PDA

View Full Version : Cro Cop back in the UFC

Evan
05-18-2009, 05:55 PM
PRESS RELEASE: Cro Cop Back In UFC

These days the boys from Cro Cop team are training in full force. After a long break and highly demanding recovery process, Mirko Cro Cop is ready to fight in MMA again.

All problems with injuries are history and Cro Cop is very optimistic to start another chapter in his career:
„I feel great, the recovery process is going well and we train at high intensity now. I never had such a strong desire to prove myself and I'll climb up again, or die trying.“

Mirko's next fight is set for June 13th in Germany, which means that he's back in the UFC, a place that he didn't have his best moments:
„I decided to fight in the UFC again, because of the stronger competition in the heavyweight division. My next opponent will be Mustapha Al-Turk. I didn't do well in my first three appearances - I wasn't myself. By returning to the cage I want to prove that I can still fight at highest level, no matter when or where.“, claims Cro Cop.

UFC 99 will be Cro Cop's first fight this year with the possibility of three fights coming by years end.
„It's hard to talk about concrete plans, but I would really like to fight at least three times this year. I wish to fight against quality opponents and to fight my way up to a title shot but for now, I'll focus only on my next fight and after that we'll see what's going to be on the menu next“, says Cro Cop.
Although the UFC 99 card looks stacked, it seems that the UFC officials can see the benefits of hiring a top European fighter for their first ever UFC show in Germany.

„I want to say thank you Mr. Dana White for your interest and for an invitation back to the UFC. I owe you a lot from our first deal, and I'll make it up to you.“, promises Cro Cop.

All news related to Mirko Cro Cop's career are posted on Mirko's official MMA-ID profile on http://www.mma-id.com/CROCOP and Mirko's official homepage http://www.mirko-crocop.com.

Yours truly,
The CROCOP Team

Evan
05-18-2009, 06:05 PM
As a huge CC fan....

I really hope this time around he does something. He has had time to heal up so we'll see. I have a hard time believing he is doing this for money so he must feel physically and mentally fit .

I would love to see him at least contend for the belt. He's only 35 but he has a lot of miles on him.

oligarchy
05-18-2009, 07:22 PM
He'll win his first, then drop 2 in a row and go quietly into the night.

desflood
05-18-2009, 09:22 PM
I've got my fingers crossed.

Evan
05-18-2009, 10:06 PM
I've got my fingers crossed.

sorry I'm pretty emotional about this topic, I didn't mean to squeeze your hand so hard.

tlongII
05-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Where's Mr. Dio?

dbreiden83080
05-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Amazing News, i love it, he is going to do well this time around. The haters can suck it...

dbreiden83080
05-19-2009, 01:10 AM
He'll win his first, then drop 2 in a row and go quietly into the night.

As an MMA fan you should be hoping he comes back and dominates..

The TroutBum
05-19-2009, 01:25 AM
CC was one of my first favorites in MMA. I hadn't really watched any before, and FSN started showing PRIDE fights late at night. He quickly became my hero. This is great news, I hope he dominates.

dbreiden83080
05-19-2009, 01:32 AM
This is great news, I hope he dominates.

Now this is an MMA Fan!! :toast

dbreiden83080
05-19-2009, 01:38 AM
http://www.pridefc.com/pride2005/images/fighter/65_l.jpg

desflood
05-19-2009, 09:40 AM
sorry I'm pretty emotional about this topic, I didn't mean to squeeze your hand so hard.
'S okay, I understand the need for moral support. I'm rooting for the guy pretty hard myself.

polandprzem
05-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Well Mustafa is a tough opponent

Mirko will have some problems with him. CC has good takedown D but Al-Turk is a strong guy, and n the ground Mirko will fail miserably.

I do not think he is able to come back to being top3 fighter he was back in a pride times.

LEONARD
05-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Good :fro

polandprzem
05-20-2009, 06:12 AM
http://www.mma-id.com/CROCOP/?mod=vvid

polandprzem
05-20-2009, 09:39 AM
btw. Velasquez vs Kongo will be something

jag
05-24-2009, 03:01 PM
As a true fan of CC, i want to see him retire. He's not the same force he used to be and the game has changed significantly...it's time to hang 'em up.

Evan
05-24-2009, 04:00 PM
shush you

BWS-1994
05-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Saw a lot of CC during his days at Pride. Good times. :tu

angelbelow
06-02-2009, 02:46 PM
my bad for starting another one =/

Evan
06-02-2009, 04:54 PM
my bad for starting another one =/

no worries!

cool cat
06-05-2009, 12:13 PM
I hope he does well and have some epic fights that end with head kicks.

But i'm not holding my breath after his last few fights in the UFC.

angelbelow
06-05-2009, 01:57 PM
hopefully he is injury and distraction free. al turk should be a confidence booster imo, crocop should win this one no problem.

cool cat
06-14-2009, 03:18 PM
And now he is gone again

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-ufcnotes061409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Notebook: Cro Cop leaves UFC
By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
Jun 13, 8:14 pm EDT

COLOGNE, Germany – Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic’s return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship was a short one.

Not long after stopping Mostapha Al-Turk in the first round of UFC 99 on Saturday at Lanxess Arena in his first fight in the UFC since back-to-back losses in 2007, Filipovic informed UFC president Dana White that he had signed a three-fight contract with the Japan-based DREAM.

White had signed Filipovic less than a month ago to a one-fight deal, the first time in more than nine years that he’d done that. He had worked out terms on two additional fights, but said he’d only put pen to paper for Saturday’s bout.

He brought Filipovic back because he knew the Croat is still very popular and Filipovic insisted he wanted to make a run for the title.

ADVERTISEMENT

That proved not to be the truth. After turning down much tougher opposition, including Cain Velasquez, who defeated Cheick Kongo later on the card, he wound up with the lightly regarded Al-Turk.

But instead of getting a shot at big names like Randy Couture or Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and fighting his way into title contention, Filipovic opted to bolt for Japan.

“Isn’t that a dirty [expletive] thing to do?” White asked rhetorically after being queried about Filipovic’s deal with DREAM. “He [expletived] me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal and he [expletived] me.”

Filipovic looked unsteady and hardly impressive in defeating Al-Turk, who is winless in the UFC. He never landed one of his vaunted kicks and the fight ended not from a punch but when he poked Al-Turk in the eye with his finger.

Referee Dan Miragliotta didn’t see the poke, so it was regarded as a clean blow and Filipovic won by stoppage.

Filipovic was fighting five months to the day after knee surgery, one of several injuries he said kept him from performing at his best in his first stint in the UFC. Before the fight, he called his 1-2 UFC record “the black spot” on his career.

While speaking with reporters on a prefight conference call, Filipovic enthused about his return and said he was gunning for a title shot. All the while, he apparently knew he was in it for a one-fight deal.

He texted White on White’s cellular phone and told him he wanted to return. White said Filipovic declined numerous opponents.

Apparently, Filipovic, who is from Croatia, wanted to fight in Germany and use the UFC bout as a tuneup. He did and is now Dream bound, but he’ll almost certainly never fight in the UFC again.

“He didn’t keep his word,” White said, who said he’d had a two-hour talk with Filipovic on the day Filipovic texted and asked to be able to return. “He talked about honor and all this other [expletive] and he [expletived] me.

“He fed me this bull [expletive] about wanting to take a run for the title, and what I think he did was, he went out and did this. He turned down every other [expletive] fighter I offered him, because I needed him to fight Cain. He didn’t just poke Al-Turk; he poked me, too.”

As is his custom, Filipovic skipped the postfight news conference and could not be reached to comment on the DREAM deal.

Evan
06-14-2009, 03:42 PM
President of UFC's Dana White was unfairly accused Mirko Filipovic for treason

ZAGREB - The same Saturday night in which Mirko Filipovi? for only three minutes nokautirao Britain Mostapha Al Turk, President of American Organization UFC Dana White neargumentirano has accused the Croatian master free fight for the fraud and hypocrisy.

Cro Cop izigrao UFC and goes in a Dream?

Ten days ago Dana White and Cro Cop have a phone made arrangements for the duel on the UFC 99 tournament in kölnskoj Lanxess Arena, leaving open the possibility that cooperation produlji the two tournaments. However, the head of the UFC on Saturday felt circumvented because it is thought that the Croatian gladiator signed a contract with the Japanese Dream.

- Mirko talks about honor and pride, and not held by his word. Told me that he wants to win the UFC's title, only to then went to the Dream. And tonight I got a fly in the ointment, not only Al Turk - told reporters in the White Cologne.

Before you accuse Filipovi?a for hypocrisy, zagreb Whiteovih below empty phrase of honor. UFC leader is angry because Mirko, just as even the best ultimate fighter world; Fyodor Jemjeljanjenko, did not agree to commit two more appearances in the following year.

However, it is not true or that Cro Cop priklonio Dream. Learned that it is not signed, nor for whom, and that it is ready to discuss any offer. Moreover, Mirko is immediately after the victory kölnske expected conversation with Whiteom and surprised the charges UFC's president.

- I'm not clear why the White nasjeo on rumors instead of talking with me. I was hoping that we will talk about the continuation of cooperation, because the only contentious item for a long period between performances. I do not want to sit for months at home and wait for that someone called me to fight. However, I am grateful for the opportunity Whiteu in Cologne and in spite of his heavy words, I do not see reason to not produljimo agreement - explained Mirko after returning from Germany.

White is Cro Copa invited to fight in Cologne in order to use his charisma most popular European fighter, and had proposed two more match, with the condition that should not be fighting under other flags. " Since the Dream also offers three fights, but in only six months, do you wonder what is Mirko still considering both offers?

Outcome of this story can be expected in the coming days. Given the loss of Whiteov in Cologne, it seems that Mirko zasad ring closer to the Japanese than American octagon.

Evan
06-14-2009, 03:43 PM
^ who knows

LEONARD
06-14-2009, 05:33 PM
What a letdown

BlackSwordsMan
06-14-2009, 05:48 PM
when afflicition goes bankrupt, fedor will sign with DREAM and re-match crocop
yay

Evan
06-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Cro Cop clears things up

Tuesday, 16 June 2009 16:09 Dr. Mitch
conducted an interview index.hr with regarding the whole situation he has been put into. This is a great interview that should clear some things up between Cro Cop and his fans.

I have nothing to hide or to be ashamed of. The thing is very simple. I know the truth and Dana knows the truth – I had a one fight deal with UFC and I fulfilled my contractual obligation. I said we're gonna sit down and talk after UFC 99.

SO WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM?

The problem is I'm 35 and I'm finally healthy. UFC is offering me a fight 6 months from now. Even before UFC 99 I said that won't work for me, but they said something like they're gonna change it. I said even before that I wanna fight 3 more times this year, I don't really care if it's ring or octogon.

JAPANESE HAVE BETTER OFFER?

I'm a big star in Japan and I can be on every card I want there. I have a lot of fans there who want me to return. They offer me way more fights and more often, and ther is always a possibility that a fight with Fedor could occur – that is my priority.

WHAT ABOUT „I DON?T KNOW IF I'LL WIN THE UFC BELT BUT I'LL DIE TRYING“?

I still stand behind my words and I know the best fighters are i UFC. I wan't that belt so much, but if they're offering me the next fight in 6 months I don't see how i could take it. I said that when i thougt things will go in another direction. That belt is still my goal – bit I want to have a couple of fights in a next few months.

DID YOU SIGN WITH ANY ORG? DANA LOST HIS TEMPER AND SAID YOU TRICKED HIM

The thing was blown out of proportions. All of this, besides being a sport is a big business too. They know in the UFC i did my part of the deal so I don't think we'll have any problems. I haven't signet nothing yet with any org, and as I said – I'm prepared to talk with both sides. I've never been in a sweeter yet more difficult position. Dream offers me more fights, but at the other hand I'm aware of the quality that is in UFC.

AND WHAT NOW?

I really don't know. I have to consider it and see. I don't see why I wouldn't fight in Japan a few fights and then return to UFC. That is also an option. What matters is that i feel great phisically. I can almost say never felt better.

HOW DID IT FEEL TO FIGHT IN KOELN?

Magnificent. Really great. Checkerd items all around, Croatian flags, everybody cheering. I almost felt bad for my opponent at one time cause thy were booing him. I would like to fight again in that kind of atmosphere. I've felt like home. That is the stuff that keeps me in training, adrenaline is undescribable. I wouldn't change that for nothing.

ARE YOU HAPPY WITH YOUR PERFORMANCE, IF WE DON'T TAKE IN CONSIDERATION THAT YOU'RE NOT READY 100% YET?

I'm very pleased all things considering. You saw I didn't throw one kick, and that is my biggest weapon- I knew that before the fight and i focused only on my wrestling and boxing. My leg is ok, but I'm still afraid of rotatons, In a few months it will be ok completely. I'm at 50% now.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF AL TURK? IS HE A POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE SURPRISE?

He had a positive impact on me. He started very strong, with wide crosses, trying to get to my chin. Then he tried to shoot for my legs, but I shruged him off easily. He didn't have to do that thing with the eye though.

Evan
DIDN'T YOU HIT HIM WITH YOUR FINGER IN HIS EYE?

I did. But it was not a strong hit. I literally brushed him. It was more of pushing him away and he just ran in to it. I looked at the judge and he said to keep going. I'm here to fight, right? But there is not a chance that played an important role. He was nearly finished from my strikes before that.

DID YOU THINK ABOUT YOUR PREVIOUS FIGHTS IN UFC? WOULD YOU DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT TODAY? DID THAT KO FROM GONZAGA PASSED TROUGH YOU HEAD?

I didn't think about it and I don't regret anything. I entered the cage then motivated by money, not my desire to win. Today is a different story. Besides, I improved a lot. Especially in my wrestling tehniques, my cardio and strenght. And about that KO – it's not a shame to go down, it's a shame not to get up.

YOU SAY YOU IMPROVED YOUR WRESTLING – WHY DON'T YOU FIGHT MORE IN THE GROUND?

Primarilly I'm a striker. But as I said, I worked at my ground game and my throws a lot. Without any false modesty I can say I'm now very good at it. You saw how i tossed Al-Turk twice when he tried to take me down. I'm gonna use that skills a lot more in the future.

NO MATTER WHERE DO YOU FIGHT – WHO ARE THE FIGHTERS YOU WAN'T TO FIGHT?

Fedor is my eternal wish, my biggest challange. In UFC I would like to get a chane of a rematch with Nog, and I would like to fight Randy cause he's a legend. But if you wan't the belt you have to fight the best so i don't really care. This Valesquez guy has much pespective as a fighter.

YOU SAID FEDOR IS YOUR WISH. YOU THINK THINGS WOULD BE ANY DIFFERENT NOW?

I think they would. I have exact tactics in my head and I think I would win this time. Before the first fight I had a lot of problems. I was excelently prepared but I got there too soon and I haven't slept for 7 days. I was pulling my mouthpiece out after 3 minutes allready. Today is a different story.

YOU ARE MORE READY TODAY?

Much more. All test show I have a body of a 25 year old man. My cardio is of the charts, I have 233 lbs of muscle and I've never been stronger.

YOU ARE 35 AND GOING TOWARDS THE END OF YOUR CAREER – WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE YOUNG GUYS – ZELG AND RELJI??

I think they are good. I don't know goran too good, but Zelg is a good fighter. I think he neglected his ground game and he should work on it to be a more complete fighter.

WHAT ABOUT IGOR PROKRAJAC SIGNING WITH STRIKEFORCE?

„I don't know the details, so i can't say nothing for sure, but he definately deserved a chance. I will do everything I can to help him and he has to take advantage of a chance if he gets it.

Evan
translated from the UG

typical Cro Cop chaos and talking out of both sides of his mouth.

dbreiden83080
06-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Dana already had one of his trademark hissy fits, i doubt Mirko is coming back..

Evan
06-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Mirko is officially a douche bag

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (25-6-2) has agreed to fight Siala "Mighty Mo" Siliga (3-1-0) on July 20 in Saitama, Japan, a source familiar with negotiations for Dream 10 told SI.com Wednesday.

DREAM.10
- Shinya Aoki (20-4) vs. Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro (20-2)
- Melvin Manhoef (23-5-1) vs. Paulo Filho (16-1)
- Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (25-6-2) vs. Siala "Mighty Mo" Siliga (3-1-0)
- Andre "Dida" Amade (6-3-1) vs. Katsunori Kikuno (11-1-1)

Dream Welterweight Grand Prix Semi-Finals:
- Hayato "Mach" Sakurai (35-8-2) vs. Marius Zaromskis (9-2)
- Andre Galvao (3-0) vs. Jason High (7-1)

desflood
06-19-2009, 08:06 AM
It hurts, doesn't it?

dbreiden83080
06-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Mirko is officially a douche bag

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (25-6-2) has agreed to fight Siala "Mighty Mo" Siliga (3-1-0) on July 20 in Saitama, Japan, a source familiar with negotiations for Dream 10 told SI.com Wednesday.

DREAM.10
- Shinya Aoki (20-4) vs. Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro (20-2)
- Melvin Manhoef (23-5-1) vs. Paulo Filho (16-1)
- Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (25-6-2) vs. Siala "Mighty Mo" Siliga (3-1-0)
- Andre "Dida" Amade (6-3-1) vs. Katsunori Kikuno (11-1-1)

Dream Welterweight Grand Prix Semi-Finals:
- Hayato "Mach" Sakurai (35-8-2) vs. Marius Zaromskis (9-2)
- Andre Galvao (3-0) vs. Jason High (7-1)

While i agree what he did was arong, i can't take Dana's side on this. This is the same guy that basically temporarily threw Fitch out of the UFC because he wouldn't sign away his likeness no questions asked.. So he got paid back a little by a fighter for once.

Evan
06-19-2009, 11:47 AM
It has nothing to do with taking a side....

Cro Cop did something shitty. Thats what it is about. What happened with Fitch and Dana has nothing to do with this.

dbreiden83080
06-19-2009, 12:54 PM
It has nothing to do with taking a side....

Cro Cop did something shitty. Thats what it is about. What happened with Fitch and Dana has nothing to do with this.

I'm adding my own commentary to the matter. I didn't say it had to do with it directly.. People are talking about Dana's reaction. Hearing Dana cry about "He fucked me" has me laughing, he fucks fighters left and right and will continue to do so for as long as he can get away with it.. What Cro Cop did is a little shady but did he violate a written deal with the UFC? No he had a one fight deal, fought that fight and went elsewhere. It's not that big a deal when you think about it, just a little shady because he broke his word..

dbreiden83080
06-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Put it like this, if Mirko had lost that fight, he'd have been told "Forget about the other 2 fights discussed" So it goes both ways..

stretch
06-19-2009, 02:13 PM
balls

LEONARD
07-04-2009, 03:22 PM
http://www.fightlinker.com/did-lorenzo-fertitta-just-sign-mirko-crocop.mma

Exclusive UFC owner visiting Cro Cop in Croatia

Index understands that Lorenzo Fertitta, the head honcho and part owner of the UFC flew to Zagreb with his own private jet earlier this morning. He was driven to Mirko’s residents shortly after, where he stayed for two hours talking with the Croatian fighter. He returned to the airport afterwards, smiling, where his private jet flew off in to an unknown destination.

Filipovic receives an offer he cant refuse

There is no doubt that Fertitta came to Zagreb to persuade the Croatian fighter to change his mind and to sign with the worlds strongest fight sport organization. We understand that Cro Cop has been offered an incredible deal that should see him fight with the UFC once again. Although Filipovic was unavailable for comment, its clear that this is a major development in the ongoing negotiations. We will almost certainly, see CroCop in the world’s strongest organization once again despite the Cro Cop close ties with Dream.

:ihit

Evan
07-04-2009, 04:25 PM
cro cop management = nutty

BlackSwordsMan
07-04-2009, 04:45 PM
why does UFC want cro cop back so bad?

BlackSwordsMan
07-04-2009, 04:46 PM
future fedor signing? fedor vs cro cop 2? ;O

dbreiden83080
07-04-2009, 06:19 PM

I don't get it much myself. HE did not look great in that fight he had recently and was terrible in his other UFC fights. But the UFC is going global and i guess they see him as a big ticket seller outside the US..

Evan
07-04-2009, 07:25 PM

foreign cards....mainly Japan.

Cro Cop is the most confusing fighter to follow of all time

BlackSwordsMan
07-05-2009, 12:35 AM
if they want to woo japan sign bob the can sapp

LEONARD
07-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Evan's hero coming to Dallas???

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15450/yes-junior-dos-santos-is-set-to-fight-mirko-cro-cop-filipovoc-at-ufc-103.mma

Just think Evan...you finally saw him fight live and now maybe you can see him in person... :ihit

Evan
07-09-2009, 11:59 AM
whelp...I'm going now for sure

Evan
07-09-2009, 12:04 PM
I am about to cry like a women I am so happy right now

djohn14
07-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Dos Santos by KO round 1!

cornbread
07-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Das Santos is a bad mofo but I could see CroCop winning this one.

dallaskd
07-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Evan's hero coming to Dallas???

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15450/yes-junior-dos-santos-is-set-to-fight-mirko-cro-cop-filipovoc-at-ufc-103.mma

Just think Evan...you finally saw him fight live and now maybe you can see him in person... :ihit

yo leonard, when do tickets go on sale for UFC 103?

LEONARD
07-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Not a clue...maybe around the end of July?

oligarchy
07-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Dallas, eh?