PDA

View Full Version : Rubio will not come over if drafted by memphis or OKC

Darthkiller
05-21-2009, 10:51 AM
While Oklahoma City would obviously be extremely interested in the prospect of acquiring the top pick and drafting local product Blake Griffin, there is one team standing in their way – the Memphis Grizzlies, who own the #2 pick. From what people around the league are saying, Rubio’s camp may already be sending out feelers indicating that he’s not interested in the least bit in playing in Memphis.

“Rubio doesn’t want to go to Memphis, and he especially does not want to pay money out of his own pocket with that huge buyout for the honor of doing so. Fegan [Rubio’s agent] wants him in L.A., and if he can’t have him there, he wants him in Sacramento. Definitely not Oklahoma City. “

Unlike Griffin or Hasheem Thabeet, who don’t really have any choice where they will play next season if a team decides to play hardball, Rubio has a reasonably attractive alternative option at his disposal—returning to Spain.

“He’ll pull out if he doesn’t like what he’s hearing,” the NBA source tells us. “Or he can stay in and force the Grizzlies to call his bluff—would they really take him knowing that he may never come over? That’s one way to get him to fall to three.”

Fegan is already highly experienced in these matters, having unsuccessfully attempted to navigate fellow client Yi Jianlian towards the team of his choice in the 2007 draft, only to see Milwaukee foil his plans and pick him anyway. This time, though, he has a lot more leverage, as Rubio would likely have no problem staying in Badalona for another year or two or more if push came to shove. His buyout after all, is yet to be resolved, which in this case may actually be an advantage.

The Grizzlies are clearly aware of the politics surrounding their pick, but do not appear to be in any rush to make any decisions. “We’ll talk about all those things when they come up,” their General Manager Chris Wallace told us. “Right now we’re still in evaluation mode. We haven’t had any conversations with him [Rubio] or anyone else in his camp.”

Wallace shared that he will be headed out to Spain this weekend to watch Rubio compete in game three of the ACB playoffs, where Joventut will try to advance to the semifinals with a road win over Real Madrid. “I sent someone out there last week to watch him in the playoffs just in case we were able to move up,” Wallace told us. “He’s hardly a sleeper and he hasn’t been very difficult to track. We feel very comfortable with what we know about him right now.”

When asked whether Mike Conley’s status as Memphis’ tentative starter will deter the Grizzlies from selecting another point guard, Wallace indicated that that won’t be a factor. “We’re not in a position to be drafting for need. We’re going to go after the biggest talent available, whether that’s a big man or a point guard or whatever.”

What might make the most sense on paper would be for the Clippers and Grizzlies to work out a trade in which Memphis could take Griffin and Los Angeles would get Rubio. For that to happen, Memphis would have to part with one of their core assets, likely Rudy Gay. Obviously we’ll have to stay tuned, because as John Hollinger correctly indicated in his latest column last night’s lottery left more questions than answers for the teams drafting in the top 5.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#NBA-Draft-Roundup-May-20-3224

He has a huge ass buyout, which is worse 3 years of his rookie salary. the only way for him to comeover this year is to get an endorsement deal from sponsors. No company in their right mind will give him 5 millions if he plays in memphis or okc.

He can only get that money if he go to NY or LA.

Allanon
05-21-2009, 11:11 AM
He's crazy if he turns down OKC. That's a very up and coming team and he'll get major exposure.

But the Thundah already have Westbrook so he's kind of redundant there.

Lakers should trade Pau back to the Grizzlies for the #2 pick and Marc Gasol :D

KSeal
05-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Lakers should trade Pau back to the Grizzlies for the #2 pick and Marc Gasol :D

If only the Grizzles would do this I would be so down. Especially if we don't win the title this year.

Sign and trade Lamar with Farmar and a future pick for Marc and the #2 pick, that would be sweet if we weren't planning on resigning Lamar but I have no what the Lakers plans are.

Indazone
05-21-2009, 11:25 AM
They will pick Rubio anyway and make a deal to trade him to another city for a veteran. Gay for Battier style.

djohn2oo8
05-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Fuck Rubio....He'll get derek fisher'ed if he acts like a bitch in the NBA

endrity
05-21-2009, 11:38 AM
I guess the Gasol brothers, as well as J.C Navarro haven't told him good things about Memphis. That organizations really seems in shambles to me.

But on the other side, OKC is a team with a really bright future. If they could figure out him and Westbrook, he could be on one of the most succesful teams of the next decade.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Unlike Yi, Rubio can make good on these threats. If the Clippers are set on Griffin, this might help the Kings. They desperately need a PG and face for this franchise to sell tickets, Rubio can do both. It gives the Grizzlies and Thunder plenty of incentive to trade down and get what they can. The Kings have another first round pick and some young players to bargain with.

sonic21
05-21-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm sure it's just his agent talking. It's not like it's the first time.

This thread should be renamed "Rubio's Agent doesnt want him to go to Memphis or OKC" because I didnt see any quotes from Rubio in there.

Darthkiller
05-21-2009, 11:57 AM

This thread should be renamed "Rubio's Agent doesnt want him to go to Memphis or OKC" because I didnt see any quotes from Rubio in there.

yeah, because his agent will speak out even if rubio thinks the opposite.

the fact is that Rubio would lose money for his first 3 years playing for memphis. Or he can just pull out and stay in europe till his contract ends and then enter the draft.

Bukefal
05-21-2009, 12:01 PM

Exactly

IronMexican
05-21-2009, 12:02 PM
It would be pretty gay if he did that.

urunobili
05-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Sacramento FTW

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't believe so. He's the one that has to get his buyout down to a reasonable number, and then his NBA team can only pay $500,000 of it. If he goes to a city lacking in marketability or endorsement opportunities, it would be difficult to make back that lost money. It's not just a case of Rubio being a jackass, he has to look out for his financial well-being.

lefty
05-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Talk about burning your bridges

Spursfan092120
05-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Fucking bullshit..you don't put your name in the draft and then say "Oh..nevermind' if a team drafts you..there should be a rule against that.

Allanon
05-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Fucking bullshit..you don't put your name in the draft and then say "Oh..nevermind' if a team drafts you..there should be a rule against that.

There is a rule of sorts, if Rubio says no thankyou, the team that drafts him owns his rights. He can't come into the NBA ever until he deals with them/they trade him.

It's not the most perfect rule but there is some protection there although it can turn out to be a wasted draft pick.

Just like Splitter belongs to the Spurs, sort of.

IronMexican
05-21-2009, 01:28 PM
There is a rule of sorts, if Rubio says no thankyou, the team that drafts him owns his rights. He can't come into the NBA ever until he deals with them/they trade him.

It's not the most perfect rule but there is some protection there although it can turn out to be a wasted draft pick.

He should know all about it. Remember how much the Spurs got back for Scola.

Allanon
05-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Scola.

Low blow. :lol

Spursfan092120
05-21-2009, 01:30 PM

Exactly...the Splitter situation is bullshit in a more severe way. He's not chosing not to come over because he doesn't want to play for SA...he's staying over there because he's making more money. He could have expected that...and with that being the case, he shouldn't have put his name in the draft.

:splitter

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Exactly...the Splitter situation is bullshit in a more severe way. He's not chosing not to come over because he doesn't want to play for SA...he's staying over there because he's making more money. He could have expected that...and with that being the case, he shouldn't have put his name in the draft.

:splitter
No offense intended, but it's silly to get on players for making financial decisions. They are in no way obligated to you or the organization when it comes to making money. This is their livelihood and they should be allowed to make the best fiscal decisions for themselves. You draft a foreign player, you have to weigh the risks, like devaluation of the dollar and economic instability.

jacobdrj
05-21-2009, 01:59 PM
It is his right to hold out. It is the team's right to draft him knowing the risks.

I don't see a problem here.

He seems a little scrawny. I hope he fills in a little... He might be able to handle 40 games in the Euro league, but 82+ with that body type at that age... I would sit him for a year even if I did draft him. let him eat some protine and build a little muscle...

dirk4mvp
05-21-2009, 02:03 PM
What has he proved that allows him to have any say so?

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 02:09 PM
What has he proved that allows him to have any say so?
He doesn't have to prove anything when he has all the bargaining power.

IronMexican
05-21-2009, 02:10 PM
This really sucks for the Grizz.

Stump
05-21-2009, 02:11 PM
If he pulls out of the draft and allows Memphis is pick someone else, then I have no issue with it. If he stays in the draft, is taken by Memphis and then demands a trade to another team, that is lame.

mavs>spurs2
05-21-2009, 02:13 PM
What's up with all these little foreign bitches crying about what team they go to? They should be honored to get a chance to come play in the best league in the world and earn millions with the maximum potential for exposure. I don't see Nike giving multimillion dollar contracts to Ching Chang Chong in Bangkok Thailand, but if he comes here and proves himself the sky is the limit. Fuck these little whiney bitches, the NBA should blacklist this sissy looking kid.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 02:13 PM
It is his right to hold out. It is the team's right to draft him knowing the risks.

I don't see a problem here.

He seems a little scrawny. I hope he fills in a little... He might be able to handle 40 games in the Euro league, but 82+ with that body type at that age... I would sit him for a year even if I did draft him. let him eat some protine and build a little muscle...
I think Rubio's got a ton of question marks - not just his physique, but his lack of athleticism, his low shooting percentages, turnovers...and while I know he's played at a high level in Euroleague, he's still an 18 year old kid getting thrown onto an NBA court, likely with a bad team. Combine all that with the buyout, and I'd be pretty hesitant as a GM.

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 02:14 PM
This is a by-product of the Sports culture we now live in. Some athletes no longer feel that they actually have to play by the same rules everyone else does. They feel like they don't have to prove themselves...they should just get all they want, no questions asked. Rubio kinda sounds like a mental midget anyway, they had a thing on him before the lottery and they asked "what are three things people should know about Ricky Rubio?" one of his answers was "that I play basketball" Umm...duhhhh! Why the hell are they interviewing you before an NBA lottery? Because you can make paella?

dirk4mvp
05-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Fuck this guy. Give the Grizzlies Jordan Hill. Even tho they'll probably take Thabeet.

Spursfan092120
05-21-2009, 02:18 PM
It'd be great if they boycotted him or something. I hear the guy has a lot to learn about the game, anyway.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Fuck this guy. Give the Grizzlies Jordan Hill. Even tho they'll probably take Thabeet.
They're reportedly higher on Thabeet anyway. Though you'd have to be concerned about Marc Gasol chasing PF's around defensively. I say they should get what they can out of Sacramento, trade down to the 4th pick, and draft Hill there to pair him with Gasol.

Darthkiller
05-21-2009, 02:20 PM
If he pulls out of the draft and allows Memphis is pick someone else, then I have no issue with it. If he stays in the draft, is taken by Memphis and then demands a trade to another team, that is lame.

how is it lame. you cant blame him. he will be losing millions each year by playing for memphis. or instead he can EARN money by staying in europe

jag
05-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Talk about burning your bridges

How is he "burning his bridges"? I dont think you fully grasp the concept of that phrase.

Spursfan092120
05-21-2009, 02:24 PM
how is it lame. you cant blame him. he will be losing millions each year by playing for memphis. or instead he can EARN money by staying in europe
But the thing about it is, when you put your name in the draft, it's taking a risk...if you don't want to take that risk, don't put your name in the damn draft.

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 02:24 PM

If you don't want to go to the team that drafts you then don't put your name in the draft.

mavs>spurs2
05-21-2009, 02:26 PM

It'd be great if they boycotted him or something. I hear the guy has a lot to learn about the game, anyway.

:tu

Spursfan makes a great point, when these foreigners throw their little bitch fits they are defeating the purpose of our draft system. It's designed to let the worst teams pick the best players to improve their team and make the league more competitive as a whole. There should be a rule against this type of shit.

jag
05-21-2009, 02:29 PM
:tu

Spursfan makes a great point, when these foreigners throw their little bitch fits they are defeating the purpose of our draft system. It's designed to let the worst teams pick the best players to improve their team and make the league more competitive as a whole. There should be a rule against this type of shit.

It's not like Sac is this great basketball city that's playoff bound...he needs a place where he can make the most money considering how much his buyout is. If he's going to be paying out of his own pocket to play, then i think he has a right to have some say in the matter.

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 02:31 PM
It's not like Sac is this great basketball city that's playoff bound...he needs a place where he can make the most money considering how much his buyout is. If he's going to be paying out of his own pocket to play, then i think he has a right to have some say in the matter.

Fair point, but if he wants to choose where he plays, he shouldn't have entered the draft.

mavs>spurs2
05-21-2009, 02:33 PM

Why does he have to pay out of his own pocket if he plays?

lefty
05-21-2009, 02:34 PM
How is he "burning his bridges"? I dont think you fully grasp the concept of that phrase.

Well, he has no bridge yet, but he is already giving himself a bad rep.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Why does he have to pay out of his own pocket if he plays?
Because he has a hefty buyout from his Spanish club and his NBA team can only pay $500,000 towards it. If anything, the NBA needs to get rid of that stupid rule.

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Because he has a hefty buyout from his Spanish club and his NBA team can only pay $500,000 towards it. If anything, the NBA needs to get rid of that stupid rule.

Does the buyout amount count against the salary cap?

lefty
05-21-2009, 02:37 PM
I hope someone hits Rubio really hard in the face

lefty
05-21-2009, 02:39 PM
He is really stupid.

He should go to Memphis, that way Jerry West will trade him to the Lakers for their 2011 third round pick.

jag
05-21-2009, 02:44 PM

No. I think the $500,000 might, but what Rubio pays out of his pocket doesnt.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 02:46 PM
I don't believe so, I think teams are allowed to contribute up to that amount without having it count. Someone can correct me on that if not. Beyond that, what Rubio pays to get his rights released is out of pocket.

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Sounds like he would best be served by not entering the draft and then when his contract is up in Europe, become a free agent and then he could pick the team he wants. If he is really that good, he should be able to bank after his rookie deal.

IronMexican
05-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Sounds like he would best be served by not entering the draft and then when his contract is up in Europe, become a free agent and then he could pick the team he wants. If he is really that good, he should be able to bank after his rookie deal.

Don't you have to come in through the draft? Doesn't matter if you have a contract or not.

jag
05-21-2009, 02:53 PM

I'm pretty sure he is required to enter the draft until a certain age.

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Don't you have to come in through the draft? Doesn't matter if you have a contract or not.

No. Oberto was a FA signing.

IronMexican
05-21-2009, 03:02 PM
No. Oberto was a FA signing.

You sure he just didn't go undrafted? Aren't names put in there regardless or something? Wasn't Tiago Splitter in the draft forever, but was just never drafted, or am I tripping?

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty sure he is required to enter the draft until a certain age.
Players born in a certain year (1987 this year) are automatically eligible (e.g., Nando de Colo, Sergio Llull, Jerebko, Norel, etc.). Rubio's in the 1990 class.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 03:03 PM
You sure he just didn't go undrafted? Aren't names put in there regardless or something? Wasn't Tiago Splitter in the draft forever, but was just never drafted, or am I tripping?
Yes, Oberto went undrafted.

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 03:06 PM

No you have to submit your name to the draft. They are not entered for the players without the players consent.

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Yes, Oberto went undrafted.

but was his name ever submitted?

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 03:10 PM
but was his name ever submitted?
To my knowledge, you are draft eligible at a certain year, whether you enter your name or not. You are automatically entered - this year the class of 1987 is automatically eligible. Until you are automatically eligible, a foreign player can enter his name and later withdraw, in effect "testing the water" over and over. A player like Casspi did this last year, and could do it again this year if he doesn't get a guarantee. Oberto went undrafted when he was automatically eligible. Someone more well-informed than myself can feel free to step in and explain this if I've screwed it up.

IronMexican
05-21-2009, 03:11 PM
I think we need Bruno in here. He seems to know more than all of us.

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
To my knowledge, you are draft eligible at a certain year, whether you enter your name or not. You are automatically entered - this year the class of 1987 is automatically eligible. Until you are automatically eligible, a foreign player can enter his name and later withdraw, in effect "testing the water" over and over. A player like Casspi did this last year, and could do it again this year if he doesn't get a guarantee. Oberto went undrafted when he was automatically eligible. Someone more well-informed than myself can feel free to step in and explain this if I've screwed it up.

How do they determine the class year of eligibilty?

samikeyp

No shit! :)

DPG21920
http://nbpa.org/cba_articles/article-X.php

ARTICLE X: PLAYER ELIGIBILITY AND NBA DRAFT

INDEX
Section 1. Player Eligibility
Section 2. Term and Timing of Draft Provisions
Section 3. Number of Choices
Section 4. Negotiating Rights to Draft Rookies
Section 5. Effect of Contracts with Other Professional Teams
Section 6. Application to “Early Entry” Players
Section 7. Assignment of Draft Rights
Section 8. General

Section 1. Player Eligibility.
(a) No player may sign a Contract or play in the NBA unless he has been eligible for selection in at least one (1) NBA Draft. No player shall be eligible for selection in more than two (2) NBA Drafts.

(b) A player shall be eligible for selection in the first NBA Draft with respect to which he has satisfied all applicable requirements of Section 1(b)(i) below and one of the requirements of Section 1(b)(ii) below:

(i) The player (A) is or will be at least 19 years of age during the calendar year in which the Draft is held, and (B) with respect to a player who is not an international player (defined below), at least one (1) NBA Season has elapsed since the player’s graduation from high school (or, if the player did not graduate from high school, since the graduation of the class with which the player would have graduated had he graduated from high school); and

(ii)

(A) The player has graduated from a four-year college or university in the United States (or is to graduate in the calendar year in which the Draft is held) and has no remaining intercollegiate basketball eligibility; or

(B) The player is attending or previously attended a four-year college or university in the United States, his original class in such college or university has graduated (or is to graduate in the calendar year in which the Draft is held), and he has no remaining intercollegiate basketball eligibility; or

(C) The player has graduated from high school in the United States, did not enroll in a four-year college or university in the United States, and four calendar years have elapsed since such player’s high school graduation; or

(D) The player did not graduate from high school in the United States, and four calendar years have elapsed since the graduation of the class with which the player would have graduated had he graduated from high school; or

(E) The player has signed a player contract with a “professional basketball team not in the NBA” (defined below) that is located anywhere in the world, and has rendered services under such contract prior to the Draft; or

(F) The player has expressed his desire to be selected in the Draft in a writing received by the NBA at least sixty (60) days prior to such Draft (an “Early Entry” player); or

(G) If the player is an “international player” (defined below), and notwithstanding anything contained in subsections (A) through (F) above:

(1) The player is or will be twenty-two (22) years of age during the calendar year of the Draft; or

(2) The player has signed a player contract with a “professional basketball team not in the NBA” (defined below) that is located in the United States, and has rendered services under such contract prior to the Draft; or

(3) The player has expressed his desire to be selected in the Draft in a writing received by the NBA at least sixty (60) days prior to such Draft (an “Early Entry” player).

(c) For purposes of this Article X, an “international player” is a player: (i) who has maintained a permanent residence outside of the United States for at least the three (3) years prior to the Draft, while participating in the game of basketball as an amateur or as a professional outside of the United States; (ii) who has never previously enrolled in a college or university in the United States; and (iii) who did not complete high school in the United States.

(d) For purposes of this Article X, a “professional basketball team not in the NBA” means any team that pays money or compensation of any kind – in excess of a stipend for living expenses – to a basketball player for rendering services to such team.

Section 2. Term and Timing of Draft Provisions.
An NBA Draft will be held prior to the commencement of each NBA Season covered by the term of this Agreement and, despite the expiration of the other terms of this Agreement pursuant to Article XXXIX, prior to the commencement of the 2011-12 NBA Season (or, if the NBA exercises its option to extend the Agreement pursuant to Article XXXIX, prior to the commencement of the 2012-13 NBA Season). Each such Draft will be held prior to the July 10 preceding the commencement of the NBA Season on a date to be designated by the Commissioner.

Section 3. Number of Choices.
(a) The NBA Draft shall consist of two (2) rounds, with each round consisting of the same number of selections as there will be Teams in the NBA the following Season. Each Team shall be required to exercise any and all draft selections in its possession during each round of the Draft.

(b) If, pursuant to any provision of this Agreement or the NBA Constitution and By-Laws, any Team is required to forfeit one or more draft pick(s) in a particular NBA Draft, the number of players selected in the applicable round of the Draft will be reduced by the number of such forfeitures. (Thus, for example, if Team A is required to forfeit the ninth pick in the first round of the Draft (at a time when there are thirty (30) NBA Teams), there will only be twenty-nine (29) players selected in the first round of such Draft.) In the event the forfeiture relates to one or more first round picks, the Rookie Salary Scale will be adjusted as set forth in Article VIII, Section 1(b)(2). Other than as specifically agreed to herein, nothing contained in this Agreement shall be deemed to be an agreement of the Players Association to any provision of the NBA Constitution and By-Laws.

Section 4. Negotiating Rights to Draft Rookies.
(a) A Team that drafts a player shall, during the period from the date of such NBA Draft (hereinafter, the “Initial Draft”) to the date of the next Draft (hereinafter, the “Subsequent Draft”), be the only Team with which such player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract, provided that, on or before the July 15 immediately following the Initial Draft (for a First Round Pick), or in the two (2) weeks before the September 5 immediately following the Initial Draft (for a Second Round Pick), such Team has made a Required Tender to such player. If a Team has made a Required Tender to such a player and the player has not signed a Player Contract within the period between the Initial Draft and the Subsequent Draft, the Team that drafted the player shall lose its exclusive right to negotiate with the player and the player will then be eligible for selection in the Subsequent Draft.

(b) A Team that, in the Subsequent Draft, drafts a player who (i) was drafted in the Initial Draft, (ii) received a Required Tender from the Team that drafted him in the Initial Draft, and (iii) did not sign a Player Contract with such first Team prior to the Subsequent Draft, shall, during the period from the date of the Subsequent Draft to the date of the next NBA Draft, be the only Team with which such player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract, provided such Team has made a Required Tender to such player by the dates specified in Section 4(a) above. If such player has not signed a Player Contract within the period between the Subsequent Draft and the next NBA Draft with the Team that drafted him in the Subsequent Draft, that Team shall lose its exclusive right, which it obtained in the Subsequent Draft, to negotiate with the player, and the player will become a Rookie Free Agent as of the date of the next NBA Draft.

(c) If a player is drafted in an Initial Draft and (i) receives a Required Tender, (ii) does not sign a Player Contract with a Team prior to the Subsequent Draft, and (iii) is not drafted by any Team in such Subsequent Draft, the player will become a Rookie Free Agent immediately upon the conclusion of the Subsequent Draft.

(d) If a player is drafted by a Team in either an Initial or Subsequent Draft and that Team does not make a Required Tender to such player, the player will become a Rookie Free Agent on the July 16 following such Draft (for a First Round Pick) or on the September 6 following such Draft (for a Second Round Pick).

(e) A Team may at any time withdraw a Required Tender it has made to a player, provided that the player agrees in writing to the withdrawal. In the event that a Required Tender is withdrawn, the player shall thereupon become a Rookie Free Agent.

(f) A Team that holds the exclusive rights to negotiate with and sign a drafted player may at any time renounce such exclusive rights, except that, if the Team has made a Required Tender to the player, a renunciation shall not be permitted during the time the player has to accept the Required Tender under Article VIII. In order to renounce its exclusive rights with respect to a drafted player, a Team shall provide the NBA with an express, written statement renouncing such exclusive rights. The NBA shall provide a copy of such statement to the Players Association within three (3) business days following its receipt thereof.

Section 5. Effect of Contracts with Other Professional Teams.
If a player is drafted by a Team in either an Initial or Subsequent Draft and, during a period in which he may negotiate and sign a Player Contract with only the Team that drafted him, and either (x) is a party to a previously existing player contract with a professional basketball team not in the NBA that covers all or any part of the NBA Season immediately following said Initial or Subsequent Draft, or (y) signs such a player contract, then the following rules will apply:

(a) Subject to Section 5(b) below, the Team that drafts the player shall retain the exclusive NBA rights to negotiate with and sign him for the period ending one (1) year from the earlier of the following two dates: (i) the date the player notifies such Team that he is available to sign a Player Contract with such Team immediately, provided that such notice will not be effective until the player is under no contractual or other legal impediment to sign and play with such Team for the then-current Season (if applicable) and any future Season; or (ii) the date of the NBA Draft occurring in the twelve-month period from September 1 to August 30 in which the player notifies such Team of his availability and intention to play in the NBA during the Season immediately following said twelve-month period, provided that such notice will not be effective until the player is under no contractual or other legal impediment to sign and play with such Team for the then-current Season (if applicable) and any future Season.

(b) If, by July 1 of any year, the player notifies the Team that has drafted him that by September 1 of such year he will, immediately thereafter and for any future Season, be under no contractual or other legal impediment to sign and play with such Team, and provided that on such September 1 the player is in fact under no such contractual or other legal impediment, then, in order to retain the exclusive NBA rights to negotiate with and sign the player as provided in Section 5(a), such Team must make a Required Tender to the player by September 10 of such year.

(c) If the player gives the required notice by July 1 of any year, and the Team that drafted him fails to make a Required Tender by September 10 of such year, the player shall thereupon become a Rookie Free Agent.

(d) If, during the one-year period of exclusive NBA negotiating rights set forth in Section 5(a) above, the player signs a player contract with a professional basketball team not in the NBA and the player has not made a bona fide effort to negotiate a Player Contract with the Team possessing his exclusive NBA rights or such bona fide effort is made and such Team makes a Required Tender to such player in accordance with Section 5(b) above, then such Team shall retain the exclusive NBA rights to negotiate with and sign the player for additional one-year periods as measured in and in accordance with the provisions of Section 5(a) above.

(e) If, during the one-year period of exclusive NBA negotiating rights set forth in subsection (a) above, (i) the player signs a player contract with a professional basketball team not in the NBA, (ii) the player has made a bona fide effort to negotiate a Player Contract with the Team possessing his exclusive NBA rights, and (iii) such Team fails to make a Required Tender to such player in accordance with Section 5(b) above, then the player shall thereupon become a Rookie Free Agent.

(f) If, during the one-year period of exclusive NBA negotiating rights set forth in Section 5(a) above, the Team makes or has made a Required Tender to the player and the player does not sign a player contract with any professional basketball team, then (i) in the case of a player who was previously drafted in an Initial Draft, the next NBA Draft following such one-year period shall be deemed the Subsequent Draft as to such player, and the rules applicable to a player who is subject to a Subsequent Draft will apply, or (ii) in the case of a player who was previously drafted in a Subsequent Draft, such player shall become a Rookie Free Agent at the end of such one-year period.

(g) Notice under this Section 5 shall be provided in writing by personal delivery or pre-paid certified, registered, or overnight mail sent to the Team’s principal address or principal office (as then listed in the NBA’s records), to the attention of the Team’s general manager.

Section 6. Application to “Early Entry” Players.
If a player who is eligible for the Draft pursuant to Section 1(b)(ii)(F) or (b)(ii)(G)(3) above (an “Early Entry” player) is selected in such Draft by a Team, the following rules apply:

(a) Subject to Section 6(b) below, if the player does not thereafter play intercollegiate basketball, then the Team that drafted him shall, during the period from the date of such Draft to the date of the Draft in which the player would, absent his becoming an Early Entry player, first have been eligible to be selected, be the only Team with which the player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract, provided that such Team makes a Required Tender to the player each year by the date specified in Section 4(a) above. For purposes hereof, the Draft in which such player would, absent his becoming an Early Entry player, first have been eligible to be selected, will be deemed the “Subsequent Draft” as to that player, and the rules applicable to a player who has been drafted in a Subsequent Draft will apply. If the player, having been selected in a Draft for which he was eligible as an Early Entry player, has not signed a Player Contract with the Team that drafted him in such Draft following a Required Tender by that Team and is not drafted in the Subsequent Draft (as defined in the previous sentence), he shall become a Rookie Free Agent.

(b) If the player does thereafter play intercollegiate basketball, then the Team that drafted him shall retain the exclusive NBA rights to negotiate with and sign the player for the period ending one (1) year from the date of the Draft in which the player would, absent his becoming an Early Entry player, first have been eligible to be selected, provided that such Team makes a Required Tender to the player each year by the date specified in Section 4(a) above. For purposes hereof, the Draft in which such player would, absent his becoming an Early Entry player, first have been eligible to be selected, will be deemed the “Initial Draft” as to that player. The next NBA Draft shall be deemed the “Subsequent Draft” as to that player, and the rules applicable to a player who has been drafted in a Subsequent Draft will apply.

Section 7. Assignment of Draft Rights.
In the event that the exclusive right to negotiate with a player obtained in any NBA Draft is assigned by a Team to another Team, in accordance with NBA procedures, the Team to which such right has been assigned shall have the same, but no greater, right to negotiate with and sign such player as is possessed by the Team assigning such right, and such player shall have the same, but no greater, obligation to the Team to which such right has been assigned as he had to the Team assigning such right.

Section 8. General.
(a) The placement of a Rookie on the Armed Services List, or on any of the other lists described in the NBA By-Laws, or on any other list created by the NBA, shall not extend the period of exclusive negotiating rights which a Team has to any Draft Rookie beyond the period specified in this Agreement.

(b) Nothing contained herein shall prevent the NBA, in accordance with the applicable provisions of the NBA Constitution and By-Laws, from prohibiting or otherwise responding to violations by Teams of the exclusive NBA rights obtained in any NBA Draft, as set forth or referred to in this Article. Other than as specifically agreed to herein, nothing contained in this Agreement shall be deemed to be an agreement by the Players Association to any provision of the NBA Constitution and By-Laws.

(c) An Early Entry player who is eligible to be selected in the next NBA Draft pursuant to Section 1(b)(ii)(F) or (b)(ii)(G)(3) above shall be entitled to withdraw from such Draft by providing written notice that is received by the NBA ten (10) days prior to such Draft. A player shall not be entitled to withdraw from more than two (2) NBA Drafts.

(d) Any claim by a player that a Contract offered as a Required Tender pursuant to this Article X fails to meet one or more of the criteria for a Required Tender shall be made by written notice to the Team (with copies sent to the NBA and the Players Association), no later than ten (10) days after the receipt of such Contract by the Players Association. Such notice must set forth the specific changes that the player asserts must be made to the offered Contract in order for it to constitute a Required Tender. Upon receipt of such notice, if the requested changes are necessary to satisfy the requirements of a Required Tender, the Team may within five (5) business days offer the player an amended Contract incorporating the requested changes. If the Team offers such an amended Contract, the player shall be precluded from asserting that such Contract does not constitute a timely and valid Required Tender.

(e) For purposes of this Article X, any rights afforded to “a Team that drafts a player” shall also be afforded to any Team to which such rights are subsequently assigned.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 03:15 PM

How do they determine the class year of eligibilty?
Um, Bruno? :lol

I think it's just automatic at this point. 1986 class last year, 1987 class this year. Supposed to be in line with college grad's, I'd assume.

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Um, Bruno? :lol

I think it's just automatic at this point. 1986 class last year, 1987 class this year. Supposed to be in line with college grad's, I'd assume.

If someone graduated from college in 1986, wouldn't he be too old to play anymore? :)

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 03:20 PM
If someone graduated from college in 1986, wouldn't he be too old to play anymore? :)
Bah, you know what I mean :lol

Here's this year's eligible class, BTW - http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/International--87/

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Bah, you know what I mean :lol

Here's this year's eligible class, BTW - http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/International--87/

Actually I have no clue, but I would guess birth year?

DPG21920
05-21-2009, 03:25 PM
He means that they go by the graduating class' birth year. So anyone born in 1987 is automatically entered/eligible, then they can pull out of the draft I believe.

samikeyp
He means that they go by the graduating class' birth year. So anyone born in 1987 is automatically entered/eligible, then they can pull out of the draft I believe.

Thank you.

TheProfessor
Actually I have no clue, but I would guess birth year?
Yeah, that they're 21 and 22 year olds if they're coming out of the 1987 class, same age as most college grads.

Sorry if I was unclear, I'm still catching on with this stuff...

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 03:30 PM
So then I was correct by saying Oberto was a free agent. He was eligible to be drafted but wasn't therefore he could sign with any team just like a domestic player.

The early entry guys are the ones who actually have to notify the league that they can be drafted.

Now it all makes sense. :)

mavs>spurs2
05-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Sounds like Rubio should just honor the contract that he signed and then come over when the time is right.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Sounds like Rubio should just honor the contract that he signed and then come over when the time is right.
A little more info might help. It's hoopworld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12698), but it jives with what I've read elsewhere:

Rubio's signature is allegedly not on his current contract. As a 16-year-old, Rubio's parents signed his deal with DKV Joventut in his place. That distinction lends favor to Rubio and agent Dan Fegan.

However, DKV Joventut does have Rubio's signature on last season's addendum to the contract which gave the mop-topped point guard a pay raise. The team is trying to leverage that signature into either 6 million euros this season or as much as 10 million euros next season.

That's right. Rubio's buyout actually goes up next season, which means if the situation doesn't get resolved this year, it probably won't be resolved next season either. There is a remote possibility that Rubio doesn't arrive in the NBA until the 2011-2012 season.

According to one NBA agent "teams could definitely back off… The buyout itself is sticky."

Rubio and Fegan still fearlessly entered the draft this season and seem confident that a deal can be worked out. NBA rules stipulate that teams can only contribute $500,000 to a foreign player's buyout, which means Rubio will be paying the rest out of pocket. A lucrative marketing deal could soften the blow for the would-be rookie, but shoe deals have lulled with the economy.

baseline bum
05-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Rubio's doing the exact same thing Splitter did, except he didn't lie about wanting to come over to the US even if he had to sacrifice money like Splitter's bitch ass. LMAO Grizzlies; nothing good ever comes out of their PG picks in drafts:

Steve Francis
Antonio Daniels
Michael Conley
now Rubio too? :lmao

Memphis deserves a kick in the nuts like this after giving Gasol away for absolutely nothing.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-21-2009, 04:45 PM
He's not even ready for NBA. If he had a brain he would just wait 2 years.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-21-2009, 04:48 PM
A little more info might help. It's hoopworld (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12698), but it jives with what I've read elsewhere:

He signed a new contract with them this year and he signed it. It is true.

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 04:50 PM
He signed a new contract with them this year and he signed it. It is true.

Proof, please.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 04:51 PM
I find it strange to agree with you so much KBP, but yeah, he should definitely wait a couple more years. And if he received consideration for that addendum signature in terms of a pay increase, I would assume they can hold him to the contract and its buyout terms.

monosylab1k
05-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Dirk for Rubio.

no wait, this is me, not my imposter troll. nevermind.

Indazone
05-21-2009, 04:55 PM
If I was Memphis, I'd draft him and then trade him to the Rockets for oh I dunno, a starter like hmmm T-Mac. Package him with another Vet to make it work and we're all good. Maybe Darko or Gasol.

Rockets would then have Rubio and Gasol to take up that wasted space occupied by T-Mac.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-21-2009, 05:00 PM
No you have to submit your name to the draft. They are not entered for the players without the players consent.

How many times this have to explained in this board? This is wrong. Your name is automatically put in the draft if you are a foreign player for your age 22 birth year. You have no say in it it. Even if you do not want to be drafted like Nikola Pekovic you get drafted. You have no way out of it. The NBA just drafts them without permission. Foreign players have tried for years to get it changed and players association of NBA refuses because they say NBA players don't give a damn about the overseas players.

layupdrill
05-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Interesting...very interesting..

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Proof, please.

he got a huge fucking raise this year and he signed it. It is well known.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 05:02 PM
How many times this have to explained in this board? This is wrong. Your name is automatically put in the draft if you are a foreign player for your age 22 birth year. You have no say in it it. Even if you do not want to be drafted like Nikola Pekovic you get drafted. You have no way out of it. The NBA just drafts them without permission. Foreign players have tried for years to get it changed and players association of NBA refuses because they say NBA players don't give a damn about the overseas players.
Chill, some people don't know. It's really not a big deal.

Bukefal
05-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Those who have reached the minimum eligibility age of 19 and meet the criteria for "international" players are automatically eligible if they meet any of the following criteria:

- They are least 22 during the calendar year of the draft.
- They have signed a contract with a professional basketball team outside of the NBA within the United States, and have played under that contract.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Chill, some people don't know. It's really not a big deal.

But it is though because then an NBA team owns your rights forever. Look at David Andersen he is wanting to play in NBA for years and he cannot. Hawks refuse to sign him and refuse to trade his rights. So he can never ever play in NBA because of this. And he did not ask to be drafted they just did so without his permission.

Indazone
05-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Just give Rubio to us. You know you want to.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 05:09 PM
But it is though because then an NBA team owns your rights forever. Look at David Andersen he is wanting to play in NBA for years and he cannot. Hawks refuse to sign him and refuse to trade his rights. So he can never ever play in NBA because of this. And he did not ask to be drafted they just did so without his permission.
Yes, I know the system's unfair. But it's silly to get upset at posters who are unaware.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Just give Rubio to us. You know you want to.
What if you guys traded back into the first round and got Nick Calathes? He might pair well with Brooks in the backcourt.

Indazone
05-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Lets trade Scola back to the Spurs. He sucks. We all know this to be true because Whottt says so.

Bruno
05-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Taking aside cases like Brandon Jennings, there are 2 mains categories of draftable players:
- International players, who are basically foreigners who don't play in the USA.
- College players.

International players becomes automatically eligible if they turn 22 years old during the year of draft. They can early-enter in the draft if they turn 19,20 or 21. They have the right to withdraw their name 2 times of the early entry list.

College players are automatically eligible when they are senior. They can early-enter if they are freshman, sophomore or junior. They have the right to withdraw their name 1 time of the early entry list providing they didn't sign with an agent.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-21-2009, 05:14 PM
What if you guys traded back into the first round and got Nick Calathes? He might pair well with Brooks in the backcourt.

Not ready for NBA. He was cut from junior Greek national team.

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Taking aside cases like Brandon Jennings, there are 2 mains categories of draftable players:
- International players, who are basically foreigners who don't play in the USA.
- College players.

International players becomes automatically eligible if they turn 22 years old during the year of draft. They can early-enter in the draft if they turn 19,20 or 21. They have the right to withdraw their name 2 times of the early entry list.

College players are automatically eligible when they are senior. They can early-enter if they are freshman, sophomore or junior. They have the right to withdraw their name 1 time of the early entry list providing they didn't sign with an agent.

I think foreign players can withdraw 3 times.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 05:16 PM
- College players.

Where the hell were you earlier? :lol

Bruno
05-21-2009, 05:17 PM

No.

Indazone
05-21-2009, 05:19 PM
If I was Memphis, I'd draft him and then trade him to the Rockets for oh I dunno, a starter like hmmm T-Mac. Package him with another Vet to make it work and we're all good. Maybe Darko or Gasol.

Rockets would then have Rubio and Gasol to take up that wasted space occupied by T-Mac.

lol actually now that I think about this. This actually isn't a bad trade for both parties. It kinda makes sense. T-Mac's expiring for Rubio and Gasol or Rubio an Darko. T-Mac has to play well because it's a contract year and then Memphis gets 23 million dollars coming off the books in 2010.

Houston gets a good point guard and larger in the front court.

Bruno
05-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Where the hell were you earlier? :lol

:depressed

:)

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-21-2009, 05:20 PM
lol actually now that I think about this. This actually isn't a bad trade for both parties. It kinda makes sense. T-Mac's expiring for Rubio and Gasol or Rubio an Darko. T-Mac has to play well because it's a contract year and then Memphis gets 23 million dollars coming off the books in 2010.

Rubio is probably 2 years from being NBA ready. He would not be good answer for the Rockets.

IronMexican
05-21-2009, 05:21 PM

Stop with the bullshit lies.

05-21-2009, 05:22 PM
hope he falls to the spurs then!

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Stop with the bullshit lies.

Well ESPN and draftexpress says they can 3 times so there.

TheProfessor
05-21-2009, 05:24 PM

Keep dreamin' :lol

A scenario I've heard that does make sense is for New York to trade the number 8 pick, along with a re-signed David Lee and whatever else Memphis wants for the second pick. Memphis gets a productive PF to pair with Gasol and some flexibility with the 8th pick, D'Antoni gets his Euro PG. Oh, not to mention Rubio gets a shit-ton of endorsements to make up for the buyout.

Indazone
05-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Rubio would be perfect for the Rockets. We'd have Brooks, Lowry, and Rubio for our guards. Rubio could come off the bench.

Bruno
05-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Well ESPN and draftexpress says they can 3 times so there.

An Early Entry player who is eligible to be selected in the next NBA Draft pursuant to Section 1(b)(ii)(F) or (b)(ii)(G)(3) above shall be entitled to withdraw from such Draft by providing written notice that is received by the NBA ten (10) days prior to such Draft. A player shall not be entitled to withdraw from more than two (2) NBA Drafts.

College players can only withdraw one time because of a NCAA rule.

DPG21920
05-21-2009, 05:33 PM

(c) An Early Entry player who is eligible to be selected in the next NBA Draft pursuant to Section 1(b)(ii)(F) or (b)(ii)(G)(3) above shall be entitled to withdraw from such Draft by providing written notice that is received by the NBA ten (10) days prior to such Draft. A player shall not be entitled to withdraw from more than two (2) NBA Drafts.

Once again, am I invisible ;)

Kill_Bill_Pana
05-21-2009, 05:35 PM

Well ESPN and draftexpress are always making mistakes so no surprise.

Bruno
05-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Once again, am I invisible ;)

No you aren't. :)
I copy/past this specific CBA point from your post.

samikeyp
05-21-2009, 06:11 PM
he got a huge fucking raise this year and he signed it. It is well known.

Again, proof please. You get mad when people call you a liar yet you refuse to back up your statements...until you do...you are a liar and a coward.

Rogue
05-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Rubio es mejor muchacho en la borrador charco de esto temporada, tan usted es un idiota. Su rapidez and papido velocidad son ambos maravilloso, que hara su un gran jugardo en NBA.