PDA

View Full Version : This has to be the stupidest poll

E20
05-22-2009, 01:39 AM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/contest/bge09_bracket.html

Gamefaqs is having one of their poll bracket contests. This time it's the best video game ever. Stupid poll IMO. There's way too many things about video games to label one particular game as the best ever. Too many factors, catogeries, and genres.

IronMexican
05-22-2009, 01:44 AM
I don't think it's possible to make such a poll. Maybe if you did it by Genre, but even then, it's still a reach.

Obstructed_View
05-22-2009, 02:28 AM
When Half Life and Vice City don't make it out of the first round, there's something wrong.

velik_m
05-22-2009, 02:38 AM
Tetris.

Cry Havoc
05-22-2009, 02:40 AM
When Half Life and Vice City don't make it out of the first round, there's something wrong.

Half Life 2 is widely considered a superior game.

But the fact that they have multiple games from other series does validate your point a bit.

Kind of silly, but heck, it's all in good fun, right?

My personal top 5:

1. Counterstrike - Simply the best co-operative multiplayer tactical shooter of all time. I've probably logged 6000+ hours into this game.
2. Final Fantasy VI (3 in the US) - The most revolutionary RPG of all time, IMO (edging out FF7).
3. Half Life 2 - The word epic is thrown around far too often these days, but this game feels like a massive, sprawling novel (something it shares with FF3 and FF7). The journey you make with Gordon Freeman is so long and detailed that it's hard to believe.
4. The Ocarina of Time - Still the best Zelda game.
5. Winning Eleven 9 - Yeah, it's soccer, but it's by far the best sports game I've ever played.

Honorable mention: Call of Duty 4 - Still too new of a game to make my all-time list, it's probably going to wind up in my top 5.

Obstructed_View
05-22-2009, 02:57 AM
Half Life 2 is widely considered a superior game.

The physics in the second game's engine were revolutionary, and helped create the feel. The storyline was great, but it was far too linear and relatively short when compared with the original, though. Dog's probably my favorite NPC ever.

Both games were extremely influential in a number of ways.
I love CS. It's far better than anything else of that genre.

Fermixalot
05-22-2009, 03:55 AM
the poll is an annual thing, and it usually ends with the Gamefaqs forums lighting up complaining that either FF7 or Ocarina of Time didn't win.

My Top 5

1. Shadow of the Colossus- simply epic. Main character doesn't talk, but yet I felt more attached to him and his horse than any other video game character. Graphics are gorgeous and the gameplay is simple and perfected.

2. Final Fantasy VIII- I personally (can't stress that enough) think that the Junctioning system was great. It was a departure from some of the main tenants of FF and I really like the story and characters.

3. Metal Gear Solid 4- Very, very recent but so very good. Kojima is a master at telling his stories and creating the games in his own unique way. So many little fan services, and so much perfected gameplay. The story is unbelievable and the graphics are top-notch.

4. Ocarina of Time- I don't really have anything to say that hasn't been said already.

5. (tie) Sonic the Hedgehog 2/SMB 3/Super Mario World- three separate platformers that each do something really well.

leemajors
05-22-2009, 08:09 AM
no wolfenstein or quake? weak. i can't stand counterstrike personally, but it was just a mod. i can see why they may have left it out. until it got a retail box, i guess.

stretch
05-22-2009, 09:36 AM
donkey kong

resistanze
05-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Counter-Strike - 5 years of fun
Vice City - Loved the 80s feel, storyline
Winning Eleven 7 - played the shit outta WE6-9, Franchise mode was the bomb
Mass Effect, COD4 - early, but already up there for me

Cry Havoc
05-22-2009, 10:09 AM
no wolfenstein or quake? weak. i can't stand counterstrike personally, but it was just a mod. i can see why they may have left it out. until it got a retail box, i guess.

That's a horrible decision. CS was the most played online game for several years in a row for a reason.

DarkReign
05-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Best game of all time?

How very subjective...I personally enjoy games that have replay value. Games that stand the test of time that I can still play today and enjoy myself much the same as the day it came out.

Thats my criteria. Now, I could go into the "Holy SHIT!" moments of my gaming recereation (MK2, GTA3, SMB, etc), but those werent necessarily the "best games ever" for me.

5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - I wanted to put a FPS here because they used to be a big part of my gaming life. They arent anymore and Soldier of Fortune 2 just doesnt hold up to the test of time where I'd still play it today. So I threw in the last FPS I played and enjoyed....A LOT. Got pretty good, too, but I havent played in so long it isnt even worth trying to anymore. I'd get owned.

4. Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time - Thanksgiving 1998. Instead of hanging out with the family and getting a good meal, I chose to drive to the local gas station and eat SlimJims and Snickers bars. I played the game straight through with no sleep. Took me 2 straight days, too bad one of those days was a holiday. Havent played it in a loooong time, but I would in a heartbeat.

3. Super Metroid - I still play this every now with those ROM proggies (or whatever their called).

2. Rome: Total War - Ive conquered the known Roman world more times than I care to admit. When I got my wisdom teeth removed 2 years ago, I had to be sedated. When I woke up my wife told me a story about the doctor...

Doc talking to my wife: Does he play video games or oard games?
My wife: Yes, why?
Doc: Because when he was under anesthesia, he kept mumbling about the Roman Senate and his march on Gaul.
My wife: Oh! ....yeeeeah. Hes a dork like that.

1. Civilization 4: Gold Edition - best. game. ever. In case it isnt apparent, I like startegy games. Multiple paths and multiple styles. Just an absolutely epic game that I still cannot get enough of, yet I still suck at it. I think thats what brings me back, its the only game I have never mastered that I actually care to.

E20
05-22-2009, 10:27 AM
I'll do my Top 5 of my Golden Gaming Days, when I was a mid-teen playing PS1 all day.

1. FFVII
2. Castlevania: SOTN
3. Legend of Legaia
4. Legend of Dragoon
5. Metal Gear Solid

Honorable mentions: Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Medievil.

lefty
05-22-2009, 10:29 AM
God of War and GTA are pieces of shit compared to Pacman

E20
05-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Fuck I miss those days. When I would first start playing a game that would end up being a favorite of mine. I can still replay it, but that first time will always be something speacial. Very fun hours wasted away. :depressed

Time flys by.

stretch
05-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Fuck I miss those days. When I would first start playing a game that would end up being a favorite of mine. I can still replay it, but that first time will always be something speacial. Very fun hours wasted away. :depressed

Time flys by.

:tu

:depressed

z0sa
05-22-2009, 10:59 AM
cry havoc, you still cs? i do from time to time, we should pub together.

resistanze
05-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Did y'all ever play the Warcraft mod of CS that some servers had? :lol Shit was hilarious.

There were like 4 races with special abilities (e.g. teleportation, invisibility, strong nades, more health, suicide bombing).

The best is when you bind the death key to the race that exploded when you died. I would just rush a bunch of opponents and blow myself up.

leemajors
05-22-2009, 11:44 AM
That's a horrible decision. CS was the most played online game for several years in a row for a reason.

did you ever play action half life? that shit was hilarious, and fun. you could leap at people with dual desert eagles blasting away. just continuous stunt moves and ridiculous weapons.

leemajors
05-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Best game of all time?

How very subjective...I personally enjoy games that have replay value. Games that stand the test of time that I can still play today and enjoy myself much the same as the day it came out.

Thats my criteria. Now, I could go into the "Holy SHIT!" moments of my gaming recereation (MK2, GTA3, SMB, etc), but those werent necessarily the "best games ever" for me.

5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - I wanted to put a FPS here because they used to be a big part of my gaming life. They arent anymore and Soldier of Fortune 2 just doesnt hold up to the test of time where I'd still play it today. So I threw in the last FPS I played and enjoyed....A LOT. Got pretty good, too, but I havent played in so long it isnt even worth trying to anymore. I'd get owned.

4. Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time - Thanksgiving 1998. Instead of hanging out with the family and getting a good meal, I chose to drive to the local gas station and eat SlimJims and Snickers bars. I played the game straight through with no sleep. Took me 2 straight days, too bad one of those days was a holiday. Havent played it in a loooong time, but I would in a heartbeat.

3. Super Metroid - I still play this every now with those ROM proggies (or whatever their called).

2. Rome: Total War - Ive conquered the known Roman world more times than I care to admit. When I got my wisdom teeth removed 2 years ago, I had to be sedated. When I woke up my wife told me a story about the doctor...

Doc: Because when he was under anesthesia, he kept mumbling about the Roman Senate and his march on Gaul.

1. Civilization 4: Gold Edition - best. game. ever. In case it isnt apparent, I like startegy games. Multiple paths and multiple styles. Just an absolutely epic game that I still cannot get enough of, yet I still suck at it. I think thats what brings me back, its the only game I have never mastered that I actually care to.

SOF2 was awesome when it came out. i spent hours carving people up or shooting their limbs off after they were killed. good times.

IronMexican
05-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Let me give it a try from my opinion:

Honorable mentions: Super Smash Brothers 64, GTA Vice City, Fight Night Round 3, NFL 2k5, Oblivion, Fallout

1. God of War 1/2 - The story was top notch, the fighting was easy and fun. I loved everything about this game EXCEPT THE FUCKING PUZZLES. And I hate puzzles.

2. Resident Evil 4 - Awesome Story with great graphics at the time. The extra's were really cool, too.

3. GTA San Andreas - I still play this game all the time on my 360. It's just mindless fun, and I love driving around LA.

4. Shadow of the Colossus - The bosses were so much fun. This game has no dull moments, and is fun from start to finish. The only thing I really didn't like was how short it was.

5. 007 Goldeneye - Best Multiplayer game ever. Spent a lot of nights on this.

z0sa
05-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Did y'all ever play the Warcraft mod of CS that some servers had? :lol Shit was hilarious.

There were like 4 races with special abilities (e.g. teleportation, invisibility, strong nades, more health, suicide bombing).

The best is when you bind the death key to the race that exploded when you died. I would just rush a bunch of opponents and blow myself up.

basically all thats played now is some modded version of cs ... most servers that are straight CS are 24/7 dust2 or some small map rotation.

Cry Havoc
05-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Best game of all time?

Curious DR, why do you prefer Civ 4 to Rome? I mean, 1/2 obviously isn't that much of a difference, I just am curious as to the preference here.

baseline bum
05-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Picking a top 3 even is difficult:

3. GTA: San Andreas So much shit you could do in this game, and the wars between Piru, Grape Street, and the Latin Kings were great.
2. Mike Tyson's Punchout Best part of the game is when Little Mac wins and Tyson tells them to "turn off your station" during the post-fight interviews.
1. Zelda Ocarina of Time Great RPG, great action, A+ graphics, A+ sound, top-notch story; Basically, the perfect game.

jman3000
05-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Best game of all time?

:lol @ the dentist story.

There have been quite a few "everyone list their top 5 game lists"... but I'll give it another go.

I can't really rank them... because they all came at different times of my life and my tastes have changed a bit.

Shining Force 2 (Sega Genesis): The first RPG's that I fell in love with. I loved the board game style feel and the diverse squad you could play.

Advance Wars 2 (Game Boy Advance/DS) Holy fart... I used to play this game at night right before I'd go to bed and sometimes I'd accidently stay up until 4 AM. The hard mode is really a strategic challenge and I have to be one of the few people to ever S rank every mission on every difficulty level Advance Wars has ever had.

StarCraft: Awesomeness. I still think that every RTS game should have a bunker type building to house soldiers. Nukes, Siege Tanks, Dragoons, Reavers, Lurkers, Infested Marines... the awesome units in this game, at least for me, defined RTS's.

Civilization 4: Hundreds and hundreds hours put in. About as close to a perfect game for me as you can get. On 4 I got to the point where I was good enough to beat it on the next to hardest difficulty level. The handicaps are completely unfair at that level and I was going against 3 militaristic civs... but it was just epic an epic gaming experience that spanned about 3 months.

Morrowind: N'Wah!

IronMexican
05-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Picking a top 3 even is difficult:

3. GTA: San Andreas So much shit you could do in this game, and the wars between Piru, Grape Street, and the Latin Kings were great.

It was just so out of place, though. Cause Piru and Grape don't beef is as hard as the Grape's and Bounty Hunter's do. And why Latin Kings? There are none in LA. I think it would have been a lot smarter to give them blue.

jman3000
05-22-2009, 01:37 PM
there's a gang called the bounty hunters?

please tell me their sign is Boba Fett's helmet.

CuckingFunt
05-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Top 5... that's a tough one. In no order:

Shadow of the Colossus
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
God of War II
Earthworm Jim 2
The Simpsons (4-player arcade)

I'd also give honorable mention to Bioshock, Okami, Psychonauts, and the Sly Cooper franchise.

DarkReign
05-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Curious DR, why do you prefer Civ 4 to Rome? I mean, 1/2 obviously isn't that much of a difference, I just am curious as to the preference here.

Diplomacy, for one. Resource management, the Tech tree, specialized cities, multiple victory paths, completely different game experience depending on civ and leader combo, the over-arching strategy element associated with war-time progress.

Dont get me wrong, its a tough choice between the two for my #1. I wholly enjoy raising an army and literally taking it to the field to enjoy tactical battles and victory.

Ive equally played both, I'd think. But Civ is a game that you can start and end in a day, whereas Rome/Empire are not even close.

Its a tough call.

DarkReign
05-22-2009, 05:56 PM
:lol @ the dentist story.

Yeah, I was slightly embarassed until I realized I didnt give a fuck. I have dental insurance.

StarCraft: Awesomeness. I still think that every RTS game should have a bunker type building to house soldiers. Nukes, Siege Tanks, Dragoons, Reavers, Lurkers, Infested Marines... the awesome units in this game, at least for me, defined RTS's.

I totally forgot about Warhammer 40k. That game ranks on my list, I am just not sure where. I never got into StarCraft, but I know those Koreans certainly did/do.

Civilization 4: Hundreds and hundreds hours put in. About as close to a perfect game for me as you can get. On 4 I got to the point where I was good enough to beat it on the next to hardest difficulty level. The handicaps are completely unfair at that level and I was going against 3 militaristic civs... but it was just epic an epic gaming experience that spanned about 3 months.

I am interested in which level of difficulty you got to and still had success. I finally got to Monarch (i think?) and have a hard-ass time not getting eliminated before 1200 AD. But thats the fun of it, in my mind. Its an extremely difficult if you want it to be.

You ever heard of an "OCC"? The One City Challenge? Fools are doing that and winning on Deity. Sick, I tell ya.

BlackSwordsMan
05-22-2009, 06:41 PM
zelda

baseline bum
05-22-2009, 07:54 PM
It was just so out of place, though. Cause Piru and Grape don't beef is as hard as the Grape's and Bounty Hunter's do. And why Latin Kings? There are none in LA. I think it would have been a lot smarter to give them blue.

They should have made it ETG and Rollin 60s if they wanted accurate wars, but most gamers would find Crip on Crip confusing.

Obstructed_View
05-22-2009, 08:11 PM
While we're on the subject, happy birthday to Pacman.

ManuTP9
05-22-2009, 08:34 PM
my top 5

1. Halo 3, still a high selling game from coming out in 07.

2. Bioshock

3. Metal Gear

4. Soul Calibur

5. Gears of War, FTMFW.

IronMexican
05-23-2009, 01:47 AM
They beef it pretty hard. I remember when I was like a Freshman in HS some Eight Trey's snuck into the school and pocket checked me and my homie. I feel like a real bitch for letting that happen now. But there was about 8 of them.

jman3000
05-23-2009, 03:12 AM
Yeah, I was slightly embarassed until I realized I didnt give a fuck. I have dental insurance.

I totally forgot about Warhammer 40k. That game ranks on my list, I am just not sure where. I never got into StarCraft, but I know those Koreans certainly did/do.

I am interested in which level of difficulty you got to and still had success. I finally got to Monarch (i think?) and have a hard-ass time not getting eliminated before 1200 AD. But thats the fun of it, in my mind. Its an extremely difficult if you want it to be.

You ever heard of an "OCC"? The One City Challenge? Fools are doing that and winning on Deity. Sick, I tell ya.

I was able to do the OCC on Civ Revolution for the 360, but it's a pretty watered down ... almost arcade version of a Civ game.

I'd think if you were blessed with a good starting position... perhaps an island with lots of resource spawn points... and were able to get like 10 techs from indigenous tribes ( I used to save right before I'd enter a tribe square and if I got something gay like 20 gold, id just load the save and wait to get a tech) you'd have a pretty good start. No way you get a miltary victory... perhaps a cultural if you're able to crank out world wonder after world wonder... but at deity difficulty i think you build everything 50% slower and the rivals build 50 faster.

jman3000
05-23-2009, 03:23 AM
My favorite Civ moment was when India and my American civ were basically the 2 super powers on the planet. They had about double my military score, but I was ahead in culture, economy, population ... pretty much everything else.

I ended up declaring war because it was getting to the end game and i was just like "fuck it... half their units are probably swordsmen"

Bleh... I had to endure literally 30 minute long opponent turns because India had hundreds of bombers and wiped out all my railroads, improvements, city defenses along our border in just 2 turns.

PM5K
05-23-2009, 03:35 AM
No Mafia no care.

It doesn't have to win, it should at least be on the fucking list.

DarkReign
05-25-2009, 11:34 AM
My favorite Civ moment was when India and my American civ were basically the 2 super powers on the planet. They had about double my military score, but I was ahead in culture, economy, population ... pretty much everything else.

I ended up declaring war because it was getting to the end game and i was just like "fuck it... half their units are probably swordsmen"

Bleh... I had to endure literally 30 minute long opponent turns because India had hundreds of bombers and wiped out all my railroads, improvements, city defenses along our border in just 2 turns.

:lmao

Ive made the sam mistake one hundred times. I now send spies about the land pre-invasion.

Still doesnt help most of the time, though.