PDA

View Full Version : Could we possibly deal with the Clippers??

macdude06
05-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Leave it to the Clippers to be conflicted by the No. 1 pick. Blake Griffin is a power forward, and Los Angeles currently is paying power forward Zach Randolph $33.3 million through 2011. Center Chris Kaman is on the books for $34 million through 2012, and Marcus Camby has one year left at $7.6 million. Meanwhile, in the backcourt sits the $60 million white elephant known as Baron Davis, whose return to Los Angeles was an unmitigated disaster. The Clippers wouldn't have minded sending Davis back to Golden State (which reportedly is eager to have him back) and pairing Rubio with Eric Gordon. That said, Griffin is a franchise-altering talent, and those don't come around often. The Clippers have to focus on moving the talented but troubled Randolph. No way does Mike Dunleavy want to risk tainting Griffin with any of Randolph's bad habits. Plus, because the two play a similar style, they wouldn't mesh well. The problem is, the Clippers aren't going to have much leverage.

THink we could make a move for Camby to clear up some bigman space for them to draft Griffin?? He also fits in the 10' salary cap.. and we made a play last year..

mosdef17
05-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Why do Spurs fans want Camby for?? He is not what we need?? I just don't get it.

We need scoring! More accurately... Scoring from the SF position, we need athleticism and energy. We don't need a guy that can rebound and play good help defense. He is not even a good one on one defender, he just likes to fly in at the last second to get a blocked shot. I wouldn't be happy if we traded for Camby at all. Wouldn't be angry, just not really happy... I don't see him helping us much at all. If you want to trade with the Clippers, ask for Kaman! At least the guy can shoot and score easily around the basket as well as being a good defender and shot blocker.

We need someone like Richard Jefferson (even though I hate how long and large his contract is). There are other guys that would fit what we need but he is an example. Caron Butler is my ideal dream but that's a bit too much to hope for.

lefty
05-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Let's trade the Mexicans for all the black Clipper players

Donald Sterling would be happy about that.

Mel_13
05-21-2009, 09:22 PM
I personally think the Clippers are going to deal that pick and Blake Griffin. I would venture to say that they would entertain a pick for pick trade of 1 for 5-7. It happens in the NFL, The NHL, and MLB all the time. I could see them trading the 1 pick for OKC 3 and 25 picks.

As far as the Spurs. I think they are not in the Mix for that pick.

it never happens in MLB

macdude06
05-21-2009, 09:39 PM
I personally think the Clippers are going to deal that pick and Blake Griffin. I would venture to say that they would entertain a pick for pick trade of 1 for 5-7. It happens in the NFL, The NHL, and MLB all the time. I could see them trading the 1 pick for OKC 3 and 25 picks.

As far as the Spurs. I think they are not in the Mix for that pick.

I was referring to Camby not the pick?

mosdef17
05-21-2009, 09:47 PM
macdude06, do you want to answer the question as to why you want Camby? What he brings to the team that the Spurs lack and why we should give up multiple players to pay him over $7m for one seasons play?

montgod
05-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Honestly, and I have said this before, Camby is just KThomas with shot blocking skills. With the minutes, I think KThomas would provide the same type of rebounding numbers to an extent. So if the Spurs could dump one of their centers and someone else to get him, I would be all for it.

Camby does add a David Robinson-type defensive presence and would definitely help for a year. Depending on the deal, I would be okay with him coming aboard as long as the Spurs were also able to address their void at SF as well.

mosdef17
05-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Camby does add a David Robinson-type defensive presence

Don't insult D-Rob like that...

montgod
05-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Don't insult D-Rob like that...

I wasn't referring to D-Rob in his prime, but his last two years in the league. Besides that... I said David Robinson-like... meaning similar, but not as good as. However...lets compare their stats in the context I was referring to.

D-Robs stats last two years in the NBA:
02 -03
8.5 ppg
8 rbds
1.7 blks

01-02
12 ppg
8.3 rbds
1.8 blks

Camby's stats last year:
08-09
10 ppg
11rbd
2.1 blks

Pretty similar...

mosdef17
05-21-2009, 10:12 PM
I hate when people compare stats, it's so stupid... I guess we can conclude that Chris Anderson is a better defender then Tim Duncan from stats and we can also conclude that Shane Battier really does nothing when he is on the court cause he doesn't record stats. Camby isn't that good of a defender, he jumps at a lot of shots from the weak side and gets a lot of blocks. But, give me a guy like D-Rob any day of the week who will keep his feet and play 1 on 1 defense in the post, not just come flying in from the weak side at the last second looking to play last second defense...

This isn't your fantasy league, it's the real thing. Stats have very little meaning.

Biggems
05-21-2009, 10:18 PM
I was hoping OKC would have won the lottery...then maybe we could have convinced Presti to trade us back our #1 for maybe a player and one or two of our later 2nds.

Then we could have drafted G/F Sam Young in the 1st and G/F Danny Green in the 2nd. With Hill, Bowen, Manu and if we were to re-sign Hairston, our perimeter D would be quite impressive.

montgod
05-21-2009, 10:31 PM
I hate when people compare stats, it's so stupid... I guess we can conclude that Chris Anderson is a better defender then Tim Duncan from stats and we can also conclude that Shane Battier really does nothing when he is on the court cause he doesn't record stats. Camby isn't that good of a defender, he jumps at a lot of shots from the weak side and gets a lot of blocks. But, give me a guy like D-Rob any day of the week who will keep his feet and play 1 on 1 defense in the post, not just come flying in from the weak side at the last second looking to play last second defense...

This isn't your fantasy league, it's the real thing. Stats have very little meaning.

Yeah yeah... however, I am sure the Spurs would have loved to have a few more rebounds and blocks this season compared to what they had on the roster.

Of course, Camby isn't in the same league as David Robinson as a defender. We all know that, but it doesn't mean that he wouldn't help in the same regard in providing some blocks and rebounds which are areas that the Spurs sorely need. Whether they come from the weak side or not doesn't mean that they wouldn't have helped team defense. I would trust that if the Spurs were already actively trying to trade for him last year they would know how to utilize him in a way that would benefit the SPurs.

So... in your response, who would you suggest the Spurs pick up or trade for to help fill a void on the Spurs team?

mosdef17
05-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Well if you want to deal with the Clippers I think Kaman would be a better target the Camby, I know his contract is longer and probably bigger (without looking) and I think he is a better defender and will also help us with our offensive struggles as he can go to work in the post and step out for a mid range jumper. Also, has a more solid and bigger body then Camby does. Although, it could be harder to ask for Kaman then Camby.

I'm not too sure we need to make a trade for a shot blocker anyway. I just don't see the point in wanting to pay Camby $7.6m for next season, why wouldn't we just give Chris Anderson a call and throw some of the mid-level exception at him? Say $3m-$4m. I'm not a huge fan of that move either but I think we could get the same impact kind of player for a lot cheaper. Not only will it be cheaper but the assets we would have moved in order to get Camby, i.e the partially guaranteed contracts of players like Bowen etc... These partially guaranteed contracts are the best trade asset that we have as a team and should be used on a higher impact player then Camby.

Someone that could be traded simply for expiring and partially guaranteed contracts would be Richard Jefferson, they need to find money to pay for Charlie V and Ramon Sessions to re-sign. Not only re-sign but those guys will be getting large pay increases from what they were on last season. We could throw Bonner, Oberto, Bowen and maybe a future second round pick to help them cut the contracts. In a trade Oberto and Bowen could account for $7.5m but they could be bought out for about a total of $4m. We need the scoring from the small forward position and RJ would be a nice fit in there. However, I don't like how big his contract is.

My dream is Caron Butler... but realistically that won't happen.

duncan228
05-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Some Camby conversation and info:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124663

And some Kaman conversation and info:

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125401

smrattler
05-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Clippers are getting the lotto pick, if they are trying to rebuild and dump salary, you move useless guys like Randolph if anyone is dumb enough to take him. Unfortunately, the Clippers WERE the dumb ones in that very trade with NYK! Wow, NYK made another team look dumb in a trade, wow. You get rid of Kaman too maybe, who is potentially tempting for some teams, but his ankles might make him hard to move too.

But you dont dump an expiring contract and a player like Camby (older but can help a winner) unless you get good picks or young players in return (neither of which Spurs have or would give up).

montgod
05-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Well if you want to deal with the Clippers I think Kaman would be a better target the Camby, I know his contract is longer and probably bigger (without looking) and I think he is a better defender and will also help us with our offensive struggles as he can go to work in the post and step out for a mid range jumper. Also, has a more solid and bigger body then Camby does. Although, it could be harder to ask for Kaman then Camby.

I'm not too sure we need to make a trade for a shot blocker anyway. I just don't see the point in wanting to pay Camby $7.6m for next season, why wouldn't we just give Chris Anderson a call and throw some of the mid-level exception at him? Say $3m-$4m. I'm not a huge fan of that move either but I think we could get the same impact kind of player for a lot cheaper. Not only will it be cheaper but the assets we would have moved in order to get Camby, i.e the partially guaranteed contracts of players like Bowen etc... These partially guaranteed contracts are the best trade asset that we have as a team and should be used on a higher impact player then Camby.

Someone that could be traded simply for expiring and partially guaranteed contracts would be Richard Jefferson, they need to find money to pay for Charlie V and Ramon Sessions to re-sign. Not only re-sign but those guys will be getting large pay increases from what they were on last season. We could throw Bonner, Oberto, Bowen and maybe a future second round pick to help them cut the contracts. In a trade Oberto and Bowen could account for $7.5m but they could be bought out for about a total of $4m. We need the scoring from the small forward position and RJ would be a nice fit in there. However, I don't like how big his contract is.

My dream is Caron Butler... but realistically that won't happen.

I would be open to R Jefferson even though he doesn't have a favorable contract, but if he did, he wouldn't be available.

I am very skeptical about Kaman with his contract, but after looking back at what his contract includes, he won't be traded ever. Check this out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2641609

"And it also includes a "trade kicker" that would give the center a 15 percent raise -- a maximum value of $7.5 million -- if he were dealt to another team. For Kaman, that's insurance he'll be staying in L.A., or at worst, compensated nicely if he's ever dealt."

Kaman is definitely not worth that much.

And I agree that the Spurs have a few valuable "cap saving" pieces for trades, but other teams do as well. So I think the Spurs really need to be active once the offseason starts in trying to secure who they feel will upgrade this team asap.

mosdef17
05-21-2009, 11:32 PM
Haha gee some teams give some players some really stupid luxuries in their contracts. Los Angeles Clippers are a complete mess!

I think as far as partially guaranteed contracts we are one of the top teams in the NBA. Dallas owns the top of the table expiring partially guaranteed contract in Jerry Stackhouse. $7m on the books but could be bought out for I think $2m. It will be interesting to see. Don't get me wrong as well, I wouldn't mind Camby I just think we can better use our assets to help our team and I think thats what it is all about; maximum return on our assets...