PDA

View Full Version : No wonder Memphis gave away Gasol to the Lakers

Artest93
05-15-2009, 07:33 PM
I remember when that trade was made, and I was pissed as fuck....Turns out Memphis won that trade, his brother, Marc, is a hell of alot tougher than Pau, but then again, Rupaul is tougher than Gasol.....What were your thoughts on the trade then and now?

xtremesteven33
05-15-2009, 07:34 PM
How bout that Scola trade??

:depressed

Artest93
05-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Yeah, turns out Rockets won that one, 1 for nothing special

Strike
05-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Don't even care. Both teams seem to have gotten what they wanted.

baseline bum
05-15-2009, 08:26 PM
You're out of your mind. Memphis got fucked with no vaseline in that trade.

Ghazi
05-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Memphis saved salary and got a nice young player.

Fair trade.

Allanon
05-15-2009, 08:51 PM
This is what I said last year.

Lakers got ripped off, they should have kept Marc Gasol.

Marc Gasol puts up fewer points but is a much tougher defender.

Darthkiller
05-15-2009, 09:42 PM
people say that celtic raped minesota in the kg trade. actualy minesota got big Al who is a far better player now than KG.

NewJerSpur
05-15-2009, 09:44 PM
The T'Wolves scared the hell out of me the year Marbury left. He and Garnett had great chemistry and were building something there.

Cry Havoc
05-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Still one of the most lopsided trades in history.

Odom was horrible in Game 6 too. Is that Gasol's fault?

Ice009
05-15-2009, 09:57 PM
hmm I don't think Marc would have taken Kobe hitting him on the back of the head like that.

Ghazi
05-15-2009, 10:24 PM
people say that celtic raped minesota in the kg trade. actualy minesota got big Al who is a far better player now than KG.

Whoa, totally untrue.

I think KG is kinda overrated but his defense is awesome. You're almost implying that Al Jeff woulda done just the same last year in place of KG, highly doubted.

KG was hurt this year though, hard to guage

I imagine Al Jefferson will be better than him in 1-2 years.

Tmac&Luther
05-15-2009, 10:30 PM

Whoa, totally untrue.

I think KG is kinda overrated but his defense is awesome. You're almost implying that Al Jeff woulda done just the same last year in place of KG, highly doubted.

KG was hurt this year though, hard to guage

I imagine Al Jefferson will be better than him in 1-2 years.

Before he got hurt....Al Jefferson was a better player than KG was THIS YEAR. Seriously the guy was beasting, he just doesn't have much talent around him. Depending on how he comes back from injury next year.....he'll be better than KG next season as well. KG turns 33 in a couple of days and he'll also be coming off a knee injury (which at his age, some players never really make it back all the way from that type of injury.)

pawe
05-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Cmon now, if its your turn to draft and both the Gasol brothers are available, which of them would you pick?
Pau is tested, better O, good size and lateral moves, decent D. He wont be the anchor of the Spanish team for nothing. Dont get me wrong, I'll welcome Marc Gasol with open arms but I'll still pick Pau over him.

Tmac&Luther
05-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Cmon now, if its your turn to draft and both the Gasol brothers are available, which of them would you pick?
Pau is tested, better O, good size and lateral moves, decent D. He wont be the anchor of the Spanish team for nothing. Dont get me wrong, I'll welcome Marc Gasol with open arms but I'll still pick Pau over him.

Depends on what stage your team is in......if your in complete rebuild mode, I'm taking Marc EASILY. Younger, tougher, better rebounder, and has more upside due to age. If I have a team that's one or two peices away from contending then I'll take Pau. Memphis made the right move and in a couple of years it'll be pretty clear. That trade wasn't nearly the rape people try to make it out to be...Memphis did okay for themselves.

Oh yeah....nothing about Pau says "decent D".

mystargtr34
05-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Lol Marc Gasol > Pau Gasol because hes tougher.

Marc will never be the player Pau is, probly wont even be close.

1) He doesnt have the physical gifts in terms of athleticism and mobility.

2) He doesnt have anywhere near the skill level of Pau.

Kurt Thomas > Dirk because hes tougher and a better low post defender.

mystargtr34
05-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Lets automatically assume Marc Gasol will be an enormous stud when hes in the playoffs for a contending team. He doesnt need to prove shit.

Pau on the other hand, only averaged 20-10-5-2 in 04-05 in leading a mediocre team to 50 Wins in a tough west.

Some of you are really stupid - really you are.

ElNono
05-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Lets automatically assume Marc Gasol will be an enormous stud when hes in the playoffs for a contending team. He doesnt need to prove shit.

Pau on the other hand, only averaged 20-10-5-2 in 04-05 in leading a mediocre team to 50 Wins in a tough west.

Shane Battier, Mike Miller, Bo Outlaw, James Posey, Earl Watson and Bonzi Wells was a mediocre team?

The reality is that when Pau didn't have those guys around him he didn't do much better than Marc:
01-02 season record: 23-59
02-03 season record: 28-54

Let's not even talk about the 06-07 season record of 22-60...

Tmac&Luther
05-16-2009, 01:04 AM

What the hell did Pau do since that year......that's right his team has sucked it up. Since Battier (the ultimate glue guy) left that team they haven't done shit. So let's not pretend it was all Pau. I mean Houston has only been a perennial 50 win team since they picked up Battier. (one of the reasons why some Rocket fans laugh when people try to throw Rudy Gay in their face.....give me "Mr. intangible" anyday of the week)

P.S.

You really need to stop calling people "stupid" just because they don't agree with you. Memphis with Pau were going nowhere year in and year out.....now they have a very talented young group to build with for the future.

Tmac&Luther
05-16-2009, 01:09 AM
Marc will never be the player Pau is, probly wont even be close.

1) He doesnt have the physical gifts in terms of athleticism and mobility.

2) He doesnt have anywhere near the skill level of Pau.

Kurt Thomas > Dirk because hes tougher and a better low post defender.

I'm bookmarking this page, because what you just typed is foolish. Memphis will be a good team in a couple of years and Marc will have alot to do with that....you're sounding alot like Whottt right now. Marc might never be the full offensive player Pau is, but he'll sure as hell be a better complete/2 way player and a hellava lot better than Kurt (could've been Scola) Thomas. :lol

mystargtr34
05-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Depends on what stage your team is in......if your in complete rebuild mode, I'm taking Marc EASILY. Younger, tougher, better rebounder, and has more upside due to age. If I have a team that's one or two peices away from contending then I'll take Pau. Memphis made the right move and in a couple of years it'll be pretty clear. That trade wasn't nearly the rape people try to make it out to be...Memphis did okay for themselves.

Oh yeah....nothing about Pau says "decent D".

So, as a 21 year old rookie from Spain, Pau averaged 8.9 rebounds and 2.1 blocks.

Marc averaged 7.1 boards and 1.1 blocks in 6 minutes less per game.

So your argument for Marc being potentially a better player than Pau was based on rebounding and defense - and facts just proved the exact opposite.

And yea, its not just blocks. Pau is more mobile and agile, which allows him to guards slightly quicker forwards. He actually did a good job with his single coverage on Duncan during last years playoff series, and always plays pretty evenly when they match up.

Toughness? I havent seen shit from Marc to prove that he is any tougher than Pau. Having 25 pounds more body weight, body fat i might add - does not make him tougher.

Marc is a good young player, and will obviously get better - but hes no Pau.

Dont forget Marc was a 23-24 year old? rookie with 5 years of pro experience overseas. Pau came over as a 21 year old weighing about 200 pounds and put up 18-9-2-2 on 50%+ as a rookie. Just because hes struggled in the Finals last year and in these playoffs playing out of position - doesnt mean hes garbage.

Your over reacting.

mystargtr34
05-16-2009, 06:54 AM
I'm bookmarking this page, because what you just typed is foolish. Memphis will be a good team in a couple of years and Marc will have alot to do with that....you're sounding alot like Whottt right now. Marc might never be the full offensive player Pau is, but he'll sure as hell be a better complete/2 way player and a hellava lot better than Kurt (could've been Scola) Thomas. :lol

Not sure what that has to do with anything, but saying Marc has the potential to be better than Pau because hes tougher and a better rebounder and a defender, both of which i proved to be wrong - is like saying .... a young version of Kurt Thomas can be better than a Dirk because hes tougher and a better rebounder.

Dont worry about taking into account skill levels, mobility and athleticism and past success of the better current player.

mystargtr34
05-16-2009, 06:56 AM
Memphis got hosed in that trade. It was a smart decision to trade Pau - but there was alot more being offered than an unproven Second Round International player, some picks and cash.

Marc has turned out be better than most expected, but everyone knows Memphis could have, and should have gotten alot more for Pau.

Muser
05-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Both teams got what they wanted, Memphis will be beasty in a few years.

mystargtr34
05-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Shane Battier, Mike Miller, Bo Outlaw, James Posey, Earl Watson and Bonzi Wells was a mediocre team?

The reality is that when Pau didn't have those guys around him he didn't do much better than Marc:
01-02 season record: 23-59
02-03 season record: 28-54

Let's not even talk about the 06-07 season record of 22-60...

I guess what im trying to say is, i dont think Marc Gasol has the 'upside' to be a lone All-Star on a 50 Win team.

Your right, that team did have some nice pieces, but Bonzi was a one dimension bone head, although he was talented. Hardly a winner though.

I love Shane Battier, and hes a guy you need to be a 50 win team, but hes still a limited offensive player.

Bo Outlaw, Earl Watson? Please.

Posey and Mike Miller are both severely over rated.

And didnt that team have Jason Williams as their starting PG?

Pau was the star of that team.

Rogue
05-16-2009, 07:25 AM
This is what I said last year.

Lakers got ripped off, they should have kept Marc Gasol.

Marc Gasol puts up fewer points but is a much tougher defender.
Without Pau, the Lakers would still be the average team in the west that can only walk around 7-8 seeds and get wiped out in the first round. Marc is an awesome young guy with unpredictable much potential, and he may become a HOFer in the expectable future, which will raise him to a higher status than his brother Pau, but Kobe cannot wait that long...

Even the Kobe in prime could not carry the Lakers to the second round, but the recruiment of Pau has made the Lakers a powerful contender even in the finals. Kobe's prime was in 06-07 season, in which he achieved his 81 miracle. Now he doesn't need to score that much in a game, and he can't do that either. What the boys in blue have been looking forward to is just such a trade, through which we can get another superstar without losing any instant power, but Kidd is not what Gasol is to Lakers and we are still waiting for that guy.

--- MR

iggypop123
05-16-2009, 02:03 PM
im sure popovich was waiting in the wings to offer udoka and other trash for him