PDA

View Full Version : Nick Calathes To Work Out For The Spurs Wednesday May 20

duncan228
05-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Calathes 'up in the air' (http://blogs.gainesville.com/default.asp?item=2377938)
by Kevin Brockway

Two-time Florida assist king Nick Calathes said it's still up in the air whether he'll return to Florida for his junior season.

"I think that's what the workouts are for, to get an idea where I stand," Calathes said following a Friday workout at IMG Sports Academy in Bradenton.

Calathes already posted an impressive workout in California earlier this week in front of NBA personnel executives. He has private workouts scheduled with the Dallas Mavericks on Monday and the San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday. Then next Friday, he'll go to Chicago for the NBA Predraft camp.

Calathes has until June 15 to decide whether to keep his name in the NBA draft and hire an agent or return to UF. He said he's not looking for a promise or guarantee from an organization that he'll be picked in the first round. "It's just going to be a feel thing and I think a lot of that will be based on how I do in the workouts," Calathes said.

Calathes said that new Florida assistant coach Rick Pitino Jr. called him recently, but didn't offer a sales pitch to convince him to stay. "It was more of him trying to get a feel for Florida and the area," Calathes said.

Toronto Raptors executives were at Friday's workout, though it's unlikely they were targeting Calathes because the team holds a lottery pick. Calathes is currently projected as a late-first to early second round pick if he keeps his name in the draft. Dallas and San Antonio both hold mid-to-late first round picks.

That could change with some solid workouts. On Friday, Calathes looked more confident shooting the basketball. He's working on trying to extend his range out past the NBA 3-point line distance (22 feet, nine inches.) Calathes has worked with IMG Sports Academy Director of Pro Development David Thorpe on his shooting mechanics, specifically his balance. He also was getting off his feet more rather than taking set shots.

Calathes acknowledged that not playing in the NCAA Tournament his first two seasons could be a factor that pulls him back. "I'm a winner and I want to win," Calathes said. "But at the same time it's been a dream of mine to play in the NBA since I was a kid. I have to find out if this is my time."

duncan228
05-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Draft Express:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nick-Calathes-1237/

NBA Draft:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/nick-calathes

jason1301
05-15-2009, 10:05 PM
yaaay another Greek player --Greek American to be exact-- for the spurs, how did KBP missed that????!!!!

jag
05-15-2009, 10:11 PM
yaaay another Greek player --Greek American to be exact-- for the spurs, how did KBP missed that????!!!!

Cause he's a puerto rican rockets fan in houston?

ducks
05-15-2009, 10:44 PM
creates easy shots for his teammates
hummmmmmmm

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-15-2009, 11:56 PM

He is not ready yet for NBA I think.

flox
05-16-2009, 12:27 AM
He's gonna be a first round pick maybe borderline early 2nd round, I don't think we can get him.

jason1301
05-16-2009, 01:07 AM

I remember that certain Greek Media were bashing Yiannakis for not inviting him to play for the national team last summer. LOL

Spursfan092120
05-16-2009, 01:12 AM
And you would know this....how?

flox
05-16-2009, 02:26 AM
He's pretty ready for the NBA...he's got decent college numbers on an ok team, and he's got a lot of playmaking skills.. if he falls it'd be a steal to get him.

Bukefal
05-16-2009, 06:09 AM
He is not ready, and certainly not with the spurs. I say no to this guy

flox
05-16-2009, 12:30 PM
He is not ready, and certainly not with the spurs. I say no to this guy

Could you explain why he's not ready? He shot well, he had good percentages, he was able to get to the line in the always athletic SEC conference, has amazing size for a player who already plays the one, is passing well on a terrible team, and has a good resume (U-20 Greek, SEC Freshmen of the Year).

benefactor
05-16-2009, 04:48 PM
The only way we could get him is to take him with our first pick...and I would rather spend that on something other than another PG.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-16-2009, 05:00 PM
And you would know this....how?

Because on Greek junior national team he was maybe the 6th best player on the team.

spurspokesman
05-17-2009, 10:25 AM
That would be an odd pick.....whos the odd man out? Manu, Mason or Hill? He would be a good player but is God awful on D and always will be....very poor foot speed.

Exactly. And im not impressed with his game. Hill is superior.