PDA

View Full Version : What to hope for in the Draft Lottery

mosdef17
05-19-2009, 06:39 AM
It might be a common misconception that the results of the 2009 NBA Draft Lottery has no real bearing over the San Antonio Spurs because they are not in it. I will be watching the Lottery very closely and hoping certain teams come away winners because certain teams gaining top pick may benefit the Spurs trade options. The following teams success would benefit the Spurs;

Milwaukee Bucks (10 out of 1000 chance): If the Bucks get a top 3 pick, it would make the Bucks management want to cut their salaries even more then they currently do. Thus, Richard Jefferson may be available.

Washington Wizards (178 out of 1000 chance): The Wizards gaining a top pick would further entice a salary cutting offseason. If they can get the first or second pick (assuming they are Blake Griffin and Ricky Rubio respectively), one of those guys, especially Blake, would mean that either one of Antawn Jamison or Caron Butler will most likely become available. I’m hoping the player made available will be Caron Butler as he would be the perfect addition, and he has a very modest salary.

These two teams gaining a top 2-3 pick could be good news for the Spurs and greatly broaden their possible trade targets this offseason with the partially guaranteed contracts we poses. I'm sure there are other scenarios that other people may think of but those are the two obvious ones.

:flag:

Bruno
05-19-2009, 07:17 AM
The lottery could have consequences on trade options.

Now, the result of the lottery will be known in 12 hours. The lazy part of me is saying to me: "draw the conclusion tonight after the lottery, instead of thinking at all the possible scenarios." :)

Stump
05-19-2009, 07:28 AM
If the Clippers get Blake Griffin, it could make Kaman or Camby available. Otherwise I'd just root for eastern teams to get the top picks.

Chieflion
05-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Yep. Thats why I hope for some of the teams to win the lottery.

TheProfessor
05-19-2009, 08:43 AM
The lottery could have consequences on trade options.

Now, the result of the lottery will be known in 12 hours. The lazy part of me is saying to me: "draw the conclusion tonight after the lottery, instead of thinking at all the possible scenarios." :)
Aw, what's the fun in not speculating wildly?

yavozerb
05-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Is the order of the 2nd round also determined by lottery? (just wondering cause I've never been so interested in this round)

SenorSpur
05-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Personally, I'm hoping OKC gets the first overall pick.

JamStone
05-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Is the order of the 2nd round also determined by lottery? (just wondering cause I've never been so interested in this round)

No, the entire second round is based on record.

JamStone
05-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Personally, I'm hoping OKC gets the first overall pick.

Would be another nice (but rigged) NBA draft story of the kid getting to stay close to his college home. But, that would also mean likely 12-15 years of Kevin Durant/Blake Griffin in the Southwest Division. You sure you want that?

edit: I'm dumb... for some reason I was thinking OKC was in the SW division. Damn Seattle Supersonics!

SenorSpur
05-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Would be another nice (but rigged) NBA draft story of the kid getting to stay close to his college home. But, that would also mean likely 12-15 years of Kevin Durant/Blake Griffin in the Southwest Division. You sure you want that?

edit: I'm dumb... for some reason I was thinking OKC was in the SW division. Damn Seattle Supersonics!

That's not such a far-fetched notion, as I fully expect the owners to realign the divisions in the next couple of seasons.If it does happen, I'm certain OKC will be in the SW Division.

DPG21920
05-19-2009, 06:53 PM
If the Clippers get Blake Griffin, it could make Kaman or Camby available. Otherwise I'd just root for eastern teams to get the top picks.

This is what I was thinking as well.

SenorSpur
05-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah soon enough there will be some changes. I expect New Orleans to be out and OKC to be in.

With that incompetent owner, George Shinn leading the way, the Hornets may wind up in Seattle someday themselves.

But seriously, who is going to want to be in OKC? There is nothing there! I doubt free agents will sign and I can see players taking less money for a bigger market. It will be interesting, they seem to be in a worse spot then us in terms of marketing.

Free agents may not want to go there, but as long as their in the Draft Lottery, prospective rooks don't really have a choice. The big question is whether they will be able to retain the talent they are stocking.

DPG21920
05-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Clips FTW.

05-19-2009, 07:59 PM
clippers really need to start drafting good players.

montgod
05-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Unbelieveable. I do feel sorry for Griffin. However, it may not be a given that he goes to the Clips especially knowing the history of their decisions.

Looking at Baron Davis, I read a rumor somewhere that they might trade him back to GS which would open the door up for them to either trade down or draft Rubio outright.

Of course, the other more viable option is that the Clips trade 2 out of 3 bigs (Zach, Camby, Kaman) and select the obvious choice of Griffin. Watch out... we will definitely be seeing some more Gasol-like trades coming up this summer. Hopefully the Spurs will be able to take advantage of someone.

05-19-2009, 08:29 PM
clippers really needed this. i'm not that high on griffin though. seems like beasley, good offensive skillset but no commitment on the defensive end.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-19-2009, 08:38 PM
The Spurs almost swung a trade for Camby at the deadline this year. I'm sure they'll be talking with the Clips again now they won the Griffin sweepstakes.

SanAntonioSpurs23
05-19-2009, 08:41 PM
The Spurs almost swung a trade for Camby at the deadline this year. I'm sure they'll be talking with the Clips again now they won the Griffin sweepstakes.

I wouldn't want to give up much for him because I'm not sure who I would rather have him or Sheed. Although if the Spurs can get Camby for a decent package the Spurs could use the MLE on a wing.

DPG21920
05-19-2009, 08:46 PM
I would much rather have Camby than Sheed. But this all hinges on whether or not the Clips draft Blake.

jjktkk
05-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Thats pretty much what I meant. No one will really want to sign with OKC unless the money is just too good, and after 4 or 5 years a player might just want to leave. The thunder are lucky they have the RFA thing going for them, otherwise they might have lost all their players in about 6 years.

Winning will cure anything about where free agents choose to play. IMO OKC's future is bright and the city really support their team. If they keep im proving top tier free agents will want to come to OKC.

TheChillFactor
05-19-2009, 09:22 PM
nfw beasley is better than blake griffin. griffin is a true pf and is more athletic.

just my opinion.

spursbird
05-19-2009, 09:24 PM
And after the trade, JV will be our backup PG again?:bang

DPG21920
05-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Magic and the gang just echoed what most thought here. The Clips will take Blake and look to move Camby or Kaman or Randolph.

urunobili
05-19-2009, 09:50 PM
This increases our chances of getting either Camby or Kaman that I'd take over Sheed at any time...

Knoxxx
05-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Perhaps we can unload any combination of the 2: Thomas/Oberto/Bonner/Finley/Bowen for Camby. That definitely makes us better no matter what. The only thing I am having trouble seeing is why the Clips would want any of the guys we can offer. Also not sure we can trade Finley if he opts in, he remains a wild card in our offseason situation.

Thompson
05-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Perhaps we can unload any combination of the 2: Thomas/Oberto/Bonner/Finley/Bowen for Camby. That definitely makes us better no matter what. The only thing I am having trouble seeing is why the Clips would want any of the guys we can offer. Also not sure we can trade Finley if he opts in, he remains a wild card in our offseason situation.

They might do it to clear up cap space/ save money. Their owner is notoriously cheap.

Bruno
05-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Clippers will have Randolph, Kaman, Camby and Griffin. Even if they take the safe route with Griffin, they will have an overcrowded frontcourt (even more when you consider DeAndre Jordan who has had a decent rookie year).
Trading Randolph would make a lot of sense for them but are they high enough on Griffin to trade away a 20/10 player and what kind of trades will they will be able to make with Randolph's big contract ?
If they keep Randolph, Kaman or Camby should be traded. Both are interesting options for Spurs.

Providing Rubio stays in and solves his buyout troubles, he should be drafted by Grizzlies at #2. Conley hasn't shown enough things for Grizzlies to pass on Rubio. No consequences for Spurs.

Thunder will have tons of options at #3. They can pick a guard and pair him with Westbrook or go with a big and pair him with Jeff Green.
If thunder draft a big, Collison or Krstic could be available but it's far from sure. Thabeet and Hill are raw and they will likely need some time before turning into good NBA bigmen. Keeping solid players like Krstic and Collison makes sense for Thunder.