PDA

View Full Version : Who does kobe guard during games?

pauls931
05-22-2009, 09:37 AM
I see him all over the place. I see melo guarding him often, but I don't see him guarding melo that much, mostly guarding JR Rider or some other less dominant player.

resistanze
05-22-2009, 09:49 AM
He's a 1st Team All-NBA Roamer.

manufan10
05-22-2009, 09:54 AM
He's been on Billups for most of the time.

sribb43
05-22-2009, 09:57 AM
JR Rider :lol

stretch
05-22-2009, 09:58 AM
and thats why i hate it when people try to say that hes some great defender while lebron sucks on defense, because kobe guards the opponent's best player. he doesn't until it matters... in the 4th quarter... lebron does the same... jordan did the same as well, as pippen would usually end up guarding the opponents best player until crunch time. i don't get why kobe fans try to exalt him by saying he always defends the opponents best player. he doesnt. and its smarter that way too, so he has more energy in the 4th.

its another reason why i cant stand kobe knobslobbers... they never know what the fuck they are talking about.

Bukefal
05-22-2009, 10:01 AM
billups

Dex
05-22-2009, 10:04 AM
and thats why i hate it when people try to say that hes some great defender while lebron sucks on defense, because kobe guards the opponent's best player. he doesn't until it matters... in the 4th quarter... lebron does the same... jordan did the same as well, as pippen would usually end up guarding the opponents best player until crunch time. i don't get why kobe fans try to exalt him by saying he always defends the opponents best player. he doesnt. and its smarter that way too, so he has more energy in the 4th.

its another reason why i cant stand kobe knobslobbers... they never know what the fuck they are talking about.

I think it's mostly an energy saving move. If you put Kobe/Lebron/Jordan on the opponent's best player the entire game, plus expect them to put up their normal offensive load, then they are more than likely going to be gassed by the 4th. However, once the game starts to get into the crunch minutes, it only makes sense to switch your best defensive players onto their best offensive players.

It doesn't make them bad defenders. If anything, it says more about their endurance than their defensive abilities. That's one benefit that guys like Bowen have, because they can focus 80-90% of their energy towards just defending. Chasing people around can really take some wind out of you.

clambake
05-22-2009, 10:07 AM
he mostly guards his ego.

manufan10
05-22-2009, 10:17 AM

A lot of times when the Lakers play the Spurs, he guards Bowen. So he really is a lock down defender. :lol

manufan10
05-22-2009, 10:17 AM

:lmao

it's me
05-22-2009, 10:22 AM

Kobe has no chance against his ego one on one

Spur-Addict
05-22-2009, 10:49 AM
jr rider :lol

+1

JamStone
05-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Last time Kobe tried guarding his ego, he himself got bent over and fucked.

baseline bum
05-22-2009, 01:10 PM
I know during every Spurs game for years the only guy Kobe would ever guard was Bowen. Bryant is a ridiculously overrated defender.

Allanon
05-22-2009, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't call Billups, JR Smith and Melo easy assignments.

Last game, he held Chauncey to 6-15 (40%) while Kobe scored 32 points on 50% shooting.

The game before that, he had Chauncey, JR Smith and Carmelo. He didn't do much on Melo but on Chancey (38%) and JR Smith(29%).

Only guy Kobe hasn't been able to stop is Melo; but at the same time, Melo can't stop Kobe either.

That's pretty damn good defense while still having excellent offense; that's why Kobe made both the ALL NBA and ALL Defensive team this year (again).

Y'all just hatin' on the Kobester.

Amaso
05-22-2009, 02:01 PM
lol, someone's not really watching the game. He was on Billups basically the entire game during game 2, and was guarding Melo/Billups in game 1. I'd like to see him on Melo more often though.

And Melo guarded Kobe for like 4 minutes of the last game, and he made like 4 of his 5 shots.

E20
05-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Carmelo Anthony gives Kobe problems.

Just saw a stat on ESPN. Kobe against Melo, Kobe shot 2-6. Kobe against the rest of the Denver team 8-14.

diego
05-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Last game, he held Chauncey to 6-15 (40%) while Kobe scored 32 points on 50% shooting.

The game before that, he had Chauncey, JR Smith and Carmelo. He didn't do much on Melo but on Chancey (38%) and JR Smith(29%).

why you gotta twist shit? say it straight up in the same terms:

kobe got 32 pts on 50% and 20 shots.
billups got 27 pts on 40% and 15 shots.
so kobe held chauncey to 1.8 pts per shot? has kobe even scored more than 1.7 pps these playoffs? because he certainly hasnt against denver and their vaunted defense.

also, i didnt watch game 1, but i find it hard to believe kobe guarded 2 starters and a backup simultaneously. but again, billups shot 38% but had 18pts on 13 shots. that is good. and smith had 8pts on 7 shots. not great, but not as bad as 29% looks. and that is with both having subpar nights from the line. did kobe make them miss their FT? please

timvp
05-22-2009, 03:12 PM
When it matters, Carmelo takes Kobe down low and either posts up on him or gets an offensive rebound over him. Carmelo looks like he's going against his little brother as he manhandles Kobe, while Kobe complains to the refs for the 2323423074 time.

I don't think Kobe has lost a step but those 1000+ games seem to have taken away some of his strength. Kobe of a few years ago would be getting bullied by Carmelo.

InK
05-22-2009, 03:47 PM
so kobe held chauncey to 1.8 pts per shot? has kobe even scored more than 1.7 pps these playoffs? because he certainly hasnt against denver and their vaunted defense.

If a guy shoots 1-1 from the field and also gets 10 free throws (and makes them all) do you say he made 12 pts per shot?

LakerHater
05-22-2009, 03:50 PM
When it matters, Carmelo takes Kobe down low and either posts up on him or gets an offensive rebound over him. Carmelo looks like he's going against his little brother as he manhandles Kobe, while Kobe complains to the refs for the 2323423074 time.

I don't think Kobe has lost a step but those 1000+ games seem to have taken away some of his strength. Kobe of a few years ago would be getting bullied by Carmelo.

http://www.9news.com/sports/pro_basketball/nba/denver_nuggets/article.aspx?storyid=116233&catid=125

Spursfan092120
05-22-2009, 03:50 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/2e2jh2r.jpg

Spursfan092120
05-22-2009, 03:51 PM
http://www.9news.com/sports/pro_basketball/nba/denver_nuggets/article.aspx?storyid=116233&catid=125
http://www.9news.com/genthumb/genthumb.ashx?e=3&h=204&w=320&i=/assetpool/images/090521053031_05-21-09-kobe-stop-crying.jpg

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Someone has GOT to put this in their sig...

baseline bum
05-22-2009, 03:53 PM

Steve Smith and Bonzi Wells used to do Bryant the same way when he was young.

timvp
05-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Steve Smith and Bonzi Wells used to do Bryant the same way when he was young.

True but then Kobe went through that phase where he used HGH and gained like 30 pounds in the offseason. I think it was the summer of 2002.

But yeah, those Portland teams made a living of posting him up.

Allanon
05-22-2009, 04:08 PM

also, i didnt watch game 1, but i find it hard to believe kobe guarded 2 starters and a backup simultaneously. but again, billups shot 38% but had 18pts on 13 shots. that is good. and smith had 8pts on 7 shots. not great, but not as bad as 29% looks. and that is with both having subpar nights from the line. did kobe make them miss their FT? please

Free Throws man, free throws. That's how he got his points in, it wasn't from the field when he was actually guarded.

Shooting 40% from the field is aweful.

Kobe's done very well on Billups/Smith, Melo is still getting his points on Kobe "like big brother vs little brotha". :lol

pauls931
05-22-2009, 05:09 PM
JR Rider :lol

:lol Oh damn, i just accused Kobe of guarding a retired player!

DAF86
05-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Free Throws man, free throws. That's how he got his points in, it wasn't from the field when he was actually guarded.

Kobe's done very well on Billups/Smith, Melo is still getting his points on Kobe "like big brother vs little brotha". :lol

How the F do you think guys get to the FT line? they get there by beating his main defender off the dribble and getting to rim.

diego
05-22-2009, 06:19 PM

so now you are going to tell me he is only getting to the line on intentional fouls? he is getting to the line because he is playing his defenders, kobe included.

if FTs dont count, why didnt you say kobe scored 22 on 50%? you purposely put billups shot count without pts, but for kobe you put 32 on 50%. thats comparing apples to oranges and i called you out on it.

and for the guy making a hypothetical 12pps for a guy that goes 1/1 + 10FT... show me one game where a player that attempted one shot went to the line 10 times, regardless of makes...

Allanon
05-22-2009, 06:21 PM
How the F do you think guys get to the FT line? they get there by beating his main defender off the dribble and getting to rim.

Or they could come through screen and rolls which opponents do alot to the Lakers.

Billups is a medium speed guard, he ain't beating a much quicker Kobe off the dribble. He gets separation with a screen from a teammate.

DAF86
05-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Or they could come through screen and rolls which opponents do alot to the Lakers.

Billups is a medium speed guard, he ain't beating a much quicker Kobe off the dribble. He gets separation with a screen from a teammate.

I've watched the games and Billups is getting to the paint whenever he wants and in most cases he doesn't use a screen.
Kobe overplays people when he guards somebody, basically what you need to do to beat him off the drible is just drible the ball you don't need to be fast.

Kobe's defense is overrated.

Allanon
05-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I've watched the games and Billups is getting to the paint whenever he wants and in most cases he doesn't use a screen.
Kobe overplays people when he guards somebody, basically what you need to do to beat him off the drible is just drible the ball you don't need to be fast.

Kobe's defense is overrated.

I disagree. I believe Kobe is an excellent defender that rarely gets beat except on screen and rolls.

His problems are 1) roaming 2) defending much larger players like DHo

Man to man (without picks/screens), the only player I've ever seen consistently get the better of Kobe is Melo in these Playoffs.

Findog
05-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Give him turns on Melo, Smith and Billups, but lock him on Billups in the 4th.

Findog
05-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Lakers have the same problem Cleveland does:

Kobe does a decent job on whoever he guards, be it Melo, Smith or Billups. But even if he's keeping one guy relatively contained, the other two are getting loose. When it comes to his defensive assignment in the 4th Q, I put him on the guy running the Nuggets offense as opposed to Melo. Ariza has the length and athleticism to keep Melo from just going totally fucking berserk. Ariza has to do a better job than he has on Anthony and knock down open threes. That's pretty much how the series is going to be decided. Teams are giving the Lakers the open looks for Fisher and Ariza, it's just a matter of how well they can take advantage of it. Last night they didn't even allow Kobe to have even a tiny chance of getting the inbounds on the last play.

With Cleveland, Z is too slow and Varejao too weak to bang with Howard, and there's only one of LBJ to check either Lewis or Turkoglu.

InK
05-23-2009, 05:44 AM
and for the guy making a hypothetical 12pps for a guy that goes 1/1 + 10FT... show me one game where a player that attempted one shot went to the line 10 times, regardless of makes...

Didn't say if it was anything but a hypothetical situation, was just trying to establish what you mean by "shot". Since you didn't bother answer, ill assume that the proposition of a guy making 12 pps is implausible and absurd to you. And i dont know if anyone ever went 1/1 + 10FT, and im not really that interested if someone did, nor do i have any good incentive to go browsing through box scores to check out. Could have happened, probably didn't.

Billups used up 15 possesions for 14 points (6-15,2-4) , and used up another 8 possesions for 13 points (13-16). He made a bit less then 1.2 points per possesion used / shot taken.

Kobe on the other hand used up 24 possesions for 31 points ( disregarding the one techinical FT he made), so he made a bit less then 1.3 points per possesion/ shot.

so kobe held chauncey to 1.8 pts per shot? has kobe even scored more than 1.7 pps these playoffs?

Kobe scored more pps then billups in the last game, and your the one who is twisting stats to your convenience as well.

MI21
05-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Kobe Bryant is the most overated defensive player I have ever seen. For the amount he roams, he doesn't make nearly enough playmaking defensive plays like Wade or James.

diego
05-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Didn't say if it was anything but a hypothetical situation, was just trying to establish what you mean by "shot". Since you didn't bother answer, ill assume that the proposition of a guy making 12 pps is implausible and absurd to you. And i dont know if anyone ever went 1/1 + 10FT, and im not really that interested if someone did, nor do i have any good incentive to go browsing through box scores to check out. Could have happened, probably didn't.

Billups used up 15 possesions for 14 points (6-15,2-4) , and used up another 8 possesions for 13 points (13-16). He made a bit less then 1.2 points per possesion used / shot taken.

Kobe on the other hand used up 24 possesions for 31 points ( disregarding the one techinical FT he made), so he made a bit less then 1.3 points per possesion/ shot.

Kobe scored more pps then billups in the last game, and your the one who is twisting stats to your convenience as well.

PPS is a simpler version of true shooting %; I used it because it is easier to calculate. for an explanation of why TS% or PPS are better than FG%, which Allanon used in his original comparison, you can visit a more detailed and eloquent explanation from knickerblogger.net (shooting section): http://www.knickerblogger.net/?p=608

remember the point of the discussion was whether billups was being effectively guarded by kobe/ the lakers. allanon posted billups FG% without his point total, then he posted kobe's FG% with his point total. why he posted kobe's numbers when they had nothing to do with discussion, I dont know, but i'd guess its because he's a kobe nuthugger and he is trying to make billups look bad. now if allanon had just posted that billups scored 27 pts on 40 FG% I probably wouldnt have said anything. but since he didnt include the point total, it was obvious he was trying to imply that billups had a bad game and only made 6 baskets.

I dont know where you got the possession stats, but TS% is the most precise stat and I will calculate it for that game.

True Shooting Percentage; the formula is PTS / (2 * (FGA + 0.44 * FTA)). True shooting percentage is a measure of shooting efficiency that takes into account field goals, 3-point field goals, and free throws

billups: 27 / (2*(15+(.44*16)) = 61%

kobe: 32 / (2*(20+(.44*10)) = 66%

so kobe had a better game... but both players had excellent games where they scored 25+ pts with 60+ TS%. the results are pretty much the same as the per possession one you posted, with kobe being a smide better than billups.

BUT to conclude that billups had an "awful" game like allanon did, or that he was inefficient due to the lakers/kobe's D, is ridiculous. he put up 27 pts in a very efficient manner, and if allanon or anyone else thinks that he was "held" to anything in that game, then they must think billups is one of the best basketball players ever.

now if you think I was misleading with the PPS, trying to imply that billups is better than kobe... no, and its a stupid comparison anyway, kobe is a volume scorer and billups is a distrubitor (if I wanted to do that, I'd go with melo, who is also a volume scorer). but, I did want to show that kobe hasnt been much better than billups was in game 2, and for a laker say that billups was awful then he must be saying kobe has been awful as well.

now, if you think that billups was awful, that he only got to the line 16 times because of intentional fouls and not because the lakers were incapable of guarding him, and that kobe played great defense on him, fine, thats your opinion. but the stats for that night, for the playoffs, for the season and for all of history say the opposite.

BlackBellamy
05-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Kobe guards someone? I thought the league allows the Lakers 95 timeouts in order to pull him on every defensive possession. The most actively Kobe ever plays D is when he throws out his arms and hits opposing team players after someone blocks him on the offensive end.

diego
05-23-2009, 11:51 AM
as for pps... I dont think anyone has ever got over 2.5 pps... In recent years, i think the highest pps has been for guys like shaq, amare, with just over 2.1/2.2.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=teamstatoff&sort=pps&league=nba&season=2009&seasontype=3&avg=pg&order=true&split=0

there you have the team stats for the playoffs... denver is first in pps, and as you can see adjusted FG% and pps correlate very well. TS% is better but not as simple to calculate, with pps you can just look at shot attempts and points and get an idea of how efficient a player was.