PDA

View Full Version : It seems David Stern has gotten smarter!

sexinthatsx
05-15-2009, 08:38 PM
It seems like David Stern has finally gotten smarter in terms of what he says to the media:

last season:
interviewer: "What would be your dream matchup in the finals this season?"
Stern: "Lakers versus the Lakers"

this season: (during game 6 of houston-la)
interviewer: "Which team are you pulling for"
Stern: "Well, I'm rooting for the officials believe it or not!"

Many PackYao
05-15-2009, 08:50 PM
It seems like David Stern has finally gotten smarter in terms of what he says to the media:

last season:

this season: (during game 6 of houston-la)
interviewer: "Which team are you pulling for"
Stern: "Well, I'm rooting for the officials believe it or not!"
Yeah, he answered that question all while wearing a purple tie. What a lying fag!:bang

sook
05-15-2009, 08:50 PM
wtf?!?!?

He said Lakers vs the Lakers?

I heard the last part, but not the first.

Edit*** O ok he said it last season.

Dumbass.

Indazone
05-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Well that explains why he was wearing the purple tie.

If he were smart he wouldn't interfere with these games at all. The Feds have got to be watching these games like a hawk.

Ice009
05-15-2009, 09:17 PM
You know what bothers me? The NBA commissioner should not be a fan of an NBA team. Well he can be a fan, but it seems like Stern is a big Lakers fan. How is he supposed to do his job properly if he is rooting for a certain team?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
05-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Stern is being a self-aware asshole.

Thinks he can refute criticism by addressing the flak he gets. "See, I'm making a joke therefore, there's no real validity to the accusations of my bias"

ManuTP9
05-15-2009, 09:37 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/wkolkg.gif

sexinthatsx
05-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Of course David Stern will root for the officials, they're the ones that could fix games for him!

Kori Ellis
05-15-2009, 10:26 PM

last season:

That wasn't last season, that was back in 2003 or so.

pawe
05-15-2009, 11:09 PM
He's just looking out for the best interest of the league. Like it or not, it's always gonna be profit and relevance and one way to achieve that is to promote the big market teams.

200 miles
05-15-2009, 11:29 PM
He's just looking out for the best interest of the league. Like it or not, it's always gonna be profit and relevance and one way to achieve that is to promote the big market teams.

Then why bother having smaller-market teams in the first place?

Obstructed_View
05-15-2009, 11:39 PM

Yeah, the question was dream matchup financially for the league. It's not really a surprise he'd say that, and it was actually funny back when the officials did a decent job most of the time.

pawe
05-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Then why bother having smaller-market teams in the first place?

Who will the Lakers, NY, Bos play with?

sexinthatsx
05-16-2009, 01:26 AM

I'm pretty sure he said this last season too during the playoffs when he was in the stands (not at a laker game though)

NBA Junkie
05-16-2009, 04:37 AM
Of course David Stern will root for the officials, they're the ones that could fix games for him!

Truer words were never spoken!

DAF86
05-16-2009, 05:47 AM
Yeah, the question was dream matchup financially for the league. It's not really a surprise he'd say that, and it was actually funny back when the officials did a decent job most of the time.

WTF? wasn't that the time when Shaq could get away with beating the crap out of his defender to get a basket? and who can forget that infamous Lakers/Kings game?

xellos88330
05-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Since there is talk of fixing games, just wanted to throw this out there.

Tim Donaghy.

I was wondering, if the Phoenix Suns won that series, would he have still been investigated. Perhaps Stern had him pegged as fixing the games because Donaghy didn't follow his game plan. Let the Suns win! After all, the Suns would have drawn a larger TV audience.

GuerillaBlack
05-16-2009, 08:13 AM
The NFL runs circles around the NBA.

DAF86
05-16-2009, 08:20 AM
The NFL runs circles around the NBA.

It depends from which point of view you see it. In the states it looks like that's definitely the case but world-wide the NBA draws a lot more attention and money (is not even close).

GuerillaBlack
05-16-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm talking about the quality of the league. How each league is run and the NFL is much better than the NBA to me. You don't really deal with these officials problems in the NFL like in the NBA.

FromWayDowntown
05-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Since there is talk of fixing games, just wanted to throw this out there.

Tim Donaghy.

I was wondering, if the Phoenix Suns won that series, would he have still been investigated. Perhaps Stern had him pegged as fixing the games because Donaghy didn't follow his game plan. Let the Suns win! After all, the Suns would have drawn a larger TV audience.

I'm almost 100% certain the Donaghy investigation began with the FBI, not the NBA, and that the FBI didn't give a crap about whether Phoenix won in 2007 or not.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2009, 02:02 PM
WTF? wasn't that the time when Shaq could get away with beating the crap out of his defender to get a basket? and who can forget that infamous Lakers/Kings game?

The NBA changed the rules so Shaq could knock people down, and at worst Lakers Kings was one game where the officials fucked up*. The officials routinely flail their way through games now.

*though it's more likely that the Kings and their fans are just losers and whiners.

sexinthatsx
05-16-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm almost 100% certain the Donaghy investigation began with the FBI, not the NBA, and that the FBI didn't give a crap about whether Phoenix won in 2007 or not.

Doesn't that put even more suspicion on the NBA's part that they didn't want this to ruin their credibility?

Also i have another question. In terms of foreign countries watching NBA games, does the NBA in any way share any percentage of the profits?