PDA

View Full Version : Weekly rant. I would say I'm a little pissed off at our State.

BacktoBasics
05-21-2009, 10:05 AM
http://www.caller.com/news/2009/may/12/cameras-may-get-1-2-3-red-light-texas-leans-phasin/

CORPUS CHRISTI — If Texas lawmakers continue on a path to phase out red-light cameras, a dozen in Corpus Christi would be done away with in 2012.

An amendment to the state’s transportation sunset bill passed Monday by the House, would keep Texas cities from signing, renewing or extending contracts for red-light cameras after June 1.

And once existing contracts lapsed, red-light cameras in Texas would be no more.

The red-light amendment, introduced by Rep. Solomon Ortiz Jr., D-Corpus Christi, and Rep. Gary Elkins, R-Houston, still needs Senate support and the governor’s signature to become law.

If it does, Corpus Christi’s cameras would go when the city’s five-year contract with Arizona-based public safety support company RedFlex Traffic Systems Inc. expires. The city began using cameras in April 2007.

Proponents of the cameras, including local police and city officials, say that they deter drivers from running red lights and causing serious accidents.

Detractors, including Ortiz, say that the cameras are moneymakers for municipal governments, but do little for public safety.

The red-light amendment is a fair way to get rid of the cameras that many Texans are against, said Chito Vela, general counsel for Ortiz.

“Cities have time to prepare for the end of the contracts and it gives them time to wean off of the revenue,” Vela said. “The vote on the amendment was 107 to 36. if that gives a sense of what members think of red-light cameras.”

Unlike the $150 red-light tickets given by police, the $75 tickets resulting from Corpus Christi’s cameras, are treated as civil violations comparable to parking tickets, not a moving violation which would go on your driving record.

While larger cities with red-light cameras such as Houston have made millions off of red-light citations, Corpus Christi got less than $130,000 in 2008, said Charlie Cardenas, the city’s traffic engineer. That profit came after paying the state a portion of the proceeds, which goes to regional trauma centers, and RedFlex, which provides the cameras. Under the terms of the contract approved in January 2007, the city pays RedFlex $584,000 annually in exchange for the company providing all equipment, installation and support costs.

Cardenas said drivers have gotten used to the cameras at high traffic intersections and the number of violations caught on film has fallen off, he said.

“After the first year, we did not see a lot of money,” Cardenas said.

The money earned from red-light camera tickets has been devoted to safety-related projects and equipment such as school zone flashers which cost $10,000 a piece, Cardenas said.

“Did we get a lot from it? Not really,” Cardenas said. “But something is better than nothing.

“If this happens law enforcement will have to kick it up a notch and be more vigilant at catching red-light runners. And as bad as things are (economically) that’s manpower that law enforcement does not have.”

Here it is again.

Cardenas said drivers have gotten used to the cameras at high traffic intersections and the number of violations caught on film has fallen off, he said.

“After the first year, we did not see a lot of money,” Cardenas said.

DOES EVERY FUCKING THING NEED TO BE ABOUT MONEY. What the fuck people. "Number of violations caught on film has fallen off". Fucking really.... and that's a bad thing? ISN'T THIS THE GOD DAMN FUCKING POINT. Less infractions less accidents less deaths. ITS WORKING YOU STUPID FUCKS. SORRY YOU CAN'T MAKE MILLIONS OFF IT BUT AT LEAST ITS SAFER OUT THERE.

I have no problems with these cameras. I live a block from one and I'll tell you first hand how bad that intersection was and its a million times better now. You have nothing to worry about if you aren't driving like a fucking jackass.

I'm so sick of these city people shitting on one thing or another. Fucking retarded. Yeah we get it okay. Bad driving equates to more revenue for the city. Fuck it lets just leverage all are lives on a little extra PROFIT. BECAUSE FUCKING PROFIT IS EVERYTHING. WE NEED MORE PROFIT. CAN I GET A SIDE OF FUCKING PROFIT WITH MY PROFIT....AND YEAH I'LL DRINK A LITTLE FUCKING PROFIT FROM THE FOUNTAIN OF PROFIT. PROFIT YOU AND YOUR PROFIT FUCKING FAMILY.

dimsah
05-21-2009, 10:11 AM
lol! Awesome post.

leemajors
05-21-2009, 10:13 AM
did you see the US House is considering a 300% hike on domestic beer excise taxes? Would mean an extra 45 cents at least on 6 pack prices. Craft brewing is a growing industry and they want to kill it.

BacktoBasics
05-21-2009, 10:16 AM
did you see the US House is considering a 300% hike on domestic beer excise taxes? Would mean an extra 45 cents at least on 6 pack prices. Craft brewing is a growing industry and they want to kill it.If I can get out of my god damn apartment I'm going to strictly home brew. I just don't have the space.

Bigzax
05-21-2009, 10:20 AM
profit.

Y0DA
05-21-2009, 10:23 AM
A prophet, B2B is not.

leemajors
05-21-2009, 10:33 AM
If I can get out of my god damn apartment I'm going to strictly home brew. I just don't have the space.

it's fun, i use it to cut down on my Stone addiction costs.

spurs_fan_in_exile
05-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Heard about this on the radio on the drive to work and I was baffled. Easjer and I just kind of exchanged a confused look.

Detractors, including Ortiz, say that the cameras are moneymakers for municipal governments, but do little for public safety.
This guy can go fuck himself. Let's say for the sake of argument that this is right (I don't think it is, but go with me). What the hell is so terrible about that by itself? Even if they don't make the streets any safer I have zero problem with a city taking the opportunity to make a revenue stream out of citizens doing something dangerous and illegal. We tax alcohol and tobacco. I just think of this as a dangerous driver tax.

But in the true spirit of Texas, in which lawmakers are being pressured by people who are upset that they can no longer break the law without penalty, some cities are finding ways to simply ignore the orders of the state government. Arlington plans on extending the contract of their cameras for another 20 years (http://www.star-telegram.com/arlington_news/story/1388645.html), and Houston is working to do the same before the law takes effect. (http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou090520_mp_red-light-camera-keep-on-shooting.21a37e81.html)

Wild Cobra
05-21-2009, 10:42 AM
I like the cameras. Too many people run red lights when they aren't around. I don't care if it's about money or not. It helps make irresponsible drivers, drive better.

BacktoBasics
05-21-2009, 10:42 AM
it's fun, i use it to cut down on my Stone addiction costs.
I have dreams of refrigerators full of kegs ready to be tapped. All at my disposal.

marini martini
05-21-2009, 10:55 AM
I have dreams of refrigerators full of kegs ready to be tapped. All at my disposal.

Maybe CC will invite you to one of his richer BBQ's if you provide the kegs of beer!!!:toast

Blake
05-21-2009, 10:59 AM
actually, I think our state handled this pretty well.

They made it very clear to municipalities that this camera system would be on a trial basis and if it could not be proven to reduce accidents, then it would be scrapped.

They even capped the fine at $75 and made sure that no points would be counted against your driving record if caught by a camera.

I'm pissed at the municipalities like Balcones Heights that are clearly in it for nothing but the money.

stretch
05-21-2009, 11:00 AM
I have no problem with the cameras, but I think that there should be a little more judgement used on giving tickets for running red lights. There are cases in which people are forced to either run the light, or get rear ended because of jackasses that are tailing them or changing lanes right at that moment. I once got a ticket from one of these when making a right turn on a red light. A RIGHT TURN. Their reasoning for this was that I was not stopped completely behind the line, which is stupid, because the only way I could even make a turn would be for me to pull out a little, because a stupid fucking SUV (which I hate the shit out of those things) was pulled out over the line to my left, so that I couldn't see the oncoming traffic.

Sure, this may help reduce red light runners, but lets be honest here... the ones that seriously cause problems, are the ones that run it well after it turned right... not a nanosecond after.

Extra Stout
05-21-2009, 11:22 AM
In applications where the intersections with cameras have warning signs, and the yellow light is long enough to decelerate from the speed limit safely, if the red light cameras are still making money, that's the violators' problem.

What often happens, though, is when these cameras fail to meet revenue expectations, the city will take down the warning signs (if allowed). Technically, I guess, since people are supposed to stop regardless of whether there is a camera, this could arguably be justified, though ostensibly the "public safety" aspect of these cameras is to improve safety at high-volume intersections, and the warning signs provide deterrence.

What often happens, though, when removing the signs fails to get revenue back to projections, is that the city will shorten the length of the yellow light below what is safe. Then, the driver caught by a short yellow light has a choice whether to proceed through the intersection and get a ticket, or stop suddenly and risk getting rear-ended. In my opinion, therefore, the first time somebody got hurt in an accident because they were rear-ended trying to stop for a camera-enforced red light with a short yellow, the official responsible for the cameras should be brought up on aggravated assault charges. But of course the law doesn't work that way because we put up with official tyranny if our lifestyle is sufficiently comfortable.

manufan10
05-21-2009, 11:26 AM
I have no problem with the cameras, but I think that there should be a little more judgement used on giving tickets for running red lights. There are cases in which people are forced to either run the light, or get rear ended because of jackasses that are tailing them or changing lanes right at that moment. I once got a ticket from one of these when making a right turn on a red light. A RIGHT TURN. Their reasoning for this was that I was not stopped completely behind the line, which is stupid, because the only way I could even make a turn would be for me to pull out a little, because a stupid fucking SUV (which I hate the shit out of those things) was pulled out over the line to my left, so that I couldn't see the oncoming traffic.

Sure, this may help reduce red light runners, but lets be honest here... the ones that seriously cause problems, are the ones that run it well after it turned right... not a nanosecond after.

Something similar happened to me, except that I was turning left on the green light. I got the ticket, and looked at the video. I was like, WTF it's a green light. I called and complained, but they said that you can only turn with the green arrow, and I had to pay the fine. :nope Not me. I didn't pay.

Extra Stout
05-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Something similar happened to me, except that I was turning left on the green light. I got the ticket, and looked at the video. I was like, WTF it's a green light. I called and complained, but they said that you can only turn with the green arrow, and I had to pay the fine. :nope Not me. I didn't pay.
Was there a sign that said "Left turn on arrow only" ? If not, take it to the judge. If so, you're out of luck.

Doing nothing will only make your life complicated when you want to renew your vehicle registration or your license. Or, you could just choose not to do either of those anymore and see how long you can make it before they arrest you.

BacktoBasics
05-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Was there a sign that said "Left turn on arrow only" ? If not, take it to the judge. If so, you're out of luck.

Doing nothing will only make your life complicated when you want to renew your vehicle registration or your license. Or, you could just choose not to do either of those anymore and see how long you can make it before they arrest you.
I made it almost 8 years. Then decided to pay my tickets because I didn't feel like ducking anymore.

manufan10
05-21-2009, 12:17 PM

No there's not. I drive by there all the time. I don't have that particular vehicle any more, and the vehicle I have now is not under my name. I will look into speaking to a judge about it, so we'll see what happens.

FaithInOne
05-21-2009, 01:26 PM
I drink your profit.

I

DRIIINKKKKK

YOURRRR

PROFFFFITTTTTT

I DRINK IT UP

mavs>spurs2
05-21-2009, 02:05 PM
I totally agree, it's all about the money. Officers don't really care if you come to a slight rolling stop (even though you're paying close attention) before going or if you cross the line by about an inch, or speed 5 miles over the limit. It's all about that one thing that makes the world go round.

MANGINA
05-21-2009, 02:07 PM
I always smile when I see those cameras.

Dr. Gonzo
05-21-2009, 02:40 PM
did you see the US House is considering a 300% hike on domestic beer excise taxes? Would mean an extra 45 cents at least on 6 pack prices. Craft brewing is a growing industry and they want to kill it.

It's about time they start raising taxes on beer instead of just cigarettes.

tp2021
05-21-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm so sick of these city people shitting on one thing or another. Fucking retarded. Yeah we get it okay. Bad driving equates to more revenue for the city. Fuck it lets just leverage all are lives on a little extra PROFIT. BECAUSE FUCKING PROFIT IS EVERYTHING. WE NEED MORE PROFIT. CAN I GET A SIDE OF FUCKING PROFIT WITH MY PROFIT....AND YEAH I'LL DRINK A LITTLE FUCKING PROFIT FROM THE FOUNTAIN OF PROFIT. PROFIT YOU AND YOUR PROFIT FUCKING FAMILY.

Yo dawg, I heard you like profit. so i got you a prophet so you can sell him and make a profit with your prophet.