PDA

View Full Version : I could not be happier. Korncrap is out on MNF.

BacktoBasics
05-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Gruden joins 'Monday Night Football' booth

Jon Gruden intends to coach again, but until that day, the man known throughout the NFL as "Chucky" will get to sharpen his teeth in ESPN's "Monday Night Football" booth.

Gruden will join play-by-play man Mike Tirico and analyst Ron Jaworski in September, replacing Tony Kornheiser, who has decided to step down after three years.

"This is a tremendous opportunity and I am very excited to be associated with ESPN and Monday Night Football," Gruden said in a statement released by ESPN. "I grew up a fan of Monday Night Football, and whether I've coached on Monday night or watched, I've hardly missed a game all these years.

"To join Mike and Jaws in the booth and to work alongside this top-notch team is going to be a real thrill."

Gruden was fired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Jan. 16 and replaced by defensive coordinator Raheem Morris just weeks after the Bucs' season-ending loss to the Oakland Raiders cost them a possible playoff spot.

At 60-57 in seven seasons, Gruden was the winningest coach in Bucs history and led Tampa Bay to victory in Super Bowl XXXVII. He also has coached the Raiders.

stretch
05-18-2009, 09:53 AM
I like Gruden. This should be interesting and a breath of fresh air.

manufan10
05-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Now Tony Kornheiser can just focus on PTI. It's something he's good at.

samikeyp
05-18-2009, 10:13 AM
:tu

Blake
05-18-2009, 10:38 AM
glad Kornhole is gone, but Gruden? I wonder if he'll give that same scowl in the booth as he does on the sidelines.

I guess he's gonna wait it out as an announcer until the Notre Dame job opens up.

IronMexican
05-18-2009, 10:52 AM
This is great news.

samikeyp
05-18-2009, 10:55 AM
I guess he's gonna wait it out as an announcer until the Notre Dame job opens up.

Exactly.

manufan10
05-18-2009, 11:20 AM

Has he shown interest in the Notre Dame job? I'm asking because I haven't read or seen anything on it.

samikeyp
05-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Has he shown interest in the Notre Dame job? I'm asking because I haven't read or seen anything on it.

He did when it was open before when Weis took it but he didn't want to (or couldn't) leave TB.

degenerate_gambler
05-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Great news...

manufan10
05-18-2009, 12:14 PM
He did when it was open before when Weis took it but he didn't want to (or couldn't) leave TB.

Sometimes I have a bad memory. Thanks for the info. :tu

jack sommerset
05-18-2009, 01:16 PM
He might have been the worst MNF annoucer of all time. ESPN keeps saying he stepped down on his own every 15 minutes.

samikeyp
05-18-2009, 01:58 PM
He might have been the worst MNF annoucer of all time. ESPN keeps saying he stepped down on his own every 15 minutes.

Even worse than Dennis Miller? :wow

:lol

BacktoBasics
05-18-2009, 02:10 PM

:lolNo doubt he was worse than Miller. Which is bad.

Obstructed_View
05-18-2009, 03:23 PM

:lol

That he could be mentioned in the same breath as Miller is bad enough considering all the years he spent working in the sports media industry.