PDA

View Full Version : Rockets At Lakers Previews Game 7

duncan228
05-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Houston at Los Angeles Preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2009051713&prov=ap)
Game info: 3:30 pm EDT Sun May 17, 2009
TV: ABC
By Bernie Wilson

The Western Conference semifinals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets appears to come down to a simple question.

Which Lakers team will show up for the decisive Game 7?

The one that blew out the undermanned Rockets by 40 points in Game 5 to set up what most everyone thought would be the clinching game? Or the one that quickly fell behind by double digits two nights later and lost by 15?

The Lakers, it seems, will be the ones who determine whether Sunday’s matinee at Staples Center is a feel-good story or a horror show.

The winner of this physical, sometimes-testy series will advance to the conference finals to face the Denver Nuggets, who’ve been resting since eliminating Dallas on Wednesday night.

Kobe Bryant admits it’s a mystery why the Lakers have been so wildly inconsistent against a team few expected would reach the second round, let alone push the top seed in the West to a Game 7.

“Yeah, that’s the million-dollar question,” Bryant said Saturday. “There’s a bunch of other teams in the past that went through the same thing for whatever reason. It’s just the emotions of an NBA season, I guess.”

Bryant expects to see “the team that won all those games this year. We’re continuing to evolve, too.

“I think the second half of that game in Houston we picked up our defensive intensity and saw kind of what we’re capable of by playing as hard as we did on the defensive end,” Bryant said. “Hopefully we’ll get off to a hot start.”

After being outmuscled by the now-sidelined Yao Ming in the opener at home, the Lakers dominated Games 2, 3 and 5. Los Angeles was twice embarrassed in Texas by a Rockets team that’s been without Tracy McGrady since February, backup center Dikembe Mutombo since the first round and Yao since he broke a bone in his left foot in Game 3 of this series. Chuck Hayes, a 6-foot-6 forward who’s now the Rockets’ starting center, is a full foot shorter than Yao.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson acknowledged before Game 5 his team has a split personality.

“This team has a Jekyll and Hyde in it a little bit, I’ll admit that,” Jackson said. “They have a tendency to get on their heels at times as a basketball team, but they’ve always responded.”

It’s just that there’s no more room for error for a team that allows itself to be dominated in the paint one game and then does the dominating the next; lets Rockets point guard Aaron Brooks penetrate at will one night and then controls him the next time they meet; or sees the largely ineffective Andrew Bynum score 14 points in Game 5 and then zero in Game 6.

Bryant said there’s “a lot” of pressure on the Lakers. “But this is what we do so, we’re supposed to be here and as players you have to respond. If you’re going to be an NBA champion, you’ve got to be able to respond to situations like this.”

Going against popular opinion, Jackson thinks Game 7 will be about which Rockets team shows up.

“They’ve been the provocateur and they’ve been the one that has been the team that goes out and makes a decided difference in games,” Jackson said. “Their activity level was certainly much greater in games 4 and 6.”

A quick start will be important. The team leading after the first quarter has won all 12 of Houston’s postseason games.

“It’s going to be crazy,” Houston coach Rick Adelman said. “They’re going to come out and try to put a hit on us early. They’re going to try to attack us inside early. I know Kobe will be aggressive. It’s all about seeing how much we’ve grown. I think we’re ready to play.”

That said, “I’m not going to have a lot of patience,” Adelman added. “Guys off the bench, they have to perform. There’s no tomorrow in this situation.”

The Rockets have played loose in this series, and at times with more energy than the Lakers.

“I fully expect us to play a good game tomorrow,” Adelman said.

Luis Scola, who had 24 points and 12 rebounds in Game 6, expects a close game.

“It’s not time for any mistakes. We’ve got to do everything right,” Scola said.

Yes, the Lakers are disappointed they didn’t take care of business earlier.

“Ain’t nothing we can do about it. Nothing. We just got to come out and play,” Bryant said.

Teammate Pau Gasol said the Lakers need to control Brooks, be aggressive and enjoy their home-court advantage.

“Game 7, playing at home, it’s something you deserve and earned in case of getting to this position,” he said. “It will be pressure, but at the same time we’re a good team to respond to that by playing hard, playing well and winning. That’s the bottom line.”

Danny.Zhu
05-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Teammate Pau Gasol said the Lakers need to control Brooks, be aggressive and enjoy their home-court advantage.

Teammate Pau Gasol should have said Kobe please don't hit me again.

Allanon
05-16-2009, 09:33 PM
If Chris Rock goes off again, it's gonna be a long night for the Lakers. Pau and Bynum have to put away their manginas and realize that Hayes is only 6'6.

Stop Aaron Brooks and the Lakers can put up the welcome signs for the Nuggz.

iggypop123
05-16-2009, 09:43 PM
once hayes gets in foul trouble for the shoves in the back it should be inside the paint destruction

DAF86
05-16-2009, 09:48 PM
once hayes gets in foul trouble for breathing next to Gasol it should be inside the paint destruction

Agreed.

iggypop123
05-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Agreed.

un-fix that sir

shelshor
05-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Referee Assignments
Sun. May 17
Houston @ L.A. Lakers: J. Crawford, M. Callahan, D. Crawford

Danny.Zhu
05-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Referee Assignments
Sun. May 17

Great job, Stern.

TampaDude
05-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Referee Assignments
Sun. May 17

:lmao I fucking told y'all!!! :lmao

Artest93
05-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Damn, can't say this was unexpected....Joey boy is gonna call 2 fouls on chuck, eject Artest, and trip brooks all within the first minute. Dream scenario: While fighting for a loose ball, Ariza gets the ball, makes a hard pass, knocks Crawford in the dome, catches a severe case of amnesia, and starts callin the game fairly

Chieflion
05-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Rockets are screwed. To add insult to injury, two Crawfords are officiating the game.

Spur-Addict
05-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Referee Assignments
Sun. May 17

Well, no need to watch the game now. :sleep

But I will.

200 miles
05-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Just out of curiosity, will the Lakers wear their white or yellow jerseys?

Indazone
05-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Lakers are running scared

Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images
For Kobe and Lakers, it's all about getting the early jump

By Dave McMenamin, NBA.com
Posted May 16 2009 12:35PM

LOS ANGELES -- On Thursday, the Lakers sulked to the locker room down 16 to the Rockets at halftime, and Kobe Bryant didn't wait to exit the court before he began lighting into Sasha Vujacic.

While Bryant's frustration was boiling over, he was doing anything he could to ignite his despondent team. During a first-quarter timeout, Bryant ruffled Pau Gasol's shaggy hair and followed up the bobblehead move with a fist to Gasol's chest as if to say, "Wake up big fella, we need you."

At halftime, he continued. When Lakers coach Phil Jackson was asked if it was the angriest he had seen Bryant "in a while," Jackson confirmed with a matter-of-fact, "Yes."

"Kobe was vocal," Jordan Farmar said on Friday after Bryant and the rest of the Lakers starters, plus Lamar Odom, were conspicuously silent and all left the team's practice facility following a film session and voluntary shootaround without speaking to the media.

"[He was] a little frustrated, a little disappointed," Farmar said after describing the locker room atmosphere as fired up. "He's a competitor and he wants to win and he wants to advance and try to put another trophy up in [Mitch Kupchak's office] so he was the one speaking more than anybody. We all got the message and I thought we responded, we just can't start like that to put ourselves in that hole to begin with."

For the second time in three games, Los Angeles was caught off guard by Houston's early surge and was left scrambling to get back in the game.

In Game 4, Houston rallied around the absence of Yao Ming and ran out to a 29-point lead before winning by 12 in what's being referred to on L.A. sports talk radio as the "Mother's Day Massacre."

The Lakers seemed to have learned their lesson in Game 5, jumping out to a 25-point lead en route to a 40-point win. If the Rockets' spirit wasn't broken when Yao went out, it surely was extinguished by now, L.A. thought.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

After Bryant's diatribe in the locker room, L.A. came out with a renewed sense of focus and started the third quarter with a 16-2 run to draw within two and make up for the 17-1 hole it dug for itself in the first quarter.

"I huddle with my coaching staff prior to coming in with the players and talking to the players," Jackson said. "Usually we go over some of the things that have happened at the end of the second quarter, halftime, a direction we feel that we got to bring a message to and they have three-four minutes there in the locker room before everything gets sorted out and we get back to work so if in those three or four minutes an inspirational talk is given by one of the captains, Kobe or Fisher, it's welcome."

The question remains for Sunday's Game 7 (3:30 p.m. ET, ABC) whether Jackson isn't going to just welcome a halftime speech, but ask one of his players to create that "fired up" intensity by speaking to the team prior to tip-off.

Bryant's explosion was more out of desperation than premeditation. He reacted to the deficit his team was facing. L.A. hopes to have the energy from the start on Sunday.

"Excluding the first game of the [Houston series] we've played very well on our home court," Jackson said. "We feel very well about our ability to come out and play with the kind of energy on our court that we've maintained over the year and during this Playoffs."

Jackson is right when you go by the numbers. The Lakers are 41-6 at Staples Center in the regular season and postseason this year. In the history of Game 7s in the Playoffs, the home team has won 81 of 101. Jackson has been there before too, taking Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals by 29 at home over New York in '92 after losing Game 6 on the road by 14; winning Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals in his last season in Chicago after losing Game 6 on the road in Indiana; and bouncing back from a 10-point loss in Portland in Game 6 of the West finals in '00 only to win Game 7 back at home -- a game that was made into a "Where Amazing Happens" commercial spot a couple of weeks ago.

There is virtue in a team keeping an even keel and never getting too up or too down, but it all seems a little too nonchalant, doesn't it?

The Lakers are playing a team that's putting everything out there on the table and loving every second of it. L.A. is holding onto its "act like you've been there before" card and hoping it can still win the hand.

"It's about first quarters," said Vujacic. In 10 of the Lakers' 11 games this postseason, the team leading after one went on to win the game. "The way they started the first quarters and how they feel that they're playing good and their confidence is at such a high level, we just got to take that away from them. We got to deliver the first punch."

But, if the Lakers knew the first-quarter problem after Game 1 and couldn't correct it, and after Game 4 and didn't do anything about it, what makes them think they can get it right after Game 6?

"I don't know," Vujacic said. "If I did, I would be Nostradamus I would know every answer that you guys are throwing at me but I really don't know what's wrong and what happens in that first quarter. I know that we're going to have our crowd behind us. I know we're playing a home court Game 7 and we just have to play smart and play team basketball and we have nothing to fear."

Nothing to fear but speaking up too late, like Bryant did on Thursday and silencing any chatter about a championship in the city of Los Angeles, that is.

Spur-Addict
05-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Probably the white ones.

Indazone
05-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Our sophmores are gonna come to play. Landry, Brooks, Scola!

I remember when Brooks was throwing the ball down to Landry in summer league and Landry wasn't doing much. We all wondered if Landry was going to make the league or not. Brooks lit it up and made team USA select team. Scola...nothing needs to be said about him :tu

Artest93
05-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Here's to hoping for a good, well officiated game, and hard fought, meaning rockets win

Cry Havoc
05-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Personally I didn't see anything wrong with the way Kobe treated Gasol. Pau needs a wake-up call if he wants to get out of this round, and Kobe was trying to give him one.

Indazone
05-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Hey we stole the first one in LA, we can do this!!

j.dizzle
05-17-2009, 12:04 PM
LA by 27..Brooks has to score 40+ if Houston wants to win..Aint gonna happen at staples

Indazone
05-17-2009, 12:04 PM
For Rockets forward Shane Battier, Game 7 is not “win or go home.”

Saturday he received a message from his wife that it is win or else.

“My wife (Heidi) said win or you can’t come home,” Battier said.

j.dizzle
05-17-2009, 12:08 PM
& Why the fuck did Yao have to get injured haha..Maybe Yao & T-Mac should get a paycut since they can never play a full season? haha

Bukefal
05-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Go rockets!!!