PDA

View Full Version : Nowitzski' statement on the Mavericks athleticism

AusSpursFan
05-17-2009, 03:44 AM
"It really showed in the second round that we need some athleticism," he said. "Denver was just stronger and faster, it felt like, at every position."

Weren't our reporters stating after our loss that the Mavs were too athletic for us? What does that say for us when the Mavs are saying that Denver was too athletic for them?

roycrikside
05-17-2009, 04:20 AM
It's just dumb cliche jock talk. I don't really buy it. Nugs beat Dallas because they have a better bench, a way better point guard and because Howard was playing on one leg. Lots of teams are better than Dallas (including us when we're fully healthy) and I don't think athleticism really enters into it. They just have a limited roster. Kidd is about done and Dampier is pretty average and they don't really have a shooting guard.

alchemist
05-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Josh Howard was one of the bigger reasons the Spurs lost, in the 2nd round he went down and wasn't the same again. Had he stayed playing the way he did against the Spurs it would've been a more interesting series.

SenorSpur
05-17-2009, 09:57 AM
One could bottle that statement and use it in reference to the Spurs, in their series versus the Mavs. In terms of athleticism, just how bad off are the Spurs? The Mavs were so superior to them that the Spurs made them look like the Nuggets.

However in the next round, when pitted againt the supremely-talented Nuggets, the Mavs looked just as old and athletically inferior as did the Spurs.

pjjrfan
05-17-2009, 10:32 AM
When the year began the potential for our Spurs having a great bench was there, but the injuries to Manu and then Tim somehow effected Pop's thinking, cause as far back as the all-star game Pop pretty much gave up on Bowen, Hill and placed a great burden on Mason's shoulder by making him the backup point. And for whatever reasons Finley became a major part of our offense and our defense, the offense I was fine with, but I just never could figure out Finley being out there as a stopper which neither he nor Mason were.

But yes, the Dallas bench outplayed our bench and even our starters. And then to see that same group be so dominated by the Nuggets doesn't look good for our team's future. I still think that a healthy Manu with Hill, Mason and a strong rebounder will make our bench very competitive.

thOOdee
05-17-2009, 10:32 PM
The mavs suck because they have a 7 footer who just wants to shoot the ball and is too much of a ***** to drive or dominate the paint.

SouthTexasRancher
05-17-2009, 10:45 PM
"It really showed in the second round that we need some athleticism," he said. "Denver was just stronger and faster, it felt like, at every position."

Weren't our reporters stating after our loss that the Mavs were too athletic for us? What does that say for us when the Mavs are saying that Denver was too athletic for them?

Was he talking about the Mavs or the Spurs? In today's NBA game you muct have athleticism or you're done before you start. The Spurs need some real bad at this point. Hopefully, the FO will do their best to get us some.

41times
05-18-2009, 10:35 AM

It says that the Spurs and Mavs better get some youth and athleticism if they want to compete next year.