PDA

View Full Version : Nowitzki: One Of The 10 Best Players To Never Win A Championship?

duncan228
05-16-2009, 12:06 AM
The writer's Top 10 list is at the end of the article.

Being on this Top 10 list has no ring to it (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/051609dnspocowlishaw.3ff1ee2.html)
Tim Cowlishaw
Dallas Morning News

Let's start with the good news. Mavs fans aren't heading for the exits of another failed playoff run muttering, "Where was Dirk?"

That's what a lot of them were saying after the Miami series of '06.

That's what all of them were saying after the disaster that was Golden State in '07.

That's what a few were saying a year ago after New Orleans when, frankly, they could have picked any player or the head coach.

But against San Antonio, facing what coach Rick Carlisle called "double teams we've never seen before in this league," Nowitzki fed his teammates, made Josh Howard the series MVP and helped his team advance.

Against Denver, Nowitzki delivered 34.4 points, 11.6 rebounds and four assists a night. It wasn't enough, but it at least served notice that whatever the problems are with the Mavericks, they don't begin or end with Nowitzki.

Now for the bad news.

We can officially install Nowitzki as a member of the NBA's all-time top 10.

That is the 10 best players never to win a championship.

It's a longer list and a tougher one to break than in most sports because the NBA championship is the most difficult to earn. Over the last 25 seasons – that's about two generations worth of players given normal professional life spans – only seven franchises have earned the trophy.

So if you joined this league sometime from 1984 or beyond and you don't wear the uniform of the Celtics, Lakers, Pistons, Bulls, Spurs, Rockets or Heat – and you had to be in Miami at just the right time – then you haven't earned a championship ring.

This has been the league's history ever since Bill Russell and the Celtics reeled off 11 championships in 13 seasons between 1957 and 1969.

Nowitzki is a nine-time All-Star, and other than Shaquille O'Neal, he's the only active player to average 25 points and 10 rebounds in the postseason.

So with that, we add him to the top 10 of all time and we drop former Hawks great Dominique Wilkins.

You're free to think otherwise. That's OK. It's not your list.

The top-10 no-ring winners of all time (alphabetically): Elgin Baylor, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, George Gervin, Allen Iverson, Karl Malone, Reggie Miller, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki and John Stockton.

There is a question as to whether Baylor belongs on this list. Technically, he was on the '71-72 Lakers, is pictured in the team photo, and (I believe) was given a ring. But he played nine games that season before retiring.

He was not a real part of the winning team, so I think he has to be on here.

Miller over Dominique Wilkins? Nash over Jason Kidd? Ewing over Bob Lanier?

Feel free to argue these things in your chat rooms.

Besides, the real point here is to decide what Nowitzki's presence on the list means.

Does he remain on it?

Umm, yeah, I'm afraid so. Don't see enough help on the way.

Could he opt out of his contract in a year to pursue a title elsewhere?

Yes, he could, but I don't see that in his personality. I think he would rather take his chances where he has been quite comfortable for 11 seasons.

Actually, there's a case to be made for Kidd to be on this list as well, although I don't see who could be removed in order to promote him.

Isn't that something?

The Mavericks might have two (and used to have a third in Nash) of the greatest 10 players never to win a title.

If you can't win championships, is it a good thing to at least develop players with such talent that you wonder why it never happened?

MISSING THE RINGS

Tim Cowlishaw's top-10 list of the best players, active or retired, without an NBA championship:

ELGIN BAYLOR: No. 3 in playoff scoring average, retired during the '71-72 season when the Lakers were about to raise a banner.

CHARLES BARKLEY: Averaged 23 points, 12 rebounds a game in 13 playoff runs.

PATRICK EWING: Only Bulls and Houston's Hakeem Olajuwon kept this man and the Knicks from a title.

GEORGE GERVIN: After Spurs joined NBA, he was all-NBA first or second team for seven straight years.

ALLEN IVERSON: No 6-footer really has done as much in the history of the league.

KARL MALONE: NBA's No. 2 leading scorer of all time.

REGGIE MILLER: NBA's all-time 3-point scorer.

STEVE NASH: Two league MVP awards speak for themselves.

DIRK NOWITZKI: Three of the all-time 25-point, 10-rebound guys in playoffs have won titles. Baylor and Dirk haven't.

JOHN STOCKTON: More than 15,000 assists? Even Jason Kidd with his long career isn't getting close.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2009, 12:54 AM
Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki on this list just screams homer to me. If he has to include an ex Maverick, Adrian Dantley seems like a better choice.

Tmac&Luther
05-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki on this list just screams homer to me.

Not really.....the MVP awards put them there fairly or unfairly

Sportstudi
05-16-2009, 05:00 AM
That's what a few were saying a year ago after New Orleans when, frankly, they could have picked any player or the head coach.

I would really like to know who said that. Every "Fan" who was complaining about Dirk after the NO-series should be kicked in the ass. Dirk averaged 26.8/12/4 against them Without him, it would have been a sweep.

LakerHater
05-16-2009, 05:43 AM
I dunno.... jus by reading the thread title I think its too early to say that bout him!

Basketballgirl25
05-16-2009, 06:48 AM
I dunno.... jus by reading the thread title I think its too early to say that bout him!

i wouldn't say it is too early. He can still win a ring and great if he does, but he is going to be older next season, that could be a bad or good thing, he could become more po'd his time is running out to win or he could get hurt. So I wouldn't say it is to early to talk about and mention it in a article:toast

monoslyab1k
05-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Just out of curiosity is anyone going to be YOUNGER next season?

Basketballgirl25
05-16-2009, 06:53 AM

nope the the older you are, you have a chance of slowing down more:toast

Muser
05-16-2009, 07:05 AM
That's a ridiculous amount of assist from Stockton :wow

Rogue
05-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Unsounded: Jason Kidd won't stay in Dallas any longer.

--- MR

DAF86
05-16-2009, 08:03 AM
The writer's Top 10 list is at the end of the article.

Being on this Top 10 list has no ring to it (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/051609dnspocowlishaw.3ff1ee2.html)
Tim Cowlishaw
Dallas Morning News

Let's start with the good news. Mavs fans aren't heading for the exits of another failed playoff run muttering, "Where was Dirk?"

That's what a lot of them were saying after the Miami series of '06.

That's what all of them were saying after the disaster that was Golden State in '07.

But against San Antonio, facing what coach Rick Carlisle called "double teams we've never seen before in this league," Nowitzki fed his teammates, made Josh Howard the series MVP and helped his team advance.

Against Denver, Nowitzki delivered 34.4 points, 11.6 rebounds and four assists a night. It wasn't enough, but it at least served notice that whatever the problems are with the Mavericks, they don't begin or end with Nowitzki.

Now for the bad news.

We can officially install Nowitzki as a member of the NBA's all-time top 10.

That is the 10 best players never to win a championship.

It's a longer list and a tougher one to break than in most sports because the NBA championship is the most difficult to earn. Over the last 25 seasons – that's about two generations worth of players given normal professional life spans – only seven franchises have earned the trophy.

So if you joined this league sometime from 1984 or beyond and you don't wear the uniform of the Celtics, Lakers, Pistons, Bulls, Spurs, Rockets or Heat – and you had to be in Miami at just the right time – then you haven't earned a championship ring.

This has been the league's history ever since Bill Russell and the Celtics reeled off 11 championships in 13 seasons between 1957 and 1969.

Nowitzki is a nine-time All-Star, and other than Shaquille O'Neal, he's the only active player to average 25 points and 10 rebounds in the postseason.

So with that, we add him to the top 10 of all time and we drop former Hawks great Dominique Wilkins.

You're free to think otherwise. That's OK. It's not your list.

The top-10 no-ring winners of all time (alphabetically): Elgin Baylor, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, George Gervin, Allen Iverson, Karl Malone, Reggie Miller, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki and John Stockton.

There is a question as to whether Baylor belongs on this list. Technically, he was on the '71-72 Lakers, is pictured in the team photo, and (I believe) was given a ring. But he played nine games that season before retiring.

He was not a real part of the winning team, so I think he has to be on here.

Miller over Dominique Wilkins? Nash over Jason Kidd? Ewing over Bob Lanier?

Feel free to argue these things in your chat rooms.

Besides, the real point here is to decide what Nowitzki's presence on the list means.

Does he remain on it?

Umm, yeah, I'm afraid so. Don't see enough help on the way.

Could he opt out of his contract in a year to pursue a title elsewhere?

Yes, he could, but I don't see that in his personality. I think he would rather take his chances where he has been quite comfortable for 11 seasons.

Actually, there's a case to be made for Kidd to be on this list as well, although I don't see who could be removed in order to promote him.

Isn't that something?

The Mavericks might have two (and used to have a third in Nash) of the greatest 10 players never to win a title.

If you can't win championships, is it a good thing to at least develop players with such talent that you wonder why it never happened?

MISSING THE RINGS

Tim Cowlishaw's top-10 list of the best players, active or retired, without an NBA championship:

ELGIN BAYLOR: No. 3 in playoff scoring average, retired during the '71-72 season when the Lakers were about to raise a banner.

CHARLES BARKLEY: Averaged 23 points, 12 rebounds a game in 13 playoff runs.

PATRICK EWING: Only Bulls and Houston's Hakeem Olajuwon kept this man and the Knicks from a title.

GEORGE GERVIN: After Spurs joined NBA, he was all-NBA first or second team for seven straight years.

ALLEN IVERSON: No 6-footer really has done as much in the history of the league.

KARL MALONE: NBA's No. 2 leading scorer of all time.

REGGIE MILLER: NBA's all-time 3-point scorer.

STEVE NASH: Two league MVP awards speak for themselves.

DIRK NOWITZKI: Three of the all-time 25-point, 10-rebound guys in playoffs have won titles. Baylor and Dirk haven't.

JOHN STOCKTON: More than 15,000 assists? Even Jason Kidd with his long career isn't getting close.

Did I miss Jason Kidd's championship run?

TwinTowers
05-16-2009, 11:23 AM
for those on the list that are active players, there is always a chance to join a true title contender, and finally get the ring as Payton, and A Walker did with Miami

BlackSwordsMan
05-16-2009, 11:49 AM
gervin should have waited for duncan

Amaso
05-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but he won a title in 2006.

sribb43
05-16-2009, 12:21 PM
WTF is Jason Kidd? Take that piece of shit Allen Iverson off the list

LakerHater
05-16-2009, 12:44 PM
i wouldn't say it is too early. He can still win a ring and great if he does, but he is going to be older next season, that could be a bad or good thing, he could become more po'd his time is running out to win or he could get hurt. So I wouldn't say it is to early to talk about and mention it in a article:toast
Yeah, thats what I'm sayin! I think it's a lil premature to say "hes one of the best to never win a championship"
I'd wait to mention that when his skills are diminishin, hes not the goto guy & he can no longer carry his team!
It's to early to say never!

lefty
05-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Nowotzki is a fucking pussy

He had the team around him to win it in 2006.

And he didn't face Jordan

Dirk sucks, Mavs suck, and their fans are equally retarded

Cant_Be_Faded
05-16-2009, 01:18 PM
meh. I'm fine with Dirk on the list. He's one of the biggest matchup problems in this era of the NBA's history.

TwAnKiEs
05-16-2009, 01:28 PM

:nutkick: Uh.. who did the Spurs play against in their first Finals?

benefactor
05-16-2009, 01:50 PM
I would put Dirk on the list....but I would put Kidd ahead of Nash or Iverson.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Not really.....the MVP awards put them there fairly or unfairly

Um, the difference is that Dirk actually deserved his MVP award. The fact that Nash has two on his shelf that belong to someone else shouldn't blind people from seeing that he doesn't belong anywhere near this list. Thanks to several years of bloated stats under D'Antoni's system, Nash has just over half as many assists as Stockton does.

Budkin
05-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Dirk's awesome... to bad he plays in Dallas.

JustBlaze
05-16-2009, 02:53 PM
WTF is Jason Kidd? Take that piece of shit Allen Iverson off the list
That wife beater ain't no where near AI's level.

http://www.mugshots.net/jason_kidd/jason_kidd.jpg
"Hi honey"

Caltex2
05-16-2009, 03:55 PM

Greg Oden maybe.

dirk4mvp
05-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Kidd > Iverson

He made Kenyon Martin actually look like a good nba player for several years.

Basketballgirl25
05-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Kidd > Iverson

Kenyon Martin is a good player, Nets haven't been able to find anyone near as good as him since he left.

Sad thing is Kidd made Sean Williams look good

JustBlaze
05-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Kidd > Iverson

http://images.allposters.com/images/PHOTOFILE/AACG022.jpg

"Umm, No"

Also, lol at the Martin comment and lol at the Nuggets for giving up 3 future 1st rounders whilst picking up that retarded contract, thinking they were going to get a great player instead receiving fools gold. Fuck you Kiki, 1 of the worst gm's alive.

dirk4mvp
05-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Kidd > Iverson

If you had to pick between Kidd and Iverson to start a franchise with (if both were younger and the same age), only a retard, homer, or a combination of both would pick Iverson.

Basketballgirl25
05-16-2009, 05:19 PM
http://images.allposters.com/images/PHOTOFILE/AACG022.jpg

"Umm, No"

Also, lol at the Martin comment and lol at the Nuggets for giving up 3 future 1st rounders whilst picking up that retarded contract, thinking they were going to get a great player instead receiving fools gold. Fuck you Kiki, 1 of the worst gm's alive.

three future 1st rounders that helpped Nets get Vince Carter, and I wouldn't say Kiki is the worst, but not the best either him and Rod Thorn have been good together:toast

Obstructed_View
05-16-2009, 06:25 PM
I'd pick AI in a one on one game with Kidd, but the NBA is a team sport. Kidd >>>>>>>>>>>> AI.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Only players in that list ever deserve a championship is Miller and Stockton but even Miller is a question because he never play defense. The rest of them all have something wrong with playing winner's basketball.

Obstructed_View
05-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Nobody "deserves" a championship if they don't win it on the floor. Barkley's probably the best of that group, and it's a shame that he didn't win a title. Jim Paxson stole it from him.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Nobody "deserves" a championship if they don't win it on the floor. Barkley's probably the best of that group, and it's a shame that he didn't win a title. Jim Paxson stole it from him.

He never play defense ever in his whole career. He is not deserving of a championship.

The Third Man
05-16-2009, 06:54 PM
That wife beater ain't no where near AI's level.

http://www.mugshots.net/jason_kidd/jason_kidd.jpg
"Hi honey"

Yeah, he's much, much better. He took the Nets, the Nets!, to two NBA finals.

Strike
05-16-2009, 07:06 PM
I think Nowitzki will win a ring eventually. Whether or not it's with the Dallas Mavericks is anyone's guess.

Strike
05-16-2009, 07:08 PM
:nutkick: Uh.. who did the Spurs play against in their first Finals?

Ewing didn't play. Semantics and all.

Strike
05-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Greg Oden maybe.

:rollin

peskypesky
05-16-2009, 07:53 PM
is dirk better than NATE THURMOND?

PGxnIB2vojo

Nate was pretty damn good, and definitely a far better rebounder and defensive player than Dirk. Not as good a scorer. I'd say they
re about equal but I'd take Nate over Dirk.

JustBlaze
05-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Kidd > Iverson

If you had to pick between Kidd and Iverson to start a franchise with (if both were younger and the same age), only a retard, homer, or a combination of both would pick Iverson.
Who gives a pile of horse shit about who the better player is to build around. Quite frankly, seeing how both failed to win a ring, they're both equally worthless in that aspect. AI is the better player overall and only a homer like you would argue otherwise. Me=2 You=0:hat

dirk4mvp
05-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Who gives a pile of horse shit about who the better player is to build around. Quite frankly, seeing how both failed to win a ring, they're both equally worthless in that aspect. AI is the better player overall and only a homer like you would argue otherwise. Me=2 You=0:hat

It speaks volumes about who's the better player, dumbass. And it's hard to see where Iverson is the better overall player. The only thing he does better is score.

JustBlaze
05-16-2009, 11:50 PM
It speaks volumes about who's the better player, dumbass. And it's hard to see where Iverson is the better overall player. The only thing he does better is score.
Overall, you don't see AI as the better player? U trippin'. I think you have the words mixed up, I said Overall, not All around. Me= 3 U=0

pauls931
05-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Yeah, he's much, much better. He took the Nets, the Nets!, to two NBA finals.

JJ Barae could have taken the nets to the finals in the east back then.

dirk4mvp
05-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Overall, you don't see AI as the better player?

Uh

No.

JustBlaze
05-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Uh

No.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/dasimbaking21/Gifs/ChipperJones.gif

Jacob1983
05-17-2009, 01:40 AM
What about Mutombo?

lefty
05-17-2009, 02:14 AM
LMAO Mavs

Basketballgirl25
05-17-2009, 07:46 AM
JJ Barae could have taken the nets to the finals in the east back then.

no he couldn't of, Kidd was prefect for those two teams back then they all just clicked. Martin, Kidd, Jefferson, Kittles, and all the rest were awesome back then, not saying they aren't all awesome now. But back then they just were one of the best teams together

TampaDude
05-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Dirk's awesome... too bad he plays in Dallas.

^ this

Obstructed_View
05-18-2009, 03:32 PM
He never play defense ever in his whole career. He is not deserving of a championship.

Anyone who watched him play defense on David Robinson for years will disagree with you on that point.