PDA

View Full Version : Michael Vick Getting Out, Who Should Pick Him Up?

Whisky Dog
05-20-2009, 12:13 AM
First of all, there's absolutely no doubt somebody is going to pick Vick up at some point if he has even 3/4ths of his former ability left. He's a talent, and now he's a sympathetic figure because of one big distinction between him and the baseball steroid villians - he paid his dues. He got punished and did 2 years of time, and people forgive after that and as long as he keeps his nose clean and does some charity work his sympathetic nature will force the commish to let him play and will allow an owner to sign him.

I say New Orleans. He'd make a killer combo with the talents of Bush and he'd be the ultimate wildcat threat. Also, if anyone can embrace Vick it's the hoodlum fanbase in New Orleans. He'd be their hero.

manufan10
05-20-2009, 08:57 AM
I think any team that is desperate for a QB. The Vikings, Lions, 49ers, Rams, and anyone else who might be looking for a QB. I can even see the Raiders picking him up. If you want to go for irony I say the Cleveland Browns should pick him up. So Vick can play at the Dog Pound for 8 games out of the year.

dickface
05-20-2009, 09:26 AM
lol is there any question he'll be a Raider or a Cowboy?

samikeyp
05-20-2009, 09:56 AM
I don't think he will be a Cowboy. Jerry has to fill up his new stadium so the last thing he needs is people protesting outside of it. He does not need anymore bad publicity. I could see the Raiders do it. Seattle was mentioned last night as a possibility because of Jim Mora jr's relationship with Vick in Atlanta. NE was mentioned too but I don't see that one happening.

manufan10
05-20-2009, 10:08 AM
If Dallas was going to do that, then why trade Henry for Jon Kitna? I'm not suggesting that Jon Kitna is better than Michael Vick, but the trade then wouldn't make sense. Everyone knew that Vick was going to be released. I'd rather have Romo as a QB over Vick any day.

We still don't even know if Vick is going to be reinstated. He should be, but that doesn't mean Goodell is going to do it.

samikeyp
05-20-2009, 10:09 AM
If Dallas was going to do that, then why trade Henry for Jon Kitna? I'm not suggesting that Jon Kitna is better than Michael Vick, but the trade then wouldn't make sense. Everyone knew that Vick was going to be released. I'd rather have Romo as a QB over Vick any day.

We still don't even know if Vick is going to be reinstated. He should be, but that doesn't mean Goodell is going to do it.

Also why draft McGee? Yeah I don't see him in Dallas.

Whisky Dog
05-20-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't think there will be any protests. The guy got punished hard by doing 2 years and becoming financially ruined. People tend to be sympathetic to that. Plus, the emotion from his situation is long gone.

manufan10
05-20-2009, 10:44 AM
PETA likes to protest over anything. This would give them a good reason to do it.

I've heard rumors that around the league teams are thinking about putting Vick as a RB. I don't know if that would work, but it makes sense. He is a better runner than throwing the ball, but I don't think it would be an easy transition.

samikeyp
05-20-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't think there will be any protests. The guy got punished hard by doing 2 years and becoming financially ruined. People tend to be sympathetic to that. Plus, the emotion from his situation is long gone.

Sadly, that doesn't matter to a lot of people. I can almost guarantee that PETA and their minions will be camped out wherever he goes.

monosylab1k
05-20-2009, 11:33 AM
I'd love for New England to go after him. If he can still run and cut like he used to, that's talent that very few ppl in the NFL have.

Dr. Gonzo
05-20-2009, 12:13 PM
I really do see the Cowboys making a run at him. Jerry Jones loves the attention, good or bad and he can be serviceable as a Kordell Stewart type weapon. I doubt he sees a lot of time at Qb.

mardigan
05-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Also why draft McGee? Yeah I don't see him in Dallas.

Well apparently they have been looking for a wildcat type player, and who knows what position he will actually play when he does play. I think it is unlikely as well, but you never know with Double J.

samikeyp
05-20-2009, 12:19 PM
I really do see the Cowboys making a run at him. Jerry Jones loves the attention, good or bad and he can be serviceable as a Kordell Stewart type weapon. I doubt he sees a lot of time at Qb.

There is a difference though between the negative publicity the Pac-Man and Tank signings brought and what Vick will bring. Then again, Leonard Little killed someone and still got to play so who knows?

samikeyp
05-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Well apparently they have been looking for a wildcat type player, and who knows what position he will actually play when he does play. I think it is unlikely as well, but you never know with Double J.

I would use Felix Jones in that capacity. I think he would do really well. I hope he is full strength. That kid is good.

dbreiden83080
05-20-2009, 12:45 PM
He got punished and did 2 years of time, and people forgive after that and as long as he keeps his nose clean and does some charity work his sympathetic nature will force the commish to let him play and will allow an owner to sign him.

"sympathetic nature", WHAT!! He was largely involved a 6 year-long dog fighting operation, that involved abuse, torture and execution of under-performing dogs after they were of no use to him anymore. As far as i am concerned the guys on steroids look like angels and this clown should still be locked up.. Your right, someone will be dumb enough to pick him up but he will be of no use to them, just a headache. He was a mediocre QB before he was locked up and he'll be likely even worse now. What are the odds him learning a new position will be of much use to anyone? Not much. All he'll do is play badly, and cause a firestorm of unwanted media coverage and controversy in the locker room..

dbreiden83080
05-20-2009, 12:47 PM

Animal rights activitists will be all over any team that signs him as will Dog lovers everywhere. Nobody will sign this fool controversy free and he'll suck for them as a player anyway..

jack sommerset
05-20-2009, 01:02 PM
I know this is not popular but I don't care. He should have been fined a few thousand dollars and sent on his way. Of course the NFL should let him back in and any team that needs a QB should sign his ass to big $.

dirk4mvp
05-20-2009, 01:03 PM
I hope he comes back and succeeds.

Whisky Dog
05-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Trust me... PETA will protest a bit but they over protest everything so it won't last long and won't hold much weight. There won't be much more than that for any team that signs the guy. No team is going to lose fans over it as being a dog lover takes a back seat to most guy's desire to see their NFL team succeed. If he still has his ability physically then there's an H-Back like spot for him on every NFL team and a QB spot on many of them. His skill set is extremely rare and the advantage he gives a team will be well worth a little PETA protest. Football is a business, and utilizing Vick to win games makes money.

Whisky Dog
05-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Besides, this isn't a Pacman/TO type issue. The guy isn't a locker room chemistry killer, in fact he proved as a capable leader leading his team to the NFC Championship game.

samikeyp
05-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Well, it looks like the Humane Society might be on his side.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/05/19/vick.humane.society/index.html

manufan10
05-20-2009, 02:05 PM
"I can't support a team that threw a player under the bus."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/090520&sportCat=nfl

I can't believe the ignorance of some fans. The Falcons didn't throw Michael Vick under the bus. He threw himself there. The Falcons were not the ones running an illegal gambling ring with dog fighting/killing dogs. Arthur Blank was as hurt as anybody. Some people are downright stupid sometimes. The only person at fault in this situation is Michael Vick/the guys involved.

JudynTX
05-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Please go to the Lions.

Thomas82
05-20-2009, 06:02 PM
I see 4 realistic possibilities for him: the Seahawks, Rams, 49ers, Patriots.

samikeyp
05-20-2009, 08:13 PM
I see 4 realistic possibilities for him: the Seahawks, Rams, 49ers, Patriots.

The exact ones John Clayton mentioned on ESPN last night, not to mention half the internet.

Spursfan092120
05-20-2009, 08:14 PM
lol is there any question he'll be a Raider or a Cowboy?
lol..so funny..and so original..nobody's ever said that before. Cowboys dumped Pacman Jones, Tank Williams, and dropped TO because of the image they have, even though when it comes to teams with former criminals, Dallas is ranked like 20th in the NFL...there are a LOT of teams with more criminals than Dallas. Number one is the Miami Dolphins. Dallas is just in the limelight more, and their players that were involved in crime were higher profile players. Get a grip on the hatin.

Spursfan092120
05-20-2009, 08:15 PM

lol..so funny..and so original..nobody's ever said that before. Cowboys dumped Pacman Jones, Tank Williams, and dropped TO because of the image they have, even though when it comes to teams with former criminals, Dallas is ranked like 20th in the NFL...there are a LOT of teams with more criminals than Dallas. Number one is the Miami Dolphins. Dallas is just in the limelight more, and their players that were involved in crime were higher profile players. Get a grip on the hatin.

Spursfan092120
05-20-2009, 08:20 PM
2 words..Leonard Little. Dude got drunk behind the wheel and killed a lady in St. Louis...and didn't even learn after that..got another DWI shortly thereafter. Nobody even mentions this. He still plays. Are you trying to tell me that getting behind the wheel drunk and killing someone isn't as bad as fighting dogs? Now come on..I love animals..but killing a human being is a LOT worse.

Spurlady
05-20-2009, 09:26 PM
He should be allowed to try for a contract. He accepted his punishment and served his time. If he is still good enough to play in the NFL then he should be able to. If he doesn't have enough talent anymore, then no team will pick him up.

Spursfan092120
05-20-2009, 09:45 PM
He should be allowed to try for a contract. He accepted his punishment and served his time. If he is still good enough to play in the NFL then he should be able to. If he doesn't have enough talent anymore, then no team will pick him up.
:tu exactly.

manufan10
05-21-2009, 09:11 AM

Don't forget about the Cincinnati Bengals. Their team is full of criminals.

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Don't forget about the Cincinnati Bengals. Their team is full of criminals.

No shit. Was it last season or 2007 that they had 9 guys arrested at various times? Even if you include the Pac-Man and Tank signings, Dallas hasn't ever had that many guys in trouble at once.

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Found it.

10 Bengals on the roster at the time of their arrest, were arrested in a 14-month period February 06 to June 07.

Spursfan092120
05-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Found it.

10 Bengals on the roster at the time of their arrest, were arrested in a 14-month period February 06 to June 07.
Since 2000, 23 Cincinnati Bengals have been arrested, 21 Minnesota Vikings have been arrested, and 19 Kansas City Chiefs. Pittsburg Steelers have 14 players. Dallas has had 8. And only 3 of the charges actually stuck. Two of them were public intoxication and one was DWI...Marcus Coleman. He was immediately cut from the team. Yet Leonard Little hits a lady with a car during a DWI...then gets ANOTHER DWI after this, and he still plays for St. Louis. I don't get it. If I drove drunk and killed someone, I don't think I could ever even LOOK at alcohol again, let alone drink it...AND get behind the wheel again AFTER drinking. Giants have 11 players, Redskins have 9, Falcons have 10, Ravens have 14, Even the good ol sweet Patriots have 11. I could go on and on. Dallas is one of the lowest on the list. Guess they're not the worst, now are they? :)

Spursfan092120
05-21-2009, 01:14 PM
But can you run the 40 in 4.4? Can you bench 350? Can you go up against 300 lb men week in and week out and stay healthy? Nope. That's the difference between athletes and us. We are replaceable, they aren't. It sucks, but it's the truth.
Oh, I know..I'm just tired of everyone acting like Dallas is the "All Criminal" team, when they are one of the farthest down on the list when it comes to teams with criminals.

manufan10
05-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Oh, I know..I'm just tired of everyone acting like Dallas is the "All Criminal" team, when they are one of the farthest down on the list when it comes to teams with criminals.

+1

It's funny, I didn't know the Giants had that many people being arrested. They're one of the teams where the fans constantly accuse the Cowboys of being the criminals.

Spursfan092120
05-21-2009, 01:31 PM
+1

It's funny, I didn't know the Giants had that many people being arrested. They're one of the teams where the fans constantly accuse the Cowboys of being the criminals.
I know..that's why I looked them up. :)

manufan10
05-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Well they did have this guy:

http://www.motheringhut.com/images/art_plaxico_shooting.jpg

Who Red Foreman explains pretty damn good:

http://www.profile-comments.com/images/posters/images/dumb.jpg

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 01:48 PM
+1

Very true. It goes back to the Triplets days too and even before. Michael Irvin got busted for drugs and was questioned (but no charges were filed) about a fight in training camp with Everett McIvor and Deion Sanders got arrested for fishing in a restricted area. That was it and somehow two players makes an entire organization and all of its players for the rest of time bad. A lot of the dustups with the law over the years attributed to Cowboys players were actually to former players. Harvey Martin was arrested in 1996 for domestic violence and cocaine possesion. His playing days in Dallas ended in 1983. How is that another example of "Cowboys player gone bad"? It's not. If Tony Romo smacks Jessica Simpson while a member of the Cowboys and someone wants to drop the "another criminal Cowboy" card, fine but it doesn't apply to someone who is not on the team.

Curious on your stats Spursfan092120, was that of players who were on those teams rosters at the time of arrest? Thanks. :toast

urunobili
05-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Vikings no brainer...

Spursfan092120
05-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Vikings no brainer...
R7iX9X5-RQ0

Spursfan092120
05-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Cowboys have no interest in Vick

By JEFF CAPLAN
[email protected]

http://media.star-telegram.com/smedia/2009/05/21/20/535-0521_vick.embedded.prod_affiliate.58.jpg

ARLINGTON -- Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he has no interest in suspended Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick, who was released from federal prison Wednesday after being convicted for financing a dogfighting conspiracy.
"(Tony) Romo is our guy," said Jones, who was in Arlington Thursday for the unveiling of a video board in the new Cowboys Stadium.
Romo is a two-time Pro Bowler who took over the starting job in 2006. His backups are Jon Kitna, who was acquired in the off-season trade with Detroit, and rookie fourth-round pick Stephen McGee of Texas A&M.
Vick began serving two months of home confinement on Thursday to complete a 23-month sentence.

Spursfan092120
05-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Curious on your stats Spursfan092120, was that of players who were on those teams rosters at the time of arrest? Thanks. :toast

Yes...they are players on the rosters at time of arrest.

manufan10
05-22-2009, 08:46 AM
ESPN Insider is saying that the Saints are looking at signing Vick. He won't be QB, but they'll use him like the Steelers used Kordell at the beginning of his career. A wide receiver, running the ball, anything to get the ball in his hands.

Spursfan092120
05-22-2009, 01:23 PM
ESPN Insider is saying that the Saints are looking at signing Vick. He won't be QB, but they'll use him like the Steelers used Kordell at the beginning of his career. A wide receiver, running the ball, anything to get the ball in his hands.
Hmm..that'd be the only way he'd end up somewhere..wonder if he's still got it though. I'm sure with the widespread newfound popularity of the Wildcat offense, someone will snatch him up...someone who is bad enough where bad publicity is not a turnoff.

PixelPusher
05-22-2009, 11:39 PM
All of the "Vick to 49ers?" stories made me throw up in my mouth.

samikeyp
05-23-2009, 06:42 AM
All of the "Vick to 49ers?" stories made me throw up in my mouth.

Yeah but you know if he stepped out of line, Singletary could and would beat his ass!

manufan10
05-25-2009, 02:12 PM
John Clayton from espn.com thinks he would be a good fit in New England. He says that they're in need of a backup, and since it's helped troubled players in the past it would be a good fit. The troubled players being Randy Moss and Corey Dillon. It's going to be interesting to see where he winds up, and at what position.