PDA

View Full Version : So is James Harrison retarded or what?

florige
05-17-2009, 07:41 PM
I know this probably belongs in the NFL forum, but I figure there are enough people here who knows a little something about how this works.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/16/james-harrison-wont-go-to-the-white-house/

James Harrison Won’t Go To The White House
Posted by Mike Florio on May 16, 2009, 1:58 p.m. EDT
When the Pittsburgh Steelers visit the White House next week, they’ll do it without one of the men primarily responsible for their sixth Super Bowl title: Linebacker James Harrison.

“This is how I feel — if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don’t win the Super Bowl,” Harrison said. “As far as I’m concerned, [Obama] would’ve invited Arizona if they had won.”

Um.

Um.

Um.

James, are you OK? Have you suffered any recent blunt trauma to the brain box?

It’s a ritual in this country that the major-league teams winning championships are invited to the White House for a visit.

So, yeah, the invitation applies only to the Super Bowl champs. It’s one of the things that make the accomplishment special.

And, no, the President doesn’t have the time or the desire to invite the 31 teams that didn’t win the Super Bowl to conduct seven-on-sevens in the Rose Garden. (After all, that might cut into the time he has allotted to work on his NCAA brackets.)

But, hey, at least we now have a better understanding of how the Steelers got Harrison to sign a long-term deal worth only $51 million

Spur-Addict
05-17-2009, 08:05 PM
What a lame.

Newsflash James: You aren't entitled to everything just because you play a pro sport.

jack sommerset
05-17-2009, 08:28 PM
That is stupid.

LakerHater
05-17-2009, 10:30 PM
That is stupid.

Who cares

http://db.funformobile.com/images/smiles/good.gif (javascript:emoticon('form_text',':good:'))

EricB
05-17-2009, 10:33 PM
That goes in the no duh hall of fame.

stretch
05-18-2009, 10:08 AM
its cuz hes on roids or something. his temper this year has been outrageous.

AlamoSpursFan
05-18-2009, 11:11 AM
And when I saw the headline, I thought he was making a political statement. Now I see he was just making a retarded statement.

:lol

phxspurfan
05-18-2009, 11:19 AM
That's it. I'm taking my James Harrison poster down.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-18-2009, 12:42 PM
I for one respect his integrity. You win a Super Bowl, become a big star, get a $50 million contract, and suddenly all these people come out of the woodwork wanting to invite you over when they wouldn't give you the time of day a year ago. Eventually they all want something. He's right to be suspicious.

"Sounds like you're the next big thing James, so it's only fitting that I give you a shot at the ground floor the next big thing for America. I call it Universal Healthcare. It's already a hit in Europe. I just need the start up capital to get it rolling here in the states. Trust me James, it's gonna be huge!"

Bukefal
05-18-2009, 12:48 PM
This guy is stupid. But, would you expect otherwise?

MoSpur
05-18-2009, 01:10 PM
What's worse then this guy's decision is the writer and newspaper that dedicated a story and news to him.

dirk4mvp
05-18-2009, 01:16 PM
I for one respect his integrity. You win a Super Bowl, become a big star, get a $50 million contract, and suddenly all these people come out of the woodwork wanting to invite you over when they wouldn't give you the time of day a year ago. Eventually they all want something. He's right to be suspicious.

??

The winning team gets invited no matter who you are. If you're the roided up linebacker or the punter, you get to go.

Trainwreck2100
05-18-2009, 01:17 PM
??

The winning team gets invited no matter who you are. If you're the roided up linebacker or the punter, you get to go.

sarcasm

dirk4mvp
05-18-2009, 01:31 PM
fail by me

stretch
05-18-2009, 01:38 PM
lol colts

dirk4mvp
05-18-2009, 01:39 PM
lol raiders not getting invited anytime soon

ShoogarBear
05-18-2009, 03:21 PM
if you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don’t win the Super Bowl

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A8925/89251/300_89251.jpg

Hopes Harrison's idea is adopted.

IronMexican
05-18-2009, 04:42 PM
fail by me

Why didn't you pretend to not acknowledge it? lefty did it, and he didn't come out looking like a complete dumbass.

MiamiHeat
05-19-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't think you guys understand what he meant

One season ago, nobody gave a shit about him. So, just because he won the Super Bowl the President wants to meet him?

Why? If he had lost, then they would meet the Cardinals instead. The President doesn't give a shit about James Harrison or the Steelers.

I wouldn't have said it myself, but I understand what he means. It's superficial and meaningless.

florige
05-19-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't think you guys understand what he meant

One season ago, nobody gave a shit about him. So, just because he won the Super Bowl the President wants to meet him?

Why? If he had lost, then they would meet the Cardinals instead. The President doesn't give a shit about James Harrison or the Steelers.

I wouldn't have said it myself, but I understand what he means. It's superficial and meaningless.

I understand that ration, but that is a tradition whenever ANY major sporting team wins a championship. I could understand him saying that if this were something that were only done on spot occasions. The statement he made is like he had no idea that is what happens when you win a championship. I just think he made an ass of himself saying something like that without clarifying what he actually meant.

ShoogarBear
05-19-2009, 06:12 PM

Nobody gives a shit about him or wants to meet him now. They want to congratulate his team. His runaway ego has him thinking it's all about him.

Whisky Dog
05-19-2009, 06:51 PM
It all has to do with perception. Most people consider it a huge honor to meet the president because they had it ingrained in them growing up. Others do not believe the same. I personally wouldn't go either because I view the president as another corrupt politician who's ability to kiss ass and make people buy his bullshit was greater than other corrupt politicians. He's just another man who's going to die like all of us, why would I go out of my way to meet the guy?

MiamiHeat
05-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Don't get me wrong, I would never have said that in public. He should have just politely declined and that's it.

If the Cardinals won the game by 1 point, and James Harrison played the exact same way and played his heart out, the President isn't meeting him.

So, it's superficial and bullshit. I wouldn't go. The tradition is just used for politics now, to make the President more popular and seem down to earth.

chode_regulator
05-19-2009, 11:35 PM
what

chode_regulator
05-19-2009, 11:36 PM
In all seriousness...he is a dumbass.
As if they president has the time to just come check out the steelers anytime. Or any football team or pro team period.

Tradition dictates this and I would think it would be an honor to be able to go to the white house...regardless of who the president was or if you voted for him or any of htat other shit.

Whisky Dog
05-20-2009, 12:55 AM
In all seriousness...he is a dumbass.
As if they president has the time to just come check out the steelers anytime. Or any football team or pro team period.

Tradition dictates this and I would think it would be an honor to be able to go to the white house...regardless of who the president was or if you voted for him or any of htat other shit.

There are many traditions in many cultures that dictate stupid ass bullshit, yet idiotic sheep-like people follow them because it's "tradition". My advice for anyone is to use your brain and make up your own mind regardless of tradition.