelings of 1982 and 1983, thinking that there would even be 1 banner in those rafters in 2009 would have been nearly inconceivable to me. For so many years, this team tantalized with great regular seasons, only to follow with some pretty epic playoff flameouts. Even on a grander scale, after that 1990 team lost to Portland and then never could put it all together again, I was sure that titles just weren't meant for San Antonio. If that group, with all of its youth and early successes -- the way that they taxed a great Portland team in Games 5 and 7 of that series -- couldn't win a title, how would the Spurs ever get even one?

I've savored every one of the four titles. I certainly wish they had more, and I certainly hope that they'll get more. But I'm not going to bitch about the Spurs not having more than the 4 titles they have. I'm not going to blame ownership for not doing enough.

symple19
05-15-2009, 11:41 AM

My question is, when the big 3 have gone bye-bye and the Spurs could be lucky just to get in the playoffs, how many here will still be here?

Been a diehard since D-Rob arrived, will be diehard till I, well, Die:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Mel_13
05-15-2009, 11:42 AM

How about just going back to the start of the 2003 postseason? Would anyone have seriously entertained the notion that Duncan and the Spurs would win at least three more championships before Kobe and the three-time defending champion Lakers would win even one more?

EricB
05-15-2009, 12:33 PM
After the heartbreaks of 1979 and 1995 and the so-close-yet-so-far feelings of 1982 and 1983, thinking that there would even be 1 banner in those rafters in 2009 would have been nearly inconceivable to me. For so many years, this team tantalized with great regular seasons, only to follow with some pretty epic playoff flameouts. Even on a grander scale, after that 1990 team lost to Portland and then never could put it all together again, I was sure that titles just weren't meant for San Antonio. If that group, with all of its youth and early successes -- the way that they taxed a great Portland team in Games 5 and 7 of that series -- couldn't win a title, how would the Spurs ever get even one?

I've savored every one of the four titles. I certainly wish they had more, and I certainly hope that they'll get more. But I'm not going to bitch about the Spurs not having more than the 4 titles they have. I'm not going to blame ownership for not doing enough.

Hell I thought the upsets of 91 and 95 were tough :lol

samikeyp
05-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Hell I thought the upsets of 91 and 95 were tough :lol

1991 :bang

peskypesky
05-15-2009, 12:56 PM

it is sad to think that if the owners had been willing to spend a little more money, they could have added another player and almost guaranteed that Tim Duncan's Spurs would have won even more Championships. i don't think it's crazy to think that Tim might have gotten close to Russell's 10 rings.

ehz33satx
05-15-2009, 01:10 PM

Who knows what type of players we have coming to us in the future? Maybe Bosh or Wade or Derrick Rose or some other up and coming young bucks, maybe Scola will come back to play for us. You just never know. Be optimistic!

The Spurs have given us fans real solid quality basketball for almost 2 decades, with so many great memories! 4 Championships and having the highest winning percentage in ALL of sports for over a decade is nothing to just turn your back on just because they are no longer winning with such ease. I will always be a San Antonio Spurs fan, aste que me muero, till I die!

Dr. Gonzo
05-15-2009, 01:15 PM

Agreed. I'm happy as shit to have 4.

duncan228
05-15-2009, 01:42 PM
It's easy to get spoiled when you're a fan of a team that's had the run they've had. They've not only won four, but they've been real contenders pretty much every year of Duncan's career.

It's easy to armchair decisions that have been made. Duncan's talent alone makes it easy to think there could have been more.

But I'm not one to question the front office. They've brought the four home, not me. I'm just lucky to be a fan of Duncan and his team. I've enjoyed every second of his career, win, lose, or ugly.

I think Duncan has more in him. I hope the Spurs do everything they can to help make that happen. Meanwhile, I'll appreciate the Trophies and continue to root for them.

FromWayDowntown
05-15-2009, 02:13 PM
1991 :bang

1991 didn't last long enough to be anything other than a tease. Somehow, that loss was more confusing than heartbreaking to me.

1995, on the other hand, ripped my beating heart out of my chest and stomped on it.

Appoggiatura
05-15-2009, 03:00 PM

This couldn't be more true. My Dad and I had season tickets going back to the late 80s. We stopped after 2003 season b/c I moved away to college and it started catching up to him. The 1990 series was one of my first true memories of how great the NBA Playoffs were. Subsequently, the 1991 series against Golden State was an embarassment. In 1992, we never had a chance b/c we lost Dave to a broken thumb. In 1993, we choked a 10 point 4th quarter lead in Game 6 - I wish we could have a crack at Game 7 in Phoenix, we nearly pulled out #5. In 1994, we got asses dominated by Utah. Then came 1995. I really thought that was our year. When we lost three home games and the series against the Rockets, it really stung, but the following year's utter collapse and implosion against Utah made me think we would never win a title.

13 years later, you tell me we've won four championships and have been right there for more. Many teams in the league are trying to copy the Spurs way - let that marinate for a bit.

They talk about the San Antonio Spurs being an example for professional sports in sustained excellence. To a lot of fans that saw what I mentioned above as well as the many that saw the heart what proceeded it (late 70s and early 80s), we just savor our four and hope that we can get a couple more. We got very lucky. For people like myself, I can say that a childhood dream came true and did four times at that. Cheers!

Spursfan092120
05-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Spurs fan since 1980..the day I was born..PROUD as HELL of our 4 titles.

Mel_13
05-15-2009, 03:41 PM
it is sad to think that if the owners had been willing to spend a little more money, they could have added another player and almost guaranteed that Tim Duncan's Spurs would have won even more Championships. i don't think it's crazy to think that Tim might have gotten close to Russell's 10 rings.

Please tell. Who is this player that could have been added for a 'little more money" (and how much is a little?) that would have 'almost guaranteed' more championships (plural), perhaps approaching a total of ten?

easy7
05-15-2009, 06:41 PM
I just hope that I am not around to live the day when the Mavs win one, as it is their fans think they have something on the Spurs. Imagine if the ever get one... It will be pure hell!!!

SouthTexasRancher
05-15-2009, 06:53 PM
the spurs are cheap

Noooooooooooope!!!

Red McCombs, Angelo Drossos, Peter Holt, et al (Spurs owners past & present), have been very smart with finances. Look at the various teams in all the Major League sports who have the biggest payroll and year after year they are at the bottom in wins.

Paying big bucks to some of the spoiled brats today will only buy you headaches and heartaches. Nobody has ever said the three Spurs owners I've mentioned above by name were not smart businessmen. They have made their money the hard way....they've earned it.

And if you don't believe me just ask fans of the Knicks and Mavs...what has the big spending brought them???? I rest my case!

The Spurs are coming back with a vengeance....and you can take that to the bank!

K-State Spur
05-15-2009, 07:00 PM
How about just going back to the start of the 2003 postseason? Would anyone have seriously entertained the notion that Duncan and the Spurs would win at least three more championships before Kobe and the three-time defending champion Lakers would win even one more?

Preseason? There was a large number of chicken littles who had written that team off up until the rodeo trip.

Strike
05-15-2009, 07:27 PM
The real tragedy is that if we Spurs fans could say, "Spurs have six rings to the Mavs zero," no Mavs fan would ever dare smack talk us ever again. But alas...:depressed

Sure they would. That's what most Mav fans do.

Strike
05-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Been a diehard since D-Rob arrived, will be diehard till I, well, Die:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

+1

Same thing for me.

The 4 rings the Spurs have are great memories for me. The fact that they've beaten some of the teams I've most despised over the years (Suns, "Jail" Blazers, Lakers, Dallas, Cleveland,) during those title runs makes it even sweeter.

HarlemHeat37
05-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Everybody already knows how I feel about this, I rant about fans that complain about this shit..

4 fucking titles, the most of this decade..if you count the lockout season, which you obviously should, the Spurs have the LONGEST streak of consecutive 50-win seasons in NBA history..we've influenced the NBA much more than any other team, as you can see by the influence of drafting Parker and Ginobili, and by Pop's coaching tree..

the years the Spurs lost..the luckiest shot in NBA history in 0.4, Manu's unnecessary foul in 2006, Manu hurt and the Barry foul vs. LA..it's not like we weren't there..

you don't even have to look as far as the 90's..I still remember the early 2000s, where Duncan would be swarmed constantly, and nobody else on the team was able to make anything, especially the perimeter players..2003 was the beginning of history, now we have to hope that we can squeeze out another one or two as Timmy ages..

toki9
05-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Give me a freaking break...we're in the middle of one of the worst recessions in the past 50 years at least, unemployment rate is climbing, homeowners are being foreclosed, the stock market has dropped +30% of its value in 18 months, the country is facing a projected budget deficit of 1.8 trillion dollars this year, with the the government borrowing $1 for every $2 it spends...

And some fans complain about one of the most fiscally responsible franchises in all of sports because of their fiscal discipline? This is the franchise that declined the credit line arranged by the league to help out troubled owners this year, a remarkable feat for any franchise in this era of big-money athletes, let alone a small market franchise...

Complaining that the Spurs don't have more championships (because having 4 is not great on its own, even though the Celtics (17), the Lakers (14), and the Bulls (6) are the only ones with more championships than the Spurs) is like complaining someone doesn't have better furniture at home because that person doesn't want to max-out his/her credit cards...

I'm sorry for the rant, but it's really annoying to read this kind of post when i see friends and families getting laid off left and right and homes being foreclosed all over the country...

Some perspective, please?

JWest596
05-16-2009, 02:50 AM
Noooooooooooope!!!

Red McCombs, Angelo Drossos, Peter Holt, et al (Spurs owners past & present), have been very smart with finances. Look at the various teams in all the Major League sports who have the biggest payroll and year after year they are at the bottom in wins.

Paying big bucks to some of the spoiled brats today will only buy you headaches and heartaches. Nobody has ever said the three Spurs owners I've mentioned above by name were not smart businessmen. They have made their money the hard way....they've earned it.

And if you don't believe me just ask fans of the Knicks and Mavs...what has the big spending brought them???? I rest my case!

The Spurs are coming back with a vengeance....and you can take that to the bank!

The Spurs were the least desired team in the NBA merger in 76 because our media market was the smallest and most regionalized. Not much has changed since then. We are still one of the smallest market teams in the NBA.

This team is frugal because it has to be. The Alamodome as a venue is within living memory as was the Malik Rose contract that would have been a real financial burden had it stayed. In fact, the AT&T Center was the result of a long time record of success and work. IMO, Tim and DROB got it paid for but Angelo Drossos, Spur's least wealthiest owner sweated blood to keep them in SA and is little remembered for it. He was largely responsible for the NBA allowing the 3 pt play. It was said Red Auerbach did every thing possible to stop Drossos. Drossos never saw a Spurs Championship and died in 1997. The Spurs are still here because of him and his "cheapness". Red McCombs wasn't always a billionaire either. And he could have made a lot more money selling the Spurs than what he got.

I have no doubt that this team would have moved w/o it and it took a championship to make it a reality. They built the Alamodome on a whim and a possibility while the HemisFair Arena was past its prime. Mission (Wolfe) Stadium was built before ATT&T. And the resistance to it was not a small matter because in reality San Antonio is a poor town in regards to Dallas, Houston, LA, NY Boston, etc.
It still is.

This team's financial difficulties incurred by the owners in the past almost caused this team to be moved/sold on two different occasions that I can remember. The moves were real possibilities. This team operates on a slim budget, it always has. It has no choice.

With that said...

This team has had the fewest lotto years than any other team in the NBA even better than Los Angeles. Four (only 4) lotto years since 1973. Pretty damn impressive for a team that uses the luxury tax rebate in it operating budget. It has always been a prominent playoff team since the move to San Antonio. Going overboard is not an option as NBA franchises are not an inexpensive business. The Spurs have no choice.

When the Spurs went over the luxury tax a few years back by $700,000, we paid the $700K penalty and lost out on the $2.5 million luxury tax rebate paid for by luxury tax teams and given to non-luxury tax teams. So that 700K cost the Spurs about 4 million dollars and I doubt the owners ever see a dime of it.

This team has done the most with the least than any other NBA team.
End of discussion.

So the cheap tag is bullshit. It's disrespectful to Holt and the organization who have dome a masterful magnificent job maximizing and making the Spurs the winiest pro franchise in all of US sports of the last decade. And with all due respect...grow up. It's funny how all the answers are on the premise notion of what they should do using someone else's money.

Peter Holt and the other owners are under no obligation to incur debts and liabilities for the schemes of fans. If money was the cure, then where are all the O'Brien trophies in New York and Dallas? No modern teams spent more and received less.

And other NBA teams aren't raiding and recruiting our front office staff because we're "cheap". Donald Sterling is living proof that "cheap" gets you dick.

So for all the Spurs fans who are whining and acting like trust fund babies who have the answers, you don't have a clue because in the real world money doesn't grow on trees or is an entitlement.

Be grateful and thankful for this team, it's owners past and present and this organization and shove the "cheap" tag up your ass. It's highly undeserved unless you're willing to spend your own money. And few rarely put their own money where their mouth is.

mosdef17
05-16-2009, 03:16 AM
Maybe we should say, because the Spurs are careful and smart with their money we are not like New York, Dallas , Clippers and Suns; MEGA Salaries with absolutely nothing to show for it. "Only" four titles? Yes, it could have been more, but four is a LOT.

toki9
05-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Great post!

The Spurs were the least desired team in the NBA merger in 76 because our media market was the smallest and most regionalized. Not much has changed since then. We are still one of the smallest market teams in the NBA.

This team is frugal because it has to be. The Alamodome as a venue is within living memory as was the Malik Rose contract that would have been a real financial burden had it stayed. In fact, the AT&T Center was the result of a long time record of success and work. IMO, Tim and DROB got it paid for but Angelo Drossos, Spur's least wealthiest owner sweated blood to keep them in SA and is little remembered for it. He was largely responsible for the NBA allowing the 3 pt play. It was said Red Auerbach did every thing possible to stop Drossos. Drossos never saw a Spurs Championship and died in 1997. The Spurs are still here because of him and his "cheapness". Red McCombs wasn't always a billionaire either. And he could have made a lot more money selling the Spurs than what he got.

I have no doubt that this team would have moved w/o it and it took a championship to make it a reality. They built the Alamodome on a whim and a possibility while the HemisFair Arena was past its prime. Mission (Wolfe) Stadium was built before ATT&T. And the resistance to it was not a small matter because in reality San Antonio is a poor town in regards to Dallas, Houston, LA, NY Boston, etc.
It still is.

This team's financial difficulties incurred by the owners in the past almost caused this team to be moved/sold on two different occasions that I can remember. The moves were real possibilities. This team operates on a slim budget, it always has. It has no choice.

With that said...

This team has had the fewest lotto years than any other team in the NBA even better than Los Angeles. Four (only 4) lotto years since 1973. Pretty damn impressive for a team that uses the luxury tax rebate in it operating budget. It has always been a prominent playoff team since the move to San Antonio. Going overboard is not an option as NBA franchises are not an inexpensive business. The Spurs have no choice.

When the Spurs went over the luxury tax a few years back by $700,000, we paid the $700K penalty and lost out on the $2.5 million luxury tax rebate paid for by luxury tax teams and given to non-luxury tax teams. So that 700K cost the Spurs about 4 million dollars and I doubt the owners ever see a dime of it.

End of discussion.

So the cheap tag is bullshit. It's disrespectful to Holt and the organization who have dome a masterful magnificent job maximizing and making the Spurs the winiest pro franchise in all of US sports of the last decade. And with all due respect...grow up. It's funny how all the answers are on the premise notion of what they should do using someone else's money.

Peter Holt and the other owners are under no obligation to incur debts and liabilities for the schemes of fans. If money was the cure, then where are all the O'Brien trophies in New York and Dallas? No modern teams spent more and received less.

And other NBA teams aren't raiding and recruiting our front office staff because we're "cheap". Donald Sterling is living proof that "cheap" gets you dick.

So for all the Spurs fans who are whining and acting like trust fund babies who have the answers, you don't have a clue because in the real world money doesn't grow on trees or is an entitlement.

Be grateful and thankful for this team, it's owners past and present and this organization and shove the "cheap" tag up your ass. It's highly undeserved unless you're willing to spend your own money. And few rarely put their own money where their mouth is.

Biernutz
05-16-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm just shattered. Throw the Spurs out of the ATT and bring in Soccer.

Biggems
05-16-2009, 06:54 PM
4 = 4th most in NBA History. I am very happy with that. Considering we are a small market and have to penny pinch year in and year out, having 4 titles is completely awesome.

we are only behind the two best franchises in league history, Celtics and Lakers, and the Jordan/Pippen Bulls. All 3 are big city, big market teams. The Bulls have been shitty for most of their history. Really only the Jordan years have been fruitful for that team, but boy was that some sweet and fulfilling fruit for that team and their fans.

So stop complaining about only having 4 Championships. We have those 4 and the 2nd best winning percentage of all time.

GO SPURS GO

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2009, 07:38 PM
4 = 4th most in NBA History.

It's better than that.

Since the merger (which is the only point after which the Spurs could have done anything about it), only 2 franchises have won more titles:

Lakers - 8 (80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 03)
Bulls - 6 (91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98)
Spurs - 4 (99, 03, 05, 07)
Celtics - 4 (81, 84, 86, 08)
Pistons - 3 (89, 90, 04)
Rockets - 2 (94, 95)
Blazers - 1 (77)
Wizards - 1 (78)
Thunder - 1 (79)
Sixers - 1 (83)
Heat - 1 (06)

JustBlaze
05-16-2009, 10:42 PM

4 is better than none you ungrateful bastard. Folks here in Denver would kill to win even one ring.:lol

JustBlaze
05-16-2009, 10:47 PM
It's better than that.

Since the merger (which is the only point after which the Spurs could have done anything about it), only 2 franchises have won more titles:

Lakers - 8 (80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 03)
Bulls - 6 (91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98)
Spurs - 4 (99, 03, 05, 07)
Celtics - 4 (81, 84, 86, 08)
Pistons - 3 (89, 90, 04)
Rockets - 2 (94, 95)
Blazers - 1 (77)
Wizards - 1 (78)
Thunder - 1 (79)
Sixers - 1 (83)
Heat - 1 (06)
Nuggets - 1 (ABA Conference Title-76'):hat:king

SouthTexasRancher
05-17-2009, 12:17 AM
because the spurs are cheap we only have...

Originally Posted by SouthTexasRancher http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3397828#post3397828)
Noooooooooooope!!!

It still is.

With that said...

End of discussion.

Not quite figuring your post out because in the 2nd part or latter part you sound like you are balsting me for saying what you said but in fewer words. I was praising the Spurs ownership for doing such a great job in a market like ours and was DISagreeing with the one who started this thread. I will wait till I get a response from you as to whom you were directing your post to. By quoting me it looks like you misunderstood my post or you were actually blasting the originator of this particular thread and used my post as a point of agreement with you.

JWest596
05-17-2009, 01:50 AM
or you were actually blasting the originator of this particular thread and used my post as a point of agreement with you.

My apologies for any confusion. You are correct.

spurzzzz
05-17-2009, 02:15 AM
I remember the pre-championship days in the seventies and eighties when we would have killed for JUST ONE. Anyone who has started cheering for the Spurs since 1999 is truly blessed. This was definitely a down year because of injuries and poor play by many of your role players. But I believe we have a good chance to be right back in it for the next few years. And, if our window HAS closed, I will still love the spurs until the day I die.

afireinside20
05-17-2009, 02:48 AM
Everybody already knows how I feel about this, I rant about fans that complain about this shit..

4 fucking titles, the most of this decade..if you count the lockout season, which you obviously should, the Spurs have the LONGEST streak of consecutive 50-win seasons in NBA history..we've influenced the NBA much more than any other team, as you can see by the influence of drafting Parker and Ginobili, and by Pop's coaching tree..

the years the Spurs lost..the luckiest shot in NBA history in 0.4, Manu's unnecessary foul in 2006, Manu hurt and the Barry foul vs. LA..it's not like we weren't there..

you don't even have to look as far as the 90's..I still remember the early 2000s, where Duncan would be swarmed constantly, and nobody else on the team was able to make anything, especially the perimeter players..2003 was the beginning of history, now we have to hope that we can squeeze out another one or two as Timmy ages..

That is so true, most of the time something would always hold us back from getting all the way. You can even add Derek Anderson's injury, caused by Juwan Howard. Once he went down, Tim's help went out the door with him.

SouthTexasRancher
05-17-2009, 12:58 PM
My apologies for any confusion. You are correct.

Thanks for responding....no apologies are necessary. I just wasn't sure about the last part. Nice post, btw!

Avitus1
05-17-2009, 01:12 PM
hey as someone who was a fan pre-1999....i will take "just" 4. :toast

+1