PDA

View Full Version : Garnett's Surgery Is Next Week

duncan228
05-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Garnett's surgery is next week (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/05/20/garnetts_surgery_is_next_week/)
By Frank Dell'Apa
Globe Staff

The Celtics' Kevin Garnett will have surgery to remove bone spurs in his right knee next week.

The operation will be performed by team physician Brian McKeown.

"They seem to think it is a straightforward surgery and Kevin will be recovered 100 percent by training camp," said Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge. "Having Kevin back on the court with the team is a priority for us."

Garnett is expected to return in 6-8 weeks, according to an NBA source.

Ainge said no other Celtic is likely to be subjected to a medical procedure in the offseason, though coach Doc Rivers indicated that surgery was being considered for Kendrick Perkins (left shoulder) and Paul Pierce (ankle bone spurs).

"I don't think anyone will be needing surgery," Ainge said. "Right now, Perk is going to be checked out early next week. He'll have an MRI, but right now we're not thinking he needs surgery."

Pierce was the only Celtic who didn't miss a game because of injury this sea son. Ray Allen missed one game with a hyperextended elbow and played with a hamstring strain in the playoffs.

"With Paul and Ray, it's the wear and tear of the season," Ainge said. "It's very unlikely anyone will have surgery this year. Perk, we don't know enough yet, and he's the only one who is a possibility. I don't think Paul's is a problem. Ray strained his hamstring, he didn't pull it.

"I don't think that had a bearing on what happened during the year. Every team has those bothersome aches and pains. We had some little tweaks.

"I said I thought we were leaking oil a little bit as the playoffs went along, and those guys logged big minutes. Those guys played pretty well, they were moving pretty good. But they were double- and triple-teamed so much by Orlando in the playoffs."

The spurs in Garnett's knee were detected before the season, but were not considered serious enough to warrant surgery. He went down late in the first half of a Feb. 19 game against Utah in Salt Lake City. He was convinced to rest, though an MRI revealed no damage.

Garnett returned to action March 15, performing briefly in four games, then was shut down by the Celtics, who were hoping to have him available for the playoffs.

The Celtics scrapped a plan for Garnett to ease back into action in the final three games of the regular season, and on April 16, following a workout in Waltham, they declared him out indefinitely.

This will be the first surgery Garnett has had in his 14-year career.

Brian Scalabrine, who recovered from a concussion to perform in the playoffs, plans to continue his recuperation by not playing until September . . . Celtics associate head coach Tom Thibodeau has not interviewed for the 76ers head coaching position and it is not known when he will. The Sixers are also considering Dallas assistant Dwane Casey and Eddie Jordan, and yesterday interviewed Lakers assistant Kurt Rambis, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. The Sacramento Bee reported that the Kings would like to interview Thibodeau and Rambis. The Kings have interviewed Jordan and Paul Westphal.

Marc J. Spears of the Globe staff contributed to this report.

sribb43
05-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Should have had the surgery back in Feb after the injury happened and he would have been ready for the playoffs..

lefty
05-20-2009, 12:46 PM
KG will walk out of the operation 100% healthy and then talk shit to amputees

LnGrrrR
05-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Bone spurs eh? Well it could be worse.

iggypop123
05-20-2009, 03:06 PM
he will scream at the make a wish foundation kids and tell them to get the fuck out

BlackSwordsMan
05-20-2009, 03:08 PM
he's going to play for argentina next year and fuck over his team for the next season

DPG21920
05-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Garnett will ask the doctors: "will I be ready for training camp" to which they will reply "anything is possible"