PDA

View Full Version : Duncan goes back home on NBA special

KoriEllis
09-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Tim Duncan goes back home on NBA special
Web Posted: 09/16/2004 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

The San Antonio Spurs' most lethal weapon, Tim Duncan, looks relaxed and happy — yes, you could almost call him Mr. Personality — in an ABC half-hour devoted to him this weekend.

It's likely due to the fact that "NBA Inside Stuff" — on KSAT Sunday at noon — took him back to his home turf of St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. There, he visits his school, where he remembers taking every free minute to shoot basketball — during recess and lunchtime — to the chagrin, Duncan laughs, of the kids around him.

"Unfortunately for my classmates," he recalls, when he returned to class, "I didn't smell too safe."

In a preview clip, Duncan, who essentially narrates the piece himself, takes the camera operator through the junglelike surroundings of his school, points out various trees and talks about his growing-up years in the Caribbean.

He's also seen playing a different sport — volleyball — on the beach.

It's a different turn for the veteran "Inside Stuff" magazine, co-hosted by Ahmad Rashad and Summer Sanders, which is taking a more in-depth approach to interview subjects than its previous short-shot format.

New face

KENS will unveil a new weekend sports anchor Sept. 25 — and word is he's so handsome, jaws dropped around the station when he visited.

I haven't seen Bob Ballou myself, but I should get my paws on a photo next week. Viewers can actually look for him this weekend on a KENS sports story or two; however, I'm told he won't be behind the desk yet.

Ballou, a native Texan from outside of Dallas, who last delivered sports in Columbia, Mo., will replace Luke Stuckmeyer. The latter, who also wasn't hard on the eyes, left a couple of weeks back for a sports cable network job in Chicago.

www.mysanantonio.com/ente...d88a6.html (http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/columnists/jjackle/stories/MYSA091604.4P.jakle.865d88a6.html)

SpursWoman
09-16-2004, 06:35 PM
http://www.komu.com/jpeg/news_team/bobbig.jpg

ZStomp
09-16-2004, 09:03 PM
I've already set my DVR to record...;)

Shelly
09-19-2004, 02:46 PM
I admit, I had a Hallmark moment there.

jupiterhal
09-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Dang, I missed it !
Can anyone who saw it please post about it ?

jupiterhal
09-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Hey Y'all ! * waving arms*
Please can anybody post about the episode ?

ZStomp
09-19-2004, 09:49 PM
It was awesome...I have it on DVR.

It was nice to see TD open up. Very heart warming and just another point as to why we, SA, are lucky to have this person on our team.

Very touching.....

He talked about lots of things:
-He talked about his father becoming a basketball because of him, and how his dad would call him and say "Are you watching this game?". Timmy would answer "I am not watching it, why are you watching it" and he chuckled.

-He talked about his old high school and how it's closed now.

-He showed us his old high school basketball court-The Jungle. I say court because they didn't have a gym. They played outside on some lousy court and that no one would come and watch them play.

-He talked about the "Tim Duncan Foundation" and how he will never forget where's he's from and that he's proud to be a Crucian. (made sure it was pronounced correct)

-Of course he talked about his swimming days and how Hurricane Hugo had an effect on that. He says that God had a plan for him because he picked up basketball as a result of the hurricane

-He talked about his mother, father-- family.

-He talked about he was to scared to play bball with others around the court and how he had to be 'pressured' to go play. He said he was a poor basketball player and after his brother in law came to visit him- he learned the game. That he learned the game from his brother in law.

jupiterhal
09-19-2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks a lot !
I can't believe I missed it...:depressed
I hope they show it again soon..:cry

ZStomp
09-19-2004, 11:19 PM
Did this come out before today?

ZStomp
09-19-2004, 11:20 PM
I think they are gonna show it again next weekend. Set your DVR!

xcoriate
09-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Times like these I wish I had the TV you guys do, ah well maybe ill be able to find a download. Sounds like it was a great watch.