PDA

View Full Version : Move over Dan Quayle

GSH
05-17-2009, 04:51 AM
I think this has got to be the #1 most ignorant thing a Vice President - or may be any politician - has ever said. The more you think about it, the more disturbing and frightening it is. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/17/oops-biden-reveals-location-secret-vp-bunker/

Vice President Joe Biden, well-known for his verbal gaffes, may have finally outdone himself, divulging potentially classified information meant to save the life of a sitting vice president.

According to a report, while recently attending the Gridiron Club dinner in Washington, an annual event where powerful politicians and media elite get a chance to cozy up to one another, Biden told his dinnermates about the existence of a secret bunker under the old U.S. Naval Observatory, which is now the home of the vice president.

The bunker is believed to be the secure, undisclosed location former Vice President Dick Cheney remained under protection in secret after the 9/11 attacks.

Eleanor Clift, Newsweek magazine's Washington contributing editor, said Biden revealed the location while filling in for President Obama at the dinner, who, along with Grover Cleveland, is the only president to skip the gathering.

According to the report, Biden "said a young naval officer giving him a tour of the residence showed him the hideaway, which is behind a massive steel door secured by an elaborate lock with a narrow connecting hallway lined with shelves filled with communications equipment."

Clift continued: "The officer explained that when Cheney was in lock down, this was where his most trusted aides were stationed, an image that Biden conveyed in a way that suggested we shouldn't be surprised that the policies that emerged were off the wall."

The revelation is the latest from Biden, who has a long history of political blunders.

Most recently, he said in a televised interview that if a family member asked him about traveling he'd advise staying away from public transportation or confined spaces to avoid swine flu -- a remark described as "borderline fearmongering" by an airline spokesman.

Nbadan
05-17-2009, 05:30 AM
..worst secret ever...

exstatic
05-17-2009, 09:40 AM
The only thing worse than the POTUSs of the last 40 years are the VPOTUSs.

Agnew (crook)
Ford
Rockefeller (he wasn't terrible, but then again, he wasn't elected)
Mondale
Bush43
Quayle
Gore
Cheney
Biden

Rome falls....

Winehole23
05-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Anatomy of a Myth (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/white-house-watch/anatomy-of-a-myth.html?wprss=rss_blog)

by Dan Froomkin

Here's a classic example of an inaccurate story instantly gaining mythological status.

As Mark Silva (http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/05/bidens_bunker_undisclosed_disc.html) blogs for Tribune, Washington yesterday was "abuzz with word that Vice President Joe Biden reportedly had disclosed the location of the undisclosed location that his predecessor, Dick Cheney, made mysteriously famous."

Consider the Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/17/oops-biden-reveals-location-secret-vp-bunker/) headline: Biden Reveals Location of Secret VP Bunker.

What set it all off was a blog post by Newsweek's Eleanor Clift (http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thegaggle/archive/2009/05/15/shining-light-on-cheney-s-hideaway.aspx): "Ever wonder about that secure, undisclosed location where Dick Cheney secreted himself after the 9/11 attacks? Joe Biden reveals the bunker-like room is at the Naval Observatory in Washington, where Cheney lived for eight years and which is now home to Biden. The veep related the story to his head-table dinner mates when he filled in for President Obama at the Gridiron Club earlier this year. He said the young naval officer giving him a tour of the residence showed him the hideaway, which is behind a massive steel door secured by an elaborate lock with a narrow connecting hallway lined with shelves filled with communications equipment. The officer explained that when Cheney was in lock down, this was where his most trusted aides were stationed, an image that Biden conveyed in a way that suggested we shouldn’t be surprised that the policies that emerged were off the wall."

Roxanne Roberts and Amy Argetsinger (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/reliable-source/2009/05/rs-bunker19.html) write in The Washington Post that Clift's "source" was the club's newsletter, in which club President Dick Cooper of the Tribune Co. recounted what Biden had said to him at the dinner -- fully two months ago.

But Clift apparently put two and two together and got five. The room in question was not Cheney's secret bunker.

As Silva writes: "Elizabeth Alexander, Biden's spokeswoman, offered this explanation this afternoon: 'What the vice president described in his comments was not - as some press reports have suggested - an underground facility, but rather, an upstairs workspace in the residence, which he understood was frequently used by Vice President Cheney and his aides.

"'That workspace was converted into an upstairs guestroom when the Bidens moved into the residence,' Alexander said. 'There was no disclosure of classified information.'"

But too late -- Biden's latest "gaffe" has now entered the pop-culture bloodstream.

Via U.S. News (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/politics/bulletin/bulletin_090519.htm#political_humor), here was Jay Leno last night: "Well, another gaffe by Vice President Joe Biden. God bless Joe Biden....He's been our savior here. 'Newsweek' is reporting that at the Gridiron Dinner, Joe Biden started talking and accidentally revealed Dick Cheney's secret hiding place. See, there's more proof you don't need waterboarding to get secret information. Just give Joe Biden a couple of drinks."

And David Letterman: "Here's something that I am very excited about. Joe Biden, the current vice president, was yakking away over the weekend. And he -- remember when Dick Cheney...was in an undisclosed location and everybody thought where?...So supposedly top secret information, classified information. And Joe Biden just says, 'No, I know where he was. He was hiding under his house.'... Joe Biden is living proof that people can give up sensitive information without being tortured."

Yonivore
05-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Seems the right place for this:

The Great Commuter Strikes Again (http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=NzViMjBiZjY1Y2VjY2VhYTUxMDA1Yzc5NWY5YTVmMDc=)

With all the hullabaloo over the Notre Dame speech this weekend, no one seemed to much notice Joe Biden gave the commencement address at Wake Forest yesterday. You can read the transcript here, but as to be expected, you could probably give yourself a pre-frontal lobotomy with a screwdriver that's accidentally been dropped in the toilet and come off more coherent than Joe Biden. What's going on here? Even with speechwriters, the Great Commuter is still a verbal train wreck:

I believe so strongly, as you may recall when I was here in October, not in you particularly but your generation, that I don’t have a single doubt in my mind we’re on the cusp not only of a new century but a new day for this country and the world.
Way to win the crowd over. Don't believe "in you particularly"? I'm sure the feeling was mutual, Mr. Vice President.

There’s not a single issue on this President’s plate that will not yield a change — just merely by ignoring it, it will change.
Change has come to America — even when it hasn't! You know, it's true what they say, the more things don't change, the more they change. Or something.

Folks, we’re either going to fundamentally change the course of history, or fail the generations that come after us, because change will occur. Non-action is action, unlike most generations.
Does he think this makes sense or is he just going to steamroll through the speech and hope no one notices? "Like I said, non-action is action and if that's confusing — oh look, here is a picture of a cat with a piece of bacon taped to it."

But today, with all the difficulties you face, you graduated into a moment where your opportunities are much greater. And your charge is not to restore anything but to make anew.
Nothing in this country needs restoring. Change for change's sake. Change is always positive. Change.

This has been the history of the journey of America — never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, never have the American people let their country down at rare moments, similar moments in our history. And it’s a journey we’re all going to take together.
Biden then added, "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and desert you. Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye, never gonna tell a lie and hurt you."
Seriously, this is our Vice President?

Winehole23
05-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Yoni is reduced to scanning Biden's commencement speeches for smack. In the other thread he's sticking up for Obama.

Srsly?

Yonivore
05-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Yoni is reduced to scanning Biden's commencement speeches for smack. In the other thread he's sticking up for Obama.

Srsly?
Are they Siamese twins? Can I not criticize one while supporting the other?

Seriously?

And, don't worry, Obama fucking up enough on the domestic front to keep us all busy for the next couple of years.

Winehole23
05-19-2009, 09:17 PM
It's just pathetic what you're reduced to. I note with alarm that you defend Obama now.

Are you a bandwaggoner, Yoni?

Yonivore
05-19-2009, 09:19 PM
It's just pathetic what you're reduced to. I note with alarm that you defend Obama now.

Are you a bandwaggoner, Yoni?
I support the policies he's pursuing in the war on terror. That's all.

As for the Biden post, it seemed to fit in this thread. You never post on trivial matters.

Winehole23
05-19-2009, 09:30 PM
I support the policies he's pursuing in the war on terror. That's all.Shout it loud, asshole.

Marcus Bryant
05-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Shouldn't it trouble a "conservative" that a liberal Democratic administration wouldn't have that much of a problem with continuing a war on whatever, irrespective of the cosmetic changes?

Winehole23
05-19-2009, 09:37 PM
He's a bandwaggoner. And a coward.

Yonivore
05-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Shouldn't it trouble a "conservative" that a liberal Democratic administration wouldn't have that much of a problem with continuing a war on whatever, irrespective of the cosmetic changes?
I don't know. I just know it doesn't trouble me that Obama has seen the value in continuing policies that have obviously worked.

Otherwise, he'd of had no trouble abandoning them and blasting Bush in the process.

That he's sees them as so vital he's willing to endure the condemnation of his own says more about the necessity of the policies than it does about the man.

Like I said, reality is a bitch of a teacher.

Yonivore
05-19-2009, 09:40 PM
He's a bandwaggoner. And a coward.
And, you're a pig fucker.

Read that somewhere.

But, do explain why my supporting the policies -- carried over from an administration with which I agreed -- makes me a bandwaggoner.

Marcus Bryant
05-19-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't know. I just know it doesn't trouble me that Obama has seen the value in continuing policies that have obviously worked.

Otherwise, he'd of had no trouble abandoning them and blasting Bush in the process.

You have no trouble with the continuation of policies based on the existence of the great bogeyman.

That he's sees them as so vital he's willing to endure the condemnation of his own says more about the necessity of the policies than it does about the man.

Like I said, reality is a bitch of a teacher.

LMAO. So we have a politician willing to endure the wrath of their own base to continue what in your estimation is necessary, good, and correct, and yet that is not seen as demonstration of the highest character.

Winehole23
05-19-2009, 09:44 PM

Like I said, reality is a bitch of a teacher.That's some punk ass shit right there, Yoni. You should quit digging.

Yonivore
05-19-2009, 09:49 PM
You have no trouble with the continuation of policies based on the existence of the great bogeyman.
Obviously, we're a universe apart on this so, why bother...

LMAO. So we have a politician willing to endure the wrath of their own base to continue what in your estimation is necessary, good, and correct, and yet that is not seen as demonstration of the highest character.
If he had any character, he'd quit acting like this is his idea and give President Bush props for pursuing the right policy in the war on terror these past 8 years.

That'd demonstrate character.

Yonivore
05-19-2009, 09:49 PM
That's some punk ass shit right there, Yoni. You should quit digging.
Grow up Mr. Piggy.

Marcus Bryant
05-19-2009, 09:56 PM
If he had any character, he'd quit acting like this is his idea and give President Bush props for pursuing the right policy in the war on terror these past 8 years.

That'd demonstrate character.

So unless he kisses Bush's ass, he doesn't have character?

Winehole23
05-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Now Yoni wants Obama to bow to Bush. I thought you were against Presidents kowtowing to tyrants.

Yonivore
05-19-2009, 10:01 PM
So unless he kisses Bush's ass, he doesn't have character?
I merely suggested a man with character would give credit where credit is due.

You two are the ones hyperbolizing the issue. Have fun with that...I'm satisfied that he's continuing the policies.

A more curious person would wonder why, after a campaign full of rhetoric that condemned these very same policies, at every turn, he's damn near adopted them all. But, y'all've aready proven youreselves incurious where Obama's concerned.

Winehole23
05-19-2009, 10:04 PM
You two are the ones hyperbolizing the issue. Have fun with that...I'm satisfied that he's continuing the policies.I've been saying this for months.

You're a bandwaggoner.

Go back to sleep, Yoni. We'll wake you up if we need another update on old news.

Marcus Bryant
05-19-2009, 10:05 PM
I merely suggested a man with character would give credit where credit is due.

You two are the ones hyperbolizing the issue. Have fun with that...I'm satisfied that he's continuing the policies.

A more curious person would wonder why, after a campaign full of rhetoric that condemned these very same policies, at every turn, he's damn near adopted them all. But, y'all've aready proven youreselves incurious where Obama's concerned.

Perhaps now that he's president, he has full access to the intel which you feel has made Bush Rushmore worthy.

I'm reminded of a quote:

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"

Yonivore
05-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Perhaps now that he's president, he has full access to the intel which you feel has made Bush Rushmore worthy.
I think that's what I've been saying.

Winehole23
05-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Go play with your new libtard friends, Yoni. You won't get any sympathy from me.

Marcus Bryant
05-19-2009, 10:18 PM
I think that's what I've been saying.

So then he's changing his mind in response to the facts and is willing to endure the wrath of his supporters. I'm not sure how that's a bad thing from your perspective.

Winehole23
05-19-2009, 10:27 PM
It's the ersatz change. Obama keeps the expanded powers as a responsible *centrist*, while pissing backwards on Bush.

No skin off me, but it seems to make Yoni a little sore.

Winehole23
05-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Yoni gets props for consistency. I wonder if he'll turn out to be as much of a toady for Obama as he was for Bush. Somehow, I doubt it. It's probably just a spring fling.

Marcus Bryant
05-19-2009, 10:40 PM
It's the ersatz change. Obama keeps the expanded powers as a responsible *centrist*, while pissing backwards on Bush.

No skin off me, but it seems to make Yoni a little sore.

Then that's just "politics." Still, as a superpatriot, Yonivore should be excited.