PDA

View Full Version : Would it be the greatest upset of all time?

sook
05-15-2009, 01:54 PM
The reason i think it would be...is because i can't even fathom the rockets winning at this point. I am still befuddled on how they are doing it. The Bobcats and The thunder are probably better than us talent wise.:wakeup

z0sa
05-15-2009, 01:55 PM
if houston beats LA tonight, hou will officially be my 2nd favorite team forever.

IronMexican
05-15-2009, 01:56 PM
It would be up there. I don't think it's #1, but probably top 3.

sook
I am having such trouble even thinking about it....Game 7 in their building...when they have 3 7' in their lineup compared to our 6'6" C.

Its just way too out there. IT WON'T HAPPEN.

Blake
2007 Warriors

199? Nuggets

E20
05-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't even consider the 2007 Warriors an upset. It was clear that Golden State was just better than Dallas based on matchups.

sook
2007 Warriors

199? Nuggets

Uhhh the 2007 warriors were assembled really well. Baron Davis, J Rich, Biedrins, they had a damn good roster.

Aaron Brooks
Shane B
Artest
Scola
Hayes

compared to

Fish
Kobe
Odom
Gasol
Bynum

The rockets won't turn chicken shit in to chicken salad again...book it.

sook
I wouldn't even consider the 2007 Warriors an upset. It was clear that Golden State was just better than Dallas based on matchups.

Exactly.

And the Nuggets had a prime Mutumbo.

sonic21
a team without its best player beating a 1st seed would be the greatest upset

samikeyp
05-15-2009, 01:59 PM
No.

poop
05-15-2009, 01:59 PM
they are doing it because they are playing with more effort and heart than almost any team ive ever seen. this team would make the '95 rockets proud. its the opposite of the lakers; they have soooo much talent but they play like a bunch of entitled, soft pampered vaginas. the rockets are missing their two top scorers, their two centers, and are literally using a few 6-7 guys as centers against what was considered the most talented and tallest frontline in the league. what a grea overall story this has been, even if they lose sunday.

for the lakers, all the money, hype, and talent in the world cant buy you heart.

sook
05-15-2009, 02:00 PM
I think it is irrefutable. Not even the worst team in the league is assembled as the current rockets. Those teams were the 8 seed. This team wouldn't even make the playoffs during the reg season

peskypesky
05-15-2009, 02:01 PM
i think it would be easily the greatest upset. the Lakers have just laid waste to the West in the regular season (and even beat the Cavs in Cleveland). they were so far out ahead no one could even hope to catch them. and then to lose to a team which is missing it's two top players....and both of their centers?

yes, the biggest upset of all time.i've got my fingers crossed and i've set up an altar to the basketball gods. i just need a candidate for the human sacrifice and i'm thinking Matt Bonner.

baseline bum
05-15-2009, 02:02 PM
LA would definitely steal the title of greatest choker ever from the 07 Mavs if they blow this series.

Blake
05-15-2009, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't even consider the 2007 Warriors an upset.

Then you're an idiot.

manufan10
05-15-2009, 02:07 PM
I think it would be one of the greatest upsets in the history of the NBA. I mean GS beating the Mavs was thrilling, however, they had everyone 100%. The same can be said of Mutombo's Nuggets. What really is amazing is that this Rockets team has continued to win, even as their own fans have counted them out. When their own player has said that the Lakers are going to win it all. This team has incredible heart and effort. I'd rather build my team with guys like that, then with guys who think they are God's gift to basketball. Even if the other guy has all the talent in the world; I would rather have someone who will work his butt off and leave it all on the floor. :toast

E20
05-15-2009, 02:08 PM
How is it an upset if team A(Golden State) was superior to team B(Dallas)?

Anybody who watched the Warriors that year, which I did since I live in the Oakland area, knew that when Golden State played Dallas in the regular season they absoultely killed them and the Warriors players were fit to beat Dallas's players easily, making them the better squad.

JamStone
05-15-2009, 02:09 PM
I think we have to see it happen and in what manner it happens first in order to rank it. Hypothetically, say Kobe gets injured in the first quarter and sits out the rest of the game, it changes things. Or say Gasol is in foul trouble the entire game. This Rockets team does offer nice match-up problems for the Lakers. Two elite defenders on the wings to take turns making it hard for Kobe; impressive speed and quickness at the point guard position that has proven to give the Lakers problems dating back to last year; and front court players that get physical and bang. Talent wise, the Lakers obviously have the edge. But, for some reason, the Rockets even without Yao Ming, have a very good match-up against them. It's not even ridiculous to say the Rockets match up better against the Lakers without Yao. It doesn't hurt when Scola and Landry play out of their butts. But, we'll wait and see until it actually happens.

Was there similar talk before game 7 in the first round between the Celtics and the Hawks last year? I don't really remember.

Blake
05-15-2009, 02:12 PM
How is it an upset if team A(Golden State) was superior to team B(Dallas)?

just might be the dumbest argument ever.

if that's the case then there is no such thing as an upset.

dirk4mvp
05-15-2009, 02:13 PM
E20, you shouldn't wast your time arguing with someone who thinks Ben Wallace is better than Hakeem.

09 Lakers > 07 Mavs

07 Warriors > 09 Rockets w/o Yao and McGrady

So yes, it would be a bigger upset.

NBA Junkie
05-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Charles Barkley said it best when he said that effort can beat talent, particularly lazy talent, which aptly describes the Lakers at times.

E20
05-15-2009, 02:14 PM
just might be the dumbest argument ever.

if that's the case then there is no such thing as an upset.

An upset is when a team whose players have no chance against the other teams players somehow win.

If you look at the Rockets active roster it is outmatched by the Lakers, but the Rockets are still winning for some reason.

Golden State's roster had a great chance of beating Dallas's.

BlackSwordsMan
05-15-2009, 02:16 PM
UTSA cut back on common sense

E20
05-15-2009, 02:17 PM
E20, you shouldn't wast your time arguing with someone who thinks Ben Wallace is better than Hakeem.

Only an idiot would say that.

Allanon
05-15-2009, 02:18 PM
It'd be a huge upset if the Rockets win, but it ain't gonna happen. Rockets put up a valiant fight but it's over.

Reasons why the Rockets will lose:
1) Sunday game on ABC
2) Game in Staples Center
3) Lakers wearing their Sunday white uniforms...I can't remember the last time they lost a game in their Sunday whites

dirk4mvp
05-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Only Blake, who happens to be an idiot would say that.

fixed

Blake
05-15-2009, 02:21 PM

never said that, but thanks any way

So yes, it would be a bigger upset.

e20 said 2007 wasn't even an upset. thanks for not reading again.

I shouldn't waste my time explaining this to someone that thinks dirk should be an mvp.

dirk4mvp
05-15-2009, 02:23 PM
That was almost as funny as your exercise bike threads.

lol thinking Ben Wallace is better than Hakeem

lol thinking Duncan is better than Hakeem

lol blake

Blake
05-15-2009, 02:24 PM
I read cannot or write

fixed

dirk4mvp
05-15-2009, 02:26 PM
"I read cannot or write" ?

Can't wait for you to edit that.

Blake
05-15-2009, 02:27 PM
That was almost as funny as your exercise bike threads.

you're almost as funny as dirk winning mvp

lol thinking Ben Wallace is better than Hakeem

lol no

lol thinking Duncan is better than Hakeem

lol yes

lol blake

lol me

Blake
05-15-2009, 02:28 PM
"I read cannot or write" ?

Can't wait for you to edit that.

you quick are

lol dipshit

sook
05-15-2009, 02:28 PM
hey dirk4mvp, who's that guy in your avatar...i've seen him before i just can't put my finger on it.

dirk4mvp
05-15-2009, 02:30 PM
hey dirk4mvp, who's that guy in your avatar...i've seen him before i just can't put my finger on it.

lol jeff spicoli

dirk4mvp
05-15-2009, 02:31 PM
lmao blake

sook
05-15-2009, 02:31 PM
ohhh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Spicoli
Jeff Spicoli is a fictional character from the 1982 comedy film Fast Times at Ridgemont High, played by Sean Penn.

Spicoli is depicted as a surfer dude who enjoys smoking marijuana. One of the first times the viewer sees Spicoli, he is late for Mr. Hand's U.S. History class. According to one of his classmates, he has been "stoned since the third grade." Throughout the film, Spicoli serves as the comic relief, usually opposite Mr. Hand in a series of amusing sketches. Spicoli's most famous scene is when he orders pizza during Mr. Hand's class. Mr. Hand then steals Spicoli's pizza and shares it with the other students in the class.

He is always short of money and does not have a job. When Hamilton asks him why he doesn't have one, Spicoli answers that all he needs are "some tasty waves and a cool buzz". He purportedly received a guitar pick from Mick Jagger, whom he claims to have met after a Rolling Stones concert in Anaheim, California. His closest pals are two unnamed surfer dudes played by Eric Stoltz and Anthony Edwards.

At the end of the movie, it is revealed that at some point in the future he saved Brooke Shields from drowning, and was rewarded with a large amount of money. He then blew it all by hiring Van Halen to play at his birthday. As the scene moves to the credits, Spicoli yells out, "Oh Gnarly! 420!"

The General Hospital character Damien Spinelli is based on this character.

samikeyp
05-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Upset? Yes, greatest, no.

Indazone
05-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Well I think it would be the greatest upset of all time. We're missing Deke, Yao, T-Mac and going at a full strength Los Angeles team.

Think of it like this. What if it were the opposite and the Rockets were at full strength and the Lakeshow were missing Bynum, Gasol and Kobe. What would happen?

manufan10
05-15-2009, 02:37 PM
For those who say it's not the greatest upset, then what series was the greatest upset in your mind?

sook
05-15-2009, 02:42 PM
For those who say it's not the greatest upset, then what series was the greatest upset in your mind?

exactly what I was thinking.

The only other 2 are the warriors and nuggets. Those 2 don't come close IMO

Blake
05-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Well I think it would be the greatest upset of all time. We're missing Deke, Yao, T-Mac and going at a full strength Los Angeles team.

Think of it like this. What if it were the opposite and the Rockets were at full strength and the Lakeshow were missing Bynum, Gasol and Kobe. What would happen?

the rockets won 22 games in a row last year, 10 without Yao. There's talent there.

They also won game 1 with Yao in LA, so they've won 2 games without him on their home court.

Upset, yes.

Greatest? debatable, and I'd say probably not.

sook
05-15-2009, 02:43 PM
the rockets won 22 games in a row last year, 10 without Yao. There's talent there.

They also won game 1 with Yao in LA, so they've won 2 games without him on their home court.

Upset, yes.

They had Tracy Mcgrady. People like to think he's useless....but the dude had unbelievable court vision,

Our entire offense last year -----------> T-Mac.

And they had a HOFer in Deke. This team has a sophmore PG and a Sophmore PF carrying all their load.

Trust me, the Rockets were giant underdogs last year but you have no idea what the disparity is talent wise between these 2 teams. I would take that one over this one any day of the week

Blake
05-15-2009, 02:46 PM
They had Tracy Mcgrady. People like to think he's useless....but the dude had unbelievable court vision,

they have Artest this year.

There's a drop off in talent there, but not a large amount.

win #22 last year: Lakers

sook
05-15-2009, 02:49 PM
they have Artest this year.

There's a drop off in talent there, but not a large amount.

win #22 last year: Lakers

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Please don't even compare the 2. Artest > Tmac defensively...and thats about it.

Have you seen all the shots Artest jacks up? We have to pray that the guy took his meds every game, he goes crazy. HE IS NOT A PLAYMAKER. He usually turns i t over when he tries. TNT crew called mcgrady the best passing wing in the NBA, not true anymore Lebron is way ahead of him now IMO.

Please don't say something stupid like that, T-Mac was simply amazing for the rockets last year.

sook
05-15-2009, 02:50 PM
T-Mac's importance last year wasn't scoring, it was passing and running the offense.

dirk4mvp
05-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Artest not a large drop off in talent from one of the best scorer's in the league? lmao

Brazil
05-15-2009, 02:53 PM
No doubt it would be the greatest upset ever but unfortunately it won't happen

sook
05-15-2009, 02:55 PM
rZO1F0nKJHg&feature=related

T-Mac did that one leg last season.

Artest scoring over 25 points is a huge deal. We just CAN'T depend on the guy to run or play within the offense. It drives me nuts but I'll accept him b.c of his toughness.

Blake
05-15-2009, 02:55 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Please don't even compare the 2. Artest > Tmac defensively...and thats about it.

Have you seen all the shots Artest jacks up? We have to pray that the guy took his meds every game, he goes crazy. HE IS NOT A PLAYMAKER. He usually turns i t over when he tries. TNT crew called mcgrady the best passing wing in the NBA, not true anymore Lebron is way ahead of him now IMO.

Please don't say something stupid like that, T-Mac was simply amazing for the rockets last year.

:lol

right. knock Artest to prove your point.

you're an idiot.

lefty
05-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Greatest upset: Spurs beating Mavs in the 2003 WCF

sook
05-15-2009, 02:59 PM

right. knock Artest to prove your point.

you're an idiot.

Knock artest??!??!?!

He is shooting 30 something % from the field and in the low 20% from 3.

Not only that, he runs stupid Iso plays for himself that deviates our entire offensive scheme. Artest is a good leader and plays defense.

I didn't think you could say dumber stuff than Ben Wallace being a better defender than olajuwon, but you seriously have a problem comparing players and their games.

sook
05-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Blake you are an unconditional idiot in my book. You have seriously topped some what i thought were the epitome of dumbass comments..

Don't tell me about my fucking team when I have watched 82 game seasons for about 9 years and you watch a couple of nationally televised games.

Douche.

sook
Blake you are an unconditional idiot in my book. You have seriously topped some what i thought were the epitome of dumbass comments in my book.

Don't tell me about my fucking team when I have watched 82 game seasons for about 9 years.

Blake
Artest not a large drop off in talent from one of the best scorer's in the league? lmao

Tmac is hugely better than one of the best defenders in the league that is averaging about 16 ppg in the playoffs, 17 in the 2nd round? lmao

sook
05-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Tmac is hugely better than one of the best defenders in the league that is averaging about 16 ppg in the playoffs, 17 in the 2nd round? lmao

Again did you actually do your research?

Rockets were a better defensive team last year, #2.

Artest gambles a lot. He is overrated defensively to say the least.

Blake
05-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Blake you are an unconditional idiot in my book. You have seriously topped some what i thought were the epitome of dumbass comments in my book.

you're book is written by an idiot.

Don't tell me about my fucking team when I have watched 82 game seasons for about 9 years.

you've watched your team for 9 years and i still have to explain your team to you.

You're an idiot outside my book.

sook
Shane Battier is the reason the rockets are a good defensive team, check our stats with him in and out.

Then again, i don't expect a little faggot like Blake to know anything, he continues to demonstrate his lack of understanding of the game. Or he is just trying to depict himself as a dumbass

Blake
Again did you actually do your research?

Rockets were a better defensive team last year, #2.

Artest gambles a lot. He is overrated defensively to say the least.

knocking Artest again to prove your point.

you are an idiot.

sook
05-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Ben Wallace > Hakeem

Blake is a genius and has room to talk about anything.

sook
05-15-2009, 03:06 PM

knocking Artest again to prove your point.

you are an idiot.

What are you talking about? I posted it, but you are as blind as you are stupid.

Knock artest??!??!?!

He is shooting 30 something % from the field and in the low 20% from 3.

Not only that, he runs stupid Iso plays for himself that deviates our entire offensive scheme. Artest is a good leader and plays defense.

I didn't think you could say dumber stuff than Ben Wallace being a better defender than olajuwon, but you seriously have a problem comparing players and their games.

sook
05-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Shooting sub 40% from the field and sub 30% from 3 is unacceptable.

Indazone
05-15-2009, 03:23 PM

Upset, yes.

Anytime you take 3 key players out of your lineup and leave your team with a 6'6" defender in the middle any victory against a playoff team is a huge upset.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Yes it would be. Rockets team right now has talent level of about 25-30 win team.

Ghazi
05-15-2009, 03:38 PM
25-30 win team?

Probably talent of a 35-43 win team.

Houston's role players are underrated by some.

Ghazi
05-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Anytime you take 3 key players out of your lineup and leave your team with a 6'6" defender in the middle any victory against a playoff team is a huge upset.

Mutumbo a key guy? How many minutes did he play this year? Fucking 100?

T-Mac a key guy? He was not a key guy this year in his injured state and the Rockets chugged along without him.

Gino
05-15-2009, 03:44 PM
I would say yes. Im in shock its gone this far.

Imagine the epic fury of Laker fans if they lost!!

manufan10
05-15-2009, 03:46 PM

T-Mac a key guy? He was not a key guy this year in his injured state and the Rockets chugged along without him.

T-Mac is still a starter, and would have helped in scoring for the Rockets. Then Artest wouldn't have to feel the need to throw up so many 3's. The Rockets are playing without 2 all-star starters, and a key reserve for Yao.

pauls931
05-15-2009, 04:03 PM
I think this would be the hugest upset, LA is completely loaded this year, Houston is very shorthanded. GS vs Dallas, GS was hurt much of the year and a higher seed quality wise that what they were. Nuggets over seattle is close, but denver was not short handed.

If LA loses this game, they should dissolve the franchise and let the Clippers have a home they can call their own.

TampaDude
05-15-2009, 04:10 PM
if houston beats LA tonight, hou will officially be my 2nd favorite team forever.

I would have no problem with the Rockets winning the title this year. Not saying it's gonna happen, but I'd be okay with it.

pauls931
05-15-2009, 04:13 PM
I would have no problem with the Rockets winning the title this year. Not saying it's gonna happen, but I'd be okay with it.

+1 and your sig sucks, come one, change it to match mine!

sexinthatsx
05-15-2009, 04:54 PM
I am having such trouble even thinking about it....Game 7 in their building...when they have 3 7' in their lineup compared to our 6'6" C.

Its just way too out there. IT WON'T HAPPEN.

For being a rockets fan you're a pretty big idiot for doubting your team. Height doesn't mean shit. Chuck Hayes is 6'6 yet he's still able to box out Pau Gasol for the boards or tap it out to teammates. Have you not been watching the games or something?

Indazone
05-15-2009, 04:57 PM

Mutumbo was a key guy. Adleman purposely saved him up for the playoffs. Losing him was a huge blow. T-Mac is supposed to be our Kobe Bryant. Losing him was also huge. Yao, nothing needs to be said about that. Best Center in the NBA.

TampaDude
05-15-2009, 04:59 PM
I would say yes. Im in shock its gone this far.

Imagine the epic fury of Laker fans if they lost!!

There would be riots...oh, wait...never mind... :lol

Banzai
05-15-2009, 05:16 PM
I thought Denver beating Seattle was an upset.

sook
05-15-2009, 05:57 PM
For being a rockets fan you're a pretty big idiot for doubting your team. Height doesn't mean shit. Chuck Hayes is 6'6 yet he's still able to box out Pau Gasol for the boards or tap it out to teammates. Have you not been watching the games or something?

You and I both know the lakers played like shit. I called the 40 point loss before it happened. Bynum and Pau starting is just too much, scola is a TERRIBLE 1 on 1 defender so that is my biggest worry. I'm not trying to doubt my team, i'm being realistic in every sense, no room for a letdown.

Indazone
05-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Game 7 win or go home. Rockets will come out firing on all cylinders. The 40 pt beatdown was good for them. Now they know what they have to do.

UrAphag
05-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Lakers win by 20+. No way in hell rockets can win.

Banzai
05-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Game 7 win or go home. Rockets will come out firing on all cylinders. The 40 pt beatdown was good for them. Now they know what they have to do.

So do the Lakers.

pauls931
05-15-2009, 06:51 PM
I just want Houston to play a tough game so LA can't rest any of their starters. Play f'in hard!!!! They exposed that LA can't deal with a quick guard, so get Brooks pumped up on PCP beforehand. Halftime have him snort some coke. During timeouts inject him with sweat from MJ's balls.

Amaso
05-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Why would it be an upset? Rockets are the clear favorite in this series. They just came out and beat a team they were supposed to beat, and they will win the game on Sunday if the Lakers dont hit their shots. Nothing surprising here.

Indazone
05-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Rockets are now the bigger TV draw over the Lakers. I think it would cost the league more not letting the Rockets advance if you consider the conspiracy theories.

Bruno
05-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Rockets quite sucks. If Lakers can't beat them, it will be a huge upset.

Double-Up
05-15-2009, 07:28 PM

As big an upset as Bowen's defense this past season? LOL...I kid, I kid.

Indazone
05-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Rockets are now the bigger TV draw over the Lakers. I think it would cost the league more not letting the Rockets advance if you consider the conspiracy theories.

Unless the Vegas Mafia got to them by betting on the Lakers in which case, the Rockets would have to lose despite being the bigger draw.

mardigan
05-15-2009, 07:38 PM
It would easily be the biggest upset of all time in the NBA.

resistanze
05-15-2009, 08:22 PM
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/jiloru/more%20animal/Praying_Kagura_pt__II_by_Photo_Cap.jpg?t=124197198 5

sexinthatsx
05-15-2009, 08:26 PM
You and I both know the lakers played like shit. I called the 40 point loss before it happened. Bynum and Pau starting is just too much, scola is a TERRIBLE 1 on 1 defender so that is my biggest worry. I'm not trying to doubt my team, i'm being realistic in every sense, no room for a letdown.

I, on the contrary, think that the small lineup actually benefits houston more than you guys think. All the times that houston had a run most of them were fastbreaks because lakers bigs couldn't keep up and set on defense. Not to mention, most of the rebounds were from the bigs tapping them out to wing players and the PGs. If houston can continue to do that, you guys should be able to win.

sexinthatsx
05-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Why would it be an upset? Rockets are the clear favorite in this series. They just came out and beat a team they were supposed to beat, and they will win the game on Sunday if the Lakers dont hit their shots. Nothing surprising here.

Houston was favored coming into this series given that yao was healthy, and t-mac was injured. Ever since Yao's injury, Lakers are the CLEAR favored ones to win the series. You are just downplaying the fact that if the lakers lose the series, you can use a mental cushion to keep thinking to yourself that the rockets were favored

sook
05-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Houston was favored coming into this series given that yao was healthy, and t-mac was injured. Ever since Yao's injury, Lakers are the CLEAR favored ones to win the series. You are just downplaying the fact that if the lakers lose the series, you can use a mental cushion to keep thinking to yourself that the rockets were favored

He was using SpursDynasty logic, aka a joke. :lol

Cry Havoc
05-15-2009, 09:57 PM

You accidentally the internet.

Caltex2
05-15-2009, 11:23 PM
exactly what I was thinking.

The only other 2 are the warriors and nuggets. Those 2 don't come close IMO

The 40-42 Rockets over the defending champion Lakers in 1981 would be imo (Rockets won back to back games in LA to clinch it). Another is the Kansas City Kings stunning upset of the top seeded Suns the same year.
The 3 seed Charlotte Hornets stunning demolition (3-0) of the Heat in 2001 first round would be another. There was nothing before any of those series to suggest those results were going to happen.

Caltex2
05-15-2009, 11:27 PM
rZO1F0nKJHg&feature=related

T-Mac did that one leg last season.

Artest scoring over 25 points is a huge deal. We just CAN'T depend on the guy to run or play within the offense. It drives me nuts but I'll accept him b.c of his toughness.

People are so ignorant, they just live in the moment. It's easy to pile on him now but he was a stud until this year.

Caltex2
05-15-2009, 11:33 PM

No it's all about height. That's why Yao should be averaging 20 boards a game even though players of similar height (Bol, Muresan, Bradley) never did.:rolleyes

Dario
05-15-2009, 11:35 PM
Lakers are just playing down to their apponent. There will be a blowout in game 7.

Obstructed_View
05-15-2009, 11:41 PM
It would have to go down as one of the biggest chokejobs of all time. The Greatest Finisher In The Game would have to find a new nickname.

Indazone
05-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Lakers try to regroup

The Lakers only shrugged at the mounting criticism from national and local media, the ridicule and scorn multiplying quickly around the team favored to win the championship when the playoffs began a month ago.

http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/story/2009-05/46944688-15162354.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-kobe-technical16-2009may16,0,5912138.story) NBA rescinds Kobe Bryant's technical... (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-kobe-technical16-2009may16,0,5912138.story)

http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/story/2009-05/46930283-15083918.gif (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-lakersweb16-2009may16,0,4090831.story) Lakers players still can't explain the... (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-spw-lakersweb16-2009may16,0,4090831.story)

Another crushing defeat for Lakers in Texas (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-rockets15-2009may15,0,1616653.story)
I'm thinking of a word that describes the Lakers; it starts with 'E' and ends with 'G' (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-simers-lakers15-2009may15,0,2245538.column)
It’s another Lakers failure of epic proportions (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-heisler-lakers15-2009may15,0,4312816.story)

The Houston Rockets certainly weren't going to give up despite their last trip to Staples Center ending in a 118-78 punch line that became the Lakers' largest margin of victory in a playoff game in 23 years.

Game 7, it is. Somebody will be done Sunday afternoon.

A day after another humbling loss to Houston in the Western Conference semifinals, the Lakers began acting like the team with a 1-2 record since Yao Ming went down because of a fractured foot.

http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/photo/2009-05/46945837-15171806.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-lakers-rockets13-2009may13-pg,0,6112139.photogallery) Photos: Game 5 vs. Rockets (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-lakers-rockets13-2009may13-pg,0,6112139.photogallery)

http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/photo/2009-05/46945858-15171841.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-lakers-rockets15-2009may15-pg,0,471446.photogallery) Photos: Game 6 vs. Rockets (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-lakers-rockets15-2009may15-pg,0,471446.photogallery)

http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/photo/2009-05/46807122-08173955.jpg (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-lakerscelebs-pg,0,3511393.photogallery) Photos: Celebs courtside (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-lakerscelebs-pg,0,3511393.photogallery)

http://www.latimes.com/media/thumbnails/photo/2009-05/46807125-08174023.jpg (http://lakersblog.latimes.com/) Blog: Lakers (http://lakersblog.latimes.com/)

They weren't as loose as they were in the immediate aftermath of Game 6, with Coach Phil Jackson saying Friday they were "somber" and "sullen" at their training facility.

"I think there's definitely a feeling of sobriety about the fact that we had such a big win on Tuesday and another poor performance on Thursday," he said.

It wasn't known if Kobe Bryant was still in a laughing mood -- he didn't speak to reporters Friday, as has been his recent custom on non-game days -- but the Lakers weren't exactly trading one-liners, and it had little to do with arriving back in Los Angeles at 2:30 a.m. Friday.

"I think everyone's a little upset," guard Jordan Farmar said. "Nobody really said much today."

That the Lakers fell to the Rockets in Game 6, 95-80, was obviously still on their minds as they watched video before a light shooting session.

Lamar Odom's bruised back was still an issue, as were the Lakers' shooting woes and ineffective inside attack in Game 6.

Odom slipped out a side door Friday without talking to reporters, though he flashed a thumbs up and said "I'm feeling good," before disappearing into the back seat of a sport utility vehicle that pulled out of the players' parking lot.

The national media wouldn't even give the Lakers one thumb up these days.

Scott Howard-Cooper, writing for Sports Illustrated, said the Lakers would be a "historic disappointment" if they didn't win Game 7 and "forever remembered as one of the great underachievers."

TNT analyst Charles Barkley, appearing on Dan Patrick's radio show, said the Lakers' habit of going through the motions was "going to bite them in the [rear]."

Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports wrote that the Rockets might have figured out the Lakers' weakness: "Punch the Lakers first and maybe they don't punch back."

Not exactly a clip-and-save kind of day for the Lakers' media-relations department.

Meanwhile, Jackson tried to get across the point that one play could spark a championship run by showing a brief video clip from Game 7 in the 1992 Eastern semifinals between Chicago and New York.

On the play, Michael Jordan had the ball stripped by Knicks forward Xavier McDaniel, but Jordan caught up to McDaniel and stole the ball back as McDaniel went in for what looked like an easy dunk. The Bulls won the game and, four weeks later, their second of six championships in the 1990s.

Farmar got the message.

Capt Bringdown
05-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Are they cancelling the NBA after this season?

The "greatest ever" meme is brain dead.

SpursDynasty
05-16-2009, 02:50 PM
It won't be an upset. The Rockets are the favorites in the series.

baseline bum
05-16-2009, 05:17 PM
The 40-42 Rockets over the defending champion Lakers in 1981 would be imo (Rockets won back to back games in LA to clinch it). Another is the Kansas City Kings stunning upset of the top seeded Suns the same year.
The 3 seed Charlotte Hornets stunning demolition (3-0) of the Heat in 2001 first round would be another. There was nothing before any of those series to suggest those results were going to happen.

That was only a three-game series though. It's extremely doubtful that Rockets team beats the 81 Lakers in a 7-game series starting from up 2-1.This would certainly be the greatest upset yet if it happens Sunday.

sook
05-16-2009, 06:07 PM
That was only a three-game series though. It's extremely doubtful that Rockets team beats the 81 Lakers in a 7-game series starting from up 2-1.This would certainly be the greatest upset yet if it happens Sunday.

Not only that, but they had the original twin towers in Olajuwon and Sampson

Caltex2
05-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Not only that, but they had the original twin towers in Olajuwon and Sampson

You're thinking of the 1986 team. The 1981 team had Mo Malone and aging greats Rudy T and Calvin Murphy.

Jacob1983
05-17-2009, 01:43 AM
It would have to be considered one of the greatest because the Rockets don't have Yao or TMAC. And let's not forget that the Lakers are the number 1 seed in the West and have the second best record in the NBA.

R4R
05-17-2009, 01:43 AM
Put 50 bucks on a LA loss :D