PDA

View Full Version : overrated film directors!

redskinfan
05-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Ron Howard,Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino, Why do these guys keep getting big budgets and they keep disappointing us?

balli
05-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Ron Howard makes formulaic garbage, but I'm down with Arrested Development.

I have no idea who the fuck Robert Rodriguez is. Actually check that, my guess would be that he's the dude who did Sin City? Meh. But is he highly regarded? You have to be highly regarded to be over-rated.

Tarantino takes too much heat. Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown are all gold in my book. At some point people started talking about Kill Bill like it was some sort of failure. I thought it was cool. Still do. And I think Inglorious Basterds will be good.

The director I'm not down with is that Guillermo Del Toro guy who made Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy 2, both of which were critically acclaimed, but I thought sucked. Especially Hellboy 2. I was pissed to read that New Line threw him The Hobbit.

Trainwreck2100
05-19-2009, 06:14 PM
McG why does a tool who feels he doesn't need to use a real name get ahold of the Terminator francchise, when he's the guy that directed Charlie's Angels.

Also Kil Bill was garbage

balli
05-19-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm a big Woody Allen fan and didn't see Vicky Cristina Barcelona, but he hasn't made a good movie since Small Time Crooks, which is highly under-rated. Match Point would have been all right if I didn't see it when it was called Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Though, he did go back to NYC for this new movie with Larry David in it. Larry David has never done wrong in my eyes. Ever. So I have high hopes.

ShoogarBear
05-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Woody Allen (much better when he's being silly than when he's being deep)
Peter Jackson (warmed over Spielberg clone)

ShoogarBear
05-19-2009, 06:21 PM
I have no idea who the fuck Robert Rodriguez is. Actually check that, my guess would be that he's the dude who did Sin City? Meh. But is he highly regarded? You have to be highly regarded to be over-rated.

Rodriguez is highly-regarded for his technical abilities. But, far as I can tell, he's never put together a complete movie with actual characters and true emotions.

SA210
05-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Rodriguez is highly-regarded for his technical abilities. But, far as I can tell, he's never put together a complete movie with actual characters and true emotions.

This is true.

SA210
05-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Overrated = M Night Shyamalan

sonic21
05-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Robert Rodriguez did From Dusk till Dawn, it was the 1st time i saw Salma Hayek, so he deserves some props.

redskinfan
05-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Robert Rodriguez did From Dusk till Dawn, it was the 1st time i saw Salma Hayek, so he deserves some props.

+1 Salma in that movie,, Woody Allen is still making movies? very overrated..

PixelPusher
05-19-2009, 06:45 PM

+1, although I'm hoping by now his one-trick ponies have taken him out of the "highly rated director" category.

ShoogarBear
05-19-2009, 06:47 PM

I wouldn't say "overrated" so much as "shot his wad".

CuckingFunt
05-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Ron Howard,Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino, Why do these guys keep getting big budgets and they keep disappointing us?

The problem with threads like this is that there isn't enough distinction between saying "A, B, and C are overrated directors" and saying "A, B, and C make overrated films."

I'm an unabashed fangirl when it comes to Tarantino and Rodriguez and am admittedly biased in that regard. But even as someone who isn't terribly fond of Howard's films, I can at least recognize that he is talented in the craft of filmmaking.

The director I'm not down with is that Guillermo Del Toro guy who made Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy 2, both of which were critically acclaimed, but I thought sucked. Especially Hellboy 2. I was pissed to read that New Line threw him The Hobbit.

I thought Pan's Labyrinth was amazing, but am generally more impressed with del Toro as a person, as an intellect, and in terms of imagination than I am with his filmmaking in general. I liked both of the Hellboy films a lot, but they each had their flaws. That being said, I will forever be a fan after the interviews I saw/read/heard while he was promoting Pan's Labyrinth. Dude is off the charts smart.

I'm not entirely convinced he's ever tried to. Even before collaborating on Grindhouse, he and Tarantino have been fairly unapologetic in their goal to make big budget B movies.

CuckingFunt
05-19-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm a big Woody Allen fan and didn't see Vicky Cristina Barcelona, but he hasn't made a good movie since Small Time Crooks, which is highly under-rated. Match Point would have been all right if I didn't see it when it was called Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Though, he did go back to NYC for this new movie with Larry David in it. Larry David has never done wrong in my eyes. Ever. So I have high hopes.

Vicky Christina Barcelona was the first of his films that I'd liked since Small Time Crooks, but in general I'd call his entire career since 1989 pretty spotty.

sonic21
05-19-2009, 07:25 PM
oliver stone is overrated too, he did some great movie (platoon, jfk) but his last movies are bad (alexander, WT center, W)

SA210
05-19-2009, 07:41 PM
The Farrelly brothers

The ony film I liked fom them was the original Dumb and Dumber. What they are about to do to The Three Stooges makes me want to puke so frickin' bad.

:pctoss

cornbread
05-19-2009, 07:42 PM
F--- the Ron Howard haters. He created the masterpiece that is 'Willow'. You can't overrate those skills.

SA210
05-19-2009, 07:43 PM
F--- the Ron Howard haters. He created the masterpiece that is 'Willow'. You can't overrate those skills.

:toast

fraga
05-19-2009, 07:57 PM
M Knight Shama Lama Ding Dong...

leemajors
05-19-2009, 08:20 PM
tarantino writes consistently horrible dialogue. it makes me want to puncture my eardrums. guy ritchie sucks.

angrydude
05-19-2009, 08:29 PM

Yea, but wasn't that also produced by Speilburg and or Lucas in their heyday?

It wasn't all him.

monosylab1k
05-19-2009, 08:36 PM
guy ritchie sucks.

:tu RocknRolla was unwatchably bad, and I just rewatched Snatch the other day and realized what a turd sandwich that movie is. When I first saw it I liked it, but this time around I wanted to kill myself. Other than Brad Pitt and the Desert Eagle scene, that movie is awful.

monosylab1k
05-19-2009, 08:39 PM
most overrated is James Cameron. I don't think I like any movie he's ever made.

jack sommerset
05-19-2009, 08:49 PM

I like most of those movies they direct. Can't stand Michael Bay or Brett Ratner.

jack sommerset
05-19-2009, 08:51 PM

Terminator was pretty bad ass and True Lies was ok.

manufor3
05-19-2009, 09:06 PM
michael bay

Cant_Be_Faded
05-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Michael Bay.

SA210
05-19-2009, 09:11 PM
michael bay

cornbread
05-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Yea, but wasn't that also produced by Speilburg and or Lucas in their heyday?

It wasn't all him.

There is no such thing as a big budget feature film that is "all him".

PixelPusher
05-19-2009, 09:42 PM
michael bay

Huh...well I guess critical acclaim isn't the only measure for overrating a director, so...yeah. You can throw Zack Snyder into that particular mix as well.

Bender
05-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Woody Allen (much better when he's being silly than when he's being deep)
yep. give me Bananas, or Sleeper...

mrsmaalox
05-19-2009, 11:56 PM
yep. give me Bananas, or Sleeper...

I love Mighty Aphrodite best. :)

And I have to agree with Robert Rodriguez being overrated. I liked From Dusk Till Dawn, but I think it was the performances that made it.

Jacob1983
05-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Kill Bill is one of the most overrated movies of all time. I would say David Lynch is an overrated director because of his very overrated movie Mulholland Drive.

CuckingFunt
05-20-2009, 12:39 AM
I would say David Lynch is an overrated director because of his very overrated movie Mulholland Drive.

See... I realize it's nitpicking, but this seems to be another example of where there's a difference between overrated director and overrated film. Lynch's films are nothing if not an acquired taste, but he's very skilled at making them.

Michael Bay, on the other hand, is a very good example of an overrated director. His films fail specifically in his choices as a director -- bad performances, bad pacing, uninspired shot selection, and so on.

There are plenty of good films with horrible direction, and plenty of horrible films that are well directed.

tp2021
05-20-2009, 12:46 AM

You didn't like Terminator 2 and Aliens? They were both better than the originals in my opinion.

Whisky Dog
05-20-2009, 12:52 AM
CF is the only person in here that understands that you can't judge filmmaking on whether or not you like the subject matter or the style of movie. Tarrantino and Rodriguez are in the business of making B movies on budget steriods and are fantastic at doing so. Guillermo Del Toro crafts wildly imaginative and creative features such as Pan's Labryinth and is fantastic at that as well.

The only one I'll agree with that is just a bad film maker that has been mentioned in this thread is Michael Bay. His craft is big budget action, and he sucks at big budget action. Stop being biased movie fanboys and look at the works in the context with which they are made.

David Foster Wallace
05-20-2009, 12:57 AM
"Quentin Tarantino is interested in watching somebody's ear getting cut off; David Lynch is interested in the ear."

Obstructed_View
05-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Martin Scorcese.

And Oliver Stone, even though Platoon was brilliant. JFK was absolute dogshit and he completely ruined Natural Born Killers.

I admire Robert Rodriguez because he's so clever. His movies are excercises in how to stretch a budget, plus he deserves props for getting Salma Hayek to either disrobe or drink tequila off her own leg. That said, most of his movies aren't very good.

SA210
05-20-2009, 02:40 AM
Martin Scorcese.

:wow

What? He's one of the greatest Directors of all time.

Jacob1983
05-20-2009, 03:17 AM
Michael Bay directs action movies. Action movies. He does not direct movies that are going to win numerous acting Oscars or Oscars in general.

Are you gonna tell me that Armageddon and The Rock are horrible action movies? What about Bad Boys or Transformers? Michael Bay is a great action movie director. I will admit that Pearl Harbor and The Island were probably his worst movies but he's made more blockbuster movies than bombs.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-20-2009, 04:35 AM
After seeing the posts in this thread, I'd like to add that I'm hoping to become an overrated director myself. SHIET!

L.I.T
05-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Brett Ratner
Richard Kelly

DoubtingThomas
05-20-2009, 07:57 AM
I love Ron Howard films.

DoubtingThomas
05-20-2009, 07:59 AM
CF is the only person in here that understands that you can't judge filmmaking on whether or not you like the subject matter or the style of movie. Tarrantino and Rodriguez are in the business of making B movies on budget steriods and are fantastic at doing so. Guillermo Del Toro crafts wildly imaginative and creative features such as Pan's Labryinth and is fantastic at that as well.

The only one I'll agree with that is just a bad film maker that has been mentioned in this thread is Michael Bay. His craft is big budget action, and he sucks at big budget action. Stop being biased movie fanboys and look at the works in the context with which they are made.

These threads are all about OPINION so there is no right or wrong so CF isn't right unless your opinion agrees with hers.

mrsmaalox
05-20-2009, 08:40 AM
These threads are all about OPINION so there is no right or wrong so CF isn't right unless your opinion agrees with hers.

WD and CF are correct about how to judge filmmaking, but I agree it is also correct to understand that in the context of this online forum "Overrated Film Directors" is not an objective topic. It's no different from the threads in the NBA forum about overrated basketball players; I say it's Kobe Bryant, Lakers fan would disagree. Maybe this thread's title should be "Most Overhyped Directors" or "Who Do You Believe is an Overrated Director?"

JoeChalupa
05-20-2009, 08:43 AM
I just go by simple things like did I like the movie or not and don't use any "judging" criteria other than that. KISS works for me.

mrsmaalox
05-20-2009, 08:47 AM

Both these statements in the same post are confusing to me. :dizzy

Spurminator
05-20-2009, 09:21 AM
McG why does a tool who feels he doesn't need to use a real name get ahold of the Terminator francchise, when he's the guy that directed Charlie's Angels.

I saw Terminator: Salvation the other night, and I was pretty impressed with what McG did... (though I still hate referring to a grown man as "McG")

Some of the action sequences are really, really good... several lengthy single-shot scenes and the battles/fights never seem chaotic or hard to follow like most new action movies. I have no CG expertise but I do know when something looks/feels faked, and I never got that feeling from the film... I think they did as much with real sets as they could and kept the CG at a minimum.

I don't want to overhype it because it's still essentially a b-movie popcorn flick but it was a LOT better than I expected, and I have to give McG props. Without question better than the first and third Terminators.

mrose31
05-20-2009, 09:27 AM
This is just all about taste and what you want out of a movie. See I would rather be entertained and watch a fast pasted movie with bad acting than a film with great acting that bores me to death. Don't get me wrong I like movies that have great acting and original stories as long as they are not slow. I think most of the directors we are talking about all have their great movies. A lot of times directors best movies are one of their first movies and it is hard to live up to making something that good again. I actually like R. Rodriguez and Tarantino even their new movies but can't stand directors like Woody Allen, David Lynch, Stanley Kubrick, and especially Paul Thomas Anderson. But I do realize these are very talented directors in their own way I just hate their style of movies they bore me to death. Most of my friends love their movies though. As much I hate woody allen I did watch a movie woody allen made in 70's I thought was good but I just cant stand his movies or humor.

tlongII
05-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Oliver Stone is the most overrated director in the business. His stuff is CRAP.

urunobili
05-20-2009, 09:35 AM
The Cohen's

leemajors
05-20-2009, 09:54 AM
The Cohen's

if you're talking strictly about ladykillers, intolerable cruelty, and burn after reading, then yes.

CuckingFunt
05-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Are you gonna tell me that Armageddon and The Rock are horrible action movies? What about Bad Boys or Transformers?

Yes.

CuckingFunt
05-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Paul Greengrass should go on the list. Despite critical acclaim, I think his direction has ruined the Bourne franchise.

monosylab1k
05-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Michael Bay directs action movies. Action movies. He does not direct movies that are going to win numerous acting Oscars or Oscars in general.

Are you gonna tell me that Armageddon and The Rock are horrible action movies? What about Bad Boys or Transformers? Michael Bay is a great action movie director. I will admit that Pearl Harbor and The Island were probably his worst movies but he's made more blockbuster movies than bombs.

Lots of explosions doesn't mean great action. Michael Bay is a godawful action sequence director.

Michael Mann, on the other hand, is great at directing action scenes. But overall I don't know if he's all that great of a director.

BacktoBasics
05-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Yes.
Come on Transformers and Bad Boys were pretty decent. Okay okay Bad Boys was decent but Transformers turned out to be a pretty good movie.

leemajors
05-20-2009, 10:52 AM
transformers was shiny.

CuckingFunt
05-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Come on Transformers and Bad Boys were pretty decent. Okay okay Bad Boys was decent but Transformers turned out to be a pretty good movie.

I didn't hate Transformers as much as I expected to, but I definitely had issues with the direction. Motion and explosions and shiny things are to be expected in an action flick, but I don't like when they come at the expense of being able to actually follow what's happening on the screen.

monosylab1k
05-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Transformers had a few parts that were actually funny in a good way, but mostly that movie was unintentional comedy gold.

The best part is still that they had the computer genius chick, but she's really hot, so to make her seem smarter they gave her a foreign accent.

Bender
05-20-2009, 11:07 AM
A while back my son asked what "masturbation" meant.

I asked him where he heard that, and he said "Transformers". Haven't seen it myself.

BacktoBasics
05-20-2009, 11:09 AM
I didn't hate Transformers as much as I expected to, but I definitely had issues with the direction. Motion and explosions and shiny things are to be expected in an action flick, but I don't like when they come at the expense of being able to actually follow what's happening on the screen.
I don't completely understand what you're saying. You think it was too much action? Where was it hard to follow?

CuckingFunt
05-20-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't completely understand what you're saying. You think it was too much action? Where was it hard to follow?

There were entire sections of that film that are filled with unspecified hunks of metal hitting other unspecified hunks of metal with little to no discernible difference between the hunks of metal. In general, I like the camera pulled back during action sequences, rather than up close and shaking/moving all over the place. Give me a wide shot and let things unfold.

BacktoBasics
05-20-2009, 12:03 PM
There were entire sections of that film that are filled with unspecified hunks of metal hitting other unspecified hunks of metal with little to no discernible difference between the hunks of metal. In general, I like the camera pulled back during action sequences, rather than up close and shaking/moving all over the place. Give me a wide shot and let things unfold.I got ya. Good point. The shaky camera I suppose is used to accentuate the pace being fast or intense. I'm not a fan either.

mrsmaalox
05-20-2009, 12:05 PM
There were entire sections of that film that are filled with unspecified hunks of metal hitting other unspecified hunks of metal with little to no discernible difference between the hunks of metal. In general, I like the camera pulled back during action sequences, rather than up close and shaking/moving all over the place. Give me a wide shot and let things unfold.

I think the wide shots are why I love Woody Allen so much.

baseline bum
05-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Oliver Stone. Born on the Fourth of July was maybe the worst war movie I have ever seen, and he won best director for it. As for Michael Bay, he sucks, but how can anyone call him overrated? I don't know a single person in this world who has a high opinion of him.

Jacob1983
05-20-2009, 12:31 PM
You're a fag if you don't like The Rock or Armageddon. That is all.

baseline bum
05-20-2009, 12:34 PM
You're a fag if you don't like The Rock or Armageddon. That is all.

You seriously make the stupidest posts in every forum on this board, virgin. You're a fag cause you don't like pussy. Armageddon was crap BTW.

Jacob1983
05-20-2009, 12:53 PM
So people are fags if they are waiting to have sex until marriage because of their religious beliefs? Are priests and nuns fags because they take a vow of celibacy? Anyways, Armageddon is a great action movie. The Rock is too.

baseline bum
05-20-2009, 12:59 PM
So people are fags if they are waiting to have sex until marriage because of their religious beliefs? Are priests and nuns fags because they take a vow of celibacy? Anyways, Armageddon is a great action movie. The Rock is too.

Not liking pussy is a much greater sign of being a fag then not liking a shitty movie starring a chick who looks like Steven Tyler minus the heroin.

BacktoBasics
05-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Are priests and nuns fags Lots of priests are.

ChumpDumper
05-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Oliver Stone. Born on the Fourth of July was maybe the worst war movie I have ever seen, and he won best director for it. As for Michael Bay, he sucks, but how can anyone call him overrated? I don't know a single person in this world who has a high opinion of him.I think Stone is wildly inconsistent. For every gem like Platoon or Nixon there is a stinkbomb like BotFoJ or JFK. I will always give him props for being able to recognize the dramatic potential of Rodney Dangerfield though.

balli
05-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Did anybody see Stone's "W"? Is that what it was called? Any good?

stretch
05-20-2009, 01:56 PM
what about yalls thoughts on Rob Cohen? i personally think the guy is a genius

ChumpDumper
05-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Did anybody see Stone's "W"? Is that what it was called? Any good?Stone's direction for Thandie Newton's portrayal of Condi Rice seems to have been for her to hang out at state fairs and study the chickens that play tic-tac-toe.

balli
05-20-2009, 02:04 PM
^:lol

ChumpDumper
05-20-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm being unfair -- I think Jaleel White's masterful turn as Myrtle Urkel was also an inspiration for Stone and Newton's creation of the Rice character.

Ginobilly
05-20-2009, 02:21 PM
George Lucas

leemajors
05-20-2009, 02:31 PM
what about yalls thoughts on Rob Cohen? i personally think the guy is a genius

skulls!

ShoogarBear
05-20-2009, 04:34 PM
The Cohen's

It's Coen.

And now you must die, infidel.

ShoogarBear
05-20-2009, 04:39 PM
I agree that Michael Bay can't be overrated when most people know he sucks.

Oliver Stone is wildley inconsistent. However I though JFK was a masterpiece.

But but but how did I forget the undisputed Most Overrated Director of All Time????

Brian De Palma.

He can only make a good film when he has someone like Mamet writing the script for him.

E20
05-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Steven Spielbergo.

leemajors
05-20-2009, 04:45 PM
the reviews are coming in for basterds, and they're not good:

http://jezebel.com/5262686/inglourious-basterds-is-no-masterpiece-according-to-critics

i'm sure knowles will say otherwise.

ChumpDumper
05-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Brian De Palma.

He can only make a good film when he has someone like Mamet writing the script for him.I think that DePalma is a sometimes interesting mimic of much better directors. His best movie was probably Casualties of War, which might have been a more noted movie had not the folks he ripped off already made better Vietnam movies.

Strike
05-20-2009, 04:53 PM
I like most of those movies they direct. Can't stand Michael Bay or Brett Ratner.

Couldn't agree more. I really wish they would both just fall off a cliff.

monosylab1k
05-20-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm being unfair -- I think Jaleel White's masterful turn as Myrtle Urkel was also an inspiration for Stone and Newton's creation of the Rice character.

:lol it's true. Her performance was so bad that if Thandie Newton did that performance as an impersonation on Saturday Night Live, people would have called it genius.

Strike
05-20-2009, 04:57 PM

Bad Boys was good. Transformers was shit on a shingle.

IN MY OPINION.

Strike
05-20-2009, 05:00 PM
George Lucas

Even though I am a hardcore Star Wars dork (and I do mean hardcore), I have to agree. The 2 best Star Wars movies in my opinion are The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi. Neither of those were directed by George.

American Graffiti was an excellent movie in my opinion. But that was many many years ago.

ShoogarBear
05-20-2009, 05:03 PM
I think that DePalma is a sometimes interesting mimic of much better directors. His best movie was probably Casualties of War, which might have been a more noted movie had not the folks he ripped off already made better Vietnam movies.

I thought his best movie was The Untouchables. But that was because the script and actors dominated the film. Yeah, De Palma had a bunch of directoral flourishes, but aside from the ripoff of Potemkin (one of the few times where his homages actually worked), I didn't notice his usual aping.

ChumpDumper
05-20-2009, 05:20 PM
I thought his best movie was The Untouchables. But that was because the script and actors dominated the film. Yeah, De Palma had a bunch of directoral flourishes, but aside from the ripoff of Potemkin (one of the few times where his homages actually worked), I didn't notice his usual aping.I thought a few of the actors should have been reined in a bit in The Untouchables, and there was enough Hitchcock ripoff camerawork to keep it from being his top work -- not that I didn't like the movie.

I thought CoW was the closest thing to truly being a Brian DePalma film. He must have thought the same thing, since he ended up ripping off himself by making Redacted.

SA210
05-20-2009, 05:25 PM
I thought a few of the actors should have been reined in a bit in The Untouchables, and there was enough Hitchcock ripoff camerawork to keep it from being his top work -- not that I didn't like the movie.

I thought CoW was the closest thing to truly being a Brian DePalma film. He must have thought the same thing, since he ended up ripping off himself by making Redacted.

I love DePalmas work on The Untouchables and especially Casualties of War, actually I have said on this board many times that Casualties of War is one of the most underrated films of all time.

I love that movie so damn much, and I wished to see Michael J Fox do another great drama like that. :depressed

Obstructed_View
05-20-2009, 06:28 PM
:wow

What? He's one of the greatest Directors of all time.

Yep, that's what the people say that overrate him.

Kundun was great. Taxi Driver and Goodfellas were very good. Not worthy of being in the "greatest directors of all time" conversation.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Terminator was pretty bad ass and True Lies was ok.

Aliens and The Abyss (director's cut) were great. Titanic was an impressive feat to pull off, particularly considering that everyone ridiculed him for spending so much time and money on it. He's kind of like Shyamalan in that his directorial ability is tied to the strength of whatever it is he's written.

desflood
05-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Oliver Stone.
I never had an issue with Stone until he said in an interview (I'm paraphrasing here), "I've never made a bad movie. If anyone said any of my movies were bad, they just didn't understand it."

sonic21
05-20-2009, 07:03 PM
what about tim burton? He's my favourite director, but i often hear he's overrated.

cherylsteele
05-21-2009, 01:56 AM
Even though I am a hardcore Star Wars dork (and I do mean hardcore), I have to agree. The 2 best Star Wars movies in my opinion are The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi. Neither of those were directed by George.

American Graffiti was an excellent movie in my opinion. But that was many many years ago.
On top of that, Lucas only directed 6 movies, 4 of them were in the Star Wars franchise (new hope, and the prequels, american graffitti, and thx 1138).

Lucas is mainly a producer and writer.

Bukefal
05-21-2009, 07:11 AM
Tarantino and I think Spielberg is a bit overrated too.

Spurminator
05-21-2009, 09:34 AM
:lol it's true. Her performance was so bad that if Thandie Newton did that performance as an impersonation on Saturday Night Live, people would have called it genius.

It's the single most laugh-out-loud-awful performance I've ever seen.

She's been terrible in every role she's had. I don't know how she still gets work.

LnGrrrR
05-21-2009, 09:37 AM

Rodriguez is pretty awesome. I loved From Dusk til Dawn, The Faculty, and most of Sin City, and Planet Terror had much better pacing than Deathproof (even if Deathproof had an awesome 10 minutes or so) and was more enjoyable overall.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Ron Howard deserves to be on any shit list just for the way he portrayed Max Baer in Cinderella Man.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Spielberg is a bit overrated too.
Possibly, but his top movies are pretty damn good.

Empire of the Sun
Schindler's List
Amistad
Saving Private Ryan
The Color Purple

And his next tier of efforts isn't too shabby.

Jaws
Close Encounters
ET
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jurassic Park

Ginobilly
05-21-2009, 07:15 PM
On top of that, Lucas only directed 6 movies, 4 of them were in the Star Wars franchise (new hope, and the prequels, american graffitti, and thx 1138).

Lucas is mainly a producer and writer.

yeah. I still think GL should of given the director seat to Peter Jackson(or another director) when he was making his prequels. Imagine if he had Guillermo del Toro to direct Star Wars? It probably would of been a rated R film with nudity and gore.:lol

mardigan
05-21-2009, 09:07 PM
what about tim burton? He's my favourite director, but i often hear he's overrated.

He gets a pass for Pee Wee alone.
I don't think I have ever heard Burton referred to as overrated.

Viintex
05-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Pedro Martinez

Strike
05-22-2009, 11:46 AM
yeah. I still think GL should of given the director seat to Peter Jackson(or another director) when he was making his prequels. Imagine if he had Guillermo del Toro to direct Star Wars? It probably would of been a rated R film with nudity and gore.:lol

Peter Jackson? No way! As bad as he f'd up The Lord Of The Rings, I wouldn't want him anywhere near Star Wars.

On that note, Peter Jackson is another overrated directorin my opinion.

LnGrrrR
05-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't really think Peter Jackson messed up the LotRs trilogy. I mean, there's no 'right' or 'perfect' way to condense those books into even a trilogy without leaving alot out or reworking some themes.

I did think the Liv Tyler stuff was alot of nonsense though.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2009, 01:41 PM
How was LoTR f'ed up so badly?

I thought Jackson did a decent enough job there, but I'd like to see if he could actually work without a blank-check budget again.

leemajors
05-22-2009, 02:02 PM
How was LoTR f'ed up so badly?

I thought Jackson did a decent enough job there, but I'd like to see if he could actually work without a blank-check budget again.

i have a couple friends who were really pissed that they didn't include Sauron razing the Shire. I think they were pretty much going to dislike any adaptation in the first place, but they really disliked how the third movie was handled.

ChumpDumper
05-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Ah, that's understandable to a nerdy extent.

E20
05-22-2009, 02:11 PM
i have a couple friends who were really pissed that they didn't include Sauron razing the Shire. I think they were pretty much going to dislike any adaptation in the first place, but they really disliked how the third movie was handled.

I feel you. I can't believe they did not show Tom Bambadil and his gay corny ass singy song sleepover with the Hobbits.

In RPG we would call that a refill station. Safe haven where you can stock up on supplies and rest.

LnGrrrR
05-22-2009, 02:12 PM

And I was bummed that Tom Bombadil wasn't even mentioned. But hey, the movies were long enough as is! :D

LnGrrrR
05-22-2009, 02:13 PM
I feel you. I can't believe they did not show Tom Bambadil and his gay corny ass singy song sleepover with the Hobbits.

In RPG we would call that a refill station. Safe haven where you can stock up on supplies and rest.

Damn... I JUST posted that :lmao

E20
And I was bummed that Tom Bombadil wasn't even mentioned. But hey, the movies were long enough as is! :D

WOW funny. Two people thinking the same thing at the same time LOL

E20
Damn... I JUST posted that :lmao

WOW funny. Two people thinking the same thing at the same time LOL

LOL twice :lol

LnGrrrR
05-22-2009, 02:16 PM
LOL twice :lol

Cheers! :toast

At least they have him and his stupid house in the LotRO MMO :)

BlackSwordsMan
05-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Ronnie Gun: This guy can't get a good money shot to save his life

leo_d
05-22-2009, 02:19 PM
I`ll say Stanley Kubrik.

I know that he is recognized as genius but i just get bored watching his movies.

LnGrrrR
05-22-2009, 02:31 PM
I`ll say Stanley Kubrik.

I know that he is recognized as genius but i just get bored watching his movies.

No way. Look at the movies he's done:

Shining
Dr. Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
2001 A Space Odyssey
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut

There are so many movies today they take their influence from many of the shots/scenes Kubrick filmed. Even I didn't like all the movies (though 2001 was llooooong and A Clockwork Orange ends where it begins pretty much) but how many people DON'T know the "Here's Johnny!" scene from the Shining? The music and obelisk from 2001? The many many quotable parts of Full Metal Jacket?

His influence is found often in today's cinema.

leemajors
05-22-2009, 02:38 PM

Shining
Dr. Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
2001 A Space Odyssey
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut

There are so many movies today they take their influence from many of the shots/scenes Kubrick filmed. Even I didn't like all the movies (though 2001 was llooooong and A Clockwork Orange ends where it begins pretty much) but how many people DON'T know the "Here's Johnny!" scene from the Shining? The music and obelisk from 2001? The many many quotable parts of Full Metal Jacket?

have you seen 2001 in Blu-Ray? I think it may be the best looking movie ever (outside of the ape suits). :drool:

CuckingFunt
05-22-2009, 02:55 PM
He gets a pass for Pee Wee alone.
I don't think I have ever heard Burton referred to as overrated.

I know several people who think Burton is overrated.

I think they're all nutty.

ShoogarBear
05-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I`ll say Stanley Kubrik.

You, too, must die.

Kubrick's probably my all-time favorite director.

ShoogarBear
05-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Shining
Dr. Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
2001 A Space Odyssey
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut

You didn't even mention two of his "lesser" movies from his Hollywood days: Paths of Glory and Spartacus. They aren't typical Kubrick, but Paths of Glory is on the short list of greatest war movies, and Spartacus may be the best Roman Republic/Empire movie.

Eyes Wide Shut, however, sucked the big one, proving that Tom Cruise is truly the Antichrist.

CuckingFunt
05-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Kubrick also gets credit for the good parts of A.I.: Artificial Intelligence.

LnGrrrR
05-22-2009, 03:52 PM
You didn't even mention two of his "lesser" movies from his Hollywood days: Paths of Glory and Spartacus. They aren't typical Kubrick, but Paths of Glory is on the short list of greatest war movies, and Spartacus may be the best Roman Republic/Empire movie.

Eyes Wide Shut, however, sucked the big one, proving that Tom Cruise is truly the Antichrist.

Tom Cruise is good as a villain. I haven't liked him in anything where he's not playing someone evil or heinous.

leo_d
05-22-2009, 03:56 PM
You, too, must die.

Kubrick's probably my all-time favorite director.

Im sure you`re not the only one who think that way, but I`ve never been able to watch Kubrik`s movies more than once. Maybe is not the direction itself but rather the type of movies he made.

Dr. Gonzo
05-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Bob Saget is my favorite director.