PDA

View Full Version : Stein: Latest Word On Futures Of Nash, Kidd

duncan228
05-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Latest word on futures of Nash, Kidd (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=Chatter-090518)
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Some fresh pours of chatter from the NBA grapevine, culled from various plugged-in sources around the league:

Steve Nash is one of the many desirable names on the long, intoxicating list of 2010 free agents.

Yet it's looking increasingly probable that this summer will be the offseason that brings clarity to Nash's future, via one of two outcomes:

1. He will ultimately sign the multiyear contract extension that the Suns have been preparing for him.

2. The Suns will get a trade offer for Nash too good to resist.

Phoenix is expected to make Amare Stoudemire and Shaquille O'Neal available in trades this offseason, just as it did before the February trading deadline, but NBA front-office sources say that the Suns will soon be getting trade pitches for Nash, ready or not.

Portland, Golden State, Toronto, New York and Houston are five teams we know of that are either readying or contemplating bids for Nash, with the Blazers listed first not only because of their interest in a push-the-pace veteran leader but because they could furnish Phoenix will multiple youngsters -- Jerryd Bayless and Travis Outlaw, just to name two for starters -- if the Suns decide they want to start over.

Let's be clear, though: Phoenix has no such desire at present. Rebuilding without Nash is not something Suns president Steve Kerr is prepared to contemplate.

"I have no interest in trading him," Kerr said Monday. "I've said many times that our interest is re-signing him. Steve is the face of our franchise. I think everybody knows that we would love to be able to extend his contract so that he retires a Sun."

Before he left for an overseas soccer-watching trip to hang out with pals Alessandro Del Piero, Kaka and Thierry Henry, Nash expressed the same hope, reiterating what he's also been saying for weeks about how he hopes he "can still make it work in Phoenix."

Yet it's likewise believed that Nash -- after missing the playoffs for the first time since the 2000-01 season with Dallas -- wants to see what sort of roster maneuvering the Suns can do before he commits to signing an extension ... since Phoenix can't expect a whole lot from Tuesday's lottery with a mere 0.5 percent chance of landing the No. 1 overall pick and the right to draft Blake Griffin after going 46-36.

The urgency, though, isn't solely felt by Kerr and Suns managing partner Robert Sarver. If Phoenix can't do a lot to change its on-the-floor look before next season, Nash would be taking an undeniable risk, at 35, to pass on a two- or three-year extension.

Nash's only other alternatives, if the sides reach the fall without a deal, are to play out the final season of his contract at $13.2 million -- something neither side would want because of all the uncertainties attached -- or take the uncomfortable step of requesting a trade. (Don't forget that the Suns have already made one change largely for Nash's benefit by firing Terry Porter in the first year of a three-year coaching contract and replacing Porter with Alvin Gentry.)

"I'd imagine the odds are that I'll be back," Nash told The Arizona Republic's Paul Coro in April. "That's what I'm hoping for. I think that's what the front office is hoping for. If I had a bet on it, that would be the best odds."

The odds are good that we'll know a lot about the remaining three seasons Nash still wants to play by the time training camp hits.

The Dallas Mavericks are another prominent entity frequently linked to the expected bonanza in 2010 but which actually figures to be in the news a lot during the coming offseason.

That's because Mavs owner Mark Cuban thinks he has a better shot at getting his team back into the West's elite if it can add to its current core -- after Dallas became the first team in league history to win 50 games after losing seven of its first nine -- as opposed to starting the teardown so many outsiders are calling for.

Adding to the core, of course, means first making sure that in-house free agents Jason Kidd and Brandon Bass don't leave. Those two probably rank as Dirk Nowitzki's two closest friends on the roster, but folks in the organization are openly concerned about finding a way to re-sign Kidd, who is determined to hold out for a multiyear deal.

"I'm sure," Nowitzki says, "all the good teams want him."

It initially seemed as though Kobe Bryant's Los Angeles Lakers and/or LeBron James' Cleveland Cavaliers were the only suitors for Dallas to worry about, given their status as championship contenders and Kidd's ongoing pursuit of an NBA ring. But I've been advised that Portland -- with a decent amount of cap space to burn this summer and a presumed desire to upgrade at the point with someone who can push the pace and give some veteran guidance to all that promising youth -- has to be on the list as well. It remains to be seen if Kidd could be sold on relocating to the Pacific Northwest, but New York is another team that he'd likely consider if the Knicks show interest, purely because of his comfort level with Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni and familiarity with the area after his time with New Jersey.

The Mavs, though, can outbid anyone for the 36-year-old, who quietly had a much better season than advertised and who figures to have a far bigger impact if he is surrounded by at least three consistent producers. With Josh Howard plagued by ankle trouble all season, Dallas had only two of those: Nowitzki and Sixth Man Award winner Jason Terry. And that number was down to one in the Mavs' second-round series with Denver, when the Nuggets' length and aggressive trapping on pick-and-rolls smothered Terry.

The combination of Nowitzki's rise to an MVP level, its successful scramble to acquire Terry and the presence of Devin Harris enabled Dallas to weather Nash's free-agent departure in the summer of 2004. Kidd exiting in July, with Nowitzki soon to be 31 and a supporting cast no longer feared in the new West, would probably force Dallas to launch that teardown, since all Cuban would have left from the Harris trade then would be Antoine Wright and the memories of a first-round win over the Manu Ginobili-less San Antonio Spurs.

"If we lose him now, it'll be tough," Nowitzki said last week after the Mavs were ousted by Denver in five games.

"Kidd and myself, I think we're pretty tight. ... He knows how I feel about him and he knows we would love to keep him here."

At least one club insider, for what it's worth, says he thinks Kidd will either stay in Dallas -- where he's genuinely comfortable as Nowitzki's sidekick and likes the idea of finishing his career with the team that drafted him -- or work with the Mavs on a sign-and-trade as opposed to just bolting without compensation.

Apart from the Mavs he wants to re-sign, Cuban continues to say that he's prepared to be on the short list of owners willing to take on long-term salary commitments in the trade market, knowing that waiting for the summer of 2010 -- with no guarantee that Dallas would have any shot at a difference-making free agent -- would likely only burn another season of Nowitzki's prime.

And Dallas does have three fairly significant trade chips to make a trade splash with between now and October for one more run with the current group. Jerry Stackhouse is entering the final year of his contract at $7 million, but only $2 million is guaranteed if Stackhouse is traded and let go by his new team before Aug. 10. Erick Dampier is essentially entering the final year of his deal, at $12.1 million, because he has roughly zero shot to log the 2,100 minutes required in 2009-10 to make his $13 million salary in 2010-11 guaranteed. Then there's Howard, who ranks as another expiring contract because his $11.8 million salary in 2010-11 is a team option.

"The plan is to be opportunistic ... and see what happens financially with all these teams," Cuban said, hoping that the global economic crunch will lead to more giveaways of high-salaried talent, as seen over the past year-plus when the likes of Pau Gasol and Marcus Camby were sold off almost purely to create financial flexibility.

The problem? The Mavs' list of needs is long even if Kidd and Bass are back. More perimeter shooting, more speed, more dependable length and strength at the rim, someone besides Nowitzki to create his own shot and/or slash ... Dallas could use all of that.

"We would love to get some athleticism around Kidd so he can actually throw some lobs on the break and stuff like that," Nowitzki said.

Cuban's ambitious target, in his words, is a "young perennial All-Star." That probably translates to pressing Toronto about its willingness to part with Dallas native Chris Bosh, but since the Raps continue to say they have no interest in moving Bosh, I could see the Mavs sniffing around Atlanta to see if Josh Smith will be made available. Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson and Michael Redd are all likely to be available, but the Mavs know they need to get younger.

From the veterans' committee, as stated here previously, Rasheed Wallace is said to have interest in both Dallas and San Antonio as a free-agent destination.

Basketballgirl25
05-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Kidd don't be stupid stay in Dallas, don't go to Knicks, you could lose the last of the respect Net fans have for you if you did that.:lol

sook
05-18-2009, 03:28 PM
WE NEED NASH.

I would so trade anyone on our team for him, but I think brooks would have to be involved in the trade...would that be smart? Brooks is already a better scorer than nash but we need his experience

manufan10
05-18-2009, 03:31 PM
If Kidd was smart he wouldn't go to New York. That city is taking NBA players and swallowing them whole. Nothing good is happening in the NBA from New York.

manufan10
05-18-2009, 03:33 PM
WE NEED NASH.

I would so trade anyone on our team for him, but I think brooks would have to be involved in the trade...would that be smart? Brooks is already a better scorer than nash but we need his experience

If the Rockets actually pull that off... :wow It will make Yao Ming better, it will make everyone better! How do you think Nash's defense, it is a liability, would fit in with Houston?

sook
05-18-2009, 03:36 PM
ok so yea that is a HUGE problem.

We have a defensive identity....

Nash is as close as you can get to crap defense. But with guys like Shane and Ron in our lineup do we really need him to be? Look at brooks, he is bad defensively as well.

I don't know I think we have such a solid identity that most guys will assimilate and try their ebst.

manufan10
05-18-2009, 04:17 PM
I think the Nash deal would help out Yao tremendously. The defense thing might hurt them a little, but the Rockets would gain a former 2-time MVP. I believe the Rockets rely more on a team defense approach, and therefore could get by with one guy not being a total stud on defense. The only PG's in the West that he has to worry about are Parker, CP3, and Williams and then you can funnel them to Yao. I would really like to see this happen. Then you have to worry about who you're going to have to give up. Who would you trade to make it work?

sook
05-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Mcgrady is an expiring, and I think they would want Brooks undoubtadly due to his playoff scoring explosion as a 2nd year PG. I'm not sure we want to give up AB, I haven't seen that type of shooting touch in a while.

tomtom
05-18-2009, 04:58 PM
WE NEED NASH MOREer

iggypop123
05-18-2009, 05:07 PM
nash is more likely to go to portland. they need a pg desperately. blake is a piece of shit

baseline bum
05-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Yao and Nash would be a horrible fit together.

Halberto
05-18-2009, 05:42 PM
WE NEED NASH.

you really think Nash would work in Houston? lol yeah I can see Yao Ming bringing out the best in him

You need a player like Chauncy Billups

pauls931
05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
nash is more likely to go to portland. they need a pg desperately. blake is a piece of shit

Hmm, I'd hate to see him go, but an athletic long portland with nash at the helm would be down right scary. They have enough youth and length to possibly compensate for his one on one defense.

JMarkJohns
05-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Trade Nash and Amare to Portland for Aldridge/Outlaw/Bayless and a sign-n-trade for Frye.

This is the same deal that was rumored to have been declined by Phoenix last year.

I can't imagine they'd turn it down again.

Then draft the best true PG available in this year's draft. Maynor, Flynn... Or package up Barbosa and the pick to move up for Rubio or Jennings.

EDIT: Nevermind. The original deal included LaFrenz's expiring contract which is now expired. The trade no longer matches properly. It would take on hell of a sign-n-trade with Frye to get it done.

Realistic is a sign-n-trade of the MLE with Frye (roughly 3 of which would count for trade purposes) and Outlaw and Bayless for Nash. I'd still do it.

Now that Nelson is GM/president in Golden State, Randolph may be available. Amare to Golden State for Randolph/filler...

kingmalaki
05-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Yao and Nash would be a horrible fit together.

A PG that can actually get others involved, as well as make 50% of his shots and 40+% of his 3's would be a bad fit for Yao. Um....ok.....

It's just too bad Portland can offer more than we can.

sook
05-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Fuck Portland!

WE WILL GIVE THEM ANYTHIGN THEY WANT!

baseline bum
05-18-2009, 09:51 PM
A PG that can actually get others involved, as well as make 50% of his shots and 40+% of his 3's would be a bad fit for Yao. Um....ok.....

It's just too bad Portland can offer more than we can.

So Yao's gonna run up and down the floor 35 minutes a night on his Walton foot?

kingmalaki
05-18-2009, 10:18 PM
So Yao's gonna run up and down the floor 35 minutes a night on his Walton foot?

Shaq did just fine with the Suns last season. You can run with your wings, and if the break doesn't work then you establish the low post with your big man. How much running do you think Kareem did with the Showtime Lakers later on in his career (not comparing Yao to Kareem, just saying you don't need your center to run on the break).

Nash has no problems running half court offense. I don't know too many guards who can pass and shoot lights out that do. He would be a perfect fit in Houston. It's just too bad we don't have enough assets to get him.

baseline bum
05-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Shaq did just fine with the Suns last season. You can run with your wings, and if the break doesn't work then you establish the low post with your big man. How much running do you think Kareem did with the Showtime Lakers later on in his career (not comparing Yao to Kareem, just saying you don't need your center to run on the break).

Nash has no problems running half court offense. I don't know too many guards who can pass and shoot lights out that do. He would be a perfect fit in Houston. It's just too bad we don't have enough assets to get him.

Nash was horrible and the Suns sucked playing in the halfcourt this season. Who is going to run with Nash? Artest? Battier? Yao? Nash can only play one way, and the Rockets don't have the personnel to do it.

kingmalaki
05-19-2009, 12:28 AM
Nash was horrible and the Suns sucked playing in the halfcourt this season. Who is going to run with Nash? Artest? Battier? Yao? Nash can only play one way, and the Rockets don't have the personnel to do it.

15.7 ppg, 9.7 apg on shooting %'s of 50%, 44% and 93% is horrible? Usually it's a good thing to surround a top scoring pivot with a PG that can nail open jumpers and actually get him the ball.

I have no clue where you are getting this misconception that Nash can't play halfcourt basketball. Do you actually watch the Suns and note how they score when they aren't getting points in transition? It usually revolves around Nash's decision making and shooting...two things he excels at. He played halfcourt basketball for every season in Dallas (6 years) and last year in Phoenix (and Phoenix probably would have made the postseason if Amare didn't get hurt). Not to mention, Shaq had his best season in the past 3 years with Nash.

BUMP
05-19-2009, 12:36 AM
15.7 ppg, 9.7 apg on shooting %'s of 50%, 44% and 93% is horrible? Usually it's a good thing to surround a top scoring pivot with a PG that can nail open jumpers and actually get him the ball.

I have no clue where you are getting this misconception that Nash can't play halfcourt basketball. Do you actually watch the Suns and note how they score when they aren't getting points in transition? It usually revolves around Nash's decision making and shooting...two things he excels at. He played halfcourt basketball for every season in Dallas (6 years) and last year in Phoenix (and Phoenix probably would have made the postseason if Amare didn't get hurt). Not to mention, Shaq had his best season in the past 3 years with Nash.

:wow

What team were you watching?

CubanMustGo
05-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Nash will be 36 next year, Kidd will be 37. These guys won't be playing at an elite level (offensively) much longer. Multi-year deals = tying up salary caps for maybe a year of solid play from either.

kingmalaki
05-19-2009, 10:41 AM
:wow

What team were you watching?

I live in TX and I watched the Mavs. There is a difference between playing small ball (which they did, a lot in halfcourt sets) and running and gunning all game long. Dirk (their main offensive player), Hubert Davis, Laettner, Juwon Howard, Buckner, Najera, Van Exel (at that time)...these are all not run-n-gun players. Not to mention, their center was Shawn freaking Bradley. Was he running??

Of course Nash was not giving you MVP type production then, but he was still a good decision maker that could shoot the hell out of the ball. He does just fine in half court sets, as his numbers in Dallas and last season showed...as well as Shaq's resurgence. I can't believe some are arguing that a slow guard who is great at passing, taking care of the ball and one of the leagues best shooters from everywhere on the court would struggle to play half-court basketball....when the majority of his shots will be wide open (assuming Yao is on the court and not in a walking boot).

But again....I don't see how we can land him so it's all moot anyway.

kingmalaki
05-19-2009, 10:45 AM
Nash will be 36 next year, Kidd will be 37. These guys won't be playing at an elite level (offensively) much longer. Multi-year deals = tying up salary caps for maybe a year of solid play from either.

Nash is a free agent after this season, so if it doesn't work we could let him walk. I don't expect him to be at an elite level for much longer, but I also don't expect any of our PG's to surpass him in the next two years. If you can snag him without giving up too, too much then I say you go for it. The Celtics gave up Jefferson and picks...the Heat have up Odom, Butler and a pick...and none of them are complaining. Chances to win don't come around that often.

manufan10
05-19-2009, 10:48 AM
I agree. Look at the success the Rockets had with Aaron Brooks running point for half the season. If Nash was on this Rockets team, it would be one hell of a team. Nash WOULD make Yao better. He would get him the ball where he is most comfortable getting it. He would be able to get Yao good looks. Nash can lob it in there for Yao to dunk it. Nash's scoring will also help out the Rockets and Yao Ming. Nash doesn't need a certain amount of touches to score the ball like T-Mac. If this were to happen, the Rockets would have a great chance at a title. Like kingmalaki said, it all depends on if Yao is on the court or in a walking boot.

Extra Stout
05-19-2009, 11:18 AM

True. I mean, if there were some difficulty with Nash having to run more of a halfcourt offense in order to mesh with Shaq, we would have seen something like his numbers going down, or the Suns dropping from the ranks of the elite even before key players started getting injured.

Or, if Shaq were not kosher with an up-and-down running game, we'd know if, say, hypothetically, if the Suns were to panic midseason after the halfcourt experiment failed, fire their coach, and start running up and down the floor again, Shaq were to start complaining about it and muse about being traded.

But since neither of those things happened and the Suns turned in their usual strong 59-win season, that proves you are correct.