PDA

View Full Version : How to repair the San Antonio Spurs Team

mistwiya
05-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Here's an article I wrote on how to fix the Spurs Team.

I think the hardest thing to do is to point fingers at different people in the Spurs organization for their fault. Whether its the players not being put in a position to succeed or because of their injures, or it could be the management and how the Spurs team is being managed atrociously right now, or the coaching staff etc. Something needs to be done, obviously the best way to fix the problem is to turn the injuries and stamina off in the settings but realistically, here are some suggestions.

Current Roster

First thing, Finley needs his minutes reduced. Even though he has been playing better than last year, it extends his capacity talent wise. Finley is being started on the opposing team’s main wing scorers and that is what is causing the Spur’s disaster.

Another huge factor is the need of Duncan, Gooden and Thomas as our mainstays in the post. Oberto and Bonner need to be reduced to spot minutes. Duncan, Thomas and Gooden are going to have to shoulder the load. Gooden has shown some promise, Thomas is solid.

George Hill needs to be the backup and his mistakes must be accepted. Hill at least has the ability to produce positively, the best we can get from Vaughn is placeholding.

Trades

I think the biggest target right now would be Shawn Marion, a very good defender. The spurs should do a sign and trade with Toronto for Marion. I don’t think Marion will accept the MLE but he will come to realize that he is not worth 16 mill any more. The spurs just might be able to get him for 8-10 million a year. Perhaps give them George hill or Roger Mason along with any expirings of their choice.

Another trade scenario, maybe not the best but its decent and that would be to work a trade with Chicago. We give up Oberto, Thomas, Bowen, Hill and in return we get Hinrich and Noah. I know that team is already gaurd oriented, but they get Hill as talent and a bunch of expiring contracts and we get a very good complementary player in Noah and a great defensive depth at guard back in Hinrich.

What about Mason, Oberto, and Mahinmi for Kaman and a Second Rounder
Clippers are interested in cutting salary, so that makes Kaman expendable. With Camby on the team, I think they’ll be willing to take back anything for Kaman (expirings).

Free Agent Options

Well I think our two biggest needs are at center and small forward, the spurs need to think about acquiring at least one or two free agents this summer so here are some guys I think can help fill those voids.

Zaza Pachulia is a hard working dog that makes his living hustling rebounds and making garbage points. He’d be a good accomplice to Tim Duncan, he’s still fairly young so I think he can be had for fairly cheap(around 2-3 million) so we could split the MLE between him and a small forward. I think he could be a solid 10 and 7 guy for us and he could be our starting center.

The best case scenario is getting Rasheed Wallace. Rasheed I think is the best partner for Tim Duncan in this league, shoots the 3, plays tough defense, strong post up. He can also space the floor to give our big three room to operate, he defend centers, he can rebound and he’s a good help defender.

We can even try to acquire Chris Andersen at center. I don’t know if the MLE is enough to get him but I think thats what he is going to be worth this summer. He is an amazing shotblocker and an energetic player. Having a young energetic hustle player like Birdman is ideal.

We can also target a wing player like Matt Barnes (hard-working Bruce Bowen type of player, doesn’t need plays run for him)

Draft
I’m not sure if I have very good knowledge about the college players that everyone is talking about but we know that every year there are sleepers in the second round. My best scenario would be if the spurs can move up the draft and draft Hansbrough. He’d be a good fit in the Spurs organization and i’m sure Pops would just love the guy.

portnoy1
05-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Sounds like a pretty good idea. Center / Small forward are definite needs. I like rasheed Wallace, however he is a little to old. If we can get another roger mason type player. Mason jr. came in having a good shot and decent defense. If we can get a athletic small forward i.e - Jamario Moon who just plays defense/rebounds and finishes at the rim. And get a center i.e - samuel dalembert who plays defense blocks shots and rebounds/ dunks. Everyone keeps saying that the league has change and that you have to score 100 pts to win. The league may have changed, but defense still wins championships. If the spurs want to get back to the top they must not overthink how to score, they must first lock in defensively and keep teams to 75 pts and 39% fg like back in the old days.

urunobili
05-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Kaman & Nocioni and forget the 2010 plan

AFBlue
05-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Kaman & Nocioni and forget the 2010 plan

I don't exactly think that would be "forgetting the 2010 plan". The purpose of Tim Duncan leaving money on the table in those last years was for the Spurs FO to go out and find some talent to go along with the big 3...

Just because that talent may arrive via trade in the 09-10 season, doesn't mean they're tossing the 2010 idea aside.

Whether it's Kaman, Nocioni, Diaw, Wallace, Jefferson, Carter, or any other player...they fit just as nicely as any 2010 summer free agent that the Spurs have a realistic shot at...other than Chris Bosh.

DPG21920
05-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Hell no to Nocioni.

Ditty
05-21-2009, 12:22 AM
hell yes to ariza and r wallace

Tacker
05-21-2009, 12:22 AM
I think the hardest thing to do is to point fingers at different people in the Spurs organization for their fault. Whether its the players not being put in a position to succeed or because of their injures, or it could be the management and how the Spurs team is being managed atrociously right now, or the coaching staff etc. Something needs to be done, obviously the best way to fix the problem is to turn the injuries and stamina off in the settings but realistically, here are some suggestions.

:lol

AusSpursFan
05-21-2009, 03:04 AM
Why does everyone keep putting Hill on the trading block? Yes he actually has value, unlike the Bonners of the world, but isn't that why we should keep him? The guy is young, athletic, great on d and has upside, exactly what we need to be adding more of this offseason.

SA210
05-21-2009, 04:51 AM
read my sig

45 bank shot
05-21-2009, 08:07 AM
no trading of Hill and no signing of Shawn Marion

silverblackfan
05-21-2009, 09:01 AM
I think we do everything to keep Hill. He is the best prospect we have seen in a while. I think him and Mason are keepers along with the big 3 and Ian. I only say keep Ian because he looks like a good possibility and we have been waiting to see him pan out for 2 years now. I would hate to see his break out season, if he has one, on another team. That would hurt. Same goes for Hill. He will only get beter.

Yuushi12
05-21-2009, 10:54 AM

+1

ducks
05-21-2009, 06:24 PM
C maggette YUCK!

Tacker
06-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Spurs arent going to do any of those...

afireinside20
06-21-2009, 03:16 AM
Would be great if we could somehow acquire Malik Rose again.

spurspokesman
06-21-2009, 08:37 AM
:toast

exstatic
06-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Would be great if we could somehow acquire Malik Rose again.

Um, no.

exstatic
06-21-2009, 11:09 AM

You people do understand the salary cap right? We only get one MLE to spend in any FA year. There is no way in hell we get Ariza and Wallace. Probably not either.

ginobilized
06-21-2009, 11:57 AM
I agree, we need help at center and mostly the small forward positions. This team needs to get more offensive rebounds, more free throws and raise their team defensive standing from #18 in the league. Getting more athletic at the wing seems like a no-brainer. However, these Spurs seem to need very specific personality types to work in Pop's system. There's the difficulty. We don't just plug in the best athletes, the Spurs draft and trade for people as much as players. Only the Spurs organization really know what people will be a good fit. Bball IQ is also a biggie for the Spurs and the complexity of their plays and schemes defensively.
All that said, it sure looks like Sam Young or Derrick Brown have some great skills to offer us at the wing. I guess we'll see what they do come draft day and in the FA market this summer.

dbestpro
06-21-2009, 11:58 AM
I would like to see TP play better defense. As quick as is he should be much better a steals. TP goes for 30 and his counter goes for 28 negating his offense. I would like to see TP put as much effort in his denfense as he does his offense. That alone with a healthy Manu would put us right back at the top.

exstatic
06-21-2009, 12:29 PM
I would like to see TP play better defense. As quick as is he should be much better a steals. TP goes for 30 and his counter goes for 28 negating his offense. I would like to see TP put as much effort in his denfense as he does his offense. That alone with a healthy Manu would put us right back at the top.

Steals <> good defense. Chris Paul is usually in the top 3 in steals, and he's one of the worst defensive guards in the league. Steals are a gamble, that if it fails, leaves you out of position and the offense with a 5 on 4 advantage.

HarlemHeat37
06-21-2009, 01:06 PM
#1. Health..Ginobili and Duncan..if this one doesn't work out, then we obviously won't be going anywhere, and an injury to Manu would even have a huge effect on 2010..

#2. Free Agency or Trades..we're going to need to acquire at least one impact player..by impact player, I don't mean a huge name, just a proven guy that will come in and play a role..preferably, this will be a big man..we NEED a big man..

Ian is going to get a shot, because he's a low-cost option..Kurt or Bonner cannot be starting though, or else we won't be going anywhere..we'll need to either use the MLE on a big man like Gooden, Gortat, Wallace or whoever, or use our contracts to acquire a role playing big man to play next to Duncan..

Kurt and Bonner can both be valuable bigs coming off the bench, depending on the matchups..Bonner isn't a reliable all-around player, but he can make 3s, which would be useful off the bench..Kurt can still play 15 MPG off the bench when we need post defense and toughness..

#3. Luck..this one is huge..

this team is gonna have to roll the dice on a number of players, and that's pretty much the only hope we have for this year..low-cost options that can come in and surprise us..the SF position is a huge need..

we're gonna have to roll the dice on either Gist/Hairston/Williams/or a draft pick to fill at least 1 of the SF spots, maybe even 2..there's no other choice IMO, this is the best option due to cost..

we're gonna have to roll the dice on Ian..

luckily, the big 3 is still one of the best in the NBA, and this system is still one of the best in the NBA..we finished top 5 in defensive rating IIRC, which is very impressive considering the injuries and the lack of defensive players..we finished #3 in the West despite major injuries and lack of talent..

youth can never be looked over..this team has enough experience and leadership, so the inexperience of younger players will NOT be an issue..this is the only way to do it though..we're just gonna have to hope some of our young guys can come in and help bring some energy to a team that desperately needs it..

our backcourt is set..it's arguably the best in the NBA..Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, with Mason and Hill backing them up..we can't ask for more than that..we'll obviously need Pop to believe in George though, and hopefully it was just a first-year thing, which is what I believe..Hill's performance in the playoffs surely put some of Pop's doubts to rest..

Duncan is still Duncan, and our bench bigs will be fine with Kurt, Bonner and hopefully Ian, at least IMO..we desperately need a starter though..

we need to fill the starting big man position, the starting SF position, and one bench SF position..it's a tough task, but it isn't impossible..we'll need smart moves and some luck..like I said, the good thing is that we need to fill up with role players since we already have our best players..