View Full Version : Wetbacks!

Clandestino
03-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Mexico 2, United States 1

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer
March 27, 2005

AP - Mar 27, 3:53 pm EST
More Photos

MEXICO CITY (AP) -- When the final whistle blew that completed Mexico's 2-1 win over the United States, the huge crowd of about 110,000 in Azteca Stadium seemed both happy and relieved.

By winning Sunday's World Cup qualifier, Los Tricolores avenged a painful loss three years ago, restored their status as the top team in the region and kept up a 68-year tradition of never losing to the Americans at home.

``To get a result in Azteca is always pretty difficult,'' U.S. midfielder Eddie Lewis said. ``Maybe we're just not quite ready yet.''

Lewis scored the lone U.S. goal in the 59th minute off a feed from Landon Donovan, the first goal in Mexico for the Americans since 1984. Mexico imposed its will for most of the game, getting goals from Jared Borgetti and Antonio Naelson during a four-minute span midway through the first half.

For now, Mexico City's 7,200-foot altitude remains too high an obstacle for the U.S. team to climb. The Americans are 0-22-1 in Mexico, getting their lone point from a 0-0 tie in a 1997 qualifier.

``We were always taking the initiative,'' said Mexico coach Ricardo Lavolpe, who received a congratulatory call from President Vicente Fox. ``For 90 minutes, there was only one team on the field.''

There was some booing and whistling during ``The Star-Spangled Banner'' but the Americans expected worse. After the game, about 100 people gathered for a peaceful celebration near Mexico City's Angel of Independence monument. A few first tried to burn, then trampled a small American flag while chanting ``Osama! Osama!''

Mexico had felt the pressure since its 2-0 loss to the United States in the second round of the 2002 World Cup, a game that dented national pride. But that match was played in South Korea, not Mexico, where the Tricolores are 54-1-4.

A large banner in Estadio Azteca's upper deck proclaimed: ``El Gigante No Ha Muerto,'' or ``The Giant Is Not Dead Yet.'' And Los Tricolores proved that right: Mexico ended both the Americans' 16-game unbeaten streak and their 31-game run without a loss against regional rivals.

``We weren't lucky enough to make it a blowout,'' Lavolpe said.

After a lackluster opening 20 minutes, Mexico began to play the ball wide and dominate, leaving the U.S. team gasping for air.

``Our players shut down the last 15 minutes of the first half, and that cost us the game,'' U.S. coach Bruce Arena said. ``They were completely done at the 30-minute mark, obviously recovered a bit at halftime and were able to play a little bit better in the second half.''

Arena started just one forward, Eddie Johnson, and used Oguchi Onyewu in central defense because Eddie Pope is injured. The Americans, who prepared for the altitude by practicing in Colorado Springs, Colo., were overly cautious, seemingly afraid to waste energy.

``It's hard because you're just too tired,'' Donovan said. ``You know if you're going to run 40, 50 yards when you have the ball, you going to (have to) get back.''

Mexico went ahead in the 30th minute after Jose Fonseca brought the ball into the penalty area and tipped it to Salvador Carmona, who looped it to Jaime Lozano at the far post. As goalkeeper Kasey Keller raced to cover, Lozano headed the ball back across to Borgetti, who got by Onyewu and headed it in from 3 yards out.

``When they got the first one in, I think we just died a little,'' Donovan said.

With the U.S. defense still looking disorganized in the 33rd minute, Cuahutemoc Blanco sent a long pass from midfield to Borgetti, who headed the ball in front of the goal. With Keller coming out, Naelson banged the ball in off the far post from 11 yards.

``That was a really poor goal, one that I'm sure that we'll see two or three times in the next couple of days to try to fix that,'' Keller said.

Mexico could have scored more but wasted opportunities.

``Coming in at half the way we were playing, my main concern was let's make sure we don't get blown out,'' Donovan said.

Keller made a leaping save on Pavel Pardo in the second half, then dived to knock away a free kick by Ramon Morales from just outside the penalty area. Lewis had the first good U.S. chance in the 53rd minute but was stopped by goalkeeper Oswaldo Sanchez on a point-blank shot. After Lewis scored on a left-footed shot, the Americans never came close to getting the tying goal.

``We sort of committed our big sin in Mexico City by just dropping off and letting them have the game,'' Lewis said. ``We started too tentatively, too conservatively, I think we gave Mexico too much respect.''

Mexico (2-0) leads the final round of qualifying in the North and Central American and Caribbean region with six points, two ahead of Guatemala (1-0-1) and three in front of the United States and Costa Rica (both 1-1). The top three nations qualify for the 2006 tournament in Germany, and the fourth-place team goes to a playoff.

While Mexican fans outside Azteca were waving their tricolor flags, the U.S. team was off to the airport for the flight to Birmingham, Ala., and Wednesday's qualifier against Guatemala. That's the first home game for the Americans in the 10-game final round.

``Now,'' Keller said, ``the real pressure is on.''

JoeChalupa
03-27-2005, 07:59 PM
:rolleyes

MannyIsGod
03-27-2005, 08:33 PM
Actually, considering they don't want to cross the Rio Grande, your insult is pretty stupid.

I wonder what reason could Mexicans have for not liking the United States? I wonder.

Tell me again, why are all the states in the Southwest named in Spanish?

03-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Texas is a Spanish name? Coulda fooled me.

TEXAS, ORIGIN OF NAME. The word texas (tejas, tayshas, texias, thecas?, techan, teysas, techas?) had wide usage among the Indians of East Texas even before the coming of the Spanish, whose various transcriptions and interpretations gave rise to many theories about the meaning.

Link (http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/TT/pft4.html)

samikeyp
03-27-2005, 09:00 PM
There was some booing and whistling during ``The Star-Spangled Banner'' but the Americans expected worse. After the game, about 100 people gathered for a peaceful celebration near Mexico City's Angel of Independence monument. A few first tried to burn, then trampled a small American flag while chanting ``Osama! Osama!''

100 out of 110,000? sounds like a few were being unsportsmanlike along with their coach but the majority were celebrating a good win. Nothing wrong with that. You can't condemn all for the actions of a small few.

TastesLikeChicken
03-27-2005, 09:11 PM
You can't condemn all for the actions of a small few.

Unless of course your G.W. , then you can invade entire countries because of it.

MannyIsGod
03-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Texas is a Spanish name? Coulda fooled me.

Link (http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/TT/pft4.html)

It is really a Spanish version of the native american word, but fair enough, it had Indian roots. As do most Mexicans.

T Park
03-27-2005, 09:34 PM
hen you can invade entire countries because of it.

sigh another bozo.

Once again, a select few does not voice the whole country.

My workers who I was watching a little of the game with and had easter lunch with were saying that, not everyone is like that and "dont take personally" lol.

Once again, a select few dumbasses.

TastesLikeChicken
03-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Was there a point somewhere in that T Park?

Or are you just giving us a lesson on contradiction.

T Park
03-27-2005, 10:21 PM
no, i was just doing a john kerry.

I have a plan.....

IcemanCometh
03-27-2005, 10:23 PM
i think tpark was saying that not all mexicans are bad. why, he has some workers who are mighty fine mexicans.

TastesLikeChicken
03-27-2005, 10:29 PM
And I've heard alot of them will work for Gorditas

Duff McCartney
03-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Now when you say wetbacks are you talking about Americans? Cause technically, they are the ones who crossed the river for the game.

Clandestino
03-28-2005, 10:35 AM
remember this last year? this was a few hundred...

Stifling defense leads Mexico to 4-0 win; bid to Athens
By Kelly Whiteside, USA TODAY
GUADALAJARA, Mexico — The Star-Spangled Banner could barely be heard above all the jeers from the vociferous crowd of 60,000 at Estadio Jalisco. Nor will the national anthem be heard during the Athens Olympics this August for the U.S. under-23 men's soccer team.

The United States failed to qualify for the Athens Olympics with its 4-0 loss to Mexico.
By Omar Torres, AFP

Mexico eliminated the USA on Tuesday from the men's competition by winning 4-0, making it the first time the U.S. men have missed qualifying since 1976. (Related item: Inexperience hurt team, coach says)

Men's soccer became the second prominent U.S. team eliminated from Athens, following the U.S. baseball team's elimination in November — also by Mexico.

"We're very disappointed," said U.S. coach Glenn Myernick. "The dreams of our team of going to the Olympics are now something in the past."

Because the rivalry is so bitter and because of fan unruliness in past games, city officials doubled the number of police at the game to prevent violence. Eight members of the police force dressed in riot gear guarded the USA behind the team bench when the players entered the field. Obscene signs and chants filled the stadium and, in the 25th minute, the first taunting chants of "Osama! Osama!" in reference to al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden began.

Less than a minute later Mexico scored its first goal, a Rafael Marquez Lugo header from about 6 yards out. In the 28th minute Mexico struck again when Diego Martinez bent the ball into the left corner of the goal.

The USA's defense, which had been shaky all tournament, once again faltered in the 55th minute when Marquez Lugo collected a rebound with his back to the goal, turned and fired a 20-yard shot inside the post past goalkeeper D.J. Countess.

"In all areas of the game, they outplayed us. An obvious weakness (for us) throughout the tournament was conceding goals," said Myernick, whose team had advanced to the semis despite giving up six total goals in first-round wins against Panama and Honduras.

With the victory, Mexico avenged the loss to the USA that eliminated it from the 2002 World Cup. Mexico and Costa Rica, which defeated Honduras 2-0 in the other Olympic qualifying semifinal, won the North/Central American and Caribbean region's bids to the Athens Games. Australia, Argentina, Paraguay and host Greece also have qualified.

The loss ended a U.S. hot streak: Fourth place in the 2000 Olympics and the quarterfinals in the 2002 World Cup were the team's all-time best finishes.