PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) now available for free download

Cry Havoc
05-19-2009, 04:31 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

Open with internet explorer and download.

Be warned that on March 1st 2010, your computer will begin shutting down every two hours until you install a full version of Windows.

In the meantime, this is a good chance to get an operating system that's free, and supposed to be the best MS has ever produced. We'll see if it lives up to it.

koriwhat
05-19-2009, 04:40 PM
supposed to be the best MS has ever produced

it's not hard to produce something better then all the other shit OS's this company has come out with... and with that said, i'm sure windows7 will be just as shitty.

thanks but no thanks!

baseline bum
05-19-2009, 04:50 PM
it's not hard to produce something better then all the other shit OS's this company has come out with... and with that said, i'm sure windows7 will be just as shitty.

thanks but no thanks!

2000 and XP were pretty solid.

Bender
05-19-2009, 04:51 PM
what if I want to open it with firefox :rolleyes

I used 2000 Pro for many years. was happy with the stability. only reason I finally went to XP (last year - 6 years after it came out...) was that win2k sucked with CD-RWs and DVD-RWs (3rd party apps needed), usb wasn't great either.

a million times better than win98, which was the worst os ever.

baseline bum
05-19-2009, 04:58 PM

I used 2000 Pro for many years. was happy with the stability. only reason I finally went to XP (last year - 6 years after it came out...) was that win2k sucked with CD-RWs and DVD-RWs (3rd party apps needed), usb wasn't great either.

No way. Windows 95A was the biggest piece of crap I have ever used.

Cry Havoc
05-19-2009, 05:02 PM

Because the RC downloads using ActiveX, which Firefox does not use. No need for the smarmy remarks. I wouldn't have said, "with internet explorer" unless there was a reason for it.

98 and ME were both horrible OSes. 2000 and XP are very good OSes.

thanks but no thanks!

Pretty par for the course for your posts, consisting of pointless ridicule and no real factual information.

koriwhat
05-19-2009, 05:04 PM
i think winME was the worst... fo'real though!

koriwhat
05-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Pretty par for the course for your posts, consisting of pointless ridicule and no real factual information.

you know this, bitch! :king

koriwhat
05-19-2009, 05:08 PM
ps: you want factual info Cry"baby"Havoc? i'll give it to you.... all WinOS's are shit! they are bloated pieces of shit to be exact and any way you try to spin it won't matter because the fact is that microshit produces a shit product with every release.

is that enough facts for you?

PixelPusher
05-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Because the RC downloads using ActiveX, which Firefox does not use. No need for the smarmy remarks. I wouldn't have said, "with internet explorer" unless there was a reason for it.

I downloaded it yesterday (haven't installed it yet) with Firefox on Mac OS X, so it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: You'll need a Microsoft Live ID (if you have a hotmail, it's the same thing)

Cry Havoc
05-19-2009, 05:17 PM
ps: you want factual info Cry"baby"Havoc? i'll give it to you.... all WinOS's are shit! they are bloated pieces of shit to be exact and any way you try to spin it won't matter because the fact is that microshit produces a shit product with every release.

is that enough facts for you?

And your vaunted OSX sucks compared to a real OS like Linux or NetBSD. OSX is bloated and horrible by comparison. Keep it coming.

baseline bum
05-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Uh oh... OS flame war.

PixelPusher
05-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Uh oh... OS flame war.

http://icehot.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/humor-linux.jpg

baseline bum
05-19-2009, 05:39 PM

:lmao

Cry Havoc
05-19-2009, 05:44 PM

Post of the week in The Geek Zone forum.

:lmao

baseline bum
05-19-2009, 05:56 PM
It's only missing FreeBSD fan.

Cry Havoc
05-19-2009, 06:07 PM
It's only missing FreeBSD fan.

It's hard to represent a command line in a graph.

koriwhat
05-19-2009, 06:29 PM
And your vaunted OSX sucks compared to a real OS like Linux or NetBSD. OSX is bloated and horrible by comparison. Keep it coming.

ah it's nice to know you actually have some sort of concept about what bsd is... too bad, wait here comes an assumption, you've never used it.

and if you want to get technical... how can linux be a step above darwin(unix)? i love linux but come on now. you ain't foolin' no one in this forum cry baby.

shits and giggles.

leemajors
05-19-2009, 08:22 PM
windows 7 is slick. been using the RC for around a month.

Bender
05-19-2009, 08:40 PM
sorry Havoc, I wasn't being smarmy... :lol I knew the reason why... it was just a joke about all the people who use firefox, but have to use IE to do MS stuff,..

I knew why you specified IE.

bb - I was commenting from 98 on... all I remember about 98 was crashes and BSODs

I used DOS for a while, then 3.0 and 3.1 then 95 but I don't remember much about the early windows releases.

ElNono
05-20-2009, 01:21 AM
2000 and XP were pretty solid.

When the OS itself instructs you to install an Anti-Virus and/or a Anti-Malware program, I think the message is very clear. Whoever developed that piece of shit doesn't even trust their own code from being hacked four ways from Sunday.
I've used pretty much every OS since the Z80 Spectrum days, and XP was the best out there for a while. But since OS X 10.3, there's no doubt which OS is far ahead from the competition these days.

Shit, just thinking that if you installed the wrong combo of software would bring your computer to halt, and after X months you had to sometimes start from scratch is just pathetic. Not to mention that when somebody just bought a brand new PC it came with 30 fucking extra 'featured programs' that already killed your performance right there.

2000 was the first NT based OS with a cute GUI, and I still run it on VMWare when I need to do some win32 stuff here at home, but it also had it's drawbacks. Install a program, and it wants to restart. Move the mouse and it wants to restart. They actually got better on XP about this specific issue.

velik_m
05-20-2009, 04:03 AM
Windows 96 FTW!

stretch
05-20-2009, 09:18 AM
so is windows 7 worth getting?

Bender
05-20-2009, 09:29 AM
let's have some proper Geek Zone reviews of Windows 7 after some posters here use it for a little while.

Cry Havoc
05-20-2009, 09:45 AM
so is windows 7 worth getting?

I have a friend who's a system administrator, and he's been running it on 3 of his 4 computers for a while now. He says he has had zero problems with it so far and that it runs like a dream.

koriwhat
05-20-2009, 09:56 AM
I have a friend who's a system administrator, and he's been running it on 3 of his 4 computers for a while now. He says he has had zero problems with it so far and that it runs like a dream.

thats hard to believe considering it's winOS... dude must be having nightmares cause i know i would if i was still running a pos OS like the ones microshit comes out with.

resistanze
05-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Been running Windows 7 for the past couple of months.

Windows 7 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vista.

And somehow it's added an hour to my battery life on my laptop.

sabar
05-21-2009, 05:00 AM
I find it difficult to see any incentive for paying $200 for a shiny new interface and an OS that is probably even more incompatible with old software than vista already is.

Honestly, with WINE getting better at emulating windows API with each release, I plan to ride Windows XP down to the rims. The biggest obstacle is microsoft's giagantic influence over directx and their ability to force gamers to upgrade to a new operating system because of bogus exclusivity. That deserves it's own topic though.

to21
05-21-2009, 10:03 AM
I have a friend who's a system administrator, and he's been running it on 3 of his 4 computers for a while now. He says he has had zero problems with it so far and that it runs like a dream.That's cause any Sys Ad worth his salt knows WTF he's doing and talking about.

Not like some folks on this thread.

spurster
05-21-2009, 10:30 AM

Windows 7 is more like a service pack for Vista. MS needs a new name because Vista has a bad smell to it. CPUs/GPUs have improved so that the performance is reasonable.

Borosai
05-21-2009, 11:13 AM
I installed Windows 7 Beta a few months back. I'm sure it's an improvement over Vista, but it's nothing special. XP SP3 will do just fine for a while.

Cry Havoc
05-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Windows 7 is more like a service pack for Vista. MS needs a new name because Vista has a bad smell to it. CPUs/GPUs have improved so that the performance is reasonable.

What the hell are you talking about?

Yes. 7 is a service pack for Vista that suddenly allows it to run optimally on netbooks. :lmao

A service pack makes an operating system that's ideal for use on a high-powered rig suddenly run on an low-end, low-volt processor with RAM that was standard more than 2 years ago.

Your statement could not be more untrue if you said it was a UNIX based OS.

koriwhat
05-21-2009, 01:23 PM
watch yourself spurster or else cry baby havoc will be all over you with his/her assumptions... you've been warned. haha

ps: fuck all versions of winOS! they all fuckin' suck and aren't worth a damn.

leemajors
05-21-2009, 01:51 PM
macosx is nice, but you can't play orange box on it without windows.

spurster
05-21-2009, 03:28 PM
What are the specs of a netbook that will run Windows 7? I bet if you compare them (especially their GPUs) with computers that were supposedly "Vista-ready" when Vista came out, that the W7-netbook will be way ahead.

koriwhat
05-21-2009, 03:39 PM

i use my computer for work related tasks only... design and such.

games go on my xbox360 and even then i only play one game and that's nba 2k series.

btw, how is orange box? i keep hearing about that game... it's been out quite a while huh? my buddy is a huge half-life player and keeps telling me to play orange box but i really am only into basketball games, primarily nba 2k series. i did rent mercenaries 2 which was kind of fun.

Cry Havoc
05-21-2009, 03:47 PM
What are the specs of a netbook that will run Windows 7? I bet if you compare them (especially their GPUs) with computers that were supposedly "Vista-ready" when Vista came out, that the W7-netbook will be way ahead.

That's the point. W7 is a much more compact operating system with a smaller footprint. I have a (close) to top of the line desktop, so I am one of the individuals who aren't really affected that much by how RAM hungry Vista is, but Windows 7 will run extremely well on netbooks, much more than Vista will, which is tough run at times on even full sized laptops.

Vista is a very good operating system if you have plenty of RAM. Otherwise, it's a resource hog that's going to give you problems at every turn. That said, now that I've got the W7 release candidate, I plan to install it sometime next week to see how it fares.

baseline bum
05-21-2009, 03:56 PM
So you only needed a $2000-3000 computer to run Vista well? What a piece of shit OS.

koriwhat
05-21-2009, 04:15 PM
So you only needed a $2000-3000 computer to run Vista well? What a piece of shit OS.

see thats the bad part of apple as well... wish apple would just sell their os for white boxes. i shelled out $2500 but i am happy with what i have now and dont expect to have to purchase another computer for a long time.

if apple would just sell their os for white boxes i wouldve just built my own computer and installed osx but sadly thats not the case.

as for vista... fuck it! same goes for the rest of microshits line of software.

Bender
05-21-2009, 06:00 PM
microshits line of software
:lol

I prefer the term Microshaft...

baseline bum
05-21-2009, 06:39 PM
see thats the bad part of apple as well... wish apple would just sell their os for white boxes. i shelled out $2500 but i am happy with what i have now and dont expect to have to purchase another computer for a long time.

if apple would just sell their os for white boxes i wouldve just built my own computer and installed osx but sadly thats not the case.

as for vista... fuck it! same goes for the rest of microshits line of software.

You should hear the way Alan Kay (the inventor of the GUI desktop and also OOP) rips Microsoft. He compares Vista to the Pyramids, built by thousands on sheer brute force.

ElNono
05-21-2009, 07:32 PM

I have run Steam under different wine versions (cider,crossover games). Half Life 2 and Portal work.
Then again, for games I have a XBox 360. I play Fallout 3, etc etc etc over there, and I don't have to deal with gfx drivers, wonky audio cards and all that.

And my Mini was $650, including 4GB RAM. I just need to buy a nice 1TB external HD to increase the room a bit, and that would probably do. Not a bad deal if you already have a nice monitor, keyboard and mouse.

leemajors
05-21-2009, 07:51 PM
I have run Steam under different wine versions (cider,crossover games). Half Life 2 and Portal work.
Then again, for games I have a XBox 360. I play Fallout 3, etc etc etc over there, and I don't have to deal with gfx drivers, wonky audio cards and all that.

And my Mini was $650, including 4GB RAM. I just need to buy a nice 1TB external HD to increase the room a bit, and that would probably do. Not a bad deal if you already have a nice monitor, keyboard and mouse.

i play fps games. they kinda suck on consoles for the most part once you learn how to use a keyboard and mouse ;)

Cry Havoc
05-21-2009, 09:27 PM

No, you just need a decent proc and at least 2 gigs of RAM. Pretty standard on most desktops and even laptops, but some still come pretty barebones these days.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Windows 7 is great. I've been running it on this computer, my laptop and my HTPC since the RC came out. The IPV6 networking is really nice, the application and driver compatibility are excellent and it's fast, stable and easy to manage. On a slower machine, you'd be better off sticking with XPSP3 and nLite.

People that blame Microsoft for viruses or spyware should probably just use a typewriter.

Evan
05-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Vista is pretty good if it came with the system.

PixelPusher
05-21-2009, 10:18 PM

http://www.osx86project.org/

koriwhat
05-22-2009, 12:57 AM
http://www.osx86project.org/

been there, done that... it's not fail proof. i want a product that is supposed to work out of the box, not a hack. it's cool though when you get osx86 loaded. fun to screw around with.

Cry Havoc
05-22-2009, 02:53 AM
On a slower machine, you'd be better off sticking with XPSP3 and nLite.

Could you elaborate on this? It's my understanding that W7 is even smaller and better optimized than XP.

I have a laptop with a 1.83 Ghz Core 2 Duo and 2 GB of RAM, and I'm deciding if I'm going to install it on my laptop or my desktop first.

Obstructed_View
05-22-2009, 03:08 AM
Could you elaborate on this? It's my understanding that W7 is even smaller and better optimized than XP.

I have a laptop with a 1.83 Ghz Core 2 Duo and 2 GB of RAM, and I'm deciding if I'm going to install it on my laptop or my desktop first.

For the record, I was talking about really old machines. My laptop's a 1.7 Pentium M with 512 meg of RAM, and 7 runs absolutely great on it.

Seat of the pants tells me my HTPC ran certain media related stuff faster with XP, but Media Center for Win7 has been hugely improved, meaning it now works. I've got more confidence in my ability to strip down XP just because I've had so much more time with it, and not having the extra overhead of the new interface would make it smaller. I don't think vLite is ready for Windows 7 yet either.