PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs Run To Victory

whottt
03-28-2005, 04:44 AM
Ludden (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032805.1E.BKNspurs.rockets.gamer.17e904eb5.htm l)

Spurs run to victory: A 21-2 spurt puts out the Rockets' fire
Web Posted: 03/28/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

With Tim Duncan in denim and the sellout crowd in a coma, the Spurs had slogged their way through another mucked-up Sunday afternoon with the Houston Rockets.

They had beaten up the SBC Center's rims, as well as ABC's ratings, for the better part of two hours and, still, the game was theirs for the taking.

So, Manu Ginobili took it. With the scored tied and six minutes remaining, he grabbed the ball out of Yao Ming's oversized hands and raced the length of the court.

While Ginobili's dash ended with a pair of free throws, the Spurs never stopped, overwhelming the Rockets in a rousing 83-70 victory.

"We had more fire today, more aggressiveness and desire," Ginobili said. "It's good to see it back."

The victory also returned some of the Spurs' confidence one week after Duncan severely sprained his right ankle in Detroit. In seven prior games without Duncan, they had beaten only Charlotte and Atlanta, owners of the NBA's two worst records.

Houston, meanwhile, had risen to fifth place in the Western Conference and was just five days removed from beating Miami. The Rockets also had won two of their three previous meetings with the Spurs.

"We didn't do this on the road when Tim got hurt," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, referring to the team's recent 0-3 trip. "We sort of pitied ourselves to some degree and felt badly. When something like that happens, you sort of have to regroup and learn how to play again.

"I guess we needed a little bit of time."

Though the Spurs shot only 36.3 percent, they made quick work of the Rockets in the fourth quarter, outscoring them 21-2 in a fourth-quarter flurry. In addition to Ginobili's heroics, Brent Barry hit three clutch 3-pointers after the Spurs found themselves trailing 60-55 with 10 minutes, 31 seconds remaining.

"We played with some emotion," Barry said, "and that carried us."

After Nazr Mohammed dropped in a 14-footer, Barry drove hard to the rim, but failed to score or draw a foul. The next time down the floor, he stopped in transition and coolly buried a 3-pointer, not even pausing to watch the game-tying shot fall through the net.

Only after the Rockets called timeout did Barry shake his fist in celebration.

"I was trying to find the referee," he said, smiling, "that missed the call on the play before."

Barry didn't miss much himself.

He added two more 3-pointers in the quarter and finished with 17 points.

After struggling to find his touch for much of the past month, he has totaled 57 points while making 10 of 15 3-pointers in the three games since the Spurs lost Devin Brown to a back injury.

"We've talked about it so much," Robert Horry said, "that I don't want to say anything now and jinx him."

While Barry's shooting helped get the Spurs rolling, Ginobili provided the inspiration for the comeback. His legs heavy and calves sore, he lowered his head and drove to the basket time and again.

"We see him play with so much fire and energy," Sean Marks said, "that we just feed off it."

Ginobili scored 18 points and produced five steals, none more important than his strip of Yao.

After Barry tied the game, Yao posted Rasho Nesterovic on the left block and started to turn to his right. Ginobili suddenly darted from behind Nesterovic, ripped the ball from Yao's hands and took off.

He also took the ball from Tracy McGrady under the Rockets' basket barely a minute later.

"Ginobili," McGrady said, "was incredible."

"We know he's still hurting a little bit," Barry said. "But he's really grinding right now and showing what kind of warrior he is."

Tony Parker, who had missed six of his first eight shots, hit a couple of long jumpers during the run. By the time Bruce Bowen added a 3-pointer with 2:03 remaining, the Spurs' lead had grown to 81-64.

"This is the second time we have been here and cracked in the last seven or eight minutes of the game," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said.

"We didn't play with the poise needed to win a game like this."

McGrady, who played with a hip strain, scored 26 points, none of which came after his basket early in the fourth quarter. Nesterovic did his best to frustrate Yao while contributing 10 points, seven rebounds and three blocks.

The Spurs, despite missing Duncan, also outrebounded Houston 42-37 and forced 17 turnovers.

"Those guys turned it up when need be," McGrady said, "and we folded."

whottt
03-28-2005, 04:50 AM
The next time down the floor, he stopped in transition and coolly buried a 3-pointer, not even pausing to watch the game-tying shot fall through the net.

Suck it Chump. Get the difference between that type of three and the type he gets on kickouts from Duncan...or even in the half court when the ball is running through the guards and they are all moving.

whottt
03-28-2005, 04:52 AM
"Ginobili," McGrady said, "was incredible."

And Manu has yet another SuperStar admirer. I wonder if the D had anything to do with it.

Kobe
Nash
Magic
Barkley
TMac
Drob...

The list keeps getting longer and longer...and none of those guys care how many PPG Manu scores.

This bit of classyness from the Rockets and TMac also makes me nervous...

I prefer the stupid Rockets of Francis and Mobley that would rather live in a world of denial and not improve than give credit to their opponents. I expected Tmac to be as much of a bonehead as Francis...but he isn't, this guy actually admits his mistakes and good opponent play and tries to improve on them...and that makes him(and his Rocket Team) much more dangerous than Stevie Bonehead was or will ever be.

boutons
03-28-2005, 05:40 AM
I've noticed Brent doing that a few times. He let's the ball go and doesn't even watch. swish.

With Brent, Bruce, Robert, and Beno taking turns from the arc, and Tony, Tim and Manu taking it inside, Spurs have quite an arsenal. If Abu Jabbarovic can keep the Charmin-soft baby hook falling, it's RIVER PARADE!!!