PDA

View Full Version : Spurs trying to acquire 1st round pick?

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 09:17 AM
An excerpt from yesterday's NBA Draft Round-Up at DX (http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#NBA-Draft-Roundup-May-20-3224):

A number of teams are already reportedly sending out feelers indicating that they would like to acquire a pick in the late first round—including the San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets and Toronto Raptors. A few teams that are rumored to be looking to trade or sell their picks are the Oklahoma City Thunder (#25), Minnesota Timberwolves (#28) and New Orleans Hornets (#21).

Let the speculation begin.

Stump
05-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Kurt Thomas for the #25?

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Kurt Thomas for the #25?
:lol

Muser
05-21-2009, 09:26 AM
What do we have that could be traded for picks?

Russ
05-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Yes, the Spurs have always shown a great desire for late 1st round picks.

SenorSpur
05-21-2009, 09:38 AM
If this is true, I like the sense of urgency. Wonder who they are targeting?

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Expiring contracts, cash considerations, rights to players (Splitter, Javtokas, etc.)

If this is true, I think it centers around Casspi.

ducks
05-21-2009, 09:41 AM
oberta for a first round pick

SenorSpur
05-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Kurt Thomas for the #25?

Priceless. :lol

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Used it last year, didn't we? And the year before.

spursbird
05-21-2009, 10:17 AM
And we often used it well. We've drafted Parker, Beno(not bad), Splitter(If he comes), and Hill and Ian need to prove themselves the next season.

2Cleva
05-21-2009, 10:30 AM
A few teams would be willing to deal their 1st round pick this year to get one next year to try to have more 2010 cap space.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-21-2009, 10:51 AM
As long as Presti is running the show in OKC anytime they are looking to do anything people will assume some level of Spurs interest.

rapliketp
05-21-2009, 11:03 AM
OKC would want future picks or draft rights to a player and cash.

Hornets would want a trade exception to take off salary from their roster and cash.

TWolves might want the same as the Hornets.

poop
05-21-2009, 11:31 AM
so now we are in desperation mode to try to get young players, while we had 2-3 earlier in the year that we simply waived in favor of keeping useless players around. spurs organization has shot themselves in the foot with their stupid ass decisions lately.

robert1886
05-21-2009, 12:16 PM
bruce or oberto and one of our second round picks

Brazil
05-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah a 1st round pick so that Pop will let him on the bench !

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Yeah a 1st round pick so that Pop will let him on the bench !
Not if it's someone they have confidence in that has already played at a high level. Say like, Euroleague? :stirpot:

Oink Oink
05-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Kurt Thomas for the #25?

good one:lmao

Spursfan092120
05-21-2009, 12:45 PM
This draft isn't worth trading up in..unless it's the top 5. This draft year is horrible.

Marcus Bryant
05-21-2009, 12:47 PM
so now we are in desperation mode to try to get young players, while we had 2-3 earlier in the year that we simply waived in favor of keeping useless players around. spurs organization has shot themselves in the foot with their stupid ass decisions lately.

Youth does not always imply usefulness. Other than Hairston, who else am I supposed to be mourning?

Das Texan
05-21-2009, 02:10 PM
us trading for pick 25 would be beyond hilarious.

Thompson
05-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Maybe they're looking at Casspi? Who knows though, it's impossible to say with the Spurs.

Strike
05-21-2009, 02:20 PM

Matt Bonner.

If some team would be retarded enough to take him.

baseline bum
05-21-2009, 03:52 PM
A few teams would be willing to deal their 1st round pick this year to get one next year to try to have more 2010 cap space.

A 2010 pick will still count against the 2010 cap.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Youth does not always imply usefulness. Other than Hairston, who else am I supposed to be mourning?

Hairston's the poster child for the practice, but Pop clearly knows something we don't or has a blind spot for him going back to Anthony Tolliver.

45 bank shot
05-21-2009, 03:56 PM
us trading for pick 25 would be beyond hilarious.

actually i think itz reasonable to do so.
we traded our pick for KT last year in order to contend for championship.
Itz only a short-term solution after all.
now KT's time has come and the spurs need some young blood in order to stay in the long run, so I'd do it and therez nothing funny bout it

mando6599
05-21-2009, 04:01 PM
"Good finisher under the basket 70.8 FG% (loves finishing with dunks at the rim if possible)."

Will never be a Spur if this is to be believed.:lol

EDIT: This is a quote from the strengths of Omri Casspi, btw. Needed to clarify.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 04:05 PM
actually i think itz reasonable to do so.
we traded our pick for KT last year in order to contend for championship.
Itz only a short-term solution after all.
now KT's time has come and the spurs need some young blood in order to stay in the long run, so I'd do it and therez nothing funny bout it
My (completely unrealistic) hope is that, with the lack of quality centers available in the draft at that position, and also assuming the Thunder are unable to draft Thabeet at the 3rd spot, that the Spurs can nab that pick with cash, #37, and Javtokas' rights. Ain't happening, but I can dream.

FromWayDowntown
05-21-2009, 04:07 PM

What!?!?! You mean you don't weep every day that Pops Mensah Bonsu is dunking north of the border?

robert1886
05-21-2009, 04:10 PM
getting that 25th pick back could help us alot.....we could get someone like sam young or dejuan summers who can help us extremely at the 3 and 4 position

HarlemHeat37
05-21-2009, 04:37 PM
I haven't been following the college players this year, it just didn't interest me..any projected late athletic SFs that can come in and produce right away? I obviously don't mean in a star way, but somebody that can give us an athletic infusion at a role player level..

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 04:42 PM
I haven't been following the college players this year, it just didn't interest me..any projected late athletic SFs that can come in and produce right away? I obviously don't mean in a star way, but somebody that can give us an athletic infusion at a role player level..
Sam Young (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Sam-Young-1012/), DaJuan Summers (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DaJuan-Summers-1198/), and Omri Casspi (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Omri-Casspi-538/) seem likely candidates.

45 bank shot
05-21-2009, 04:42 PM
What!?!?! You mean you don't weep every day that Pops Mensah Bonsu is dunking north of the border?
i live in windsor, ontario and get to see the raptors on tv quite a lot.
Honestly , pops is not that good. Hez more of an energy player, he turns the ball over often and even missed a lot of dunks . (that's prolly why hez pg percentage is so low

HarlemHeat37
05-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Sam Young (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Sam-Young-1012/), DaJuan Summers (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/DaJuan-Summers-1198/), and Omri Casspi (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Omri-Casspi-538/) seem likely candidates.

Sam Young sounds perfect for us to me from the analysis on DX..

defense+work ethic+great coaching and great system= good addition..

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Well I've seen this a coming all along... http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126639

I think they may trade the rights to Splitter and maybe Fabrico to get the pick. In return the Spurs would get Damien Wilkins.

Since they have a working relationship I would say tht OKC making the pick the Spurs want and then trading that pick after to draft may happen..

a lot of possibilities... with OKC... but since I put up Terrance Williams as a possibility his draft stock has gone up to the 15th pick...

So maybe the Spurs have super cool international player they wont be able to sign for 3 years in mind...
Williams is supposedly shooting up the board thanks to his workouts, I don't think he'll drop close to that pick.

Gino2882
05-21-2009, 05:34 PM
If this report is even remotely feasible it is very possible the Spurs are sticking their name in the hat for Omri Casspi.

Also remember, Casspi CAN withdraw from this draft if he chooses so. It is believed if he does not get a first round guarantee that Casspi will withdraw from the draft.

Thompson
05-21-2009, 05:43 PM
If we're going after Casspi, try to get a pick before the Blazers. They'll pick him just to #*%! with us again. The Rockets too for that matter.

Bruno
05-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Getting a late first round pick isn't complicate at all. Cash or a future pick should be enough.

Now, if Spurs get a first round pick, it will eat a little (around $500K) of their 2010 cap space. Either Spurs won't take the 2010 plan route or they like a player enough to sacrifice some cap space on him while this player hasn't played a single NBA minute.

DPG21920
05-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Yes, but if they believe that player can make an impact, it would be one of the cheap role players needed to fill out the roster in 2010.

timvp
05-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Pop in his 15+ years as the man in charge has never traded up in the first round or traded for a first round pick. So I'm obviously skeptical that anything comes out of this.

I'm guessing it is just the due diligence of getting the feelers out there in case someone they like drops to a certain spot in the draft. I highly doubt that they just trade for a pick. If they move up, it'll be during the draft when a certain player drops.

And yeah, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to move up. With so many teams careful about guaranteeing money, the 38th and either a little bit of cash or another second round pick would probably be enough.

Obstructed_View
05-21-2009, 06:19 PM
getting that 25th pick back could help us alot.....we could get someone like sam young or dejuan summers who can help us extremely at the 3 and 4 position

Sam Young seems to be Malik Hairston to me, so I'm not sure why they'd feel they need to reach for him. Summers may fall to the Spurs in the second round.

I have a feeling the Spurs are going to be really busy making phone calls immediately after the draft, looking for even more guys to add to camp this year.

ducks
05-21-2009, 06:23 PM
having sex can result in kids therefore spur players need to have sex to produce kids that say they will only play for spurs and no one else!

Twisted_Dawg
05-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Anyone know who they would get with those picks?

Definitely some white goon from Europe.

DPG21920
05-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Serious question, how much say does RC have in player personnel? Percentage wise between RC, Pop and Buford and other sources?

Thompson
05-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Serious question, how much say does RC have in player personnel? Percentage wise between RC, Pop and Buford and other sources?

Hopefully not much after the Howard and Scola debacles.

angelbelow
05-21-2009, 06:30 PM
can we just buy one and let oberto go?

Mel_13
05-21-2009, 06:34 PM
R.C, Pop and Buford?

Twisted_Dawg
05-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Kurt Thomas for the #25?
:lmao

I doubt anyone wants Thomas or Oberto unless they are packaged with a George Hill or Splitter's rights.

oberta for a first round pick
See above.....:downspin:

Holt should have already fired Bufford.

Yeah a 1st round pick so that Pop will let him on the bench ! Or send him to the blackhole known as Pop's doghouse.

"Good finisher under the basket 70.8 FG% (loves finishing with dunks at the rim if possible)."

Will never be a Spur if this is to be believed.:lol

EDIT: This is a quote from the strengths of Omri Casspi, btw. Needed to clarify. Exactly why would Pop want an athletic player?

Bufford? What has he done lately? Finding Parker was a long time ago.

ducks
05-21-2009, 06:38 PM
R.C, Pop and Buford?

rc and bufford are the same people

DPG21920
05-21-2009, 06:38 PM
R.C, Pop and Buford?

I meant Holt. Although I know Holt probably has very little to do with player personnel.

exstatic
05-21-2009, 06:54 PM
:lmao

I doubt anyone wants Thomas or Oberto unless they are packaged with a George Hill or Splitter's rights.

See above.....:downspin:

Holt should have already fired Bufford.

Or send him to the blackhole known as Pop's doghouse.

Exactly why would Pop want an athletic player?

Bufford? What has he done lately? Finding Parker was a long time ago.
Oberto and Bowen both are scheduled for ~$4M next year, and BOTH deals are only 50% guaranteed. That's going to be a commodity this summer. That $2M for either is better than cash thrown in because it comes off your CAP figure, as well as hitting your pocket.

BackHome
05-21-2009, 06:57 PM
This draft is very weak so after the top three picks their is a huge differnce in what you are potentialy getting. I think alot of teams that fall after the fith spot will look at trades or trading out of the first round. I just hope that we can get value for our players and not do something stupid like giving Scola away for a late second rounder.!

The talk of trading Splitters rights is just plain stupid did we not learn anything from the Scola trade....HELLO.........

I agree that this draft is realy weak when it comes to bigs and I am hoping that we could move Oberto and Thomas and get something decent like a draft pick or a SF.

Solid D
05-21-2009, 07:21 PM
I meant Holt. Although I know Holt probably has very little to do with player personnel.

Dennis, Dell and George.

Rogue
05-21-2009, 07:23 PM
George Hill for #25

05-21-2009, 07:33 PM
ironically, some mock drafts have the thunder drafting sam young at the 25 spot, a player i think is most needed by the spurs.

montgod
05-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Well I've seen this a coming all along... http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126639

I think they may trade the rights to Splitter and maybe Fabrico to get the pick. In return the Spurs would get Damien Wilkins.

Since they have a working relationship I would say tht OKC making the pick the Spurs want and then trading that pick after to draft may happen..

a lot of possibilities... with OKC... but since I put up Terrance Williams as a possibility his draft stock has gone up to the 15th pick...

So maybe the Spurs have super cool international player they wont be able to sign for 3 years in mind...

I surely hope they aren't targeting DWilkins. :depressed Besides that, he is a free agent so no need to trade for him.

mattyc
05-21-2009, 08:14 PM
http://photos.upi.com/topics-Patrick-Mills/899377680d065614e4800d6dce28795b/Patrick-Mills_1.jpg

Patrick Mills. Make it happen.

Russ
05-21-2009, 08:25 PM
When is the last time the Spurs traded up in the draft?

Obstructed_View
05-21-2009, 09:24 PM
ironically, some mock drafts have the thunder drafting sam young at the 25 spot, a player i think is most needed by the spurs.

Again, how is he any different from Malik Hairston? They're the same size, and Hairston's already proven that he's an NBA caliber defender. Young's probably a better shooter, but not by much.

exstatic
05-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Some of these arguments are rather banal.

Because the Spurs have not in recent memory traded up in the draft then therefor they wont this year.

Need dictates the move.

That this is a weak draft.

Again needs dictate what is week to on team may be what another team needs. To arbitrarily declare a draft week or strong, especially with the way College players have to play one year before they can declare, is beyond simplistic.

Right, so all of those NBA scouts, the ones that get paid for a living, are wrong about this draft being weak, and you're right. :rolleyes

It's not a matter of what one team needs and another doesn't, it's the fact that the players, most of them in the draft, aren't very fucking good. I've heard that everyone below maybe 18-19 would grade out as second rounders in recent drafts.

Ditty
05-21-2009, 10:31 PM
http://servinghimwithshakyhands.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/danny-green-dunk.jpg

SenorSpur
05-22-2009, 12:31 AM
If the Spurs are, in fact, trying to trade up, it's another indictment on the value they gave up for KT. Not saying it was a bad idea obtaining KT, they just gave up too much. They probably should've limited it to 2nd round pick at the most.

Blackjack
05-22-2009, 01:01 AM
And this is news?

The Spurs target a couple of players every year, and if they think they might have to move up,(or in this case, move in) they'll make an effort to.

We've all heard the post-draft chatter about the efforts to get players like Granger, Brown, Nelson, and Cook, they've just yet to be successful.

In other words, I'll believe it when I see it.

NewJerSpur
05-22-2009, 01:03 AM
http://servinghimwithshakyhands.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/danny-green-dunk.jpg

:tu....if we're going to go SF.

Blackjack
05-22-2009, 01:19 AM
but since I put up Terrance Williams as a possibility his draft stock has gone up to the 15th pick...

I suggest you not use NBA Draft.net as your guide.

DX has had Terrence going at 14 to phoenix, even before the lottery order was known.

All of these sites are speculative in nature and never an exact science, but from what I've seen out there, DX has some of the best insights/breakdowns of potential prospects games out there.

The conclusions they come to aren't always that accurate, but the information is sound enough for you to come to your own conclusion.

Ditty
05-22-2009, 01:21 AM

would love danny green or sam young as a 1st rounder

2nd rounder early pick: victor claver or omri cassipi

late 2nd rounders:vasquez and beaubois or llull if he's there

dream draft

Sean Cagney
05-22-2009, 01:22 AM

Exactly, and it will not HAPPEN again......

Obstructed_View
05-22-2009, 02:21 AM
would love danny green or sam young as a 1st rounder

2nd rounder early pick: victor claver or omri cassipi

late 2nd rounders:vasquez and beaubois or llull if he's there

dream draft

Somebody that's watched Sam Young please explain why he's worth a draft pick for a team that's got plenty of guys 6'4" to 6'6". I'm not saying he isn't, I just want to know the rationale.

objective
05-22-2009, 03:27 AM

Sanikidze

mountainballer
05-22-2009, 05:26 AM

as much as I like Green.......for a SF he is pretty small.
he measured 6'4.5'' without shoes last year. his wingspan is nice at 6'10'', but his standing reach is far below average at just 8'4.5''. in todays NBA you just need a SF with more size and length. Hairston is pretty much the same size, but he is stronger and more athletic. I would go with him.

Stump
05-22-2009, 07:24 AM
I know there's a lot of skepticism about if the Spurs have enough interest and expendable assets to move up, but to me it seems like now is a better time than ever. The value of a standard late 20s pick is usually around $3 million, but I don't think it's going to be anything close to that this year. Consider:

1. This is one of the weakest drafts in years
2. Most teams are starving for money
3. Several teams don't want to take on more salaries before the 2010 bonanza

This draft may not have the stars that the lottery teams want, but it still looks like it could have plenty of solid roleplayers. If the Spurs really want to begin overhauling their bench, this draft gives them a lot of opportunities.

TheProfessor
05-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Pistons might be looking to move the 15th pick and Amir Johnson according to Chad Ford (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-090521). They are looking for F/C's, but the draft is weak at those positions around the 15th pick. The Spurs pursued Johnson in the past, and have Splitter's and Javtokas' rights to deal. Might make sense for both teams.

Spur-Addict
05-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Pistons might be looking to move the 15th pick and Amir Johnson according to Chad Ford (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-090521). They are looking for F/C's, but the draft is weak at those positions around the 15th pick. The Spurs pursued Johnson in the past, and have Splitter's and Javtokas' rights to deal. Might make sense for both teams.

Dumars might not be high on Euro bigs.

Reference: Darko

But there's always a possibility.

TheProfessor
05-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Dumars might not be high on Euro bigs.

Reference: Darko

But there's always a possibility.
Tiago has a body of work at the highest level in Europe. If Dumars gets assurances that Tiago can be signed in 2010, it makes sense - they're rebuilding, the Spurs need young, athletic talent right now. Pistons can shave a bit of salary in the process and go after a big FA. I would be loathe to give up on Splitter though - just depends on our urgency.

Bukefal
05-22-2009, 10:06 AM
http://photos.upi.com/topics-Patrick-Mills/899377680d065614e4800d6dce28795b/Patrick-Mills_1.jpg

Patrick Mills. Make it happen.

Yeahhhh :tu :tu :tu :tu He needs to be more efficient though.

BackHome
05-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Alot of talk has been about Spurs wanting to move up in the draft and spending guaranteed money. The talk has been about us trading our expiring contract players to some team in need of cap relief......This is from DE:

A number of teams are already reportedly sending out feelers indicating that they would like to acquire a pick in the late first round—including the San Antonio Spurs, Houston Rockets and Toronto Raptors. A few teams that are rumored to be looking to trade or sell their picks are the Oklahoma City Thunder (#25), Minnesota Timberwolves (#28) and New Orleans Hornets (#21).

I would like to explore us either these two scenarios one we buy the Hornets pick straight out or two we trade one of our bigs Thomas/Oberto for Tyson Chandler and their first round pick.
Either way if we get that pick here are my thoughts

We desperately need a SF so picking at twenty one here are some names:
Austin Daye
Dejuan Summers
Victor Claver
Omri Casspi
Damion James
Danny Green

So then we move on to our 37th pick which we won't have to trade if we do the buy out route. This position I think will go to finding a true PG.
Sergio Llull
Rodriguez Beaubuis
Curtis Jerrels
Nando De Colo

Then the last two picks I think would be for some bigs our a Spurs type of player.
Henk Norel
Taj Gibson
Chris Johnson
Antonio Anderson

So any of these player I would be very happy with:

21st ..Victor Claver/Dejaun Summers/Omri Casspi

37th..Sergio Llull/Wesley Mathews/Rogriguez Beabuis

51st..Henk Norel/Taj Gibson

53rd..Antonio Anderson/Chris Johnson

Looking at these playes they will give us added depth at key position and depending who we pick I see two actualy on our team and two on our development league. The biggest concern that I have is we still need a true center so if the Tyson trade doesn't work I still think we need to get either Gorat or Bourousis

TDMVPDPOY
05-23-2009, 11:12 PM
whats the chances of these draftees suiting up in the silver and black or being shipped away to europe to farm a few seasons?

these guys better be doing something to make them stand out from the players we already have farming in europe atm to be selected on the roster

BackHome
05-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Giving up a talented PF scola was just plain stupid but giving up on a talented Center would just be CRAZY!

Ditty
05-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Alot of talk has been about Spurs wanting to move up in the draft and spending guaranteed money. The talk has been about us trading our expiring contract players to some team in need of cap relief......This is from DE:

I would like to explore us either these two scenarios one we buy the Hornets pick straight out or two we trade one of our bigs Thomas/Oberto for Tyson Chandler and their first round pick.

Austin Daye
Dejuan Summers
Victor Claver
Omri Casspi
Damion James
Danny Green

So then we move on to our 37th pick which we won't have to trade if we do the buy out route. This position I think will go to finding a true PG.
Sergio Llull
Rodriguez Beaubuis
Curtis Jerrels
Nando De Colo

Then the last two picks I think would be for some bigs our a Spurs type of player.
Henk Norel
Taj Gibson
Chris Johnson
Antonio Anderson

Looking at these playes they will give us added depth at key position and depending who we pick I see two actualy on our team and two on our development league. The biggest concern that I have is we still need a true center so if the Tyson trade doesn't work I still think we need to get either Gorat or Bourousis

i would hope cassipi,llull,green, and claver in this years draft i would hope claver stock would drop because of him signing overseas, and llull stock might drop for some dumb reason so we can get him late but bourousis would be my fit for our center

Bukefal
05-25-2009, 02:45 PM

Austin Daye
Dejuan Summers
Victor Claver
Omri Casspi
Damion James
Danny Green

Sergio Llull
Rodriguez Beaubuis
Curtis Jerrels
Nando De Colo

Henk Norel
Taj Gibson
Chris Johnson
Antonio Anderson

We need Damion James!! Ive said it before in the think/thank. That guy has potential! I hope we can get him.

RodNIc91
05-25-2009, 04:03 PM

Austin Daye
Dejuan Summers
Victor Claver
Omri Casspi
Damion James
Danny Green

Sergio Llull
Rodriguez Beaubuis
Curtis Jerrels
Nando De Colo

Henk Norel
Taj Gibson
Chris Johnson
Antonio Anderson

I think that the trade for chandler would be great as well as having that 21st pick but wouldn't we have to match salaries? and are the hornets really shopping him?

TimDunkem
05-25-2009, 04:26 PM
I think that the trade for chandler would be great as well as having that 21st pick but wouldn't we have to match salaries? and are the hornets really shopping him?
They almost gave him away for Chris Wilcox before the deadline.

SenorSpur
05-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Somehow I just can't see the Spurs utilizing any of their expiring contracts or spending cash to move up into the first round. They may have to in order to get a player they covet. Granted, I'd love for them to re-acquire their #25 pick back from the Thunder.

Rather, I see the Spurs utilizing their minimal trade assets on acquiring a veteran player and hoping one for their favored picks falls to #37.

RodNIc91
05-25-2009, 04:36 PM
They almost gave him away for Chris Wilcox before the deadline.

I know, as well as Joe Smith but see? They made salaries match since Chandler makes about 10 million right? If that's his salary then I dont see a way of us getting him. Anyway, I hope that if we move up in the draft is to draft someone who can contribute right away, similar to what George Hill did this year.

exstatic
05-25-2009, 04:43 PM

?? Why wouldn't they be shopping Chandler? They tried to to a straight salary dump at the deadline. New Orleans is in trouble, big trouble financially. The front of the line for Chandler will be teams that can offer salary relief immediately. That means non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed deals. Dallas has one of the best with Stackhouse's contract at $7.25M with a low buyout, somwhere between 1 and 2 million. Chandler just doesn't seem like their kind of player, though, and they already have one center on their roster making over $10M in Dampier. We'd be next with Bowen and Oberto's deals totalling $8M with $4M guaranteed. NOLA seems to like ex Spurs. We could ship them some more.

RodNIc91
05-25-2009, 04:49 PM
?? Why wouldn't they be shopping Chandler? They tried to to a straight salary dump at the deadline. New Orleans is in trouble, big trouble financially. The front of the line for Chandler will be teams that can offer salary relief immediately. That means non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed deals. Dallas has one of the best with Stackhouse's contract at $7.25M with a low buyout, somwhere between 1 and 2 million. Chandler just doesn't seem like their kind of player, though, and they already have one center on their roster making over $10M in Dampier. We'd be next with Bowen and Oberto's deals totalling $8M with $4M guaranteed. NOLA seems to like ex Spurs. We could ship them some more.

Jajaj I know but I think it was on the net on cnn the section of truth and rumours that said that maybe they would relief salary with somebody else or pay the luxury tax. Anyway it was like a month ago so I don't think it is still there. But yes, what you say makes sense. I hope the Spurs are considering it.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-25-2009, 04:56 PM
LLull and De Colo are not true point guards.

exstatic
05-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Jajaj I know but I think it was on the net on cnn the section of truth and rumours that said that maybe they would relief salary with somebody else or pay the luxury tax. Anyway it was like a month ago so I don't think it is still there. But yes, what you say makes sense. I hope the Spurs are considering it.

Well, they'd LOVE to move Peja. Unfortunately, the market for soft jump shooting forwards who are constantly injured and making $14M is pretty limited to non-existant.

RodNIc91
05-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Well, they'd LOVE to move Peja. Unfortunately, the market for soft jump shooting forwards who are constantly injured and making $14M is pretty limited to non-existant.

Jajaja oops my bad look I found what I was talking about, well perhaps we may acquire chandler.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nba?page=18

exstatic
05-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I just talked to one of my sources and as it turns out the NBA teams have several trades that are worked out before hand with different senarios that just never happen on draft day. Apperently the Spurs are always trading up and down and it just doesn't happen for one reason or another. For example, say the Spurs wanted player X. Team A is only willing to trade and draft player X for and to the Spurs if a couple things just fall the right way. So if the Magic really like Courtney Lee and not much else in the draft and Courtney Lee is drafted ahead of their pick the Spurs might could have offered something so they could get the Magic's pick to draft Batum. These kind of deals go down all the time, but more times than likely a team like the magic have 3 options for thier pick, and only if all 3 of those options are not avilable will they trade the pick to the Spurs, and the Spurs will only pull the trigger on this trade if the player (like Batum) is still avilable at the pick they were trading for.

It is very complex and hard to keep up with, but the Spurs did it last year with Hairston and Dragic. The Suns like Dragic, but figured that someone would draft him in the time between pick 45 and 48, so the Spurs would only offer that 45th pick if the player they really wanted at 4 was not in the draft pool or they figured that the player they wanted to draft at 45 would still be in the pool at 48, and the Spurs get some bonus for protecting Dragic for the Suns. Like I said it is all complex.

I had heard that they tried to trade up to like 15 or 16 in 2001 to get Parker, but Orlando wasn't having any of it at the time. Still butt hurt over Duncan would be my guess. It all worked out in the end as he dropped to the Spurs later in the round.

Hornets1
05-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah a 1st round pick so that Byron will let him on the bench !

Fixed! :rollin

Blackjack
05-26-2009, 12:13 AM
I had heard that they tried to trade up to like 15 or 16 in 2001 to get Parker, but Orlando wasn't having any of it at the time. Still butt hurt over Duncan would be my guess. It all worked out in the end as he dropped to the Spurs later in the round.

Spurs also had an agreement with Utah (IIRC) that would have landed them Jameer Nelson but had it fall through when he got selected a pick or two before Utah's slot.

I seem to remember it being Denver that originally selected Nelson, before a draft night trade with Orlando.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-26-2009, 12:26 AM
God knows the owner of pick #14 is always open to selling his pick.

Stump
05-26-2009, 07:43 AM
God knows the owner of pick #14 is always open to selling his pick.
:lol

As starved as PHX is for solid young rotation players, surely they can't be willing to sell this pick too.

Right?