View Full Version : 2009 Draft Prospect: Chinemelu Elonu

Bruno
05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/011709elonu_w300(1).jpg
Height: 6-10
Weight: 235 lbs
Birthday: 03/11/1987
College: Texas A&M

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chinemelu-Elonu-5624/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/chinemelu-elonu)

Bruno
06-16-2009, 04:56 AM
http://media.www.thebatt.com/media/storage/paper657/news/2009/06/16/Sports/Elonu.To.Go.Pro-3747802.shtml

Elonu to go Pro
Aggie senior declares

By: Patrick Hayslip
Issue date: 6/16/09 Section: Sports

Texas A&M Senior Chinemelu Elonu will stay in the NBA draft while seniors Donald Sloan and Bryan Davis withdrew their names from the draft Monday. These decisions came before a 5 p.m. EDT deadline to withdraw their names.

"We wish Chinemelu the best in his career," Turgeon said. "He graduated in May and just felt like he was ready to move on with his life. It was a good process for Sloan and Davis and they learned a lot. They are ready to come back, lead the team and have great senior years."

Losing Elonu and Josh Carter, the 24-10 Aggies will return eight of the team's top 10 scorers, including three senior starters.

"I think if you ask the team, we feel like we have a chance to be pretty good next year, so we'd like everybody back," Turgeon said. "But I think everybody respects the opportunity that is there for all three of those guys, especially Chin. If there is an opportunity for him to be drafted in the first round, we are going to accept that and be happy for him, and it just helps our program."

Elonu worked out for a number of teams including Dallas, San Antonio, Cleveland and Miami, and he acknowledged that his coaches gave him things to work on in order to improve his draft status and excel in the NBA.

"I talked to coach about the changes I needed and they gave me a lot of words of encouragement about what they think I should do and what pertains of each workout," Elonu said.

Coach Turgeon recognized certain aspects that Elonu could improve on, especially with regard to his mental strength.

"He's got to continue to get stronger and get stronger in his lower half to hold his ground better, especially at that next level," Turgeon said. "We have been talking to Chin about getting stronger, being more consistent, and just being mentally tougher.

"If he can understand the game, that's going to be his ticket, if he can do that, then he has got a chance to play at that level and be there a while."

As far as Elonu's draft outlook is concerned, Coach Turgeon acts as a liaison between him and the higher-ups of the NBA.

"These guys don't have an agent involved, so most of the communication will go through me and general managers and assistant general managers," Turgeon said.

Turgeon mentioned that Elonu wouldn't have left unless he had a strong shot at being a first-round pick, and reflected upon Elonu's process.

"I think he has really improved," Turgeon said. "I think he went from not really being on the radar to people talking about him."

Elonu, who was named the Big 12's most improved player award, averaged 9.8 points a game and a team-leading 7.3 rebounds a game along with 53 blocked shots. He also set a school record shooting 66.5 percent from the field.

Elonu earned honorable mention All-Big 12 honors after averaging 9.8 points and a team-best 7.3 rebounds and 53 blocked shots. He set a school record by making 66.5 percent from the field and was named the Big 12's most improved player.

The NBA draft is two rounds long and set for June 25. Elonu hopes to sign a contract and is looking forward to his NBA career.

"I'm very eager to play on that level and it's something I've always dreamed of," Elonu said. "I'm looking at being drafted as a four or a five, maybe play a little small forward if I have to."
Despite Elonu's decision to push on ahead with his basketball career, he made it clear that his time at A&M was valuable and the decision was not easy.

"I love A&M and it was a tough decision for me to leave early," Elonu said to Aggieathletics.com. "I prayed about it a lot and the fact that I graduated last month helped me make the decision to see what I can do at the next level. I just want to thank the fans, my coaches, my teammates and everyone at A&M for all they have done for me and for the great experience I had here."

Thompson
06-16-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure why he's leaving, I kind of doubt he's a first round pick; then again in a 'weak' draft, who knows. If he's still there he might be worth one of our picks at 51 or 53; He did show a huge amount of improvement from his sophomore to junior year.

I'm disappointed he's leaving, A&M would have been a lot better with him this year. He has long arms and is more athletic than Oberto, so he might be a good replacement for him (especially if he continues to improve).

The following link has some more information about Elonu's potential. It compares him to Joakim Noah and Louis Amundson, though it states the Noah comparison might be a little too favorable.

http://www.thetwomangame.com/tag/2009-draft/

mookie2001
06-16-2009, 08:12 PM
he had a great workout and hes already graduated

i dont think the dudes 6-10 235, 6-8 maybe, needs to put on weight

9 pts a game in collie station is nba ready i guess, d jordan averaged like 6 his freshman year

MajorMike
06-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Move along; nothing to see.

D-ROB 50
06-16-2009, 09:35 PM
These are'nt the droids you're looking for.

loveforthegame
06-16-2009, 10:06 PM
These are'nt the droids you're looking for.

:lol

It's kind of depressing all these guys they're looking at will most likely be stashed somewhere overseas or maybe with the Toros once they're waived.

Doug Collins
06-18-2009, 04:00 PM
he had a great workout and hes already graduated

i dont think the dudes 6-10 235, 6-8 maybe, needs to put on weight

9 pts a game in collie station is nba ready i guess, d jordan averaged like 6 his freshman year

Jordan did have an nba ready scowl