PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey: A big thing? Rasho as himself

Kori Ellis
03-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Buck Harvey: A big thing? Rasho as himself
Web Posted: 03/28/2005 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032805.1E.COL.BKNspurs.harvey.17e904d07.html

San Antonio Express-News

There's a way to explain Rasho Nesterovic, and it goes like this.

Kevin Garnett has yelled at him, fans and the media have wanted more from him and the years have gone by. At this point in his career, it should be clear by now. Nesterovic is what he is.

Simple enough. But then he plays the biggest players on two of the NBA's hottest teams in 2005, and it becomes harder to explain Rasho Nesterovic.

Because then he becomes precisely what the Spurs want him to be.

Even the Spurs shake their heads at that. Some on the staff say they would like to take credit for seeing this when they signed Nesterovic, but they didn't see it. They are as amazed as anyone when Nesterovic trots out a half-dozen times a season to shadow either Shaquille O'Neal or Yao Ming.

Nesterovic doesn't shut down either player, because no one can. But he moves his feet, stays in position, sometimes fronts, sometimes bumps and generally plays post defense that ranks with any played against Shaq and Yao.

For all the fans who often wonder if Nesterovic earns his $42 million contract: He will if the Spurs play the Rockets in the first or second round and the Heat in the last.

Nesterovic smiled when asked why he's had success against the biggest. "I guess because I'm big," he said.

Then he made sure to compliment Yao. "He's not slow. He's smart. He has a feel for the game, which is why he's a great player."

Going by that standard, Nesterovic is a great player, too. He held Yao to 6-for-14 shooting Sunday afternoon, and Nesterovic had more blocks and more rebounds.

In the fourth quarter, with the game tight, Yao scored only one basket. And with about eight minutes left, with Nesterovic leaning on Yao and with Yao tired and frustrated, Manu Ginobili raced around both centers and swiped the ball from Yao.

The same Rasho who barely had a pulse on the road trip is the same Rasho that Gregg Popovich couldn't wait to gush about.

"Rasho never gets the credit he's due," Popovich said. "People will complain about him forever because they don't really know the game. He had 10 points and seven rebounds and three blocks. Those are pretty good numbers, but they're not David Robinson numbers."

As for David Robinson numbers: In Yao's first regular-season game against the Spurs, with Tim Duncan standing next to Robinson in December of 2002, Yao went for 27 points and 18 rebounds.

That was a blip for Robinson. He usually loved going against larger players, too, because they made him feel quicker. Among his victims was Dikembe Mutombo, now a Rocket, when Mutombo was in his prime as the defensive player of the year in Denver.

It's a common NBA theme; the game is often about match-ups. Robert Horry, for example, says Sean Elliott was always a problem for him early in his career. "Because Sean made me feel slow," Horry said.

Bruce Bowen doesn't see as many contrasts. He defends often the same player every night, albeit one in a different uniform. From Kobe Bryant to Tracy McGrady, what's the real difference?

After Sunday, not much. Bowen says McGrady is now shooting the way Bryant does. Which is often and from anywhere.

Nesterovic, instead, sees a wide range of challenges. From Amare Stoudemire to Shaq — they play the same position in name only.

But the details go deeper for Nesterovic. It isn't just about size or speed. It's about how the centers play. If he runs into role players who simply bang — which is what he found in both New York and Indiana on the road trip — then his own role is diminished.

But when he draws Yao or Shaq? Then he knows the ball is coming to them, and he has to play every angle and care about every move.

"They'll never know the kind of defense he plays," Popovich continued.

If Nesterovic is getting some credit today, it won't last. Seattle comes to San Antonio next, and the Sonics don't have a post scorer. So Nesterovic will wander, take a few jumpers and defend cutters when he can. And some will wonder about his contract and why he doesn't do more.

They should remember there's a way to explain Nesterovic. He is who he is, and Sunday is part of that.

timvp
03-28-2005, 01:12 AM
Rasho has really turned it around. He was coasting through the season but sometime around the All-Star break, he decided to start playing.

Props to him.

slayermin
03-28-2005, 01:18 AM
Rasho has stepped up since the Rose for Nazr trade. I hope he keeps it up.

T Park
03-28-2005, 01:42 AM
What, no one wants to disagree with Buck???

I wonder whos been saying this about him all year.

Kori Ellis
03-28-2005, 01:46 AM
Those quotes by Pop are him answering my questions tonight, TPark. I asked him for you :)

T Park
03-28-2005, 01:49 AM
Gracias Kori.

Today showed exactly what Ive said about Nesterovic from day 1.

When you put him in a position of importance, most of the time hes gonna step up.

HIs D on Yao Ming, and his offense was EXACTLY what the team needs.

Now Buck is right, hes not gonna have a statisticly GREAT game but hes gonna do what he does, pick off guys for manu and tony to have clear paths, block some shots, hard fouls, and this and that.

Kori this was my favorite quote

People will complain about him forever because they don't really know the game

Ive said that since about March of last year.

If you truely did that Kori, I apreciate it.

Now after his next good game, I might have some questions for you to ask HIM. :)

Just kidding.

BTW, ETA for me in SA, is April 9th.

Hopefully a playoff preview RT??? :) hehe.

timvp
03-28-2005, 01:54 AM
What, no one wants to disagree with Buck???

I wonder whos been saying this about him all year.

Too bad Rasho has only been playing this well for about a month now.

T Park
03-28-2005, 02:03 AM
Too bad Rasho has only been playing this well for about a month now.

Too bad its been his defense all year Ive been trumpeting.

Solid D
03-28-2005, 02:25 AM
"Rasho never gets the credit he's due," Popovich said. (quote) "People will complain about him forever because they don't really know the game.

whottt
03-28-2005, 03:00 AM
It's funny, when we signed Rasho I think everyone was expecting him to be an average to passable defender and a good offensive player, and the Spurs were going to make him more of an emotional player with a kinder gentler approach than Garnett took....that's what he was in Minnesota and he chafed at Garnett's firey approach...

It's been just the opposite...In San Antonio he's been a good defender and a bad offensive player...and the project to make him more emotional has been a failure(I claim credit for saying "he is what he is" 2 years ago right after we signed him)

Add the two togther and you get what I have been saying about him for a long time...the guy has all around talent that puts him in the top 3 centers in the West(Yao and Miller)....And he plays his best when he is emotional.

He has the talent to be a Star...and if he played with emotion game in and game out he would be...we all assume he wants to do that and can't figure out why he doesn't listen to anyone...but it's really simple when you think about it...

Rasho doesn't want to be a star...Rasho wants to just do his job in the background and go looking for chick in bars and that are open after 2am(I am beginning to think that is a Slovenian thing).

Rasho definitely seems to play his best against great centers...Remember the best game of his career came against David Robinson...who I am sure he respects and it wouldn't surprise me if his respect for the Admiral(and Duncan) was part of the reason he wanted to come to SA.

Buck is right on this one...Rasho is Rasho and he shows up with his A game when he chooses to show up and that's all there is to it...I don't think there is anyway to punch his buttons to get him to play with emotion on command...

It all means that Rasho is a lot better than people give him credit for being...but he deserves the rippings he gets when he doesn't show up....because he is a complete C when he shows up and one of the best in the conference.

I've never thought he was soft though, he puts the hammer on guys and you can tell by looking at their reactions sometimes...

Ask Yao what it feels like to get a big Slovenian Elbow in the face...

...and I bet if there is one C in the NBA Kobe thinks twice about challenging it's Rasho...

Rasho is and will continue to be an enigma that frustrates a lot of Spurfans...but we could be a lot worse off...

Karl Mundt
03-28-2005, 04:23 AM
That's a pretty good take from Whott. Rasho doesn't get a lot of credit from a lot of fans for the way he affects the game, but he is still frustrating to watch, because you can see he could be an all-star if he just played with maximum intensity each time he was on the court. But he's just too timid and too passive most of the time to get his best out of himself and moving to a more friendly enviroment in all respects here in San Antonio hasn't done much to change that.

Now i have an idea that probably hasn't been tried yet. I hope Kori can help with this:

It seems Rasho plays his best when he is enraged about something... so why not try to orchestrate events that would piss him off somehow before every game, like someone keying his car, or delivering tacos to his house 10 times a day. I know Kori has connections in the Spurs organization where she could probably get information helpful to the cause and from what i have read, someone like Manny would be more than willing to do the dirty work.

whottt
03-28-2005, 04:31 AM
I think Rasho does play with more emotion for the Spurs than he did for the Wolves but I don't think it's because of anything the coaching staff has done...I just think he wanted to get out of Minnesota...I think it's a little more than just a job to him here because he likes his teamates and feels comfortable here...whereas I don't think he did in Minnesota. Garnett has that effect on a lot of his teamates.

Slomo
03-28-2005, 05:08 AM
I've said it numerous times (Mannyisgod is my witness) that beside Ben Wallace nobody guards Shaq and Yao better than Rasho. Thank you Pop for agreeing with me :).

Rasho definitely seems to play his best against great centers...Remember the best game of his career came against David Robinson...who I am sure he respects and it wouldn't surprise me if his respect for the Admiral(and Duncan) was part of the reason he wanted to come to SA. He said at the time that the Spurs were at the top of his wishlist and he was very honored when Pop flew out to Ljubljana to talk to him. There is no better way of showing respect for the organization than taking less money in order to be part of it - something Rasho and other Spurs have done.

I've never thought he was soft though, he puts the hammer on guys and you can tell by looking at their reactions sometimes... I've never thought Rasho was soft. He played more consecutive games in Minnessota and in SA than any of his teammates - and being a center in the NBA I'm sure he was hurting in quite a few of them. He is timid though - and when he's emotional enough to forget about it he plays much better. I do think he has become more outspoken in SA, which shows that he is more comfortable in his shoes than he was in Minny - so I don't think we've seen his best game yet.

Rasho has really turned it around. He was coasting through the season but sometime around the All-Star break, he decided to start playing. I do not think it's a deliberate decision. People who know Rasho personally always talk about how much he likes the game and how much he cares about the losses - so motivation doesn't seem to be the issue here. I also disagree that he has only been playing well since the AS break, I will agree that since then he is more consistant in the sense that he keeps his game up the whole 4 quarters.

It's also true that he has played without TD more during that stretch. He's always very careful to get out of TD's way on the court - is that because of him or is it something that he is instructed to do? Rasho is a hard worker and a very disciplined person - My opinion is that his main problem when TD is on the floor is that he is too rigid in the execution of his duties.

Rasho wants to just do his job in the background and go looking for chick in bars and that are open after 2am(I am beginning to think that is a Slovenian thing). :eyebrows

You haven't tried the pear brandy yet have you? We're manly men over here (as proven by Brezec's picture in another thread) so hanging in bars is the favourite hobby over here (at least until our wives don't order us home :( ).

zeleni
03-28-2005, 05:41 AM
That's a pretty good take from Whott. Rasho doesn't get a lot of credit from a lot of fans for the way he affects the game, but he is still frustrating to watch, because you can see he could be an all-star if he just played with maximum intensity each time he was on the court.

It seems Rasho plays his best when he is enraged about something...

Rasho and his intensity...

Back in Slovenia Rasho was on fire with his coach Zmago Sagadin, central and east european institution of coaching, for he did not like to have passion enforced from outside. So they seperated after Olimpija had one of most succesful years behind. Slovenian adventures always make strongest impact on the Slovenian players.

SLOVENIA and SPORTS:

We have aproximately enough money to finance one team. Maybe a half of a NBA franchise. But still we do finance partially almost every existing sport on which we have athletes, that are eager to compete in. So financial reasons makes us to export problematic or succesful players that we cannot any longer afford. Success is so in homeland a reason to go away, and go away fast. On average players stays in Slovenia even half developed for maximum 3 seasons (that is true for every team sport, individual sport are financed differently). So to be exported for emotional reasons is a great burden for a player. Rasho has largely developed where he didn't play.

Nesterović moved to Italy, where he was left to do his job as he knew best. And he done it. In Minesotta he was forced to be a soft hand on a very passionate head of Kevin Garnett. He there could only do what he was let to do. There his peace of mind become the most important thing. On the job conflicts rarely produce quality, unless passion makes conflicts holy. Garnett does not make conflicts holy (his conflicts with Wally is still the unsaid reason for things to fail). Duncan doesn't like conflicts. So Rasho just needs to do his job properly. Passion for his game cannot be doubted. He just needs to develop the hammer to kill the bugs in his head. Udrih, i hope, made that possible. They played great in Sweden together. I think Rasho's best basketball on that tournament.

Kori Ellis
03-28-2005, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the info, Zeleni. And welcome to the forum. The Slovenian community is growing and growing here.

boutons
03-28-2005, 05:49 AM
"They played great in Sweden together"

"They" is Rasho and the bugs in his head? :lol

Welcome to the forum. Always great to see the Slovenian idioms transliterated into English! :lol

Do you think Rasho would loosen up and play with less reticence if he soaked those bugs in a 250 ml of pear brandy before the game and at the half? :lol

fonzy16
03-28-2005, 06:04 AM
It seems Rasho plays his best when he is enraged about something... so why not try to orchestrate events that would piss him off somehow before every game, like someone keying his car, or delivering tacos to his house 10 times a day. I know Kori has connections in the Spurs organization where she could probably get information helpful to the cause and from what i have read, someone like Manny would be more than willing to do the dirty work.

:lol :lol :lol

yeah or send him a hot picture of his woman with the guy he is playing against that day

TMSKILZ
03-28-2005, 07:02 AM
I like most here have been frustrated with Rasho, b/c our expections for him & that position are so high, since the GREAT DROB left us a Champion.

Spurs fans & most NBA people know that another quality Center next to TiMVP would rekindle the Twin Towers. But Rasho is what he is & I think his personality has a lot to do with his game on the court.

Take yourselves for examples, when you go play a game of hoops, if you're timid & worry about missing a shot or screwing up, b/c your teammates will verbably dog you, it affects your game. I think with Rasho that clearly was the case in Minn playing with KG. Not that Kg is a bad person or teammate, but that's his personality & he meant well, but it doesn't work on everybody, especially someone like Rasho who takes that as a negative, instead of a encouragement & positive thing.

Rasho is a solid def, but unfortunately in the NBA if you not an All-Star or fan favorite the Ref's will not give you many calls & call BS fouls on you. Watching the Hou game, Rasho had 2 BS foul calls made on him gaurding Yao. When Yao mad ehis spin to the rim he drove right into Rashos chest, Rasho had his feet planted & arms straight up in the air, Yao initated the contact, but of course the ref's baile dhim out & called the foul on Rasho. That's frustrating b/c it gets Rasho into quick fouls early in games forcing him to the bench & forcing us to go smaller.

Rasho's offense needs polish, he has moves, but he seems to rush his shots @ times missing badly or making a bad T.O.

The fact he doesn't attack the rim much & still way too often settles for layups close to the rim instead of dunks is frustrating as well as his lack of getting to the line & putting opponents into foul trouble.

zeleni
03-28-2005, 07:06 AM
"They played great in Sweden together"

"They" is Rasho and the bugs in his head? :lol

Welcome to the forum. Always great to see the Slovenian idioms transliterated into English! :lol

Do you think Rasho would loosen up and play with less reticence if he soaked those bugs in a 250 ml of pear brandy before the game and at the half? :lol

When you drown worries, they come back floatin' ;)

Slovenes have a talent to transliterate languages. Spanglish-wise. :)

Loosen up? Then you have a sock to guard a stone... Thight-ass guys know best top guard, dear comrade in fanship. :smokin

Question with Rasho is only Tim Duncan. Do they get along? Was that partially thereason for Malik's goodbye?

ata
03-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Rasho and his intensity...

Back in Slovenia Rasho was on fire with his coach Zmago Sagadin, central and east european institution of coaching, for he did not like to have passion enforced from outside. So they seperated after Olimpija had one of most succesful years behind. Slovenian adventures always make strongest impact on the Slovenian players.

WTF? Sagadin is solid coach, but he left financial hole, after he left Olimpija. He is no "institution", come on (remember CZ?).
Sagadin benched Rasho, as Rasho didn't want to sign 6 (six) year contract to Olimpija, he wanted to discipine him and to lower his possibilites to sign with good european team. Rasho proved him wrong, he signed with Kinder Bologna and developed him self to the NBA level, Sagadin has really no significant role in Rasho's developement.

Binji
03-28-2005, 08:57 AM
WTF? Sagadin is solid coach, but he left financial hole, after he left Olimpija. He is no "institution", come on (remember CZ?).
Sagadin benched Rasho, as Rasho didn't want to sign 6 (six) year contract to Olimpija, he wanted to discipine him and to lower his possibilites to sign with good european team. Rasho proved him wrong, he signed with Kinder Bologna and developed him self to the NBA level, Sagadin has really no significant role in Rasho's developement.
Yep, UO still hasn't managed to recuperate from Zmago's spending. As a coach he was good in preparing the players but in games he often just failed.

zeleni
03-28-2005, 09:32 AM
development of players...

Rasho became a great international player elsewhere. But there was not the core of his development. He became great in Slovenia, but did not want to be pressured to be a great player locked in a club. That should be respected about him. Realising his potential and running away before being absolutely drained. Now we have a Georgian, that gave his profesional youth to Olimpija, and he does not complain... ;) So settle down.

Sagadin is institutional?

Being in a club for such a long time, he was important to any great Slovenian basketball player. He created and coached almost a half of quality coaches we use in European basket and are Slovenes.
He coached a team that will (still hoping that they lose by Olimpija) win Adriatic league final 8 and coached the coach, that is coaching SZ now. Being a little funny, he did a lot of coaching. :blah
As for a larger scale... Name a bigger club in his time on this vast territory. :elephant

A hole in Olimpija?

Give me a break. Is this a topic for Spurs or not? :angel
Go to a Slovenian basketball forum to get whoopin' :pctoss

whottt
03-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Please don't take your argument elsewhere, it's entertaining and some of us want to see how Slovenians argue. It's like a cultural exchange, you guys get to see us argue all the time so let us see how you guys argue(if possible in English because I don't speak Slovenian :) )

Useruser666
03-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Rasho has really improved. If he can keep playing like this, he will forfill all the reasoning the Spurs had when they signed him. Good job Rasho.

zeleni
03-28-2005, 10:17 AM
okej then ;)

first a presentation of Olimpija ( Euroleague (http://www.euroleague.net)):

When a country of 2 million people generates as many great players as Slovenia, there has to be some magic at work. In the Slovenian capital of Ljubljana, the magicians wear the green of Union Olimpija, a club that has become known as something of a talent farm. The basketball club today is called Union Olimpija, was founded in 1946 as a section of the Svoboda Physical Culture Society. The first basketball game was played the same year against Udarnik and Olimpija came out on top with the score of 37-14. Late in 1946, the club was renamed Enotnost and was known by that name until 1954 when it assumed the name ASK Olimpia. Since 1997, the club has been called by it current name, Union Olimpija. Olimpija conquered its first national title of then Yugoslavia in 1957. In one of the world's best emerging leagues, Olimpija went on to dominate the next 15 years, winning the Yugoslav title five more times, in 1959, 1961, 1962, 1966 and 1970. A new era for the club began with Slovenia's independence, when dominance took on another meaning, namely 10 consecutive years of winning both the league and cup trophies in Slovenia. In the international arena, 1993-94 was the club's best season as they took home the European Cup against Spain's Tau Ceramica under the direction of coach Zmago Sagadin, who reached an Euroleague Final Four in 1997, losing to soon-to-be champs Olympiacos. Over the past few seasons, Olimpija has stood out as one of the most ambitious clubs in Europe, competing in three or four separate competitions. In 2001-02, the Slovenian team won the triple crown, taking the Slovenian League championship, Slovenian National Cup and the Adriatic League. The following season, Olimpija fielded a team composed mainly of home grown talent and young players. The results in the Euroleague were amazing and inspirational to smaller clubs in Europe: Olimpija made it to the Top 16, and they won three of the first four games, enough to hold hopes of making the Final Four up until the final day, when they were stopped in Barcelona by the champs-to-be. The team managed to win the Slovenian Cup, but its amazing Euroleague run may have drained the team of its energy, as it failed to repeat as champions in the Slovenian League and Adriatic League. In 2003-04, Olimpija made it back to the Adriatic League Final Four and the Euroleague Top 16 despite losing some key players the previous Summer, like Vlado Ilievski and Goran Jurak. Besides, Olimpija regained the Slovenian League title by sweeping all its playoff rounds, leaving no doubts about which is the dominant team in Slovenia. Lesson: don't ever count out this homegrown superpower.

Now something completely different:
Zmago Sagadin's hole in a budget. How the hole could not be made. We do not have the money for one Euroleague, and still we had 3 years ago 2 club in Top 16. And before that that happened twice (Krka Telekom, Brewery Laško). We at that time also had Euro 2000 and WC, where Football Association collected for their fairytale results a great deal of financial support. Most of skiing and ski jumping revenues are calling constantly for financial aid b/c their timely equipment.
Handball has survived in Slovenia only for its cheapness. Basketball only couse be can export players to basketballwise needful states, that for creating quality pool players imports Americans and ex-yugo countries to encourage home players to reach for the stars beating them.
We are condemned to be average in time to come for soon we would need to import players ourselves. :(

Solid D
03-28-2005, 10:37 AM
I think Rasho's good play is related to his lips not looking so blue lately. :hat

It's kinda like, red sky in morning...sailors take warning, or something.

Useruser666
03-28-2005, 10:44 AM
Like Dreamcatcher!

Jimcs50
03-28-2005, 11:04 AM
In light of the current condition of TD and the trade of Malik, who here besides me think Karl Malone would have been a great acquisition now?

Slo spurs fan
03-28-2005, 11:19 AM
I think Rasho's good play is related to his lips not looking so blue lately. :hat

You are a little obsessed with his lips. Are you gay? (Not there is anything wrong with that) :lol

Binji
zeleni: recpecta :wow :ava

whottt
zeleni, that's some heavy complex stuff there. I guess it's not easy trying to be a world basktball power as such a small country. I had this impression that you guys just played basketball and drank. I was kind of envious.

Solid D
03-28-2005, 11:24 AM

You are a little obsessed with his lips. Are you gay? (Not there is anything wrong with that) :lol

:lol

No. I'm far from it... but you probably know how it goes in this Forum. Once something starts (teasing and smak)...it's difficult to stop.

Binji
03-28-2005, 11:25 AM
I had this impression that you guys just played basketball and drank. I was kind of envious.
Well there is a lot of drinking no denial about that :spin
But we do a lot of other things too. And we do them very well. Couple of guys in a book of records, major force in a lot of sports and a lot of great scientific minds :king

Slo spurs fan
03-28-2005, 11:28 AM
:lol

No. I'm far from it... but you probably know how it goes in this Forum. Once something starts (teasing and smak)...it's difficult to stop.

Yea like avalanche! :lol

By the way, I miss you in the game blogs Solid D!!!! :depressed

whottt
03-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Is handball more popular than basketball over there? What is the most popular sport?

whottt
03-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Question with Rasho is only Tim Duncan. Do they get along? Was that partially thereason for Malik's goodbye?

Duncan and Malik are very good friends...some people think Duncan okayed Malik being traded but I don't think he did....

Slo spurs fan
03-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Is handball more popular than basketball over there? What is the most popular sport?

Soccer

Oh and no, bball is more populat than handball. But we are good in ice hockey too. We are in the same group with USA, Canada and Austria I think (WC).

whottt
03-28-2005, 11:33 AM
:eyebrows

You haven't tried the pear brandy yet have you? We're manly men over here (as proven by Brezec's picture in another thread) so hanging in bars is the favourite hobby over here (at least until our wives don't order us home :( ).

LOL..never tried pear brandy from Slovenia, but I have drank some Peppermint schnaaps(sp) from Germany...pretty potent stuff. I can't handle it.

whottt
03-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Soccer

Is the most popular athlete in your country Rasho or a soccer player?

Slo spurs fan
03-28-2005, 11:42 AM

I think it was a soccer player few months back, but right now I think there is more than one athlete wery popular here. There are ski jumpers (we have a world champion), soccer players, bball players, handballers and many more.

Slomo
03-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Is the most popular athlete in your country Rasho or a soccer player? At the moment it's probably Rok Benkovic - Ski Jump World Champion from three weeks ago. It's funny because I don't think we have one major sport superstar with almost divine status (like Maradona was in Argentina for example). It changes a lot.

Our NBA guys are getting a lot more recognition lately - they announce the results of their teams at the end of the main news programmes with a short commentary - something that they did not do last year (or even at the beginning of the season).

Although they are quite popular I think a major factor is the fact that most people do no know (appreciate) how difficult the NBA season is - many imagine it to be similar to the euroleague with better players :). That's largely due to to how difficult it is to follow the NBA over here - although judging by this forum interest is increasing :lol.

Dario
03-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Handball is definately most popular game in slo, we have mens club euro champions and womens club euro champions, not to mention our international team came second in europe only behind germany.

Slo spurs fan
03-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Handball is definately most popular game in slo, we have mens club euro champions and womens club euro champions, not to mention our international team came second in europe only behind germany.

It is most successful, NOT most popular. Remember 10.000 Slovenians in Amsterdam (Euro 2000). I didn't saw 10.000 Slovenians in Tunis last year. Not to mention A LOT of us in Japan and Korea.

And by the way: nice sig. :lol It should be Ducks sig

Dario
03-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Ye ducks can have it if he wants it, i was more impressed by rastafarovich pic anyway :)

MannyIsGod
03-28-2005, 03:33 PM
www.welcometoslovenia.com

;)

E20
03-28-2005, 04:34 PM
In Your Face Rasho Haters!!!!!!!!!!

1Parker1
03-28-2005, 06:40 PM
I am still not impressed with Rasho. He is very inconsistent on offensive, hardly ever gets to the line, his rebounding is lacking some games while other games he's great. I don't expect him to score 10 pts and grab 10 rebounds every game, but I do expect him to be more consistent with his intensity. I do agree with TIMVP that he has been playing better since the AS game. Maybe we need to run more plays for him...

desflood
03-28-2005, 06:46 PM
I wasn't too impressed with Parker yesterday!

1Parker1
03-28-2005, 06:50 PM
LOL. Brilliant comeback desflood! :)

He wasn't great, but he wasn't that bad either. He led in rebounds and assists, his offensive game was off. Just because I'm a fan of Tony's doesn't mean I don't see and acknowledge his weaknesses **cough*FT Shooting*cough**

:)

desflood
03-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Hah! Freethrows are the whole team's weakness. Well, that and weak ankles... :p

whottt
03-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Actually the game yesterday was probably the best one Tony has had in a while...The last 5 or 6 games before that he had been pretty inconsistent and sometimes downright bad.

But yesterday he did a great job on Sura until the game was out of reach, and he was also our leading rebounder I think...The Rockets are huge team and for the shortest starter on the court for either team(by quite a few inches) to be the leading rebounder is pretty impressive. He hustled yesterday.

Rummpd
03-28-2005, 08:34 PM
I said two months ago for anyone to name 5 better starting defensive centers and no one took me up on it.

In my view, Wallace, O'Neil (only when motivated), J O'Neil (when playing Center) are the only three definite centers better defensively, especially when Rasho is motivated. Yao has the potential as does Daembert (spelling?) of Philly but there are not many others that bring as much defensively as Rasho. Motumbo also on the Rockets for short periods is also stout but he is a reserve.

If he can continue to bring 8-12 points a game and keep this up = he is exactly what Spurs need!

T Park
03-28-2005, 09:09 PM
I am still not impressed with Rasho.

color me suprised, another basketball bozo.

But thats ok Parker1, When you rip Rasho for his inconsistency, and you being a huge fan of Tony Parker, the hypocrisy shows its self right there.

Maybe we need to run more plays for him...

NAHHHH YA THINK!?!??!!?!?

Ive been saying this since October but was told SHUT UP.

ShoogarBear
03-28-2005, 10:20 PM

Does the water go clockwise or counterclockwise when you flush the toilet?

whottt goes into Sequ-mode . . .

1Parker1
03-28-2005, 10:21 PM
color me suprised, another basketball bozo.

But thats ok Parker1, When you rip Rasho for his inconsistency, and you being a huge fan of Tony Parker, the hypocrisy shows its self right there

There's a reason people are always telling you to SHUT UP, T-Park, maybe you should take a hint :princess

Also, what does my being a fan of Tony Parker have to do with this thread? I have never said that Tony was a consistent player. At least he brings other things to the game this year when he is sucking on offense (case in point, the Houston game where he went 5-13, but still managed to lead the team in rebounding and assists, while played great D on Sura). Pre-all star game, Rasho was not playing that great. Even POP called him out to the press. All I am saying is, I wish I'd see some more fire and effort from Rasho on a consistent basis.

whottt
03-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Shoogar...that's a good question about which way the water runs when you flush the toilet...I always assumed that it runs the same way everywhere and never considered the possibility that it might not. I feel smarter now somehow. Thanks for the enlightenment.

ChumpDumper
03-28-2005, 10:28 PM
You should ask our southern-hemisphere friends.

ShoogarBear
03-28-2005, 10:30 PM
http://www.eblong.com/zarf/pic/enlightenment.gif

SequSpur
03-29-2005, 12:38 AM
You all have been Popavamboozled again. Fricking Puppets.

Yall are F'd in the A.

Rasho sucks.

SequSpur
03-29-2005, 12:45 AM
"Rasho never gets the credit he's due," Popovich said. (quote) "People will complain about him forever because they don't really know the game.

:smokin

Strokin.

T Park
03-29-2005, 01:48 AM
So a two time NBA champion head coach is pretty much saying Sequ,

you dont know dick.

zeleni
03-29-2005, 06:39 AM
zeleni, that's some heavy complex stuff there. I guess it's not easy trying to be a world basktball power as such a small country. I had this impression that you guys just played basketball and drank. I was kind of envious.

Do not be envious. We are in similar position that you guys are. The best players must all the time wager their basketball profesional resumes with the national teams ones. Being so, we most often underachieve our goals. That is hoping to change in Belgrade championship. Again we are called favourites, and again we have problems with injuries. Americans have NBA, we have not got the money for a simple proffesional treatment. Rasho is one of the loudest critics of our status quo. In short I hope for revolution - and a title.

benji, :lol , did you get whopped? ;)
I didn't know there is so much Slovenes here!

Complex?
Shit, world is complex, dude! :spin

As for Rasho and hisself. Support him, and he will be even better.

angel_luv
03-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Buck Harvey said what I have been saying all along- only way better =).
All I can add is that its about time Rasho got some love. He's the best!

desflood
03-29-2005, 06:08 PM
I love Rasho even when he stinks.

whottt
03-29-2005, 06:12 PM
Do not be envious. .

I'm not anymore...I was only envious when I thought all you guys did was drink and play basketball, that seemed like kind of a fun life :)

angel_luv
03-29-2005, 06:15 PM
hi Whott... long time no talk ! =)

whottt
03-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Hiya Angel ! The chatroom isn't the same without you there to defend Rasho:)

angel_luv
03-29-2005, 06:18 PM
I miss you guys a lot! It's good to know Rasho still needs Luv ( as in Angel) ! Hehe!

Dario
03-29-2005, 06:53 PM
I still cant see why some people wants someone whos FT are terrible to go to the line more. Imo its like i wrote several times in here just lack of basketball knowledge or its regarded in USA that a player must dunk atleast once and have some FT's to be considered good. People calling for players to go to FT more please enlighten me once and for all why is that so important?

1Parker1
03-29-2005, 08:13 PM
^^It gets the opposing player if foul trouble. Which comes in handy when you have guys like Yao and Shaq defending you.

boutons
03-29-2005, 08:18 PM
teams can score 20 - 30 pts/game at the FT line. that 20% - 30% of the typical total PPG. drawing fouls is always a good thing. DAL scored 49 pts on FTs against SA in the 03 playoffs.

being able to stop the clock by drawing a foul in crunch is important when you are behind.

The sooner you get the other team into the penalty, the better (2 shots instead of 1). A lot of games are won/lost at the FT line.

xcoriate
03-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Apparently rasho is on the list for all time lowest FT%. I mean he had to make some kind of career stat but this...

ChumpDumper
03-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Rasho isn't a closer.

Horry is.

Horry closes.

Dario
03-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Ye FT's are important, easy to shoot, nice to have players that averages 80% and all. Rashos FTs are below 50% imo, which takes me again to my question, why you think its so necessery for him to shoot FTs to be a good player...
PS: and another question - would you like to see him have FTs for the win in the final seconds or not?

Brodels
03-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Rasho is the most frustrating player to watch in the NBA. He'll show that he can score in the post and hit the midrange jumper, then he'll disappear offensively for ten games. He's very good night in and night out defensively, but you just never know what you're going to get on the other end from him.

He has that little sweeping hook, a turnaround jumper, and a couple of other moves. If he can effectively utilize them one night, he should be able to do so on other nights. It's almost like he doesn't even have those moves in his arsenal three quarters of the time.

In my mind, Rasho can improve most by becoming more of a force offensively when he doesn't get the ball. He's not going to get a lot of post action when Duncan comes back. And Pop shouldn't be running very many plays for him when Parker, Manu, Duncan, Barry, Beno, Brown, and Horry all can be more effective scorers.

So what he needs to do is make a difference even when he doesn't get touches. He needs to offensive rebound. He needs to put himself in the right position to receive passes under the basket from Manu and Parker when they drive. It can be quite crowded under the basket, so he'll need to pick and choose his spots. As good as he was the other night, it's certain that he'll disappear again soon.

He needs to create his own opportunities. There are players who can do that effectively. Rasho needs to do it.

Solid D
03-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Ye FT's are important, easy to shoot, nice to have players that averages 80% and all. Rashos FTs are below 50% imo, which takes me again to my question, why you think its so necessery for him to shoot FTs to be a good player...
PS: and another question - would you like to see him have FTs for the win in the final seconds or not?

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/rasho_preview_050330.jpg

This photo is Exhibit A on why Rasho doesn't shoot a high FT %. Check out the position of the support (left) hand. This hand should have little or nothing to do with the shot.

Solid D
03-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Rasho, Robert and Nazr had better be very active and physical tonight against Seattle's James, Evans and Collison. Plenty of fouls and a measure of revenge by the Spurs, perhaps, in store for Mr. Jerome.

The Sonics were very active and competed hard in the 4th quarter last night, in a very good, although somewhat lucky, win in Memphis.

Dario
03-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Most big players got lots of problems with their big hands, they just dont have that much feeling when throwing FTs. On the other hand, rashos hands position on this picture is simply wrong and he as NBA player with big wage should know it, he should be ashamed actually. Same goes for his coaching staff. I said couple of months ago, if i was rashos coach i would make him throw FTs after the practice for hour or when he would throw down decent % of his shots.
Ow and i got another question for some of you braniacs: would you like rasho to try more 3pt shots? I mean 3 pts is better then 2 right regardless of his % to hit one...

boutons
03-30-2005, 02:29 PM
"they just dont have that much feeling when throwing FTs"

oh shit, GMAFB.

Hand size has nothing to do with feeling for a shot. Shooting requires total body co-ordination. If you can't control your body precisely for a given objective, you won't be able to shoot very well. Perhaps "good enough" after 1000s and 1000's of practice shots and muscle-memory training, but you'll never be a natural, graceful shooter.

Most tall men are playing basketball for exactly and primarily one reason: they are TALL, NOT because they are athletically co-ordinated.

Rasho is the perfect example, unathletic by his own admission.

Solid D
03-30-2005, 02:30 PM
One way to cure the "over-support" by the support hand is to shoot them one-handed...the support hand can be up by the ball, just not touching the ball. I've seen Rasho trying some 1-handed FTs recently but I honestly cannot tell you if he's still doing that. He shoots FTs so infrequently in games.

Dario
03-30-2005, 03:03 PM
You dont need to be athletic to shoot FTs :)
PS: and if you meant that he doesnt have soft touch from that distance, you are wrong, he is known that he has midrange shot