View Full Version : 2009 Draft Prospect: Jon Brockman

Bruno
05-19-2009, 11:04 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/03/11/2004275992.jpg
Height: 6-7
Weight: 260 lbs
Birthday: 03/20/1987
College: Washington

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jon-Brockman-1168/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jon-brockman)

lurker23
06-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Bump. I saw Jon Brockman play a good amount in college. He may be undersized for an NBA big man, but he's a hard worker, tough defender, and a skilled rebounder. Mock drafts have him going in the second round, so he will likely be around if the Spurs want to use one of their picks on him.

From Draft Express:

Only measuring in at 6-7 without shoes, with a very underwhelming 6-7 ¾ wingspan, Brockman is clearly undersized for the power forward position, and he doesn’t make up for it with elite athleticism. His 252-pound frame is his biggest asset from a purely physical perspective. Built like a tank, the former Husky loves to throw his weight around on the block, playing with great toughness and a high motor.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jon-Brockman-1168/

And here's a good article from the Seattle Times with a couple excerpts:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskies/2009380306_brockman25.html

There was never any mystery about Jon Brockman during his four years at Washington.

Fans, coaches and teammates always knew exactly what they were going to get from the 6-foot-7 power forward, who graduated as the leading career rebounder and second-leading scorer in school history.

But as the NBA draft gets ready to begin Thursday, there's enough mystery surrounding Brockman to fill an Agatha Christie novel.

Why did he skip the NBA Combine? Why didn't he attend any individual workouts? Why won't he or anyone close to him talk about any of it?

...Thoughout his career he was one of the most gracious and willing interview subjects around and won the Chip Hilton Award this year for leadership, character and talent, but he has been unavailable to media for weeks....

....But shortly after the season ended, he attended the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament, the one pre-draft camp he participated in, and impressed scouts by averaging 15.3 points and 16.3 rebounds.

"He just rebounded like crazy and was diving on the floor, just playing with that maniacal approach like he always does," said Romar, who attended the tournament. "The pro people were doing an over-under on how many rebounds he was going to get each night."...

Shortly after that tournament Brockman went into hiding. He skipped the combine in late May, leading some to conclude that a team made a deal with him based in part on how he performed at Portsmouth.

Some rumors mention San Antonio as the team, and others have suggested Portland and Detroit as possible destinations. Each team has three second-round picks. Brockman is using the same company for representation as former Husky Brandon Roy, now a star for the Blazers.

But one mock draft this week also had him going to Memphis early in the second round with the 36th overall pick.

Whatever the case, the mystery figures to finally end Thursday night.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Malik Rose II?

benefactor
06-24-2009, 07:53 PM
He will have to work on being less foul prone, but if he can become smarter in that area then he could be the next Mad Dog. I wouldn't be completely against taking him with one of the 50's picks if there is not much left that is appealing.

Bruno
06-25-2009, 03:12 AM
An update from the guy that writes the article posted by lurker23 :

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskymensbasketballblog/2009381657_wednesday_night_2.html

But one thing I heard is that Portland is likely not the team that is selecting Brockman, with strong rumblings instead that it could be San Antonio where he is headed. The Spurs created some roster room earlier this week with a couple of trades that netted them Richard Jefferson in return.

bigdog
06-25-2009, 03:46 AM
Please, no.

timvp
06-25-2009, 06:22 AM
I kinda like him. Tough as nails, built like a bull and goes after rebounds relentlessly. Short as hell for a center but in the second round, he's worth a gamble.

benefactor
06-25-2009, 09:16 AM
He pulled down 21 boards in 30 minutes during a game at Portsmouth....:wow

kbrury
06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
No.

Package a deal to move up in the 1st and get Blair.

Hes like a super-charged version of Brockman.

ehh I think id rather go for someone else in the first if we moved up I wouldn't feel comfortable having a 6 foot 5 big in the center. Brockman would be ok if its with one of the last two picks and be a hustle player.

loveforthegame
06-25-2009, 11:55 AM
It would be nice to take a gamble on someone who is a bit taller though you can't question his toughness and desire to rebound.

I wouldn't be terribly upset if they gamble on him though.

bigdog
06-25-2009, 11:57 AM
If he was a bit taller, I'd be all for him, but I don't see how a Center that is the size of a SF is going to help.

timvp
06-25-2009, 12:02 PM
The biggest negative, even more so than his lack of height, is that he literally doesn't block shots. He makes Oberto look like Mutombo.

That said, every team needs a hustle/energy big on their roster. It wouldn't be a great pick but Brockman has a chance to make it ... which is all you can ask in the second round.

kbrury
06-25-2009, 12:02 PM
his bulk would help him a little, its hard to keep a 260 guy out of the paint. Brockman like blair who btw is the size of a shooting guard both lay it all out to get rebounds. I just hope the spurs are not the ones who promised him in the 2nd round with our 37th pick.

lurker23
06-25-2009, 12:15 PM
If he's still available in the 50s, I think I definitely take him. He's got a great work ethic, great character guy, who can legitimately play. I wouldn't worry a huge amount about his size or his shot blocking abilities. Obviously for every undersized-NBA player success story there's 100 failures, but two guys who come to mind who are a similar size and don't block shots are Malik Rose and Glen Davis (albeit, Davis is heavier).

lurker23
06-25-2009, 12:41 PM
As a corollary to what I just said, I'm not sure that I approve of picking him at 37. That's a pretty valuable pick with presumably some pretty intriguing prospects left. Brockman has talent, but I'm not sure that he has that much upside.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Malik wasn't a shotblocker and was the same height. Seems like a good pick at 37. Hopefully the Spurs, if they move into the first round, can do so without giving up 37, as they can probably find a good prospect who has fallen because he doesn't fit the prototypical physical mold for that position. That's one of the parts of NBA conventional wisdom which should benefit the Spurs in the draft.

EricB
06-25-2009, 12:50 PM
I think I remember this guy from the tournament.

Went up for a rebound got it, and came down right on his back hard as hell but bounced right back up.

Came down on the other end and got an and1 :lol

Crowd went nuts.

Blackjack
06-25-2009, 01:09 PM
He's one of the guy's I've had on my radar and wouldn't be suprised at the Spurs landing. (Not sure how you exactly land a tank, though.:hat)

He'd be an almost Chuck Hayes/Malik Rose-type to have on the bench, which isn't all that bad of a prospect.:tu

Jace
06-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Tiny wingspan