PDA

View Full Version : If Lebron or Kobe wins it all this year....

TheMACHINE
05-20-2009, 04:45 PM
does that make them one of the few teams that has won a championship with only one hall of famer?

Cant think of that many...does the 2004 pistons have any HoF's?

Ghazi
05-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Dirk 2006

TheMACHINE
05-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Dirk 2006

ahh ur right..i forgot

Brazil
05-20-2009, 04:56 PM
duncan2005?

JamStone
05-20-2009, 05:08 PM
The 2004 Pistons may or may not have had any HOFers on that roster. Ben Wallace is one of those hard ones to project, but he has a chance. If Denver makes it to the NBA Finals this year, Billups might have an argument. If they were to win a title, Billups would have a better chance. But as it stands now, the 2004 Pistons didn't have any HOFers on the team.

The 1979 Sonics didn't either, although Dennis Johnson should be in the Hall by now.

The 1994 Rockets only had Hakeem. Drexler joined them the following season for their second title.

The 2005 and 2007 Spurs, as of now, only had one HOFer. Both Parker and Ginobili are probably borderline HOFers at this point, but both could end up being HOFers.

IronMexican
05-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Pretty sure TP is a HOF'er. He's only 27 and it feels like he's been in the NBA forever.

duncan228
05-20-2009, 05:11 PM
I posted this in another thread, another way to look at it with All-Stars.

LeBron may prove exception to NBA championship rule (http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_12406523?source=rss)
By Monte Poole

MICHAEL JORDAN had Scottie Pippen. Magic Johnson had Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and James Worthy. Isiah Thomas had Joe Dumars. Tim Duncan had David Robinson, then Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

Shaq had Kobe, then D-Wade.

Boston won three championships with Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish — and went dry for 22 years, until Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen joined Paul Pierce for the 2007-08 season.

There, we have a general rule of the post-Magic/Larry NBA: Two legitimate All-Stars is the minimum requirement for a team to win it all.

Cleveland, which opens the Eastern Conference finals tonight against Orlando, offers a threat to that conventional wisdom.

If anybody can take 11 complementary players to the top, it's LeBron James.

That's because we never, no matter the team sport, have seen or heard of anyone like him. We've seen a 6-foot-9 guard run the point with flair (Magic), seen a 6-6 swingman routinely dominate both ends (Jordan), seen a 7-foot forward take defenders off the dribble (Dirk Nowitzki) and seen a 6-foot guard take over games (Allen Iverson). We've known of titans such as Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain, neither of whom had LeBron's handle or range. Oscar Robertson, for all his talents, couldn't dunk in a crowd — if at all.

James, however, has an unprecedented array of abilities. At 6-9 and about 260 pounds, he's bigger than 90 percent of the players in the league. To observe this cat closely is to come away convinced he is faster than 80 percent of those in the NBA and more agile than 70 percent of them. He combines the upper body of a defensive end with the legs of a ballet dancer.

Having searched hoops history for a valid comparison and come up empty, I ended up in the NFL — the NFL of 50 years ago, which tried in vain to find an answer for a hurricane named Jim Brown.

Old-timers say Brown was a handful, overpowering the quick guys, sprinting past the strong ones. What made him incredible, they say, was he also could overpower the strong guys and sprint past the quick ones.

LeBron dominated throughout the regular season, leading the Cavs to the league's best record, 66-16, and a preposterous 39-2 at home — while running away with the Most Valuable Player race.

He is, in my book, the best player in the league. Former Lakers and Grizzlies executive Jerry West, conceivably the most astute talent evaluator alive, evidently agrees.

"If I had to have somebody make a last-second shot, it would be Kobe,'' West told Bloomberg News. "But even though it's hard to be objective, because I brought Kobe to Los Angeles, I do think LeBron has surpassed Kobe as a player.''

James is maturing into the leader he wasn't quite ready to be three years ago, when while in town to play the Warriors he acknowledged wanting to be great but didn't seem as obsessed about it as a certain former Chicago Bull. He talked of trying to be a little more selfish, because it's what his teammates wanted. He said he desired a championship but could have a great career without one.

James was 21 then, hadn't felt the sting of deep postseason disappointment. That came the following season, when at 22 he reached the finals with the Cavs and was swept away by the Spurs.

We're now seeing a different LeBron. He's 24 and on a mission. He's making his teammates better, his coaches smarter. He's changing the rules.

Cleveland not only has swept its first two opponents, the Pistons and Hawks, but is the first team to win eight playoff games in a row by double digits.

"I look at Cleveland (and) say to myself, 'How many games could they win without LeBron James?' That's how great he is,'' West told Reuters. "He has a chance to become arguably the greatest player to ever play the game.''

He is eight wins away from staking that claim. That the Magic won two of three from Cleveland in the regular season suggests LeBron's quest is about to get tougher.

Winning without an All-Star sidekick is supposed to be difficult. That's why no one has done it — or even come so close, as James already is, that it's conceivable.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126832

JamStone
05-20-2009, 05:14 PM
I think Tony Parker is borderline right now, and what he does after Duncan is gone that may determine whether or not he gets inducted. I look at a guy like Jo Jo White who put up some very good numbers, was part of a couple Boston championships, won a Finals MVP, was in 6-7 all stars, was named to all NBA 2nd team a couple of times, and he's not in the Hall of Fame. Parker has had a career that is building towards the HOF, but I don't think it's a certainty at all at this point.

Brazil
05-20-2009, 05:25 PM
As of today Manu is more an HOFer than TP, I think the weight of his global career should enable him to enter in the HOF (olympics gold medal, nba rings, european championship). I don't know if international achievements are considered for the HOF but anyway it's an argument. For TP I agree with JamStone it will depend on TP capacity to maintain his level in particular after Tim decline beginning.

duncan228
05-20-2009, 05:31 PM
...Tim decline...

I hate seeing these two words together. :(

Ghazi
05-20-2009, 05:34 PM
I repeat, Dirk 2006. Been there done that! unless you consider JET or Josh hall of famers!

Brazil
05-20-2009, 05:37 PM
I hate seeing these two words together. :(

I know I'm sorry D228 :(

To be positive I do not think that the decline begun yet, Tim season has been great despite his injuries problem. Next year I hope to see him dominant like during 2/3 of this season, it's time for Pop to slightly decrease his mpg but we need to find a big that can help him :bang

manufor3
05-20-2009, 05:49 PM
I repeat, Dirk 2006. Been there done that! unless you consider JET or Josh hall of famers!

ghazi, this is old

Allanon
05-20-2009, 05:51 PM

To be positive I do not think that the decline begun yet, Tim season has been great despite his injuries problem. Next year I hope to see him dominant like during 2/3 of this season, it's time for Pop to slightly decrease his mpg but we need to find a big that can help him :bang

I think we should this Duncan doubter outside and shoot him, D228.

DPG21920
05-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Manu is a lock for the HOF. TP is boarder line, it would take another chip to get him closer imo.

Gino
05-20-2009, 05:53 PM
So I read this thread and thought "Uh...the Spurs only have one hall of famer..its highly doubtful Ginobili would get in.."

And then I see people think that the guy who in his prime is 3rd team all-nba is a potential hall of famer.

DrHouse
05-20-2009, 05:55 PM
^How are the fish?

duncan228
05-20-2009, 05:58 PM

Duncan has a lot left. I expect his minutes to be managed, possibly even sitting out one game of back-to-backs during the entire season. That should help his knees, but we still need help for him badly if we want to see him raise his fifth.

duncan228
05-20-2009, 05:59 PM

:lol

DPG21920
05-20-2009, 05:59 PM
It is the basketball HOF, not the NBA HOF. Gino's basketball resume certainly has him in: Euroleague Champion, Lega MVP, Euroleague final 4 MVP, All-Star in NBA, 6th man of the year in the NBA, 3 time NBA champion, Olympic Gold Medalist.

DPG21920
05-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Duncan has a lot left. I expect his minutes to be managed, possibly even sitting out one game of back-to-backs during the entire season. That should help his knees, but we still need help for him badly if we want to see him raise his fifth.

That is what worries me. The Spurs were only 6 wins from the 8th seed this year. Now we are going to have to manage TD and Manu's minutes heavily and possibly sit them on b2b's. Unless there is a serious upgrade, it will be a difficult task in the West to remain competitive.

The upgrade might not happen for another year though. I am fine with that as long as something is done before Tim retires; which I am confident will.

MiamiHeat
05-20-2009, 06:04 PM
basketball hall of fame don't count, it's 'the other, fake one'

duncan228
05-20-2009, 06:08 PM
That is what worries me. The Spurs were only 6 wins from the 8th seed this year. Now we are going to have to manage TD and Manu's minutes heavily and possibly sit them on b2b's. Unless there is a serious upgrade, it will be a difficult task in the West to remain competitive.

The upgrade might not happen for another year though. I am fine with that as long as something is done before Tim retires; which I am confident will.

I hope we see it sooner rather than later. I think Duncan is done in 2012. There's only a few seasons left to win with him. They've got to improve his supporting cast.

If the cast is right, and the Big Three are rested and healthy, I like our chances against anyone, no matter what seed they are.

DAF86
05-20-2009, 06:18 PM
As of today Manu is more an HOFer than TP, I think the weight of his global career should enable him to enter in the HOF (olympics gold medal, nba rings, european championship). I don't know if international achievements are considered for the HOF but anyway it's an argument. For TP I agree with JamStone it will depend on TP capacity to maintain his level in particular after Tim decline beginning.

International achievments are considered for the HoF 'cause the Hof is the "Basketball Hall of Fame", there's not such thing as the "NBA Hall of Fame" (at least not that I know of). Manu could give his NBA rings away and he'd still be a first ballot hall of famer.

And to answer the OP question according to my thoughts:

the Spurs have 4 HoF's IMO: Duncan, Manu and Pop are a lock right now and Tony will be soon.

The '04 Pistons don't have any beside Larry Brown.

the '06 Heat have Riley, Shaq, Payton, Wade and ... Mourning?

the '08 Celtics have Garnett for sure and I don't know about Pierce and Allen.

This year's Cavs have Lebron and this year's Lakers have Kobe, Jackson and if they win Gasol would have a case.

Amaso
05-20-2009, 06:24 PM
Hmm, I can't think of too many either, Tony P is gonna be in the hall of fame by the time his career is over. Pau Gasol might be in the HOF if the lakers win a couple of titles over the next few years. Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are probably going to make the Hall. The only team I can really think of besides 2004 Pistons is 2006 Mavs. Dirk is the only guy that is going to make the hall from that team.

Brazil
05-20-2009, 06:27 PM
International achievments are considered for the HoF 'cause the Hof is the "Basketball Hall of Fame", there's not such thing as the "NBA Hall of Fame" (at least not that I know of). Manu could give his NBA rings away and he'd still be a first ballot hall of famer.

Thanks DAF

Brazil
05-20-2009, 06:28 PM

:rolleyes :lol

DPG21920
05-20-2009, 06:28 PM
I hope we see it sooner rather than later. I think Duncan is done in 2012. There's only a few seasons left to win with him. They've got to improve his supporting cast.

If the cast is right, and the Big Three are rested and healthy, I like our chances against anyone, no matter what seed they are.

We will see it no later than 2010, but if we do not see it this season (meaning you do not see the FO poach talent and inflate the payroll in order to scrap the 2010 flexibility and go for it) then you will see a lot of frustrated players, coaches and fans.

I am fine with it not being next year, but I can assure you it will make a lot of people antsy seeing the Spurs come back with virtually the same team (with some small additions) and get bounced. It will be another year gone from Tim and the window will inch closer to being shut.

But people have to understand it is all about the number 1. One more legit title shot for Duncan before he retires in 2012 which looks inevitable. If the front office can do that, then they have done their jobs completely. I do not care if it is in 09/10 or 11/12, just one more shot.

The odds decrease as the years go on, so that is why the next 2 years are seemingly the most important.

DPG21920
05-20-2009, 06:30 PM
It is the basketball HOF, not the NBA HOF.

International achievments are considered for the HoF 'cause the Hof is the "Basketball Hall of Fame", there's not such thing as the "NBA Hall of Fame" (at least not that I know of).

Thanks DAF

Am I invisible?:lol?

DAF86
05-20-2009, 06:44 PM

You're on Brazil's ignoring list :lol

Brazil
05-20-2009, 09:15 PM

What ? who are you ?:lol

:toast