PDA

View Full Version : Peavy trade to White Sox

IronMexican
05-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Waiting to see what it's for on ESPN First Take.

ducks
05-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Padres, Chisox wait to see if Peavy approves deal
By ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP Sports Writer
28 minutes ago

Printable View
Return to Original Buzz up!2 votes PrintCHICAGO (AP)—Jake Peavy(notes) can now decide whether he wants to pitch for the Chicago White Sox.

The San Diego Padres have agreed to send the ace to the White Sox, and the teams were waiting to see if Peavy would waive his no-trade clause, a person familiar with the talks told The Associated Press.

The person spoke Thursday on the condition of anonymity because the deal was not finalized.

Peavy’s agent, Barry Axelrod, said he hadn’t spoken to the 2007 NL Cy Young Award winner since Wednesday afternoon, just before the pitcher went to the ballpark.

“My suspicion is he still has a strong preference to stay in the National League,” Axelrod said.

“I know nothing more than I knew yesterday afternoon. I don’t know if there’s a deal in place, if a deal’s close, or whatever. There was a question posed to us as to whether Jake’s position on going to the American League was still cast in stone or whether he’d consent to going to an AL team, specifically, the White Sox.”

A call and e-mail to Peavy weren’t immediately returned. Padres general manager Kevin Towers hadn’t returned several calls and text messages seeking comment.

Padres chief executive officer Jeff Moorad said the team would not comment, citing last fall’s situation where Towers spoke openly about the possibility of moving Peavy. The Padres spoke with the Atlanta Braves and Chicago Cubs, but talks eventually broke off.

Several reports said the White Sox would send top pitching prospect Aaron Poreda(notes) and young left-hander Clayton Richard(notes) to San Diego as part of the package.

White Sox reliever Scott Linebrink(notes), Peavy’s friend and former Padres teammate, said he spoke with Peavy by telephone Wednesday and believed there was a “50-50 chance” the pitcher would agree to the trade.

The Padres, who lost 99 games last season and aren’t expected to contend this year, have been cutting payroll. Peavy is to earn $11 million this season, $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011 and $17 million in 2012. The Padres have a $22 million option for 2013 with a $4 million buyout.

White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf has expressed concern about spending big money in the current economic climate. Several older, high-paid players— including Jim Thome(notes), Jermaine Dye(notes), Jose Contreras(notes) and Octavio Dotel(notes)—can leave after this season, freeing up payroll for the most expensive part of Peavy’s contract.

The White Sox are off to a slow start, but are expected to contend in the closely bunched AL Central.

AP Sports Writer Bernie Wilson in San Diego contributed to this report.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AuMnMwQwsI41id9aLWqGiWCpu7YF?slug=ap-padres-whitesoxtrade&prov=ap&type=lgns&print=1

JamStone
05-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Peavy says no thanks (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4195965)

CHICAGO -- Jake Peavy is staying with the San Diego Padres.

The ace pitcher turned down a trade to the Chicago White Sox, choosing Thursday to remain with his longtime team.

The Padres and White Sox had reached an agreement, but needed the 2007 Cy Young Award winner to waive his no-trade clause.

"As of right now, this is the best place for us to be. We made that decision for the time being," Peavy said before Thursday night's game against San Francisco.

"It's been a crazy 24 hours," he said. "I don't want to be any kind of distraction to the team. We're playing as well as we possibly can, winning five in a row and I've got a big game tomorrow night vs. the Chicago Cubs."

Peavy said he would answer additional questions about his decision after Friday night's start.

Peavy, who turns 28 later this month, is 3-5 with a 3.82 ERA. He made his major league debut with San Diego in 2002.

Several reports said the White Sox would've sent top pitching prospect Aaron Poreda and young left-hander Clayton Richard to San Diego as part of the package for Peavy.

White Sox general manager Ken Williams declined comment earlier in the day and did not immediately respond to a message after Peavy's decision.

Earlier in the day, while they were waiting for Peavy's announcement, the White Sox lost 20-1 to the Minnesota Twins.

"I hope he don't watch the scoreboard because he might say no," White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said.

San Diego talked to the Cubs and Atlanta Braves during the offseason about a deal for Peavy.

On Thursday afternoon, Peavy's agent, Barry Axelrod, said, "my suspicion is he still has a strong preference to stay in the National League."

"There was a question posed to us as to whether Jake's position on going to the American League was still cast in stone or whether he'd consent to going to an AL team, specifically, the White Sox," Axelrod said.

The Padres, who lost 99 games last season and aren't expected to contend this year, have been cutting payroll. Peavy is to earn $11 million this season, $15 million in 2010, $16 million in 2011 and $17 million in 2012. The Padres have a $22 million option for 2013 with a $4 million buyout.

pkbpkb81
05-21-2009, 09:07 PM
no he isent he said NO

EricB
05-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't want to live in Chicago either.

Smart move.

Horry For 3!
05-22-2009, 12:19 AM
I figured Peavy would reject it. White Sox suck too.

IronMexican
05-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Peavy wants to come a little bit north. Dodgers need a starting pitcher. Once the playoffs start, LA is going to need one.

ducks
05-22-2009, 02:31 PM
peavy for chris young

JamStone
05-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Chris Young already pitches for the Padres.

:king

EricB
05-25-2009, 01:51 AM
I believe he is reffering to the DBag's outfielder.

Ok, Todd Wellemeyer, Mitchell Boggs, and Jaret Hoffpauer.

Try and turn that down San Diego.

What?

The Cardinals don't want to spend money cause their owner is a cheap douchebag?

Nevermind.

Udokafan05
05-25-2009, 10:38 PM
He says he doesnt want to go to Chicago right now, but if it was the Cubs he would already be there. Cant blame him though, San Diego is a lot better city to live in than Chicago.