PDA

View Full Version : Billups, Karl Collaboration Running Smoothly

duncan228
05-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Billups, Karl collaboration running smoothly (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nuggets-karlbillups&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Pat Graham

George Karl paces the sideline with more poise and peace of mind this season.

For that, the Denver Nuggets coach credits his co-pilot: Chauncey Billups.

Once viewed as a bunch of misfits known for their disharmony and early playoff exits, the Nuggets’ cast of characters has been melded into a finely flowing team thanks to the partnership that exists between the point guard and coach.

Karl finally has the floor leader he’s always craved, not to mention help managing and massaging egos. Billups has the freedom to make decisions he sees fit.

Their unified relationship is a reason why Denver earned its first trip to the Western Conference finals in 24 years.

“There’s a nice spirit to what’s going on,” said Karl, whose team awaits the winner of the series between Houston and the Los Angeles Lakers that’s heading to Game 7 on Sunday at the Staples Center. “I’ll just try to stay out of the way and not mess it up.”

That’s where Billups comes in handy.

Karl has relied heavily on his point guard’s leadership since his arrival from Detroit in the Allen Iverson trade in early November. The hometown kid brings an energy to every practice and responds well to direction.

Karl has even relinquished some offensive control over to Billups, knowing he can handle any adjustments on the fly.

“You don’t understand how good he is at running the team, you don’t understand how good he is at cerebrally making sure things are going the right way,” Karl said. “He’s a head coach a lot. He overrides me a lot.”

Billups definitely appreciates the faith.

“Sometimes he’ll give me the leeway and say, ‘OK, run what you like,”’ Billups said. “And sometimes he’ll say, ‘No, this is what I like.’ It’s all for the good of the team. It’s never anything personal … Some coaches in this league are maybe a little too stubborn or want to run the show—want to call every single play and just dominate the game. George is not like that.”

Just 12 months ago, this was a team in turmoil. The Nuggets had been bounced from the playoffs for a fifth straight season, and changes were made to the staff and roster out of financial necessity.

The team looked to be in a downward spiral.

So much so that Carmelo Anthony was razzed about it by members of Team USA over the summer.

“I told everybody, ‘Watch, the Denver Nuggets are going to be there at the end of the year.’ And we’re here,” Anthony said. “A lot of people didn’t expect us to be here, a lot of people didn’t expect us to win our division … To overcome all that, stick together, when people said we couldn’t do something — we did it.”

Hence the extra bounce in Karl’s step these days. He had an inkling this team could be a contender.

“I think quietly I’ve been saying since February someone’s going to grow up,” Karl said. “What I was subconsciously saying was I think it’s us. It kind of seems like the karma and energy to be successful isn’t as heavy or against us as much as in some other series.”

In some other seasons, though, the Nuggets didn’t have Billups. The bond between Karl and Billups has proven highly profitable.

“I think George trusts me out here. I trust him,” Billups said. “Sometimes, we have a difference of opinion on which play to run. But we come together and talk about it … I think it’s important for the point guard and the head coach to have that kind of relationship. When you trust each other, it trickles down.”

And translates into wins.

The Nuggets tied their franchise record with 54 regular-season wins before dispatching New Orleans and Dallas in the first two rounds, each in five games.

Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle isn’t surprised by the upstart Nuggets, not with Billups and Karl collaborating courtside.

“George Karl has been a terrific coach in this league for many, many years,” Carlisle said. “This is the best job that I feel he’s done in all those years, which is saying a lot because he’s been a top coach for a long time.

“These guys are a legitimate, legitimate championship-caliber team. They’ve got a great shot. They’ve got a real opportunity.”