PDA

View Full Version : Is artest on drugs?

pauls931
05-15-2009, 09:38 AM
I mean like riddlin or vikadin or whatever the stuff is that calms people down. He's been very stable this season. Is Adleman keeping one of his nuts captive with a sledge hammer nearby?

to21
05-15-2009, 09:39 AM
I thought the same thing earlier this series.

Ritalin, Thorazine FTW!

stretch
05-15-2009, 09:50 AM
hes been on meds for a few years now, which is why he has generally been a lot more controlled the past few seasons. he has an actual medical problem, some kind of chemical imbalance that makes him act out of the ordinary. kinda like bi-polar people. sometimes he really can't help it much and doesnt even realize what hes doing.

to21
05-15-2009, 09:56 AM
OOPS! Didn't know that....

stretch
05-15-2009, 10:00 AM
obviously he still does some nutty things from time to time, but i think hes a pretty good guy. i mean he offered to give up his entire year salary to keep Bonzi Wells on the Kings, as well as to keep Rick Adelman as coach of Sacramento.

flamingdts
05-15-2009, 10:24 AM
obviously he still does some nutty things from time to time, but i think hes a pretty good guy. i mean he offered to give up his entire year salary to keep Bonzi Wells on the Kings, as well as to keep Rick Adelman as coach of Sacramento.

He is a great player and a good person.

Look up some REAL news on google and you'll find some jounalists who willingly admit themselves wrong about Artest when they found out kids love him and how much he helps those in need.

The media is driven by profit, I'm not suprised if they kept stomping on Artest if it meant more views.

stretch
05-15-2009, 10:26 AM
agreed. its why you should never judge a book by its cover. everyone has their faults. just some peoples are more visible than others. doesnt mean they arent still a good person.

manufan10
05-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Yeah I totally love that hair cut. I think for next years playoffs I'm going to do the same. However, it will be with the Spur's logo.

manufan10
05-15-2009, 10:28 AM

Look up some REAL news on google and you'll find some jounalists who willingly admit themselves wrong about Artest when they found out kids love him and how much he helps those in need.

The media is driven by profit, I'm not suprised if they kept stomping on Artest if it meant more views.

I've read stories about that. I wouldn't mind having him on my team. I never really thought what happened in the brawl at the Palace was bad enough to hate on him.

pauls931
05-15-2009, 10:37 AM
I'd take him, I'm impressed with him. Especially after that tech on kobe where he ran away not giving kobe a chance to sucker him into a double tech. There's been numerous heated moments and it seems like artest is the guy trying to keep people out of trouble these days.

JoeTait75
05-15-2009, 10:37 AM

I've heard Stephen Jackson is the same way.

You get a reputation, it can be hard to shake.

I'd take Artest on the Cavaliers in a millisecond.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-15-2009, 10:38 AM
I've read stories about that. I wouldn't mind having him on my team. I never really thought what happened in the brawl at the Palace was bad enough to hate on him.

I didn't either. Ben Wallace started the fight and Artest actually was lying on the scorer's table trying to stay away from the fight until someone threw beer on him. yeah flying into the stands was a mistake but he paid for it by missing an entire season and always being known as the guy who ruined Reggie's last shot at a ring. Since then he's done a few crazy things but nothing harmful to other people.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I'd take him

He, Shaq and Amare would be a nasty front line especially if Amare ever decided to play defense.

He's probably shoot the team out of several games when he's in chuck 3 pointers mode but I'd take that with the defense and post up game he'd win a lot of games with.

GSH
05-15-2009, 10:41 AM
I feel sorry for Artest, sort of like John Daly in golf. He's carrying around a lot of baggage. And I really think he's worked hard to control himself. If that includes taking meds, good for him.

Whatever else you think about him, you have to admit he can play some ball. And even though he plays hard, I don't ever remember seeing him play dirty. I can't even fault him for some of the stuff he's gotten mad about. His reactions may be inappropriate, but a lot of the time I've agreed with him about what happened. When he loses control, he makes it easy for people to dismiss him.

lefty
05-15-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks God for Ron Artest.

He has been a joy to watch; he has been challenging, teasing, having fun despite his team's injuries

manufan10
05-15-2009, 10:46 AM
I didn't either. Ben Wallace started the fight and Artest actually was lying on the scorer's table trying to stay away from the fight until someone threw beer on him. yeah flying into the stands was a mistake but he paid for it by missing an entire season and always being known as the guy who ruined Reggie's last shot at a ring. Since then he's done a few crazy things but nothing harmful to other people.

Seriously, how many of us wouldn't have done the same thing in that situation? His emotions were already flowing overboard after almost getting into a fight with Ben Wallace, and then someone had the nerve to throw a beer on the guy. Sure it was the wrong thing to do, but most of us would have lost our cool with that too.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Seriously, how many of us wouldn't have done the same thing in that situation? His emotions were already flowing overboard after almost getting into a fight with Ben Wallace, and then someone had the nerve to throw a beer on the guy. Sure it was the wrong thing to do, but most of us would have lost our cool with that too.

You know he was too emotional and crazy to think clearly.....no one able to think clearly would run into a crowd full of Detroit people and start throwing punches.

pauls931
05-15-2009, 10:52 AM
He, Shaq and Amare would be a nasty front line especially if Amare ever decided to play defense.

He's probably shoot the team out of several games when he's in chuck 3 pointers mode but I'd take that with the defense and post up game he'd win a lot of games with.

Are you on drugs? I can't find where Amare gets traded in your post.

stretch
05-15-2009, 10:55 AM

Hell, I think even Dirk would have went into the stands, and confronted the fan in some way or another, and he's like the nicest guy in the league.

I agree with this post completely. It would be no different than if you were at work, and a buyer came and threw a cup of beer in your face. Sure, as a worker for that company, you are supposed to be held to a high standard, especially when its dealing with buyers. Fact is, you would still wanna beat their ass, and most likely would confront them in one way or another. I can't stand how people talk so much about how Ron Artest had no reason to be up there, bla bla bla. Yeah, it was wrong, but pretty much any ordinary person would have reacted in a similar manner.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Are you on drugs? I can't find where Amare gets traded in your post.

I'm too happy to argue today cause finals are over.

And I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Amare for next year if they trade Nash. I think he'd have a reality check season and his 2010 market value would go way down so the Suns could sign him for a discount.

pauls931
05-15-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm too happy to argue today cause finals are over.

And I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Amare for next year if they trade Nash. I think he'd have a reality check season and his 2010 market value would go way down so the Suns could sign him for a discount.

congrats on being done with finals.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-15-2009, 11:10 AM
congrats on being done with finals.

Thanks

The thing about Amare is at this point he needs Nash to be traded if he's going to have any sort of basketball relevance past the age of 30. The easy points Nash gets Amare off pick and rolls and drawing help defenders has hurt Amare's individual game a lot. The only way I ever see Amare developing a post game and legitimate individual offensive skill set is if Nash is traded.

robbie380
05-15-2009, 11:19 AM
hes been on meds for a few years now, which is why he has generally been a lot more controlled the past few seasons. he has an actual medical problem, some kind of chemical imbalance that makes him act out of the ordinary. kinda like bi-polar people. sometimes he really can't help it much and doesnt even realize what hes doing.

you have a link for that?

stretch
05-15-2009, 11:37 AM
you have a link for that?

im sure you can google something on it. i just remember seeing a segment on sportscenter a few years back about it, where they went into depth about his condition, interviewed him about it, and how the meds have helped him and stuff.

ambchang
05-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Let's not go overboard on this Artest lovefest because he is embarrassing Kobe and the Lakers at this point.

His comments about taking a leave to pursue a rap career while the Pacers stood by him for over a year was for at the very least irresponsible

His treatment of his dogs (whatever happened to that anyways?)

Domestic abuse claims.

Artest probably isn't that bad of a person if he's on meds, but let's not make him out to be some saint. Most people would NOT go into the stands to confront a fan if someone threw a beer at him. People got throw water bottles, coins, lighters and the bit all the time. Artest was the only one who ever got in the stands.

Artest kills offensive momentum on his team by pounding the ball non-stop, and he jacks up crazy 3 pointers. He is probably one of the best two-way players in the league over the last 5 years, though. Too bad it's not a game of 1-1.

pauls931
05-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Let's not go overboard on this Artest lovefest because he is embarrassing Kobe and the Lakers at this point.

His comments about taking a leave to pursue a rap career while the Pacers stood by him for over a year was for at the very least irresponsible

Domestic abuse claims.

Artest probably isn't that bad of a person if he's on meds, but let's not make him out to be some saint. Most people would NOT go into the stands to confront a fan if someone threw a beer at him. People got throw water bottles, coins, lighters and the bit all the time. Artest was the only one who ever got in the stands.

Artest kills offensive momentum on his team by pounding the ball non-stop, and he jacks up crazy 3 pointers. He is probably one of the best two-way players in the league over the last 5 years, though. Too bad it's not a game of 1-1.

Only in utah....

urunobili
05-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Xanax

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Only in utah....

That would really suck. If a player on the opposing team got in a fight with the fans in Utah he would also have to worry about the refs considering their allegiance to Utah fans.

stretch
05-15-2009, 11:53 AM

Domestic abuse claims.

I don't think anyone here said anything about him being a saint or anything like that. All that was said is he is a good basketball player, and a good person at heart that deals with some unfortunate medical and mental conditions.

And I'd like record of all the times that an NBA player was at a game, minding his own business, when suddenly having a beer thrown in his face, and didn't bother to confront the fan about it, since according to you, most people have dealt with that and wouldn't do such a thing. Hell Antonio Daniels jumped into the stands during a game just because he saw someone arguing with his wife.

TampaDude
05-15-2009, 12:21 PM
When people mention Artest, the first thing everyone thinks of is the Malice in the Palace. He has a "reputation" that takes time to shake off. He's one of the top players in the NBA, no doubt, and even though he's calmed down a lot, he's still a badass motherfucker...Kobe don't want none of that, trust me!

coldsweat
05-15-2009, 12:44 PM
contract year

ambchang
05-15-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't think anyone here said anything about him being a saint or anything like that. All that was said is he is a good basketball player, and a good person at heart that deals with some unfortunate medical and mental conditions.

And I'd like record of all the times that an NBA player was at a game, minding his own business, when suddenly having a beer thrown in his face, and didn't bother to confront the fan about it, since according to you, most people have dealt with that and wouldn't do such a thing. Hell Antonio Daniels jumped into the stands during a game just because he saw someone arguing with his wife.

Antonio Daniels was checking out whether his wife was OK, not throwing punches.

And I take it back, it was Artest and Vernon Maxwell. Even though the heckler in the Maxwell case deserved every punch he got, it still doesn't change the fact that Maxwell was a nutcase and one of the only two players to go into the stands and punching out people.

mingus
05-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Seriously, how many of us wouldn't have done the same thing in that situation?

umm ... Ron Artest went into the stands and went after the wrong guy . i don't think many people at all would go into a crowd and start punching someone if they didn't know for certain who they were punching ...

E20
05-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Artest is pretty fucking badass.

I'd take him on the Spurs. His soundbytes would just be worth it.

mingus
05-15-2009, 05:44 PM

i don't know what you mean when you say "good person at heart," but just read his Wikipedia page under "Legal Troubles." ... he was charged with dometic abuse as recently as '07 ... hard to call someone who abuses his wife a "good person."

his intentions weren't necessarily wrong (i think anyone who throws a beer at you should get his ass beat) , but his execution was bad (he went after the wrong guy , plus the fact that he excaberated the situation into something that it didn't have to be) ... Detroit , drunk fans , blowout loss , Stephen Jackson - he should have realized that when these four ingredients are present , nothing good could come from going into the stands ...

E20
05-15-2009, 05:56 PM
he was charged with dometic abuse as recently as '07 ... hard to call someone who abuses his wife a "good person."
He was mentally unstable then.

Artest has gone on the record saying that he doesn't like taking his meds because they affect how he plays in a basketball game lowering his game and how he goes on binges where he doesn't take anything. He was then scolded by the Kings for not taking them and now he takes them regularly.

E20
05-15-2009, 06:06 PM
In 2008, Artest appeared in a video promoting companion animal spaying and neutering for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals entitled "Have the balls to spay and neuter your dog." lol

mingus
05-15-2009, 06:14 PM
He was mentally unstable then.

Artest has gone on the record saying that he doesn't like taking his meds because they affect how he plays in a basketball game lowering his game and how he goes on binges where he doesn't take anything. He was then scolded by the Kings for not taking them and now he takes them regularly.

mentally ill or not , i'm not about to call him a "good person." he beat his fucking wife ... it would take something profound for me to change my mind ... wife beaters are not in my circle of friends ...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Artest seems to be pretty okay. He seriously has a mental disability/imbalance so he's just misunderstood and has a bad reputation, so it's hard to knock him completely. He's actually lucky to be in the NBA, to have coaches, team staff watching over his meds, etc.

Hell, I think even Dirk would have went into the stands, and confronted the fan in some way or another, and he's like the nicest guy in the league.

I agree with this post completely. It would be no different than if you were at work, and a buyer came and threw a cup of beer in your face. Sure, as a worker for that company, you are supposed to be held to a high standard, especially when its dealing with buyers. Fact is, you would still wanna beat their ass, and most likely would confront them in one way or another. I can't stand how people talk so much about how Ron Artest had no reason to be up there, bla bla bla. Yeah, it was wrong, but pretty much any ordinary person would have reacted in a similar manner.

I remember after the brawl I didn't give Artest the benefit of the doubt. But now I sympathize less with the fans in retrospect.

Regardless, the fans treated the players as if they were at the zoo or something. Like you said, a buyer taking advantage of their "customer" status.

Although didn't ARtest punch the wrong guy??? :rollin

E20
05-15-2009, 06:18 PM
mentally ill or not , i'm not about to call him a "good person." he beat his fucking wife ... it would take something profound for me to change my mind ... wife beaters are not in my circle of friends ...

Can't expect a mentally unstable guy to be a 'good person' all the time.

Ice009
05-15-2009, 09:23 PM
I don't know about Ron as a person, but I love his game. He is my type of player and I actually wanted the Spurs to trade for him last season at the trade deadline.

Anyway, game 7 I think is the time for Ron to break out with his best game of the series and have a huge game offensively and defensively.

Caltex2
05-16-2009, 12:15 AM
You know he was too emotional and crazy to think clearly.....no one able to think clearly would run into a crowd full of Detroit people and start throwing punches.

:lol