PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Done? Not Quite

duncan228
05-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Out of Austin.

Spurs done? Not quite (http://www.keyetv.com/content/sports/localsports/story/Spurs-done-Not-quite/vay0hYdBx0ezV4Jbl9wAJw.cspx)
Bob Ballou

For the first time with a healthy Tim Duncan, the Spurs were knocked out in the first round.

For the sixth straight year following the playoffs, everyone is ready to write them off as too old – and this time – done.

Is everyone serious? How quickly you forget.

This is the best franchise in the NBA over the course of the last decade. You don’t become the NBA’s model franchise without a coach and General Manager making good decision after good decision, in the end putting them in that position. In case you forgot, the Spurs did win three titles this decade.

Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan will all play for the Spurs again next year. What am I missing?

People tend to think Tim Duncan’s knees are done. Charles Barkley said it best last night – at Duncan’s age he won’t get healthier, he’ll only get rested-er.

Fine – I’m pretty sure we’ve watched Hakeem Olajuwon and Shaquille O’Neal and Bill Walton and etc etc etc win NBA titles late in their career, most with injuries plaguing them. Pop has experience with older players and will watch Timmy’s minutes as his career winds down.

I said two years ago the Spurs should trade Manu Ginobili while they could – figuring his body wouldn’t be able to keep up with his style of play forever. I’m sure Spurs fans would have lost it had it happened.

But that’s not to say Manu doesn’t have good months left in him – in fact, just the opposite. He’s still an elite NBA player when healthy.

Nothing needs to be said about Tony Parker. He’s simply fantastic.

Put all of this together, and it’s pretty obvious that with some more good offseason decisions from Pop and RC – which seem likely when given their past – and a little minute-management, this team has at least 2-3 good years left in them.

Maybe even a 5th championship.

Bukefal
05-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Is everyone serious? How quickly you forget.

This is the best franchise in the NBA over the course of the last decade. You don’t become the NBA’s model franchise without a coach and General Manager making good decision after good decision, in the end putting them in that position. In case you forgot, the Spurs did win three titles this decade.

Nothing needs to be said about Tony Parker. He’s simply fantastic.

Maybe even a 5th championship.

Exactly!!! :toast:toast:toast :flag:

Sean Cagney
05-23-2009, 12:13 AM
They got a #5 in them! I just know it!

NewJerSpur
05-23-2009, 12:39 AM
I'm not worried. Especially if this offseason brings more defense back into the fold....Gino & Timmy getting rest can only help.

tlongII
05-23-2009, 12:41 AM
:lmao

NewJerSpur
05-23-2009, 12:42 AM
How many Blazers are coming back next season? Will Oden be healthy?

Guajalote
05-23-2009, 12:46 AM
"For the first time with a healthy Tim Duncan, the Spurs were knocked out in the first round."

Some might tend to disagree with the "healthy" part.

Avitus1
05-23-2009, 01:11 AM
The Drive for 5 is alive!

Man In Black
05-23-2009, 03:50 AM
One For The Thumb.

xellos88330
05-23-2009, 05:42 AM
Only #5??? I say #5, #6, and #7!

Bukefal
05-23-2009, 05:50 AM
:flag::flag::flag::flag:
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt: -----> :lobt2:

GO SPURSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PREPARE FOR GLORYYYYYYYYY!!!!

:chestbump :chestbump :chestbump

Thomas82
05-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Only #5??? I say #5, #6, and #7!

That's what I'm talking about!!

m33p0
05-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Amen to that. :flag:

samikeyp
05-23-2009, 08:34 AM
As long as 21 is on the court, there is always a chance.

poop
05-23-2009, 10:51 AM
as long as we completely overhaul the team, offload about 5-6 players, and replace them with young athletic guys to put around the big 3, we have a damn good chance.
if they continue to fail to bring in youth and keep mostly the same team, we lose in round 1 again.
its that simple.

poop
05-23-2009, 10:52 AM

'Houston....Welcome to Hell' :rollin

NFGIII
05-23-2009, 11:46 AM
"For the first time with a healthy Tim Duncan, the Spurs were knocked out in the first round."

Some might tend to disagree with the "healthy" part.

That's the first thing I saw, too. Healthy??!! He was playing on one leg. Hopefully he will get the rest neccessary to make the leg better. From what I've read so far this is a chronic situation so TD and Pop will have to manage the minutes carefully next season. Probably there will many B2B where TD plays one of the two games.

as long as we completely overhaul the team, offload about 5-6 players, and replace them with young athletic guys to put around the big 3, we have a damn good chance.
if they continue to fail to bring in youth and keep mostly the same team, we lose in round 1 again.
its that simple.

The Spurs will have Hill and Ian with the possibility of maybe M. Williams and Hairston coming to camp. Then there is the offseason trades that might or might not happen. Too early to tell if the FO has anything on the radar to speak of. As of now it's just pure speculation. There was an article and thread discussing it and stated the Spurs might possibly want to trade up to get a #1 round pick. But as Timvp in the thread stated that doesn't sound true. Pop has never done this in the fifteen years he has been here so why now? Especially with a weak draft in '09.

But the sentiment about younger players is true. We need to increase our athleticism on this team in order to be better able to win #5. The status quo will not cut it anymore. I believe the FO knows this and is trying to address it. But let's not forget that when you are the best franchise in the league for a decade and drafting in one of the last slots it is difficult to get those very good players - D Howard not withstanding though RC needs to take some hits on that and other ones - screwing up Nocioni's bithdate and not thinking he was elgible for the draft and thereby passing on him. Ugh!

I will remain optumistic about our chances next season and I'm looking forward to seeing what the FO does this offseason.

Sean Cagney
05-23-2009, 02:43 PM
its that simple.

With Manu in there we make it past round one this year, he will be back so round one is not a possibility IMO.

Clutch City 01
05-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Haha yes they are! spurs are too old and fragile to compete. think rebuild? :lol

Marcus Bryant
05-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Ah, "Clutch City." I think I saw some homeless dude wearing one of those shirts the other day in Htown. It's amusing when the typical Houston sports fan has to pimp a MLS title.

4 > 2.

rayray2k8
05-23-2009, 04:36 PM

Oden :rollin

antimvp
05-24-2009, 12:26 AM
I have often wondered what happened to Bob Ballou

spursbird
05-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Haha yes they are! spurs are too old and fragile to compete. think rebuild? :lol
And Yao, Mcgrady, Artest might be gone in 2009 and 2010, and the Rockets not thinking about rebuilding?:lol

sananspursfan21
05-24-2009, 05:54 PM
thanks for the inspiring post. hope they do it again!

R4R
05-24-2009, 06:40 PM
And Yao, Mcgrady, Artest might be gone in 2009 and 2010, and the Rockets not thinking about rebuilding?:lol

Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, and co. say hi.

and Luis Scola :toast

but...

I think the Spurs WILL do a couple of trades in the OS. Actually, if you unload off the older, less useful players (nearly the whole team) aside from the Spurs "Big 3", you'll get another championship contender :downspin: