PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Draft Prospect: DeMarre Carroll

Bruno
05-19-2009, 12:05 PM
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/media/multimedia/2009/01/08/media/DeMarre_Carroll_01_t_w300_h600.jpg
Height: 6-8
Weight: 225 lbs
Birthday: 07/27/1986
College: Missouri

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DeMarre-Carroll-5069/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/demarre-carroll)

Bruno
06-07-2009, 01:32 PM
http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2009/jun/07/carroll-making-his-draft-charge/

Carroll making his draft charge
Former Tiger now could go in first.

By Steve Walentik
Sunday, June 7, 2009

DeMarre Carroll has crisscrossed the country since leaving Columbia in late April, traveling to Portland and Miami with at least a half-dozen stops in between.

He’s played in front of NBA officials such as Miami Heat President Pat Riley and Indiana Pacers Coach Jim O’Brien and worked out alongside current pros such as Danny Granger, Nick Young and Jared Dudley and other college standouts such as Boston College’s Tyrese Rice and Southern California’s Taj Gibson.

With each stop he makes, it seems increasingly likely that Carroll will also turn up in New York City — at least in name — on June 25, when the NBA holds its draft at Madison Square Garden. Regarded as a borderline second-round prospect at the end of his first-team All-Big 12 senior season at Missouri, Carroll has received strong reviews for his play in individual workouts over the past six weeks to dramatically enhance his draft stock.

“Everybody tells me I’m a lock for the second round, but now people say they’re going to pick me up in the first round,” Carroll said. “I’ve got GMs saying that a winning team needs a guy like me to come off the bench. I feel like I can sneak in the first round.

“I know my agent’s got me working out for a lot of teams that’s 20 through 30 to the 20 through 40-range. We don’t expect nothing less than that.”

Basketball coaches, executives and scouts are predisposed to like the all-out effort and intensity that defined Carroll’s career at Missouri, where he averaged 16.6 points and 7.2 rebounds as a senior while leading the Tigers to a 31-7 record and a surprising run to the Elite Eight.

But Carroll has surprised talent evaluators with how much athletic ability and skill he’s also demonstrated during his workouts.

When he left Columbia, he moved to Los Angeles and has been training with former NBA player Don MacLean, who set the Pac-10 Conference all-time scoring record during his four-year career at UCLA. MacLean has helped Carroll improve his ball-handling and expand the range on his jump shot to make him a more versatile player in the eyes of NBA scouts. He said he’s lowered the release point on his jumper and has been making NBA 3-pointers as consistently as he hits midrange shots.

Though he was listed at 6-foot-8 during his time in Columbia, many believed that Carroll was actually closer to 6-6 and, therefore, too short to play under the basket in the NBA. He measured at 6-7¾ in shoes at the NBA Draft Combine last week in Chicago to alleviate some concerns about his size, but MacLean is still trying to help him transition to small forward after playing almost exclusively at power forward during his college career.

“He’d rather me be a 3 and play a little 4 than be a 4 and play the 3,” Carroll said.

He’s shown enough agility in his workouts to convince some teams he’s ready to guard NBA wing players.

In an interview earlier this week with the Web site HOOPSWORLD, Ryan Blake, the assistant director of scouting for Marty Blake & Associates, identified Carroll one of the sleepers in this year’s draft class.

“You’ve got DeMarre Carroll, who is a swing that can play two positions and guard two positions,” Blake said. “That’s a very valuable guy. … He’s going to get gobbled up. If he doesn’t make a team, I’ll be very surprised.”

Blake compared Carroll to Renaldo Balkman, the former South Carolina standout who was a first-round draft choice of the New York Knicks in 2006 and came off the bench for the Denver Nuggets this season.

“Carroll is just so active, and he’s bigger and more athletic than you think,” one NBA executive told ESPN.com’s Chad Ford in a story published on May 28. “I’m not sure he’s a star in the league, but I do think he’s going somewhere in the first round. A contending team needs guys like him. He’ll do anything and do it with a smile on his face.”

Carroll’s task the next three weeks is to continue what he’s been doing to solidify or even improve his draft position. Mending from a sprained ankle that kept him from working out for Minnesota earlier this week, Carroll is scheduled to work out for Sacramento, Utah, San Antonio, Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit and Charlotte in the lead-up to the draft.

“I just feel like there’s three weeks left,” Carroll said, “and hopefully I can make a real push and know by the week going into the draft if I’ll be a first rounder or not.”

benefactor
06-07-2009, 03:44 PM
He is probably one of those "who is left at 37" types. If the pickings are slim we could take a chance on him. I'd still take Green over him though...strictly on defensive potential.

mookie2001
06-07-2009, 03:51 PM
he has good size but he had a very pedestrain career at missouri, torched the longhorns though

urunobili
06-07-2009, 07:44 PM
that's the kid of size we need at the three... how good of a shooter is he?

djohn14
06-07-2009, 07:50 PM
that's the kid of size we need at the three... how good of a shooter is he?

He played in the post, but showed to be a pretty good shooter. He has 3 point range too.

DPG21920
06-07-2009, 08:02 PM
What is with all of these tiny "PF"? So many "tweeners" coming into the NBA. They are not quite big enough to be PFs but not quick/skilled enough to be a SF.

Mel_13
06-07-2009, 08:15 PM
O-B43SIJc1Y

Spurs_9_20_21
06-07-2009, 10:34 PM
He is probably one of those "who is left at 37" types. If the pickings are slim we could take a chance on him. I'd still take Green over him though...strictly on defensive potential.
Are you talking about Danny Green?

loveforthegame
06-07-2009, 11:20 PM
He kept talking about needing to improve his shot but he looked darn good in that video. Nice size with the ball handling and foot work looking solid too.

I wasn't really familiar with him but his numbers look good.

mookie2001
06-07-2009, 11:24 PM
did he play in the post?
maybe on defense in a four guard lineup

hes a 3

he is an excellent shooter id say he needs to work on his handle and passing

Solid D
06-07-2009, 11:43 PM
DeMarre is one of my favorite players in this draft. 110% effort and he makes things happen at both ends.

Blackjack
06-08-2009, 12:40 AM
DeMarre is one of my favorite players in this draft. 110% effort and he makes things happen at both ends.

It's hard not to like him.:tu

I've heard the Balkman comparisons but if he could turn into a Bo Outlaw-type that has any semblance of an offensive game, he could easily turn into someone a team would kick themselves for passing on late in the first.

EricB
06-08-2009, 01:59 AM

Yeah from the workouts he looks like a Chris Anderson type that could find a place.

Mel_13
06-08-2009, 07:25 AM
From DraftExpress at the Treviso Eurocamp:

The medicals of various NBA draft prospects, including Missouri’s DeMarre Carroll, who may need a liver transplant in the near or long-term future

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Reebok-Eurocamp-Day-Two-3251/

benefactor
06-08-2009, 08:31 AM
From DraftExpress at the Treviso Eurocamp:

The medicals of various NBA draft prospects, including Missouri’s DeMarre Carroll, who may need a liver transplant in the near or long-term future

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Reebok-Eurocamp-Day-Two-3251/
Not good. It makes me feel bad for the kid because it's something that you just don't expect to go wrong.

loveforthegame
06-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Damn. You have to feel bad for him.

mookie2001
06-08-2009, 05:09 PM
bo outlaw and chris anderson... dont think so
did yall ever watch the guy play in a game?

Solid D
06-08-2009, 07:01 PM
That's a shame about the liver concern. Hopefully, it's not as bad as stated and things will turn out well for him.

I don't see Bo Outlaw or Birdman in his game but, appearance-wise, DeMarre does remind me of Verdine White, legendary bassist for Earth, Wind and Fire.

http://mizzouwire.missouri.edu/stories/2009/top-dog/images/full2.jpg

Blackjack
06-08-2009, 07:19 PM
bo outlaw and chris anderson... dont think so
did yall ever watch the guy play in a game?

My intention was to say: If he can have an impact on the game defensively ala Bo Outlaw (i.e. a 6' 8"/6' 9" versatile defender with boundless energy) and exhibits any kind of a shot/offensive game, teams with a late first-round pick could very well end up kicking themselves for passing on him.

The possibility that he may need a liver transplant at some point is disconcerting, to say the least, but I'd caution anyone on jumping to any conclusions.

I seem to remember Darrell Arthur's stock plummeting after reports of a medical condition, that in retrospect, seems to have been misreported or bogus.

Again, if it's true, it's terrible and I wish him all the best.

But I remain skeptical of medical reports/concerns that surface around the draft.

mookie2001
06-08-2009, 07:27 PM
yeah i think we all MAY need liver transplants in the long term future

Blackjack
06-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Agent Downplays Health Concerns For Missouri Forward Carroll

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/06/10/carroll.ap/index.html

duncan228
06-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Ex-Mizzou star Carroll says liver disease no issue (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-carroll-liver&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Mike Cranston

DeMarre Carroll was beginning his first season at Missouri two years ago when he was annoyed by itchy legs. Convinced he was allergic to something, he visited several doctors until he received a much different explanation: liver disease.

The diagnosis was kept quiet and Carroll hardly looked ill on the court, earning a slew of awards and helping the Tigers go deep in last season’s NCAA tournament.

After his medical condition was finally revealed this month—with the news he might need a liver transplant in 20-25 years—Carroll wants it known it won’t stop his NBA career.

“It hasn’t been a factor, and from what the doctor told me it isn’t going to be a factor until later down my road—if it ever is,” Carroll said Friday after a pre-draft workout with the Charlotte Bobcats. “I think it’s blown out of proportion.”

Reports of Carroll’s condition came as he was shooting up draft boards following individual workouts. There was talk the 6-foot-8 forward, who averaged a team best 16.8 points and 7.2 rebounds last season as Missouri won a school record 31 games before losing in the West Regional final, could jump into the first round.

Hoping to stop any alarm over his future, Carroll said he’ll meet soon with Dr. Jeffrey Crippin of Washington University in St. Louis, who has been treating him the past two years. Crippin will write a letter explaining his condition to be sent to all NBA teams.

“If I do take medication, it’s once every two or three weeks,” Carroll said. “And I have to go see the doctor every year. It’s not a weekly checkup.”

Showing off his familiar long dreadlocks and intense work ethic that earned him the nickname Junkyard Dog, Carroll impressed Bobcats coach Larry Brown on Friday. Carroll banged with fellow forwards DeJuan Blair of Pittsburgh, Jeff Adrien of Connecticut, Brandon Costner of North Carolina State, Dante Cunningham of Villanova and Jeff Pendergraph of Arizona State.

“I always love those kind of kids. High energy, athletic and can handle it a little bit,” Brown said of Carroll. “He reminds me of George Lynch a little bit, maybe not as physical right now. But he’ll figure it out.”

A Birmingham, Ala., native, Carroll started his college career at Vanderbilt. He transferred after two years to play for his uncle, Missouri coach Mike Anderson. Smart off the court—he’s 15 credits shy of earning a master’s degree—Carroll became a dominant player as a senior and was voted to the all-Big 12 first team.

Carroll’s stock rose again when he was voted MVP of the pre-draft Portsmouth Invitational in April. A likely second-round pick now had aspirations of going in the first round—until the secret he’d concealed in college became public after his NBA combine physical in Chicago.

Yet Carroll, who insists the disease has never forced him to limit physical activity, is convinced he’ll put NBA teams at ease through individual workouts.

“In the end, you can’t judge me unless you see me in these workouts and see how I perform,” Carroll said.

Friday was Carroll’s 10th NBA workout. He still hopes to go in the first round to get a guaranteed contract. If not, he’s intent on making a team and settling into a long NBA career before having to worry about perhaps needing a new liver.

“The way the world is these days,” Carroll said, “in 20, 25 years down the road you might be able to grow a new liver.”

Notes: Brown said Blair, a potential choice for the Bobcats at No. 12 overall, will have no trouble being a power forward in the NBA despite measuring only 6-6 at the draft combine. “But his wingspan is like 7-2,” Brown said. “I always look at guys with no neck and long arms, they play bigger.” … Blair said he dropped 36 pounds since the end of last season and weighs 276. The key: cutting out pizza and other fattening foods. “Quicker and still being the same strength as 300 (pounds), it’s a big plus,” Blair said. … Costner, who has hired an agent and can’t return to school, said he’s been hearing he could go as early as the late first round to not being drafted.

benefactor
06-12-2009, 03:48 PM
Very good news for him. If other teams remain concerned and he falls we might be able to steal him at 51.

loveforthegame
06-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Good to hear. It will scare some teams off but that one team that takes a chance on him won't be kicking themselves.

Blackjack
06-15-2009, 01:21 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#New-Jersey-Group-Workout-Wrap-Up-3259

Comments from observers in the gym:

“DeMarre Carroll was much better than I thought. He can shoot, he can move, he can really play. He was very active. He helped himself.