View Full Version : 2009 Draft Prospect: Stefon Jackson

Bruno
05-19-2009, 12:15 PM
http://www.rotorob.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/Stefon_Jackson.jpg
Height: 6-5
Weight: 185 lbs
Birthday: 05/07/1985
College: UTEP

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Stefon-Jackson-5108/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/stefon-jackson)

tomtom
05-19-2009, 08:17 PM
should get him for his name alone haha

Bruno
06-18-2009, 03:52 AM
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/131816293

Stefon Jackson Impresses Teams in NBA Workouts

June 18, 2009
By Bill Knight, El Paso Times, Texas

Jun. 18--EL PASO -- Stefon Jackson rapidly is learning the meaning of that old basketball cliche -- have jump shot, will travel.

UTEP's all-time leading scorer is taking his jump shot on the road these days, flying through a frenetic schedule, working out for NBA team after NBA team as draft night -- June 25 -- creeps closer and closer.

"I've really been working out for a lot of teams," the 6-foot, 5-inch guard from Philadelphia said. "The Memphis Grizzlies, New Jersey, the (Philadelphia) 76ers, Cleveland, Washington. The first day with the Grizzlies went great, and they asked me back for a second workout. The 76ers had me back for a second workout, and so did New Jersey."

Jackson grew up chasing this dream, shooting baskets at midnight at a crate nailed to a pole outside his house.

He shot basketballs all day and most of the night and almost in his sleep. He got his nickname that way -- D.J., for Draining Jumpers. He came to UTEP and became the most prolific scorer in this school's storied history, leaving with 2,456 points.

"I still have a long list of teams I'm working out for," Jackson said. "The New York Knicks, Boston, San Antonio, Dallas and then Phoenix. It's a lot of one-on-one, two-on-two, three-on-three, a lot of ball handling, a lot of jump shooting. Every team I've worked out for said they liked me. But they don't tell you a lot. It's kind of a grind right now ... different city every night.

"It's also definitely exciting, going up against the top players in

the country. A lot of teams say they like you, tell you to look forward to seeing your name called. But you just don't know.

"I've played four years of college basketball at UTEP to prepare for this," he said. "All those years, shooting jumpers at the crate ... really, just all my life has been preparing for this."

Courtney Witte, Philadelphia's director of player personnel, told CSNPhilly.com, "He's got a lot of upside, he's a quality player now and I think that given the opportunity he'll get better and better. I think he'll be playing somewhere professionally. Whether or not he gets an opportunity to get drafted remains to be seen."

Only 60 players will be drafted on June 25 -- 30 in the first round, 30 in the second round. Jackson has been projected by most to be anywhere from a second-round pick to an undrafted free agent. Three different NBA scouts this past season said they thought Jackson had one of the top mid-range games in the country. He has quickness, a good vertical leap and he shoots his mid-range jumper at the top of that leap. He also gets to the free-throw line, leading the nation last year in free throws made (312) and free throws attempted (374).

Now, though, he is just taking his jump shot on the road and trying to get his chance, trying to catch that dream.

"It's definitely crunch time for my dreams," he said. "I feel like I shot the ball well, I've been doing well in the ball-handling drills and some teams said they saw an athleticism in me that they hadn't seen before. A lot of teams called me back for a second workout. It's been good. It's been tough, too. My body gets a little sore. But, like I said, it's crunch time."

Jackson said he will probably come back to El Paso for the draft -- bringing that jump shot with him.

bigdog
06-18-2009, 10:04 AM
He seems like a good guy and has some potential. If no one grabs him at or after the draft, possibly training camp invite?

Blackjack
06-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Three different NBA scouts this past season said they thought Jackson had one of the top mid-range games in the country. He has quickness, a good vertical leap and he shoots his mid-range jumper at the top of that leap. He also gets to the free-throw line, leading the nation last year in free throws made (312) and free throws attempted (374).

A good athlete who possesses one of the top mid-range games, and gets to the free-throw line?

Yeah, I'm intrigued.:tu :tu

Late-round pick (depending on who's still to be had) or free-agent invite, doesn't sound like too bad of an idea.