PDA

View Full Version : Duncan #3 on ESPN's top 10 #1 picks

timtonymanu
05-19-2009, 06:59 PM
behind LeBron and Shaq. really?

sonic21
05-19-2009, 07:04 PM

are you saying he should be 4th behind hakeem?

Duncan2177
05-19-2009, 07:05 PM

Duncan behind LeBron and Shaq? HA thats a joke, They need to put Duncan ahead of LeBron.

timtonymanu
05-19-2009, 07:05 PM
are you saying he should be 4th behind hakeem?

no, but he should be ahead of LeBron. was Hakeem even on the list?

DPG21920
05-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Who cares? Duncan does not.

Galileo
05-19-2009, 07:11 PM
What a joke. Duncan is better than both. Where is Lew Alcindor?

Admiral
05-19-2009, 07:33 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned it, but DRob was #4. He should not be ranked behind LeBron, either.

These are the top 10 #1 lottery picks of all time. In other words, it ranks the best 10 #1 picks since the NBA Draft Lottery started in 1984.

IronMexican
05-19-2009, 07:38 PM

I agree, Duncan should be top 2. LeBron hasn't won anything.

sa_kid20
05-19-2009, 07:39 PM

i agree, duncan should be top 2. Lebron hasn't won anything.

+1

Admiral
05-19-2009, 07:53 PM

Thanks. :tu

raspsa
05-19-2009, 08:02 PM
LeBron hasn'taccomplished anything yet. When he has multiple rings, maybe we can mentionhim in the samer company as TD.

samikeyp
05-19-2009, 08:29 PM
On second thought I think the only players on this top 10 list is the lottery teams.

Yes, top 10 lottery picks.

Horse
05-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Timmy behind shaq and lebron is the biggest fucking joke I've ever seen. He won 2 without the guaranteed hall of famers like shaq and shaq did'nt do a fucking thing for miami. We can get to lebron when he's around a little, But it's Timmy hands down. Stupid fucking espn all about popularity.

bigfan
05-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Wilt
Kareem
Timmy

nhan
05-19-2009, 11:18 PM
This has reached a new level. LeBron James over Tim Duncan...just wow. Speachless.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Exhibit A of the overwhelming amount of bullshit hype that man is getting. He's a great player no doubt, but I just DESPISE how much the media is dying to crown him the best ever before he does anything.

Man In Black
05-19-2009, 11:26 PM
WTF did you expect, we're talking about the 4 Letter Network here.
Self-serving sons a bitches would've preferred to not list Tim at all.

They know the truth, they just want to spin it their way to foll the casual fan. It's sad but they get away with that shit daily. Casual fan are like Lemmings.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-19-2009, 11:27 PM
WTF did you expect, we're talking about the 4 Letter Network here.
Self-serving sons a bitches would've preferred to not list Tim at all.

They know the truth, they just want to spin it their way to foll the casual fan. It's sad but they get away with that shit daily. Casual fan are like Lemmings.

Even a Lemming can tell the fucking difference between 4 titles and none!

Man In Black
05-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Yeah but the problem with a lemming is that they're told something different, they're more likely to believe it, rather than research and figure it out for themselves.

baseline bum
05-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Wilt actually was not a first pick overall. Back in the 60s the college game was more popular than the professional game, so in order to help the pro teams draw crowds the NBA team could give up their first round pick to draft local players. Since back in '59 Wilt's college was Kansas no NBA team has his territoral rights, but the Philadelphia Warriors made it to where since Wilt played high school ball in Philly they could use their territorial pick on him.

This was stopped a while later when a Celtic's legend became a coach at a college that fell under the Celtic's TPs area. The Lakers argued that it would not be fair how all the top players out of high school would go to Boston and then be drafted by the Celtics. So the territiorial picks were done away with. The funny thing is because the Lakers got rid of the TPs they missed out on all the UCLA players that came shortly after.

Damn. Alcindor. West. Baylor. Goodrich. Hairston.

Spurminator
05-20-2009, 12:02 AM
I'd say thats about right. Shaq came in to the Magic as the team savior. he and LeBron have really been the key part to their team's success over those years. The Spurs on the other hand were already stacked with Elliott, D-Rob, and some really good players around Duncan. Plus Shaq and LeBron have put up better numbers than Timmy. Remember, the Spurs were really close to the NBA finals before D-Rob got hurt and missed the entire season.

This does not mean I think LeBron or Shaq are better than Tim, especially Shaq, but I do think as number one picks Shaq and LeBron were more better for that team.

If we're talking about what those #1 picks did for their teams, I don't see how Tim Duncan can be anything but #1. What did Shaq do for the Magic that compares to four titles? What has LeBron done yet?

Lars
05-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Its like for the last 15 years or something, thats why Hakeem, Kareem arent on there.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2009, 01:02 AM
You'd think that ESPN of all people would remember that Lebron wasn't a lock for the number one pick. Many people thought Carmelo would be a better pro. Nobody was going to pick David, Duncan or Shaq anywhere but number one.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Maybe Im missing something but I would put Magic up there.

Yep, Magic should be ahead of James as well. I'm not old enough to remember if he was flat out the guaranteed number one pick, though.

whottt
05-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Magic Johnson was a pre lottery pick as well. The lottery came around in mid 80's due to the Rockets tanking to get the #1 pick.

Incidentally, Hakeem isn't on the list because he is the guy the Rockets tanked to get that lead to the creation of the lottery originally.

It's good to see Drob #4 but he truly should be higher, as should Duncan.

As Spurm pointed out...Shaq flat out screwed the team that drafted him. Nearly put them out of business.

I'm not a Lebron hater and truly think he is worthy of the hype, but it is too early to have him ranked #1.

As for him being a media construct...how come nobody complained this much when they did it with Jordan? It's pretty much the exact same thing. Actually, LeBron is much more accomplished at this stage of his career NBA-wise than Jordan was at the same age. Jordan had been annoited the one a good 3-4 years before he actually pulled something off, like making the finals.

When he wins they'll make a big deal about the torch being passed, just like they did with Jordan.

It's going to be funny if they make Kobe the passee...it's very unESPN like to downplay the home team that way.

Sean Cagney
05-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Bron is their darling, you have to understand that. He can be the best ever, but he is not there yet nor proved it. Tim has proven what he could do already and has 4 titles and 2 MVP's, three finals MVP's, as of now he is ahead of Bron and in an argument with Shaq at this moment as the #1. I know they left off Hakeem and Magic too, why? Are they high? They are ahead of Bron for now too IMO, until Bron wins two or three they are ahead of him for now too.

This is all just the truth.

IronMexican
05-20-2009, 01:47 AM
For those asking for Magic, Kareem, Hakeem, this is about 1985 on up(The year Ewing went #1) The start of the Lottery Era.

Sean Cagney
05-20-2009, 01:49 AM
For those asking for Magic, Kareem, Hakeem, this is about 1985 on up(The year Ewing went #1) The start of the Lottery Era.

Okay man thanks for that there bra, I knew something was up there. Magic, Kareem and Hakeem as of now >>>>> BRON, Tim is above him for now too as I know it, he is easily above Bron for now, hell he even swept him in the finals (Team game I know but come on now).

kace
05-20-2009, 03:36 AM
well, i think that if you want to rank 1st draft picks, you got to go with what they meant to the team that drafted them.

then, i would really like to know how the hell can LBJ and Shaq be ahead Tim ?????

we're talking about 4 titles on one side and none on the others sides.

mystargtr34
05-20-2009, 06:33 AM
The lottery only came into effect in 1985, the year after Hakeem went #1.

About the Top Ten, i think Duncan should be number 1 - because of what he has done for the franchise which drafted him. But in terms of player impact alone, i can live with Shaq being ahead of Duncan (interchangable in my mind), but LeBron? At least wait until he wins a championship to put him ahead of a guy who has four of them.

Chris Webber should be above Howard and Yao.

SouthTexasRancher
05-20-2009, 06:53 AM

Until Lebron leads his team to 4 NBA Championships, there is no way he is ahead of Tim. Shaq I can see because he has 4 (3 with LA & 1 with Miami) and he has some awesome career stats to back him being #1.

Also ... MJ was what, a 3rd pick? What were Bird and Magic? Wasn't one or both #1 picks? How about the old timers like Bill Russel, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, to mane just a few?

Link to the article???

King
05-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Arbitrary rankings, guys.

101A
05-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Shaq was drafted by who again?

Pretty not sure he's gonna have a Magic jersey on at the Wax museum.

Shaq cost Orlando more than he ever gave them, IMO - took them a decade to recover after he bolted.

Orlando's drafting of Shaq netted them exactly as many rings as the Spurs drafting of Schintius. The value of Tim vs. Shaq to the TEAM THAT ACTUALLY DRAFTED EACH??? Literally Night and Day.

poop
05-20-2009, 10:26 AM
i dont see what you guys are complaining about, i mean Lebron is already better than any 2 players ever, he can do anything perfect, hes won a nobel peace prize and is a decorated war hero, has cured cancer, saved puppies from a burning house, was elected president a few months ago, and all recent polling says the world finds him to be a better and more popular man than Jesus.

CubanMustGo
05-20-2009, 10:29 AM
i dont see what you guys are complaining about, i mean Lebron is already better than any 2 players ever, he can do anything perfect, hes won a nobel peace prize and is a decorated war hero, has cured cancer, saved puppies from a burning house, was elected president a few months ago, and all recent polling says the world finds him to be a better and more popular man than Jesus.

Best poop post ever.

samikeyp
05-20-2009, 10:36 AM

He could do actually do all that and Ducks would still think he's overrated.

:lol

dbreiden83080
05-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Lebron is Number 1,

AHH you gotta love ESPN.. :rolleyes

alchemist
05-20-2009, 11:47 AM
was this on their website or tv?

Bukefal
05-20-2009, 11:49 AM

I agree, Duncan should be top 2. LeBron hasn't won anything.

I agree, but in this case, lebron's case, it doesnt matter. Lebron is just magic, he can be called a god.

Horse
05-20-2009, 12:53 PM
My problem with shaq besides that he's a fucking moron is that he was a one-way player, You don't see ben wallace ranked among the great he won 4 DPOY awards as good defensively as shaq offensively. You can't be an all-time great if you can't play D.

Obstructed_View
05-20-2009, 01:24 PM
:lmao at a comparison between Shaq and Ben Wallace.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-20-2009, 01:30 PM
I'd say thats about right. Shaq came in to the Magic as the team savior. he and LeBron have really been the key part to their team's success over those years. The Spurs on the other hand were already stacked with Elliott, D-Rob, and some really good players around Duncan. Plus Shaq and LeBron have put up better numbers than Timmy. Remember, the Spurs were really close to the NBA finals before D-Rob got hurt and missed the entire season.

This does not mean I think LeBron or Shaq are better than Tim, especially Shaq, but I do think as number one picks Shaq and LeBron were more better for that team.

LeBron has to accomplish more for him to be put in front of Duncan. Duncan has been top individual, 2 time MVP, and top team player, 4 time champion. Statistically, Duncan has put together a much longer and just as accomplished body of work.

Putting him ahead of Duncan is bad enough but the fact that LeBron is put in front of Magic Johnson, Kareem abdul-Jabbar, Oscar Robertson, AND Duncan is laughable.

samikeyp
05-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Putting him ahead of Duncan is bad enough but the fact that LeBron is put in front of Magic Johnson, Kareem abdul-Jabbar, Oscar Robertson, AND Duncan is laughable.

Kareem, Magic and the Big O were not mentioned because this is a list #1 lottery picks.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Kareem, Magic and the Big O were not mentioned because this is a list #1 lottery picks.

So basically this is ESPN trying to force in the hype machine with another arbitrary piece of shit. Now they just need Stephen Smith to tell us how great this list is.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-20-2009, 04:19 PM
LINK TO THE HORSESHIT (http://videos.espn.com/m/video/22327237/top-ten-no-1-draft-picks-of-all-time.htm)

Nowhere in the transcript, title or footage does it talk about the lottery.

The title say "SportsCenter ranks the best No. 1 draft picks in NBA history"

Horse
05-20-2009, 04:25 PM
:lmao at a comparison between Shaq and Ben Wallace.
Not comparing them just saying they both only played on one-way jackass!

IronMexican
05-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Lebron is Number 1,

AHH you gotta love ESPN.. :rolleyes

Look at this cuckold. Have you read any post? Shaq was #1 and LeBron #2.

IronMexican
05-20-2009, 04:34 PM
LINK TO THE HORSESHIT (http://videos.espn.com/m/video/22327237/top-ten-no-1-draft-picks-of-all-time.htm)

Nowhere in the transcript, title or footage does it talk about the lottery.

The title say "SportsCenter ranks the best No. 1 draft picks in NBA history"

If you watched the episode of ESPN, 3:00 PST, you would know they did say lottery era. They even said "The top 10 picks of the lottery era, which was implemented to try and stop "obvious" tanking"

Obstructed_View
05-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Not comparing them just saying they both only played on one-way jackass!

Shaq made all defensive team two or three times, is seventh all time in blocked shots, and has been all-NBA a dozen times.

Ben Wallace almost averaged ten points per game one year.

Poor comparison. The only thing dumber is trying to defend it. :lol

FuzzyLumpkins
05-20-2009, 07:06 PM
If you watched the episode of ESPN, 3:00 PST, you would know they did say lottery era. They even said "The top 10 picks of the lottery era, which was implemented to try and stop "obvious" tanking"

Hey I didn't watch it and many people are corroborating this but its not stated as such on their site or in the transcript. Its a stupid list either way.

Galileo
05-20-2009, 07:26 PM
# 1 Lottery Picks

Never Made All-star team (7)

Derrick Rose (probably will)

Greg Oden (might never)

Andrea Bargnani (could, but probably won't)

Andrew Bogut (should, unless he continues to have injuries)

Kwame Brown

Michael Olowokandi

Joe Smith

Became an All-Star, no ring (13)

Dwight Howard

LeBron James

Yao Ming

Kenyon Martin

Elton Brand

Allen Iverson

Glenn Robinson

Chris Webber

Larry Johnson

Derrick Coleman

Pervis Ellison

Danny Manning

Brad Daugherty

Patrick Ewing

Won a Ring & Became an All-star (3)

Tim Duncan

Shaquille O'Neal

David Robinson

Winning the lottery does not mean you won the jackpot.

Spursfan092120
05-20-2009, 08:37 PM

Can't agree with you on this one, bro...Timmy couldn't have been more perfect for the Spurs at the time. You had a guy in David who's health was fading after his injuries..and we needed a great big...that's why they turned down Boston offering 8 players for that draft pick...It was EXACTLY what San Antonio needed...Shaq, Duncan, and Hakeem should have been ahead of Lebron...at least at this point..they've all won titles.

sexinthatsx
05-20-2009, 11:23 PM
They're probably basing these top 10 picks off of strictly statistics, not factoring rings into account.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2009, 01:18 AM
Can't agree with you on this one, bro...Timmy couldn't have been more perfect for the Spurs at the time. You had a guy in David who's health was fading after his injuries..and we needed a great big...that's why they turned down Boston offering 8 players for that draft pick...It was EXACTLY what San Antonio needed...Shaq, Duncan, and Hakeem should have been ahead of Lebron...at least at this point..they've all won titles.

Hakeem was the second best player in his own draft.

poop
05-21-2009, 01:32 AM
lebron ahead of Hakeem....LMFAO

Blackjack
05-21-2009, 01:44 AM
Hakeem was the second best player in his own draft.

And not a part of the lottery-format.

I'm too lazy at the moment to go back and read all of the posts in this thread but I'm sure I'm in the majority on this board who think Tim should be ahead of LeBron and probably ahead of Shaq.

Tim only has the highest winning percentage in all of sports and four rings since joining the Spurs, so I guess I can understand how they came to this conclusion.

I mean, shit, Shaq took his team to the finals once(and got swept) before leaving via free-agency, Lebron made a finals appearance(where he got swept; thanks Timmy;)), and if LeBron wins the title this year?

He'll only have one less regular season mvp, one less finals mvp, and one less title than Tim did in his first six years.

Yeah, those ESPN guy's know what their talking about.

I can't believe I ever actually questioned them.:hat

KidCongo
05-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Duncan should be above LeBron.

Some Cavs fans were arguing LBJ shoulda been no.1, so fuckin dumb.

Gervin44Silas13
05-21-2009, 08:29 AM
ESPN list is such a crock of shit....

Tim Should be #1 due to his merits:
1. Longivety with the Spurs
2. Consecutive winning seasons since that draft over .500
3. 4 NBA Titles
4. 2 NBA MVP's
5. 1 All-Star MVP

Queen James hasn't proven shit....yet
..he may leave the mistake by the lake to the city that never sleeps
(which I hope he dosen't, that would devastate Cleveland)

Shaq has his Merits too but you have to put a * on that 2002 Championship (The Lakers cheated 'memba?)