PDA

View Full Version : Mason > JR?

Blake
05-20-2009, 09:24 AM
knowing what we know now, salaries aside, did the Spurs end up better off with Mason than with JR?

Mel_13
05-20-2009, 09:30 AM
knowing what we know now, salaries aside, did the Spurs end up better off with Mason than with JR?

what's the point of comparing Mason to a player that was not available to the Spurs? It's not as is they could have had either one and chose Mason. Mason was available to them and Smith was not.

Blake
05-20-2009, 09:36 AM
what's the point of comparing Mason to a player that was not available to the Spurs? It's not as is they could have had either one and chose Mason. Mason was available to them and Smith was not.

what's the point of you being here?

Mel_13
05-20-2009, 09:40 AM
what's the point of you being here?

Sorry to have offended your sensitive nature. But the question still stands. You can compare any player on the Spurs roster to any player in the NBA and discuss which would be a better fit on the roster, but you pose the question as if the Spurs chose between two, which they didn't.

urunobili
05-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Skills wise I'm not so sure...

koriwhat
05-20-2009, 09:49 AM
id rather have smith... but i do like money ma$e on our squad.

poop
05-20-2009, 10:18 AM
smith has made a million times more big playoff shots.

poop
05-20-2009, 10:18 AM
plus he can get to the rim and finish

Blake
05-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Sorry to have offended your sensitive nature. But the question still stands. You can compare any player on the Spurs roster to any player in the NBA and discuss which would be a better fit on the roster, but you pose the question as if the Spurs chose between two, which they didn't.

I didn't pose the question as if the Spurs could choose between the two.

The Spurs wanted JR and Magette but settled for Mason. I'm wondering if they ended up with the better player at the end of the day even though they couldn't get JR.

Sorry you misread it. My question still stands too: "what's the point of you being here?"

Mel_13
05-20-2009, 11:17 AM
I didn't pose the question as if the Spurs could choose between the two.

The Spurs wanted JR and Magette but settled for Mason. I'm wondering if they ended up with the better player at the end of the day even though they couldn't get JR.

Sorry you misread it. My question still stands too: "what's the point of you being here?"

You could have just said that in answer to the first question, instead of taking offense when none was given. And now you answer the question and still feel the need to be a smartass. Nice job.

mathbzh
05-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Mason >>>> JR

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:c8-Q2MfyP2oajM:http://images.easyart.com/i/prints/rw/lg/7/3/Maxi-Posters-Dallas---Who-shot-jr-73387.jpg

tmtcsc
05-20-2009, 11:47 AM
I know Mason didn't show up for the playoffs.

Blake
05-20-2009, 11:51 AM
You could have just said that in answer to the first question, instead of taking offense when none was given. And now you answer the question and still feel the need to be a smartass. Nice job.

You misread my taking offense when none was taken. I'm a smartass on a regular basis.

I didn't have to say anything extra in the op. If you misread it, that's your problem and that makes twice now in just one thread. Nice job.

JoshO501
05-20-2009, 12:02 PM
smith has made a million times more big playoff shots.

such as?

TDomination
05-20-2009, 12:10 PM
I think Mason fits better with the Spurs.

Smith has gotten better but he is still a bit frenetic on offense. He seems to be hitting a lot more shots now, but I would like him more if he was a bit more controlled. Though he wouldn't be JR Smith if he was controlled.

If Mason could penetrate better than he would definitely be the better player. But as of right now, its a wash for me.

benefactor
05-20-2009, 12:19 PM
J.R. is the better player, but Mason is better for us. I just don't see J.R. working under Pop.

Mel_13
05-20-2009, 12:56 PM
You misread my taking offense when none was taken. I'm a smartass on a regular basis.

I didn't have to say anything extra in the op. If you misread it, that's your problem and that makes twice now in just one thread. Nice job.

OK. My apologies for misreading your OP. My further apologies for asking for clarification. My thanks to you for providing an answer, anyway. My further thanks for letting me know that you are a smartass on a regular basis. That puts a totally different spin on your response to my initial inquiry. For some reason which escapes me, my friends and family frequently use that same word to describe me. I've been reading these boards for years and have a pretty good read on most of the regular posters, but I was unfamiliar with your work. I probably could have gained some insight if I had just read the words in your avatar.

Well, I'll leave this thread to you. Perhaps we'll have the chance to exchange pleasantries in the future. :toast

Brazil
05-20-2009, 03:26 PM
^^ We have alreadry a lot of work with lakers fans no need to fight each other :)

poop
05-20-2009, 04:01 PM
lot of homers in this thread... JR has had so far in the playoffs lots of big games and huge shots. he is every bit as good a shooter as mason and he is far superior at getting to the rim and finishing.

mason did not show up at all in ANY of our playoff games.

bigfan
05-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Ill keep Mason, JR is probably more talented but hes an asshole.

BlackBellamy
05-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Mason should not play the point. He is a dead on spot up shooter. J.R. has to jack up a whole lot of shots to get going, but has it all over R.M.J. in being a straight up athlete. I think Pop would have issue with Smith eventually. Roger seems happy just to play in the league and be an option, Smith has an inflated ego. Get some more athleticism around Roger and he provides a huge upside to a club, not to mention the ice-water in his veins on an open shot. As far as Mason not showing up for the playoffs, I think it was more a problem in coaching (the majority of our plays involve an initial slash by our 1 or at least the ability to make a defender bite on the understanding that our 1 could make his own play, which is not R.M.J.'s game to say the least (and we continually played him at the back-up point this post season)). Ultimately, I'd say that we're better off with Mason, but their games would compliment each other (fulfill each other's lacking) if we could've signed both.

exstatic
05-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Skills wise I'm not so sure...

Skill-wise, it isn't even close. JR Smith is head and shoulders above Mase. Unfortunately, he's a dumbass.

jag
05-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Skill-wise, it isn't even close. JR Smith is head and shoulders above Mase. Unfortunately, he's a dumbass.
You'd take JR in a heartbeat over mason...and so would I...and so would pop.

Cant_Be_Faded
05-20-2009, 11:15 PM
JR > RMJ

this is a no brainer stop being such fucking homers

NewJerSpur
05-20-2009, 11:43 PM
One has a shot that arcs, the other has a shot that's flat....interesting.

exstatic
05-21-2009, 12:04 AM
You'd take JR in a heartbeat over mason...and so would I...and so would pop.

Oh, absolutely. Stephen Jackson had that dumbass gene, too. Pair Parker with Smith, and you have a back court to take you WELL into the next decade.

He's a premier athlete, can ACTUALLY play backup PG, is taller than Mase, has more points, rebounds, assists, steals, and plays 3 less minutes. He also never double clutches and passes up the shot. His FG% is better, he can finish at the rim, and only shoots 2% less from the arc, the only edge Mase has on him.

Manudona
05-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Roger Mason Jr. We've got both of them!

Cant_Be_Faded
05-21-2009, 12:53 AM
he can finish at the rim

/thread x 1000000

Sean Cagney
05-21-2009, 11:12 PM
JR, he isn't afraid to gun it in a playoff game and miss it, but he makes some good loooooooong threes as well.

Overall definitely JR, he is a better slasher too, just overall better IMO.

angelbelow
05-21-2009, 11:14 PM
mason's brains>smith's... thats for sure. but basketball wise jr is obviously more talented.

pawe
05-22-2009, 12:09 AM
but but but JR crossed the circle on the jump ball.

HarlemHeat37
05-22-2009, 12:35 AM
I'll take Mason, you guys can have Smith..

it seems like Spurs fans have forgotten Mason pre-PG experiment..

the reason JR looks so good to you guys is because you've been brainwashed by the Spurs lack of a slashing SF..

once(hopefully) the Spurs address the SF issue in this off-season with an athletic player, and once George is playing PG(again, hopefully), Mason will be back to his natural position, where he clearly played well for us..

no, he isn't a good slasher..but he's a great shooter, he can shoot off the dribble, he's great at playing off screens, he's a smart player, he's very coachable and mature..

JR Smith is very talented, but he's actually a huge liability on the court when he isn't making shots..he's the ultimate good/bad guy, as anybody that has watched the 1st 2 games of the Lakers series(or anybody that knows JR Smith) has seen..he actually hurts his team when he isn't making shots, because he doesn't play D, and he's arguably the worst decision-maker in the NBA..Pop wouldn't work well with a guy like that..

I'm not worried about Mason at all..

ElNono
05-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Did anybody see JR tonight with a careless turnover in the last minute of the game?
He's a brainless chucker...

Sean Cagney
05-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Did anybody see JR tonight with a careless turnover in the last minute of the game?
He's a brainless chucker...

Yes true, but did you see Masons shot go south in the playoffs sides some in gmae one? He was just useless out there afterwards and did NOTHING, did you forget that? Okay, did you see JR in round 2 vs. Dallas? Atleats one showed up for some of the playoffs for a series or so, one did not do a thing.

You want to point out a turnover and brainless but forget what Mase did in the 5 games, thats on you.

NewJerSpur
05-22-2009, 01:33 AM
Fans would be hooping and hollaring the first time Smith took and missed 3 consecutive shots and committed a dumb foul to boot. The kid may be athletic, but he ain't smart.