PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Team Report (Season In Review)

duncan228
05-20-2009, 03:36 PM
San Antonio Spurs Team Report (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/notes.htm)

After a season that appeared to have so much promise, summer vacation began much earlier than usual for the Spurs. They were ousted in the first round of the playoffs for the first time since 2000, when Tim Duncan was out with a knee injury.

The question on the mind of many in and outside of San Antonio is whether the Spurs' window is shut. There's not denying they're an aging team that battled injuries all season and is short on athleticism.

Though it hardly qualifies as a drought, the Spurs are working on at least two straight years without a championship. During the four titles won from 1999-2007, that happened only one other time. The Lakers won it all from 2000-02. San Antonio did in 1999, 2003, 2005 and 2007.

"We're going to do what's necessary to avoid having a lull," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "We wouldn't want to have a situation where we go right down into the toilet. We want to keep winning."

The Spurs believe their three-man collection of stars — Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker — is enough to keep the franchise relevant. But even they face issues.

Duncan is 33, has gone through a dozen years of pounding on the block and played the second half of this season on bad knees. Manu Ginobili turns 32 before training camp and missed 43 games with various injuries. Parker, 26, is the only one with his prime still ahead.

"I don't think at all we are over," Parker said. "I think with a healthy Manu Ginobili and a couple changes in our role players, we will be right back for another run."

SEASON HIGHLIGHT: An inconsistent end to the regular season finished with a flurry as the Spurs rallied from five down with 50 seconds left in regulation to beat New Orleans in the regular-season finale to beat New Orleans. The victory, coupled with Houston's loss the same night, catapulted San Antonio from a possible fifth seed to third and the Southwest Division title. The division title was the 16th in franchise history.

TURNING POINT: The team's postseason hopes took a severe hit when Manu Ginobili was diagnosed with a season-ending stress fracture in his right leg on April 6. Ginobili had recently returned from five weeks of rest, which doctors thought would heal what was then a stress reaction. Without the explosive swingman in the lineup, the Spurs were forced to rely almost solely on Tony Parker and Tim Duncan.

NOTES, QUOTES

—Spurs assistant general manager Dennis Lindsey pulled out of the running for the newly created head of basketball operations positions with the Timberwolves. Lindsey was believed to be frontrunner after interviewing with Minnesota last month.

The highly regarded Lindsey might have withdrawn because of how much control he would or wouldn't have had in overhauling the organization, which includes the future of current coach Kevin McHale. Lindsey was also a candidate for the GM job in Atlanta last year before deciding to stay in San Antonio.

—The Spurs and Thunder will face each other in a preseason game on Oct. 20 at the Erwin Center in Austin. The exhibition is seen as a win-win for two franchises with ties to the Texas capital.

The Spurs-owned D-League franchise (Toros) is based in Austin. The Thunder's franchise player, Kevin Durant, played for the University of Texas, which had its home games at the Erwin Center.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "It's a fine line between winning and losing. I think with the character of this team and our front office making good decisions, we'll be right back." — Point guard Tony Parker on the team retooling.

ROSTER REPORT

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER: Tony Parker put together a career season, averaging 22.0 points, 6.9 assists and shooting 50.6 percent in 72 games. He averaged 28.6 points and 6.8 assists on 54.6 percent shooting in the playoffs. The lightning-quick point guard carried the team for long stretches as injuries caught up to Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili.

MOST DISAPPOINTING PLAYER: Though it wasn't strictly his fault, Manu Ginobili's injury-riddled season was a serious downer in San Antonio. His decision to play for Argentina's national team last summer didn't sit too well with coach Gregg Popovich, and Ginobili ended up getting hurt in China. Offseason surgery sidelined Ginobili for the first 12 games of the season, and he never really hit his stride.

FREE AGENT FOCUS: Drew Gooden, Ime Udoka and Jacque Vaughn are free agents. Gooden wants to return, but it's unclear if the team is interested. Udoka is a higher priority than Vaughn, but neither is seen as essential.

The front office wants to add youth and athleticism to the veteran core. If Gooden doesn't return, an active frontcourt body will be high on the list.

PLAYER NEWS:

—G Tony Parker will play for the French national team this summer. The injury that Manu Ginobili suffered last summer playing for Argentina didn't factor into Parker's decision. "For me, it will be a little bit different," said Parker, who will be 27 before next season. "Manu is over 30. I'm younger."

—F Drew Gooden said his preference is to return to San Antonio, but he'll likely test free agency this summer. Gooden signed with the Spurs on March 4 after being released by Sacramento and averaged 9.8 points in 19 games. "I'd love to be a part of this organization, but that's something we'll have to see this summer," said Gooden, who didn't play in the playoff finale against Dallas.

—G Michael Finley hasn't decided if he wants to exercise his final-year option. The veteran is set to make $2.5 million if he returns to San Antonio. "I haven't really thought about next year, to be quite honest," Finley said. "I'm going to sit back with my family now, enjoy this extended period of time off and when the time comes that I have to make a decision about my future, that's when I'll make it."

MEDICAL WATCH:

—G Manu Ginobili (stress fracture) missed the last six games of the regular season and the playoffs. Surgery won't be needed, and he should be ready for training camp.