PDA

View Full Version : IPhone 3.0 on June

lefty
05-19-2009, 01:42 PM
IPhone 3.0 on June

The new IPhone OS, dubbed as IPhone 3.0 which will bring lots of new features to all IPhone and IPod will be ready on June.

The price will vary. It will be free for iPhone and $9.95 for iPod touch. It will be compatible with 1G iPod touch, 2G iPod touch, iPhone, and 3G iPhone even though you may not get all the features if you are using 1G iPod.

<H2 class=posttitle>iPhone 3.0 feature roundup (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/03/17/iphone-3-0-feature-roundup/)</H2>by Cory Bohon (http://www.tuaw.com/bloggers/cory-bohon/) on Mar 17th 2009
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2009/03/iphone-os-3.0-preview.jpgIf you've been listening to all the clamoring on Twitter (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=), or perhaps have seen the updated Apple page (http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/), then you know there was an iPhone event (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/03/17/iphone-os-3-0-live-chat/) today to discuss a new version of the iPhone OS, version 3.0. While you will have to wait until the summer to get the new version (unless you join the developer program), Apple showed off over 100 new features that we're all excited about. iPhone developers are also getting some love from Apple with over 1,000 new APIs.

Some of the biggest updates include:

Push notifications will be standard in iPhone 3.0. Apple claims that there was a scaling issue when they first announced this feature last year, with thousands of developers clamoring to use it, so it had to be delayed. Developers will be able to build message, sound, and badge alerts into their applications.
iPhone will support cut, copy and paste -- copy text and pictures, then paste them in any application on the device. If you change your mind about the newly pasted data, just shake to display a menu asking if you wish to undo the paste.
In-App purchasing -- developers will have the ability to charge a fee from within the application for more levels in a game, magazine subscriptions, eBooks, etc. This solves the problem of the 20 ebook readers that only allow you to read one book each.
MMS -- you'll be able to use MMS on your iPhone 3G (yes, 1st gen iPhones will not get the fortune of using MMS due to the use of a different cell radio). The new Messages application will be taking the place of the SMS app and will allow you to send voice memos and pictures to your friends.
Peer-to-Peer connectivity -- allows iPhone apps the ability to find other iPhone users over WiFi or Bluetooth. This can be using for anything from gaming to sharing data.
Third-party Accessories -- app developers can now access third-party accessories attached to the iPhone. This could allow for developers to interface with their own accessories to create a truly unique experience on the device. One of the demonstrated uses was a prototype blood glucose meter for the iPhone, from a Johnson & Johnson subsidiary, which is already getting attention from our readers; it's not for sale yet!
Apple will now be allowing applications the ability to get GPS coordinates from Core Location and turn that into software that provides Turn-by-Turn directions for iPhone users. However, due to the terms of use with Google maps, developers will be required to license their own maps for this use (meaning that Turn-by-Turn GPS applications will almost certainly be paid apps). This isn't a problem for vendors like TomTom or Telenav, who already have licenses for their map data.
A landscape keyboard option is now available in all iPhone applications, including the infamous Mail.app.
Voice memos will allow iPhone users the ability to capture audio and then email it, or send it through the Messages application as a multimedia message.
System-wide Spotlight searching is built right into the home screen. To the left of the first home screen, there is a magnifying glass, so by flicking to the left of the first home screen will show this search app. You can search for anything, including mail, music, and notes. There is no word yet on how this will interface with third-party applications.
Stereo Bluetooth audio devices are now supported through the use of A2DP technology.

iPhone owners should note that A2DP technology and the use of MMS will not be available on 1st generation iPhones. This is probably due to the iPhone Bluetooth spec used, and Apple has confirmed (during the Q&A session after the keynote) that MMS is not available because of the cell radio used.

iPhone OS 3.0 will be available for regular users "this summer." iPhone developers will be able to get the beta of OS 3.0 sometime today -- Apple is still busy updating their iPhone Dev Center (http://developer.apple.com/iphone), but we'll let you know when it is available.

Cry Havoc
05-19-2009, 04:03 PM
This should basically eliminate nearly all complaints most users have about the iPhone. There is really nothing holding it back now from clearly being the most feature-rich phone in the American market.

lefty
05-19-2009, 04:25 PM
This should basically eliminate nearly all complaints most users have about the iPhone. There is really nothing holding it back now from clearly being the most feature-rich phone in the American market.

Not so fast; according to KillBillPana. the Greekphone is 10000 times better.

But seriously, I wasn't sure about getting one because of all the features missing

I think I'm gonna buy one now and install the updates in June.

Cry Havoc
05-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Not so fast; according to KillBillPana. the Greekphone is 10000 times better.

But seriously, I wasn't sure about getting one because of all the features missing

I think I'm gonna buy one now and install the updates in June.

You might want to hold off. The new iPhone will have 32 GB of internal memory, and there could be other upgrades in store as well.

lefty
05-19-2009, 04:35 PM
You might want to hold off. The new iPhone will have 32 GB of internal memory, and there could be other upgrades in store as well.

How expensive will the 32 GB be?

If it's gonna be too $$$$, I think I will get the 16gb and install the updates.

Time will tell..........

arial
05-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Nice but MMS for the iPhone 1st gen? Come on I don't buy that BS about it not having the proper technology Apple is trying to get us 1st gen users to spend more money on the 3G :(

PixelPusher
05-19-2009, 05:40 PM

3.2 megapixel camera with zoom, video (strong rumor)
twice the processing power, RAM (strong rumor)
FM radio (weak rumor)

resistanze
05-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I have the first Gen IPhone. Once the 32GB comes out, I'm all over that.

Cry Havoc
05-19-2009, 09:46 PM
How expensive will the 32 GB be?

If it's gonna be too $$$$, I think I will get the 16gb and install the updates.

Time will tell..........

No idea on pricing, but probably:

16GB $199
32GB $299

The biggest news however, is that the pricing plan for the AT&T media plan is reduced by $10. So you can get an iPhone for $60 a month instead of $70. Much better deal for the money.

arial
05-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Apple are some little liars. MMS is possible on the 2G (1st Gen) http://www.swirlyspace.com has an app capable of accepting MMS messages for jailbroken phones. Tested it myself using an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile and works great! Tsk tsk Apple!

lefty
05-19-2009, 11:10 PM
No idea on pricing, but probably:

16GB $199
32GB $299

The biggest news however, is that the pricing plan for the AT&T media plan is reduced by $10. So you can get an iPhone for $60 a month instead of $70. Much better deal for the money.

Just had to check something

I'll have to wait 1 year to get one, I'm screwed because of my contract

ElNono
05-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Running 3.0 on my Touch now to test our apps. :tu
There are still some caveats, but overall it's a great update.
Can't say much more due to the NDA.

lefty
05-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Just had to check something

I'll have to wait 1 year to get one, I'm screwed because of my contract

I triple checked.

Based on my actual contract, I can buy an Iphone around September; so I guess I'll get the best one available.(32 gig).

Bt damn, 25/30$ of extra fees (monthly) for the data transmission :wow

Dr. Gonzo
05-20-2009, 12:58 PM
I have Sprint but not on contract. I would switch to AT&T for this phone but they are way more expensive per month than Sprint so I'm staying with them and going for the Palm Pre that comes out in June.

arial
05-20-2009, 01:55 PM
I triple checked.

Based on my actual contract, I can buy an Iphone around September; so I guess I'll get the best one available.(32 gig).

Bt damn, 25/30$ of extra fees (monthly) for the data transmission :wow

Yeah that's a little rough I use my 2G iPhone on T-Mobile however their dataplans are $35/mo luckily most places I go have free wifi so no need for a data plan.

lefty
05-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah that's a little rough I use my 2G iPhone on T-Mobile however their dataplans are $35/mo luckily most places I go have free wifi so no need for a data plan.
Well, here you must take the data plan, because even some free wifi zones, the 3G signal can be stronger thant the wifi signal, and I've been told the Iphone would connect to the 3G exclusively

Cry Havoc
05-20-2009, 06:50 PM

There's a massive difference between 2 and 3g though. You're basically looking at around 8x the speed of the EDGE network with a 3G connection.

arial
05-21-2009, 11:27 AM
There's a massive difference between 2 and 3g though. You're basically looking at around 8x the speed of the EDGE network with a 3G connection.

Wifi vs 3G most of the time wifi wins speed wise. That why I tend to use wifi instead of a data plan. 2G speeds vs 3G of course are far better but throw wifi in the mix and like I said you will most of the time beat 3G speeds. Of course public places with lots of people this always isnt the case but most places I go with free wifi have held their own and a few have been turtles. To each their own though I guess. :toast

Bukefal
05-21-2009, 12:35 PM
They should add a decent camera in the new iphones. At least one of 5 mp.

Heath Ledger
05-21-2009, 12:49 PM
I am not much impressed with 3g, often I am showing a full signal and it just sits there waiting to connect.

Heath Ledger
05-21-2009, 12:50 PM
For the record you will never get faster speeds on a 3g versus a wifi with good isp.

Cry Havoc
05-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Wifi vs 3G most of the time wifi wins speed wise. That why I tend to use wifi instead of a data plan. 2G speeds vs 3G of course are far better but throw wifi in the mix and like I said you will most of the time beat 3G speeds. Of course public places with lots of people this always isnt the case but most places I go with free wifi have held their own and a few have been turtles. To each their own though I guess. :toast

This is true and I agree. I misunderstood what you were saying at first. :toast

LnGrrrR
05-21-2009, 03:02 PM
I've already got the data plan on my crappy phone. Was waiting for this one to update it.

I'm guessing the battery will still drain after 3 hours of use? :D

Slomo
05-21-2009, 03:51 PM
For the record you will never get faster speeds on a 3g versus a wifi with good isp.

That's true, although being independent of WiFi hotspots and have 3g speed almost everywhere is quite nice.

ElNono
05-21-2009, 07:36 PM
I've already got the data plan on my crappy phone. Was waiting for this one to update it.

I'm guessing the battery will still drain after 3 hours of use? :D

I believe usage is the same. So yeah, about 3-4 hours of web surfing/playing some intensive game. There's some battery extenders out there that plug on the bottom of the phone that will give you 3-4 more hours. Those are handy if you're on a long trip and there's no plug around.

ElNono
05-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Couple of notes from 3.0:

The bad stuff so far...
- The in-App store looks like a big dud. They don't want to tell developers who bought what, and Apple doesn't wanna track it, so basically devs are forced to have users register on their own website so you can track who bought what, in case they lost their phone, etc. We'll see if they do something about this.
- The Push notifications work, but are kinda limited. Only can send a message, sound or update a badge. They won't launch an app or something like that.
- The third party accessory requires a 'Made For iPod' license, which means you need to pay fees, licenses and include a security chip on any accessory you want to create. Pretty lame IMHO.
- Peer to peer connectivity is limited to two devices.

The good stuff...
- The cut/copy/paste is nice. Works real nice between applications and everything.
- Landscape email works great too. They also added a UI to be able to attach and send email from third party apps that it's great.

...and many many more stuff. All the new MMS stuff, voice note recording, etc.

lefty
05-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Couple of notes from 3.0:

The bad stuff so far...
- The in-App store looks like a big dud. They don't want to tell developers who bought what, and Apple doesn't wanna track it, so basically devs are forced to have users register on their own website so you can track who bought what, in case they lost their phone, etc. We'll see if they do something about this.
- The Push notifications work, but are kinda limited. Only can send a message, sound or update a badge. They won't launch an app or something like that.
- The third party accessory requires a 'Made For iPod' license, which means you need to pay fees, licenses and include a security chip on any accessory you want to create. Pretty lame IMHO.
- Peer to peer connectivity is limited to two devices.

The good stuff...
- The cut/copy/paste is nice. Works real nice between applications and everything.
- Landscape email works great too. They also added a UI to be able to attach and send email from third party apps that it's great.

...and many many more stuff. All the new MMS stuff, voice note recording, etc.

Thanks

DannyT
06-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Some features require the iPhone 3.0 Software Update, which will be available for free download on June 17.

lefty
06-15-2009, 10:07 AM
I was wondering; is it technically possible to shoot movies with the Iphone 3G by installing the new firmware, or do I have to buy the 3GS ?????

ElNono
06-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm gonna update my notes on this by saying that most concerns about the in-App purchase stuff have been solved.

And I do believe that you certainly need a 3GS phone to record movies. I don't think older hardware will support it.

Cry Havoc
06-15-2009, 12:16 PM
I was wondering; is it technically possible to shoot movies with the Iphone 3G by installing the new firmware, or do I have to buy the 3GS ?????

I use Cycorder via jailbreak. Works great.

cool cat
06-16-2009, 09:23 AM

Jailbreaks will work, but do not install the 3gs firmware on the 3G.

lefty
06-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Jailbreaks will work, but do not install the 3gs firmware on the 3G.

The 3.0 version?
Why?

leemajors
06-17-2009, 08:11 AM
The 3.0 version?
Why?

he doesn't know what he is talking about. the firmware is the same for all.

lefty
06-17-2009, 10:00 AM

That's what I thought :D

lefty
06-17-2009, 10:01 AM
No-contract Iphone 3GS prices revelead (Canada):

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/06/15/rogers-fido-no-contract-iphone-3g-s-pricing-revealed-eh/comment-page-1/#comments

:wow

DarkReign
06-17-2009, 11:31 AM
What the hell is a "Push Notification"?

I own a 3G iPhone.

cool cat
06-17-2009, 12:30 PM

Yes I do. I thought he asked about 3GS firmware not 3.0 update so my statment still stands do not install the 3gs firmware on the 3G.

http://www.iphonefirmware.com/2009/06/17/iphone-3g-s-gold-master-firmware-30-available-now/

The Gold Master iPhone OS 3.0 software release for the iPhone 3G S has gone live and can be downloaded now from this page.

Based the availability of the firmware, there’s a good chance that iPhone 3G S users should expect a firmware update for their new iPhones after connecting it to iTunes for its initial sync. If you are not automatically asked to check for or install an update, press the Check Update button in iTunes on the device summary screen just in case. If an update is available, iTunes will tell you.

This firmware is not recommended for iPhone 3G users.

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/06/15/iphone-3g-firmware-lining-apples-servers/
iPhone 3G S Firmware Already Lining Up on Apple’s Servers?

No, downloading and installing it on your iPhone 2G won’t magically give it a better camera, video recording, or unicorn tear-powered 2x speed. (It will most likely give you heartache — never mix and match firmware!) but MacRumors forum has already found iPhone OS 3.0 for iPhone hardware 2,1 lingering about Apple.com.

(We’re betting it’s waiting in line for the hardware — curse those pre-order limits!)

Again, we don’t recommend doing anything with it — if you’re getting an iPhone 3G S it’ll come pre-installed. We simply present it as another check box on the road to release, like Find My iPhone going live, and Push Notifications hitting the App Store.

lefty
06-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Yes I do. I thought he asked about 3GS firmware not 3.0 update so my statment still stands do not install the 3gs firmware on the 3G.

http://www.iphonefirmware.com/2009/06/17/iphone-3g-s-gold-master-firmware-30-available-now/

The Gold Master iPhone OS 3.0 software release for the iPhone 3G S has gone live and can be downloaded now from this page.

Based the availability of the firmware, there’s a good chance that iPhone 3G S users should expect a firmware update for their new iPhones after connecting it to iTunes for its initial sync. If you are not automatically asked to check for or install an update, press the Check Update button in iTunes on the device summary screen just in case. If an update is available, iTunes will tell you.

This firmware is not recommended for iPhone 3G users.

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/06/15/iphone-3g-firmware-lining-apples-servers/
iPhone 3G S Firmware Already Lining Up on Apple’s Servers?

No, downloading and installing it on your iPhone 2G won’t magically give it a better camera, video recording, or unicorn tear-powered 2x speed. (It will most likely give you heartache — never mix and match firmware!) but MacRumors forum has already found iPhone OS 3.0 for iPhone hardware 2,1 lingering about Apple.com.

(We’re betting it’s waiting in line for the hardware — curse those pre-order limits!)

Again, we don’t recommend doing anything with it — if you’re getting an iPhone 3G S it’ll come pre-installed. We simply present it as another check box on the road to release, like Find My iPhone going live, and Push Notifications hitting the App Store.

I see.

So what if I want to install the 3.0 OS on an unlocked Iphone 3G ?

Will that lock it back ?????

leemajors
06-17-2009, 02:12 PM
I see.

probably - wait for the iPhone dev team unlock before you do anything. again, iPhone OS 3.0 will work on any iPhone. if there is any iPhone 3Gs specific firmware, you wouldn't be able to download it in iTunes anyway for a 3G.

ElNono
06-17-2009, 02:15 PM
There's 5 flavors of firmware:
- iPhone first gen
- iPhone 3G
- iPhone 3GS
- iPod Touch first gen
- iPod Touch second gen

They all include the same OS build, but you can't install the firmware for one device into another. iTunes automatically downloads the proper version for your device.

ElNono
06-17-2009, 02:17 PM
I see.

Yes it will. Wait for a Pwn tool. My guesstimate is that there will be one out shortly.

lefty
06-17-2009, 02:17 PM
probably - wait for the iPhone dev team unlock before you do anything. again, iPhone OS 3.0 will work on any iPhone. if there is any iPhone 3Gs specific firmware, you wouldn't be able to download it in iTunes anyway for a 3G.

Thanks
Yeah, the OS 3.0 got released today, so it will be too early anyway.

I found an ulocked Iphone 3G, 16gig at 600 $ (canadian dollars, taxes included, brand new of course).
Do you think it's a good deal ?????

Or maybe should I wait a few weeks to get a cheaper unlocked Iphone 3G?

PM5K
06-17-2009, 06:35 PM
eBay?

What kind of phone do you have now?

PM5K
06-17-2009, 06:38 PM
The new OS is cool, but I think some of the underlying changes they've made to the OS itself and how it interacts with other programs will turn out to be really cool once we see software written to take specific advantage of these things.

Dex
06-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Updating mine now. I'm giving up my jailbreak and my free apps for the ability to copy and paste. Better be worth it, Apple.

PM5K
06-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Updating mine now. I'm giving up my jailbreak and my free apps for the ability to copy and paste. Better be worth it, Apple.

It works well, just a matter of how much you feel you need it.

There should be a jailbreak by Friday.

arial
06-17-2009, 10:43 PM
It works well, just a matter of how much you feel you need it.

There should be a jailbreak by Friday.

OMG Friday? That's too long!

I'm personally waiting for a while until all the little kinks get worked out. There's always some that result in a minor patch. I can wait on copy and paste for another week or two.

Cry Havoc
06-18-2009, 11:04 AM
What the hell is a "Push Notification"?

I own a 3G iPhone.

Push notification refers to an email service in your phone or other electronic device that is "always on". This means that when you get an email, it will immediately notify you, rather than waiting for you to check the email service before getting the new email.

It's pretty handy to have, but I check my email enough as it is that I really don't need if. If you were using your iPhone for business, it might be a little more pressing, but eh. It's something I've never really needed in a phone.

PM5K
06-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Push notification refers to an email service in your phone or other electronic device that is "always on". This means that when you get an email, it will immediately notify you, rather than waiting for you to check the email service before getting the new email.

It's pretty handy to have, but I check my email enough as it is that I really don't need if. If you were using your iPhone for business, it might be a little more pressing, but eh. It's something I've never really needed in a phone.

It's more than just email, it would also work with instant messenger services, and a lot of other programs. So for example there is a program by Zillo which is a real estate company, when a new home comes on the market in an area that you've searched you'll receive a push notification.

Push actually let's you receive all types of notifications from all types of programs, but the programs don't have to be running.

resistanze
06-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Ordered my 16GB 3GS yesterday, can't wait for this motherfucker to be shipped to me.

Heath Ledger
06-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Im selling my iphone 3g 16 gig for $400 will keep it jailbroken with tons of apps and music. PM me if you are interested.

Heath Ledger
06-25-2009, 05:46 AM
Sold for $350 if yours is mint you can get $400 for an 8gig in mint you can get $300

ElNono
06-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Sold for $350 if yours is mint you can get $400 for an 8gig in mint you can get $300

That's a lot of money for phones that cost $99 and $149 new respectively.
I mean, props to you for ripping some guy off. :tu

leemajors
06-25-2009, 08:51 AM
i still haven't really used copy and paste, but 3.0 is pretty good.

resistanze
06-25-2009, 09:56 AM
That's a lot of money for phones that cost $99 and $149 new respectively.
I mean, props to you for ripping some guy off. :tu

No, that's only with a 3 year contract. The cell phone company recoups their costs through the voice/data plan they force upon you. Buying the iPhone without a plan costs $400-$800, depending on the model.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-25-2009, 10:31 AM
ok. i think i may be getting in line to join the iphone craze. that $99 deal is looking good to me and my contract is up with tmobile. so.......... the iphone. it's 8gb. that's cool. what can and can't i do on it? text. pics. video. is iphone 3.0 a software update or is it the new phone that just came out? i think it may be software 'cause i see the new phone is the 3gs. what are y'all's bill coming out to a month? i'll go with the lowest minutes plan. i don't talk much and the rollover minutes will work in my favor. i know i need to pay for the iphone data plan thingy. is that unlimited data? and i may need the unlimited text, but i may get away with 1500. let me know.

resistanze
06-25-2009, 10:48 AM
ok. i think i may be getting in line to join the iphone craze. that $99 deal is looking good to me and my contract is up with tmobile. so.......... the iphone. it's 8gb. that's cool. what can and can't i do on it? text. pics. video. is iphone 3.0 a software update or is it the new phone that just came out? i think it may be software 'cause i see the new phone is the 3gs. what are y'all's bill coming out to a month? i'll go with the lowest minutes plan. i don't talk much and the rollover minutes will work in my favor. i know i need to pay for the iphone data plan thingy. is that unlimited data? and i may need the unlimited text, but i may get away with 1500. let me know.

You can do everything on the 3G as you would on the 3Gs except that the processor is slower, memory is less, and 3G speed is slower (and 2mpx camera vs. 3mpx). Both have 3.0 software.

I don't know how it is in USA, but the unlimited (actually 6GB) data plan is about $30 a month, in addition to your voice plan. I'm just gonna cancel mine and pay the $100 fee.

They also have a value pack where you get 500mb data, unlimited text, call display and voice mail for $35.

ElNono
06-25-2009, 11:04 AM

Wife pays $80/mo for unlimited data, 450 min nationwide plan. No texting included there since she gets around with email.
All software updates for the iPhone (not the iPod Touch) so far, including 3.0, have been free of charge.
Reasons you would opt for a 3GS over a 3G model:
- You're a guy that likes to use voice commands with your bluetooth headset.
- You talk a lot and could use the improved battery life.
- You record video with your cell.
- You're into gaming. The 3GS model includes shader support for OpenGL, so newer games supporting the 3GS hardware should look a lot nicer.
- You want the speedier 3G speed when At&t decides to roll over it's network update sometime next year (and if you're lucky to get the updated cell network where you live).

Just keep in mind that after you sign up, you won't qualify for a phone upgrade until 18 months or so into your contract. Apple seems to be shipping a new phone every year.

PM5K
06-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah it runs about 80.00 a month with the data plan, the 450.00 Nationwide plan is 39.99 and the data plan is 30.00, the rest is taxes and fees.

You can get a 16GB refurb for 130.00 online.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Wife pays $80/mo for unlimited data, 450 min nationwide plan. No texting included there since she gets around with email.
All software updates for the iPhone (not the iPod Touch) so far, including 3.0, have been free of charge.
Reasons you would opt for a 3GS over a 3G model:
- You're a guy that likes to use voice commands with your bluetooth headset.
- You talk a lot and could use the improved battery life.
- You record video with your cell.
- You're into gaming. The 3GS model includes shader support for OpenGL, so newer games supporting the 3GS hardware should look a lot nicer.
- You want the speedier 3G speed when At&t decides to roll over it's network update sometime next year (and if you're lucky to get the updated cell network where you live).

Just keep in mind that after you sign up, you won't qualify for a phone upgrade until 18 months or so into your contract. Apple seems to be shipping a new phone every year.

cool. thanks. well right now i just have an itch to get a new phone. i'm tired of my Shadow. the regular iphone is appealing to me simply because of the price. i didn't know the $99 iphone didn't take video. that kinda sucks, but i could do without.

Yeah it runs about 80.00 a month with the data plan, the 450.00 Nationwide plan is 39.99 and the data plan is 30.00, the rest is taxes and fees.

You can get a 16GB refurb for 130.00 online.

so i guess if i get text services it'll push it over $100. i really didn't want to go that high.

PM5K
06-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah the cheapest plan is 5.00 for 200 texts, the unlimited would put you at about 100.00 monthly, which is the reason a contact free iPhone is worth three to four hundred dollars.

If you jailbreak your iPhone you can add video recording software but it only records at 15FPS as opposed to 30FPS with the iPhone 3GS.

If I were you I'd try to sell that Shadow and use the money to buy an iPhone 3GS (199.00 with a two year contract).

[EDIT: A quick check on eBay shows you'd get at least 50.00 for the Shadow if it's in good condition, and even more if you've got the accessories, box, etc]

Heath Ledger
06-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Nono dipshit I didnt rip anyone off, its the going rate look at craigslist, you will see a few idiots selling for less but most are getting $350-$400 for a 16 gig, lots of reasons people will pay that, #1 they don't want to have to sign up for two years, #2 they want to use it on another carrier and if you buy it without a contract it costs up to $800.

I put the ad up and got a response for $350 within 15 minutes, I posted it for $400 obo. When we met the guy tried to jew me down about minor scratches I already told him it had. I told him to either pay $350 or hit the bricks and cuz I'm a swell guy I'll throw in this leather case. Done deal.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Yeah the cheapest plan is 5.00 for 200 texts, the unlimited would put you at about 100.00 monthly, which is the reason a contact free iPhone is worth three to four hundred dollars.

If you jailbreak your iPhone you can add video recording software but it only records at 15FPS as opposed to 30FPS with the iPhone 3GS.

If I were you I'd try to sell that Shadow and use the money to buy an iPhone 3GS (199.00 with a two year contract).

[EDIT: A quick check on eBay shows you'd get at least 50.00 for the Shadow if it's in good condition, and even more if you've got the accessories, box, etc]
hmmm. i wonder if it would be a little cheaper being that i'm a uverse customer. are the 3GS's available or is there a wait?

PM5K
06-25-2009, 01:13 PM
I put the ad up and got a response for $350 within 15 minutes, I posted it for $400 obo. When we met the guy tried to jew me down about minor scratches I already told him it had. I told him to either pay $350 or hit the bricks and cuz I'm a swell guy I'll throw in this leather case. Done deal.

Same thing happened to me yesterday, 350.00 within fifteen minutes, this Asian guy tried to Jew me down too!

PM5K
06-25-2009, 01:15 PM
hmmm. i wonder if it would be a little cheaper being that i'm a uverse customer. are the 3GS's available or is there a wait?

I doubt it would be any cheaper, but I don't have U-Verse so who knows.

I tried to get one at the AT&T store at The Rim, then the Apple Store at La Cantera, wound up getting mine from the Apple Store at Northstar Mall.

You'll probably have to call around but if you don't mind driving you can find one the same day.

Heath Ledger
06-25-2009, 07:05 PM
2nd wave has reached most stores, should be plentiful but the white ones are more popular they did not have 32gig in white here in Vegas like anywhere. But I wanted black anyway i bought a kickass case with batter extender built in/doubles battery life

I also bought a pair of Bluetooth Stereo Headphones that were $79.00 but rang up as only $9.99 i knew it was a mistake and went back to get all they had left but they only had one pair. So i have an extra pair for $60 shipped unopened for anyone interested. Saves you about $20 after taxes

Motorokr S9 HD WILL ONLY WORK ON 3GS NOT 3G

ElNono
06-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Nono dipshit I didnt rip anyone off, its the going rate look at craigslist, you will see a few idiots selling for less but most are getting $350-$400 for a 16 gig, lots of reasons people will pay that, #1 they don't want to have to sign up for two years, #2 they want to use it on another carrier and if you buy it without a contract it costs up to $800.

I wouldn't pay over $150 for a used iPhone 3G. Like I said, good for you. :tu

PM5K
06-25-2009, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't pay over $150 for a used iPhone 3G. Like I said, good for you. :tu

Then you wouldn't get one without a contract dipshit.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-29-2009, 11:53 AM
ok. i took the plunge. i went to sign up on saturday. i pulled the trigger and went for the 3GS. what's the shipping time everyone is experiencing? also, heath. how's that power slider case you have. looks kinda cool, but a little bulky. does it protect the screen well?

resistanze
06-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Well I ordered last Monday and they've yet to ship it, even though they said 3-5 days. Cocksuckers.

I would suggest you guys take a look at some Switcheasy cases.

This is the one I'm probably going with:

http://www.switcheasy.com/products/Rebel/productwindow/arctic/c.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
06-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Well I ordered last Monday and they've yet to ship it, even though they said 3-5 days. Cocksuckers.

I would suggest you guys take a look at some Switcheasy cases.

This is the one I'm probably going with:

http://www.switcheasy.com/products/Rebel/productwindow/arctic/c.jpg
aren't you in canada?

resistanze
06-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Yep. My timeframe may be different from yours, but the phone was released the same day and they were expected to have enough to deal with the orders.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-10-2009, 11:56 AM
man, this iphone rocks. now i see what the buzz was about. i got the 3gs plus the case that heath mentioned and they are the balls.

resistanze
07-10-2009, 01:48 PM
How much is everyone paying monthly for their plan? What's usually included? I just want to gauge the difference from plans in Canada.

leemajors
07-10-2009, 02:03 PM
i pay about $80 per month, but that includes a 1500 message plan. I'm also on a family plan and get a 15% overall discount.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-10-2009, 03:08 PM
i pay about $80 per month, but that includes a 1500 message plan. I'm also on a family plan and get a 15% overall discount.
hmm. sounds like you got the 450 minute plan like i did. i haven't received my first bill, but i got hooked up with a 20% discount. i may be around the $80 range.

resistanze
07-10-2009, 03:19 PM
The thing I hate about Canada is this stupid "system access fee" cell phone companies charge you, usually between $7-$10 on EVERY monthly bill. It's bullshit.

However, my provider released a decent value pack that gives you unlimited text/MMS, 500 MB data, call display, and visual voicemail for $35. Add my voice plan which is only 250 minutes (but unlimited incoming, evenings/weekends) and I'm paying roughly $65 a month after taxes.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-11-2009, 01:13 AM
I found a cool thing. This is for 3gs owners only. Also I never read manuals, so if this is in there then oh well. Its in settings. It polarizes the screen. I think that's the right term. Go to general then Accesability. Turn on white on black and voilà!!! I kinda dig it

resistanze
07-11-2009, 09:22 AM
^ I heard about that, but never tried it yet.

I got a nice user created app called LockInfo. It gives you alerts (+details) of missed called and voicemail, new SMS and emails, and weather/calendar info.

This is my lockscreen at the moment:

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7776/photohug.jpg

Heath Ledger
07-11-2009, 06:52 PM
So you like the power slider? A tip is to make sure your iphone is 100 percent charged, otherwise the powerslide will drain very quickly.

ElNono
07-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Monkey Island SE for the win! If you liked the original, this is totally recommendable!

sribb43
07-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Thinking about getting an ipone with the 450 min plan + data + 200 txt...so i guess that would run me $75 a month + fees/taxes. Anyone know what the fees/taxes in TX would push my bill to?

sribb43
07-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Does anyone hear use their iphone in their car as an MP3 player? Im wondering because what happens when an incoming call comes in? Does the player stop while you take the call and continue once you hang up?

I ask this bc im wondering if i should keep my itouch if i cant use the phone as mp3 player in the car effectively

leemajors
07-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Does anyone hear use their iphone in their car as an MP3 player? Im wondering because what happens when an incoming call comes in? Does the player stop while you take the call and continue once you hang up?

I ask this bc im wondering if i should keep my itouch if i cant use the phone as mp3 player in the car effectively

The music fades out, ringtone comes from the phone, and music resumes when the call is completed

sribb43
07-29-2009, 09:01 AM
The music fades out, ringtone comes from the phone, and music resumes when the call is completed

Sweet...guess i just need to make sure my cord is long enough to reach my ear

sribb43
07-29-2009, 09:28 AM
If I'm set up with 2 iphones on a family plan, will I have to pay $30 per phone for unlimited data and $5 per phone for 200 TXT? Or does the $30 and $5 cover both phones under the family plan? Thanks

ElNono
07-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Sweet...guess i just need to make sure my cord is long enough to reach my ear

Just get one of these:
LINK (http://www.n1wireless.com/Bluetooth_Car_kits-Jabra_SP5050_BT_Car_Kit_Speakerphone.html)

It's $20, wireless and handsfree. Or simply get a bluetooth headset. I highly recommend Jabra if you go that route.

leemajors
07-29-2009, 09:45 AM
If I'm set up with 2 iphones on a family plan, will I have to pay $30 per phone for unlimited data and $5 per phone for 200 TXT? Or does the $30 and $5 cover both phones under the family plan? Thanks

Data is $30 per phone

Heath Ledger
07-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Data is not $30 per phone on a family shared plan.

sribb43
07-29-2009, 11:32 AM

So under the family plan the $30 covers both phones, correct?

Heath Ledger
07-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Thats what I was told when I added a 2nd iphone a few weeks ago, still waiting for that first bill to show up.

leemajors
07-29-2009, 02:03 PM

Yes it is. I have two iPhones on my family plan. $30 a pop. You have to agree to a data plan for the phone when it's activated.

ElNono
07-29-2009, 02:53 PM
We have 3 phones under family plan here, and I'm pretty sure the only thing shared is the minutes. We don't have texting, so I don't know if that's shared also.

Cry Havoc
07-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Minutes and texts are shared.