PDA

View Full Version : HBO's 'Hard Knocks' Set to Chronicle...

manufan10
05-15-2009, 11:23 AM
The Bengals!

HBO's 'Hard Knocks' to chronicle Bengals training camp

Associated Press

CINCINNATI -- The star-crossed Bengals are about to become HBO's latest stars.
The cable channel and NFL Films chose one of the least successful and most dysfunctional teams of the past 18 years for its next "Hard Knocks" training camp series.

"We just think there's an interesting mix of personalities," NFL Films president Steve Sabol said Thursday.
It will be very personality-driven, given the team's lack of success and national profile. The Bengals (4-11-1) were so uninteresting to the NFL's schedule makers that they got no prime-time games this season.
HBO wasn't put off. Even though the Bengals have had only one winning record since 1991, they could provide some interesting subplots for the five-episode program that begins Aug. 12 and airs each week:
» Will camera-shy owner Mike Brown let down his guard and provide glimpse of how he runs the team?
» Will HBO have to change the name of the program from "Hard Knocks" to "Chad Talks ... And Talks ... And Talks ... "?
» Can coach Marvin Lewis use the exposure to resurrect the Bengals' image?
"Your exposure is based on you being successful," Lewis said. "If you're not successful, you get no exposure."
Lewis was the point man in getting the Bengals a few rare hours in the cable TV schedule. NFL Films had approached him about doing "Hard Knocks" in the past, but he turned it down because he didn't think his team was mature enough to handle it.
Now, he thinks it can.
The Bengals went through a stretch of 10 players arrested during a 14-month span from April 2006 to June 2007. They've weeded out most of the offenders, though Brown decided to bring back receiver Chris Henry after his fifth arrest. Henry has one more year left on his contract, and could be one of the players followed during camp.
The HBO appearance could help to change the Bengals' national profile, provided the players stay out of trouble.
"Once we're broadcasting to 50 states and 30 million subscribers have access to this, the Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN) will take on a more national scope," HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg said. "We've seen that."
The program first aired in 2001 and featured the Baltimore Ravens (http://www.nfl.com/teams/baltimoreravens/profile?team=BAL), who were coming off their Super Bowl season. Lewis was the defensive coordinator.
"Hard Knocks" followed the Dallas Cowboys in 2002, was gone for five years, then returned with Kansas City's training camp in 2007. It returned to Dallas last year, where receiver Terrell Owens (http://www.nfl.com/players/terrellowens/profile?id=OWE755129) got much of the camera time.
NFL Films can count on spending time with another flamboyant receiver, although it will be interesting to see what Chad Ochocinco (http://www.nfl.com/players/chadochocinco/profile?id=JOH104425) does in the spotlight. After failing to get the team to trade him last year, he kept a low profile during the season -- a pleasing development to Lewis.

Now, his love of the spotlight will be tested.
"Ochocinco will be in this show, don't worry about that," Greenburg said.
Brown's role will be perhaps the most interesting. "Hard Knocks" puts cameras and microphones in meeting rooms to watch how team executives make decisions on players.
Brown runs the team and functions as its de facto general manager, making all the important decisions during the last 18 years. He also shies away from the media, especially television cameras. He agreed to let the team participate in the HBO show, but Brown didn't attend a news conference on Thursday announcing it.
"That's something we'll learn in the first week, how involved Mike is," Sabol said. "And to whatever extent, he'll be covered."
Lewis, who has two years left on his contract, will be a focal point. Greenburg compared him to a movie star -- two movie stars, no less -- when describing what interests him about the Bengals.
"You've got Mike Brown -- Paul Brown's son -- a franchise that's rooted in the history of the NFL," Greenburg said. "You've got a Denzel Washington-slash-Tom Hanks leader for this football team, who's charismatic and I think gives us the presence that we need at the top."
Lewis barely cracked a smile over the remark.
"There's a story to tell here," Greenburg said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810520b6&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

ATRAIN
05-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Im still waiting for a Texans hard knocks but doubt that will ever happen.

samikeyp
05-15-2009, 11:30 AM
You don't want that Train.....

Only Baltimore in 01 made the playoffs after having Hard Knocks there before the season.

manufan10
05-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Im still waiting for a Texans hard knocks but doubt that will ever happen.

They've had the KC Chiefs, the Jaguars and now the Bengals, so I'm pretty sure that Houston may be there soon. They have a better team than the Bengals and Chiefs. However, it might be because they don't have all the drama as some of them. I don't know. Cowboys had Pacman/T.O. are characters who are filled with drama. Bengals have Chad Ochocinco and all the players that get into trouble with the law. Texans, as far as I know, don't really have a lot of drama on their team (which is a good thing). No one is getting arrested, fighting with teammates etc.

ATRAIN
05-15-2009, 11:56 AM
You don't want that Train.....

Only Baltimore in 01 made the playoffs after having Hard Knocks there before the season.

Yeah I was thinking that but its like the Madden cover curse.....haha its not really true. PLUS we have never made the playoffs so couldnt be any worse lol.

DBryant88
05-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah I was thinking that but its like the Madden cover curse.....haha its not really true. PLUS we have never made the playoffs so couldnt be any worse lol.

this WILL be the season that they make the playoffs

i wish the best for you J.T.:toast

ATRAIN
05-15-2009, 01:30 PM
this WILL be the season that they make the playoffs

i wish the best for you J.T.:toast

How wild card? You do you think we are going to surpass the Colts or Titans?

manufan10
05-15-2009, 01:49 PM
I think it's very plausible that Houston makes it to the playoffs this year. Last year the playoff teams were:

Miami, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Tennessee, Indianapolis; on the bubble: New England, New York, and Houston.

Some important match-ups would be W1 - NYJ, W5 - @ Arizona, W16 - @ Mia, W17 @ NE. Of course they have to do well in their division. If the Texans win 3 of those games, then Houston will make it to the playoffs. They have some games against some weaker teams: W4 - Oak, W6 - @Cin, W7 - SF, W14 - Sea, and W15 - @StL. Texans win those they will have 5 wins. If they go home and home within the division that will give them 3 more wins. That in turn would give them 8 wins on the season, then comes in the important games I mentioned earlier. They HAVE to win those games to make the playoffs if they split the games within the division. The Texans have a very high chance of making it into the playoffs this year. They just have to go out and win the games they should, and show up and play well against the others. If I remember correctly they have played extremely well against the Colts, and I think that bodes well for them this year.

NewJerSpur
05-15-2009, 01:51 PM
If Carson stays healthy this year and the Bengals don't get it done, Lewis is likely on his way out. Should be an entertaining program.

mardigan
05-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Can't wait to watch Roy Williams doing tackling drills.

manufan10
05-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Carson Palmer takes a dig at Ochocinco:

It looks like HBO's "Hard Knocks" might have a ready-made story angle awaiting its first visit to Cincinnati Bengals training camp this summer.

Yes, it involves Chad Ochocinco.

Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer took a swipe at Ochocinco's absence from the team's voluntary offseason workouts on Tuesday in an interview on Sirius NFL Radio. He referred to the enigmatic wide receiver in the past tense and heaped praise on other wideouts who have been in camp -- and could take Ochocinco's place in the lineup.

"It's definitely a new look for the Bengals receiver corps but I couldn't be happier with the guys we've got," Palmer said Tuesday during the Sirius NFL Radio "Movin' The Chains" show, according to The Cincinnati Enquirer. "T.J. [Houshmandzadeh's] gone and Chad's pretty much gone, he hasn't been here, so we've got guys that want those two spots, guys that compete day in and day out, when we're out there on the field, running, conditioning and in the weight room lifting. They're guys that want to take over for those two spots. They look every bit capable of doing what we're going to ask them to do."

When asked what he expects out of Ochocinco this season, Palmer told NFL Sirius Radio: "Well, I really don't know. I haven't talked to him. I haven't talked to anybody that has talked to him. He wasn't here last year so I'm expecting him not to be here at all this year. Last year I think he was here for the mandatory camp but didn't participate in it. So I'm planning on him not being here just because he hasn't been here yet."

Palmer also complimented receivers Laveranues Coles, Andre Caldwell and Jerome Simpson. And he made a point of noting that Chris Henry, who has been troubled by legal issues the past few years, has made great strides and could step in for Ochocinco.
"We've got Chris Henry ... He's a guy that's had a great offseason, really turned his life around. I'm excited to watch him play," Palmer told NFL Sirius Radio. "He's a guy that seems like he catches a touchdown every other ball that's thrown to him, he's that explosive. He's kind of taken over for Chad's position and he's a guy that, like I said earlier, does not want to give up that spot right now."
Ochocinco is reportedly training in Los Angeles, and is expected to attend the Bengals' mandatory minicamp June 18-20, the Enquirer reported.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4192023