PDA

View Full Version : Billups top 3 PG in the NBA?

peskypesky
05-21-2009, 11:30 PM
I think so. The guy is ridiculously under-rated.

iggypop123
he can suck at shooting and get 16 ft. sounds good to me

ElNono
How about Fisher? Top 350?

peskypesky
05-21-2009, 11:32 PM

Fisher was good back in the day but he's past his expiration date by about 3 years.

Jeremy
05-21-2009, 11:32 PM

NO!

:lol

Amaso
05-21-2009, 11:33 PM
The refs sure think he's top 3.

Ghazi
05-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Parker, Williams, Billups my new top 3

Paul on his way out considering he doesn't get it done in the playoffs. (Jannero Pargo, 40% shooting v Nuggets, etc).

ducks
05-21-2009, 11:36 PM
chauncy is not a top 3
he is a vet with a leadership period

he should be a coach

YellowFever
05-22-2009, 12:02 AM
chauncy is not a top 3

he should be a coach

^This^

JamStone
05-22-2009, 12:07 AM
It depends what you base it on. Physical talents like speed and quickness, fancy dribbling, and natural play-making ability, he wouldn't be top 3. He's not the most explosive scorer at the point guard position and he's not the best passer or play-maker at the point guard position.

But, if you talk about putting everything together, particularly the intangibles of the point guard position, such as controlling tempo, directing the defense, ball and shot distribution, leadership, clutch shot making, there's definitely an argument for Chauncey. If you're talking about playing and mastering the point guard position, Chauncey has a very strong case.

peskypesky
05-22-2009, 12:11 AM
It depends what you base it on. Physical talents like speed and quickness, fancy dribbling, and natural play-making ability, he wouldn't be top 3. He's not the most explosive scorer at the point guard position and he's not the best passer or play-maker at the point guard position.

But, if you talk about putting everything together, particularly the intangibles of the point guard position, such as controlling tempo, directing the defense, ball and shot distribution, leadership, clutch shot making, there's definitely an argument for Chauncey. If you're talking about playing and mastering the point guard position, Chauncey has a very strong case.

i'm talking the second paragraph. the true PG. not an undersized scoring guard. i'm talking a guy who runs the offense. who passes first, but scores when necessary. and a guy who defends. and a guy who leads his team.

Spursfan092120
05-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Parker, CP3, D-Will...

JamStone
05-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Parker, CP3, D-Will...

If at the beginning of the season, the Nuggets traded for one of those guys, would they have made the same transformation into the team they are now as a legitimate title contending team?

The only one of those three that I can seriously imagine the same thing happening is Deron Williams. Chris Paul wouldn't have helped transformed the defense. And, Tony Parker doesn't change the identity of the team the way Billups did. That said, all three of those guys are better "players" than Chauncey Billups in terms of talent. In terms of playing the point guard position, I think it's a very legit argument that Chauncey edges each of those guys out.

peskypesky
05-22-2009, 12:22 AM
If at the beginning of the season, the Nuggets traded for one of those guys, would they have made the same transformation into the team they are now as a legitimate title contending team?

The only one of those three that I can seriously imagine the same thing happening is Deron Williams. Chris Paul wouldn't have helped transformed the defense. And, Tony Parker doesn't change the identity of the team the way Billups did. That said, all three of those guys are better "players" than Chauncey Billups in terms of talent. In terms of playing the point guard position, I think it's a very legit argument that Chauncey edges each of those guys out.

this

NewJerSpur
05-22-2009, 12:25 AM
The thing I respect about Billups is that he doesn't waste motion; he doesn't dribble, drive, shoot, etc. without purpose and if he can get someone in the air on a pump-fake, he's DEFINITLY going to find his way to the line. Maybe all the calls he got weren't legit, but the guy almost forces refs to blow the whistle.

poop
05-22-2009, 05:50 AM

this. excellent post

Bukefal
05-22-2009, 05:53 AM
top 3 no, top 4 yes :)

endrity
05-22-2009, 07:18 AM
The thing that stands out about Billups is his ability to understand the moments in a game. Every time the Nuggets seem a bit out of synch, out of rhythm, he is the one that makes a play. He is not as strong or as explosive as he was a couple of years back but he can still bully his way to the free throw line against almost any PG. That is what separates him from the others at this moment.

Also, he is probably the best shooter at the PG position, with Nash being the only competition I can think of. Yet, just like Nash, he seems to save his shots for the "daggers".

Also, compared to the other three he is probably the best defender as well.

So yes, there definetely is an argumet for Billups being not only in the top 3, but maybe higher.

mystargtr34
05-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Ill be honest, i didnt think Billups was this good. I always thought he was a little over rated - really really good player, but slightly over rated.

But the way he has almost single handedly transformed an entire franchise, and the way hes played in the playoffs throughout his entire career - the guy is a flat out star, and should be mentioned with the best PG's in the league.

In terms of his ranking, i still think hes 4th behind Paul, Williams and Parker, but JamStone makes a good point - taking one of those three guys instead of Billups doesnt necessarily mean your team will be better every time.

Stump
05-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Billups was the better fit for Denver, but I'd still place him at #4.

it's me
05-22-2009, 09:04 AM
chauncy is not a top 3

he should be a coach

The Spurs would be playing the west finals with Billups as the starting PG…. that’s not even a question.

jacobdrj
05-22-2009, 09:05 AM
I think CB is a well rounded PG. But Deron Williams does almost everything CB does, but better. All he needs is to get rid of Booz, and maybe Jerry, and he will be able to take a team on his back, the way an NBA PG should...

jacobdrj
05-22-2009, 09:06 AM
The Spurs would be playing the west finals with Billups as the starting PG…. that’s not even a question.

Instead of TP, or next to him?

Heath Ledger
05-22-2009, 09:09 AM
I must confess I am gay for Billups.

leemajors
05-22-2009, 09:10 AM
I think CB is a well rounded PG. But Deron Williams does almost everything CB does, but better. All he needs is to get rid of Booz, and maybe Jerry, and he will be able to take a team on his back, the way an NBA PG should...

williams can't defend for shit.

it's me
05-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Instead of TP, or next to him?

Instead of ....and bringing Parker off the bench.

iggypop123
05-22-2009, 09:28 AM
well unlike tp, cp3, and d-will or nash billups was able to get 16 ft in a playoff game on the road. he is #1 just for that reason

Brazil
05-22-2009, 09:29 AM
CB is a leader and he is damn good at BB.
For the rest see the opinion of Jamstone

Cry Havoc
05-22-2009, 10:07 AM
williams can't defend for shit.

Where do people get this idea that Deron Williams is a poor defender? That's insane. One of the reasons he was so highly touted out of Illinois is that he's a great defender, and very smart as well. He's in a league with PGs who are just faster than he is. Watch the decisions he makes defensively during games, and you'll realize he understands exactly what's going on.

I agree with this completely. Billups has matured into a fantastic point guard; he understands the game of basketball and he understands his team. He knows when they need a little help and when to sit back and let players around him get hot.

Right now, I'm willing to put Billups as my #2 point in basketball, simply based on the fact that he's a superior defender to almost any PG in the league. Chris Paul has eroded in my eyes because he clearly does not and may never understand how to lead a team. He quits on them and doesn't set an example, and there's a huge difference between a player who is trying to lead and making mistakes because he's young, and a guy who doesn't want to step up and take responsibility for leading his team. So I think Billups and Parker both have to be moved past him.

1. Williams
2a. CB
2b. Parker
4. Chis Paul

bdubya
05-22-2009, 10:08 AM
I have a hard time believing that CB just happened to land the PG slot on a team that was all ready to move from good up to elite status....twice.

You could have argued that he landed in Detroit at just the right time, when all the other pieces were coming together - it was hard to say just what he brought to the table v. what Ben, Tay, Rip, etc. contributed. But seeing the transformation in Denver just from plugging him into the lineup says it all. Top 3 most skilled? No. Top 3 most valuable? I'd say yes.

Kobayagi
05-22-2009, 10:34 AM
This article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090511/billups) was posted in the Pistons part of this message board but I doubt that most of you ever go there.

Great read, great story, great player. :toast

A chiseled high school junior is attempting to inbound the ball underneath his own basket. He's trying not to panic, but this is the Colorado state championship game, and no one's open. The referee is signaling one, two, three … and the kid can't stand the thought of a five-second call. The house is packed because of him, because he's Denver's greatest schoolboy player ever, so an embarrassing turnover is unacceptable. Just being disorganized is unacceptable. He hates disorganized.

Suddenly, he notices the defender guarding the inbounds pass has turned his back to him. So 18-year-old Chauncey throws the ball off the defender's rear end, catches it, drop-steps and dunks with two hands. Chauncey has himself a bucket and an assist.

hater
05-22-2009, 10:37 AM
talent wise? he is not even top 10

But he is the smartest PG in the NBA easily, by far. That makes him easily top 3 overall

TampaDude
05-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Billups is crafty and has a very high basketball IQ. He tries to make the most of every possession. I'd love to have him on the Spurs.

JamStone
05-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Point of clarification. Chauncey is not a great individual defender. In fact, his legend on defense is greatly exaggerated and overrated. He's actually a below average defender. Quick players will blaze by him with ease. But, he's a smart defender and a solid team defender. He will rarely compromise his defensive position to go for steals or gambles. And, most of the time, he'll shade players where he knows he has help. Deron Williams is a better individual defender. A lot of people seem to think Chauncey is a very good defender, which isn't really the case. And, if you watch plays where he has to rely on his own individual defense, it usually isn't pretty. But, he's smart enough to make up for it by playing schemes of team defense well.