PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical trade via Bill Simmons

Lars
05-22-2009, 04:02 PM
"Rumors are flying that New Orleans might gut the roster this summer and that, as crazy as this sounds, Chris Paul could be had if you can save them a boatload of money in the process. For instance, let's say they were offered the following "Godfather" package from Houston (http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=qasfva): T-Mac's expiring deal and Brent Barry's expiring deal ($24 million combined), Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Shane Battier and Luis Scola for Paul, Peja Stojakovic, James Posey and Tyson Chandler. That trade works even before Paul's extension kicks in, meaning it would save New Orleans $10 million next season and $4 million to $5 million more if they bought out T-Mac. Over the next three years, it saves them $45 million to $50 million potentially, keeps the team afloat in New Orleans, and might even keep them decent with the right moves. Wouldn't that make more sense than gutting the franchise like a fish (which they will), saddling Paul with a terrible team and eventually pushing him to demand a trade? I can't see any scenario in which Chris Paul is a happy New Orleans Hornet in two years. Which means he'll find a better team. Sorry, N'Awlins. Over."

From Houstons perspective I say no. Whats the non biased opinion?

timvp
05-22-2009, 04:05 PM
From Houstons perspective I say no.How could you say no to a trade that allows you to keep Yao and bring in CP3? If I'm the Rockets, I'd be willing to trade the entire roster, the two championship trophies and Calvin Murphy's 18 children and 40 children/grandchildren for CP3.

Spursfan092120
05-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Wow..that would be insane. I'm not sure what to think about that. I think it would help and hurt both sides..but I guess that's what a trade is all about. But to have CP3 and Yao on the same team would be epic..I'd be all on it if I were Houston.

IronMexican
05-22-2009, 04:06 PM
The Rockets would be crazy not to. CP3 is a franchise changing player.

Spursfan092120
05-22-2009, 04:06 PM
How could you say no to a trade that allows you to keep Yao and bring in CP3? If I'm the Rockets, I'd be willing to trade the entire roster, the two championship trophies and Calvin Murphy's 18 children and 40 children/grandchildren for CP3.
could you see a backcourt of Tony Parker, CP3? little different...but I think it'd be phenomenal.

BlackSwordsMan
05-22-2009, 04:09 PM
jack vaughn is a veteran championship leader
hornets interested in him?

poop
05-22-2009, 04:12 PM
How could you say no to a trade that allows you to keep Yao and bring in CP3? If I'm the Rockets, I'd be willing to trade the entire roster, the two championship trophies and Calvin Murphy's 18 children and 40 children/grandchildren for CP3.

did you check your pms? i left one about my status

Lars
05-22-2009, 04:13 PM

As demonstrated in the Laker series, our role players are what make us a good team. Doing this trade leaves us with one PF...Chuck Hayes, and 2 injury prone big men. Take Scola, Battier and Posey off the table and you got a deal.

BRHornet45
05-22-2009, 04:14 PM
son there is noway in hell the Hornets trade Paul ... Shinn and Scott have laughed off these ridiculous "internet rumors". Paul is untouchable. anyone else can go.

Spursfan092120
05-22-2009, 04:16 PM
son there is noway in hell the Hornets trade Paul ... Shinn and Scott have laughed off these ridiculous "internet rumors". Paul is untouchable. anyone else can go.
Oh...definitely. No way N.O. goes for this..I'm just saying if I was Houston and this was offered, I'd pray to and thank the basketball gods...this would be worse than the Lakers/Gasol deal. CP3 is a franchise player.

Lars
05-22-2009, 04:17 PM

Son I don't know if you realize, but the Hornets are in serious financial trouble.

BRHornet45
05-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Son I don't know if you realize, but the Hornets are in serious financial trouble.

since when? son they have made profit the last two years. I laugh at the ignorance from some of these writers of these pathetic reports. Go look up the financial numbers for yourself on sites like forbes.com. the Hornets aren't strapped for cash, we just have an owner who isn't anywhere near as wealthy as other owners in the NBA. Shinn has NEVER paid over the luxury tax even back in his Charlotte days, but for the first time in his ownership career will next season. The sole problem is terrible long term contracts to guys like Peja and Tyson (mainly Peja). that is where this whole "strapped for cash" talk nonsense is coming from. Shinn doesn't want to pay over the luxury tax plain and simple.

redzero
05-22-2009, 04:27 PM
lol at the notion that the Hornets would trade the reason why the franchise is popular because they are in "financial trouble."

Lars
05-22-2009, 04:30 PM
You two are in for a serious wakeup call LOL

BRHornet45
05-22-2009, 04:30 PM
I could understand people making comments about the Hornets like ... "they play in the smallest NBA market" .... "they have an owner who's sole income is the team and never pays over the luxury tax", etc....... but to say that the Hornets are "strapped for cash" is just downright ignorant. Go look at the facts.

redzero
05-22-2009, 04:33 PM
You two are in for a serious wakeup call LOL

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Do you honestly think that anybody in the Hornets organization wants to trade Chris Paul? Do you think that that idea even crossed their minds? Chris Paul IS the New Orleans Hornets.

These idiotic rumors started because of Mark Cuban.

sook
05-22-2009, 04:34 PM
This is dumb for the rockets. I realize that Paul is like THE BEST PG in the world....but I trading away our whole team that has greaet chemistry isn't good. We traded like half our roster for tmac, and a 2 man tmac/yao show couldn't get it done.

I trust morey to do what ever is right, he has only done well so far. He will make the good move .

Lars
05-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Facts:
Hornets are in a small market
Hornets suffered greatly from the hurricane
Hornets dipped into the emergency credit line (est 13-20 million)
Hornets payroll is 66 million this year for 15 players
Hornets payroll is increasing to 75 million next year for only 10 players
Luxury tax threshold is going down
The world is in a major recession

Opinions:
Hornets will not move Chris Paul

05-22-2009, 04:37 PM
why the fuck will NO trade chris paul? this guy is the PG of his generation. i doubt the hornets are as dumb as cuban who let go the two point guards that defined the years 2000-2008.

redzero
05-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Facts:
Hornets are in a small market
Hornets suffered greatly from the hurricane
Hornets dipped into the emergency credit line (est 13-20 million)
Hornets payroll is 66 million this year for 15 players
Hornets payroll is increasing to 75 million next year for only 10 players
Luxury tax threshold is going down
The world is in a major recession

Opinions:
Hornets will not move Chris Paul

So, you honestly believe you know more about this organization than we do? You are just an outsider looking in. Paul is not the problem. Paul will not be traded. The Hornets stand nothing to gain if they trade their best player and biggest draw. Paul would be the last one to be traded.

Findog
05-22-2009, 04:41 PM
I can't imagine any problem the Hornets have, financial or otherwise, that is going to be solved by trading Chris Paul. You might as well start lawyering up and exploring avenues to break the lease in order to move the team to Vegas, Seattle or KC. Trading your franchise player is a signal to the fans that you can't financially afford to compete at the highest level.

If they honestly feel like trading Paul is inevitable because he won't want to carry a shitty team all by himself, then it says that franchise is not viable in New Orleans long-term.

Lars
05-22-2009, 04:43 PM
So, you honestly believe you know more about this organization than we do? You are just an outsider looking in. Paul is not the problem. Paul will not be traded. The Hornets stand nothing to gain if they trade their best player and biggest draw. Paul would be the last one to be traded.

You understand the NBA teams are businesses right? They exist to make money.

I dont know if you remember they literally tried to give away Chandler at the deadline. IF they can't find a taker for Peja or Chandler, you can bank on them losing Paul.

redzero
05-22-2009, 04:46 PM

I dont know if you remember they literally tried to give away Chandler at the deadline. IF they can't find a taker for Peja or Chandler, you can bank on them losing Paul.

Chris Paul isn't Tyson Chandler or Peja Stojakovic. If teams exist to make money, then trading the star player would be suicide. No way in hell will Chris Paul be traded. No way in hell.

Findog
05-22-2009, 04:47 PM
i doubt the hornets are as dumb as cuban who let go the two point guards that defined the years 2000-2008.

:lmao

Wow, so Devin Harris and Steve Nash were the two best PGs in the League from 2000-08? If Devin Harris is so good, how come the Nets won 33 games and couldnt make the playoffs in the East? I guess the Mavs should've traded Dirk and kept the second-coming of Allen Iverson: another undersized combo guard that can do one thing (take his man off the dribble) and one thing only.

As for Nash, explain to me how the Mavs let him walk for nothing and GOT BETTER. Explain to me how a team with Steve Nash attempting to "guard" Tony Parker ever gets past the Spurs in the playoffs.

The Mavs and Spurs met twice in the playoffs with Nash as our starter. We lost both of those series. We've met twice without him and won both of those series. Some people would like to argue that Nash would've made a difference against Miami and Golden State, but with Nash, the Mavs would've never advanced that far against the Heat. And assuming we beat Golden State, we would've lost to the Spurs in the Conference Finals.

Get a clue.

Lars
05-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Chris Paul isn't Tyson Chandler or Peja Stojakovic. If teams exist to make money, then trading the star player would be suicide. No way in hell will Chris Paul be traded. No way in hell.

k

Findog
05-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Steve Nash has faced the Spurs five times in the playoffs. His teams lost all five series.

BRHornet45
05-22-2009, 04:50 PM
k

son seriously ... do you HONESTLY believe that the Hornets will trade Chris Paul? all jokes aside. do you honestly think that?

Findog
05-22-2009, 04:51 PM
son seriously ... do you HONESTLY believe that the Hornets will trade Chris Paul? all jokes aside. do you honestly think that?

I can see them doing it if he refuses to sign an extension bc the team around him is bad.

BRHornet45
05-22-2009, 04:53 PM

son Chandler was also constantly hurt and needed surgery (which he recently just got). So God only knows what Chandler will show up next season after surgery ... 8 and 8 Chandler or 12 and 11 Chandler. He is not worth the $11M a year he is getting now.

BRHornet45
05-22-2009, 04:54 PM
I can see them doing it if he refuses to sign an extension bc the team around him is bad.

son he has already signed the extension last season. His new contract kicks in next year. He has the same length contract that guys like Lebron and Wade have. 3 year deal with a 4th year option ... he will be able to opt out after his 7th year in the NBA.

DAF86
05-22-2009, 04:59 PM
That trade wouldn't make the Rockets any better for next season. In fact I'm pretty sure they wouldn't even make the playoffs.

05-22-2009, 05:01 PM
:lmao

Wow, so Devin Harris and Steve Nash were the two best PGs in the League from 2000-08? If Devin Harris is so good, how come the Nets won 33 games and couldnt make the playoffs in the East? I guess the Mavs should've traded Dirk and kept the second-coming of Allen Iverson: another undersized combo guard that can do one thing (take his man off the dribble) and one thing only.

As for Nash, explain to me how the Mavs let him walk for nothing and GOT BETTER. Explain to me how a team with Steve Nash attempting to "guard" Tony Parker ever gets past the Spurs in the playoffs.

The Mavs and Spurs met twice in the playoffs with Nash as our starter. We lost both of those series. We've met twice without him and won both of those series. Some people would like to argue that Nash would've made a difference against Miami and Golden State, but with Nash, the Mavs would've never advanced that far against the Heat. And assuming we beat Golden State, we would've lost to the Spurs in the Conference Finals.

Get a clue.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bWjfuKudL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
:rollin at you thinking of devin harris first. i forgot about that one, thanks for bringing it up.

05-22-2009, 05:04 PM
actually to be fair, cuban wasn't the owner then. i should have directed my comments towards the mavericks organization.

Findog
05-22-2009, 05:09 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bWjfuKudL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
:rollin at you thinking of devin harris first. i forgot about that one, thanks for bringing it up.

Cuban didn't trade Jason Kidd away, Frank Zaccanelli did. I fail to see how Cuban was "stupid" for parting with him. And I'm just fine with how that trade turned out; ask the Colangelos how well trading Michael Finley for Kidd worked out for them.

Lars
05-22-2009, 05:10 PM

Listen, you amuse me as a person. I would not wish bad things on you, so take this as a legitimate opinion and not as me trying to act like a douchebag.

The cold hard truth is the Hornets will do everything in thier power to retain Chris Paul, but if they can't find ways to reduce salary, ie dump Chandler and Peja, then you need to prepare yourself to lose Paul.

Rumors exist for a reason. Sure some are outlandish and come from fan boards, but it is no secret the Hornets are reeling from the dumb contracts they took on. If I were you I would pray the Pistons want Chandler as a gift over the summer because if not it could ugly in New Orleans. I didn't write this, this is from ESPN, and this isnt the first "rumor" regarding this issue either.

Thier financial mismanagement is staggering. Even if they don't trade him, there is no way the Hornets get any better. They have no money to spend on free agents, no young up and coming rookies. They have Chris Paul and a bunch of aging over paid guys who are only going to get worse as time goes on. There is a huge chance that Paul gets frustrated and eventually demands a trade.

So yes, in my opinion, it is very possible Paul gets moved.

Brazil
05-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Simmons is smoking a lot of grass recently

BRHornet45
05-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Listen, you amuse me as a person. I would not wish bad things on you, so take this as a legitimate opinion and not as me trying to act like a douchebag.

The cold hard truth is the Hornets will do everything in thier power to retain Chris Paul, but if they can't find ways to reduce salary, ie dump Chandler and Peja, then you need to prepare yourself to lose Paul.

Rumors exist for a reason. Sure some are outlandish and come from fan boards, but it is no secret the Hornets are reeling from the dumb contracts they took on. If I were you I would pray the Pistons want Chandler as a gift over the summer because if not it could ugly in New Orleans. I didn't write this, this is from ESPN, and this isnt the first "rumor" regarding this issue either.

Thier financial mismanagement is staggering. Even if they don't trade him, there is no way the Hornets get any better. They have no money to spend on free agents, no young up and coming rookies. They have Chris Paul and a bunch of aging over paid guys who are only going to get worse as time goes on. There is a huge chance that Paul gets frustrated and eventually demands a trade.

So yes, in my opinion, it is very possible Paul gets moved.

son my god you are clueless, but it is comical at the same time.

JMarkJohns
05-22-2009, 05:26 PM
And I'm just fine with how that trade turned out; ask the Colangelos how well trading Michael Finley for Kidd worked out for them.

I still get mad at that trade. Finley/Cassell/filler for Kidd/filler. Kidd never even led the Suns far in the playoffs, losing every series in the first round that he started, even when they were the higher ranked team holding homecourt. The only playoff series the Suns ever won during Kidd's tenure in Phoenix came when he was out with a broken leg, with a unretired KJ manning point and with Duncan missing from their opponant.

Until this past season, Kidd was 0-for vs. Western Conference playoff teams, and his win-loss record vs. them was pretty bad.

I'm not saying this to diminish the player. He was a great player. However, he just couldn't make it work for his teams against the best competition at the time, I.E.: THE WEST.

Had Jerry Colangelo been patient, he was started to amass a large bit of young talent. With his ability to find quality players middle-to-late in the first round (even into the later rounds, note Jeff Hornacek, Jayson Williams - yes him - Steve Kerr and Stephen Jackson - yes him), had they just stood pat a bit, not traded a handful of 1sts for a 6-month rental of McDyess, I just shake my head at the possibilities.

Trading Kidd was not a bad thing for the Mavericks. It basically net them Finley and Bradley (via Cassell), two foundational pieces of their recent success.

coldsweat
05-22-2009, 05:31 PM
lars is delusional, he's just trying to convince himself that the hornets would do it.

the hornets are not trading away the player that makes them money. they will explore packaging david west with their bad contracts first.

iggypop123
05-22-2009, 05:47 PM
you cant separate Simmons from bias

Ghazi
05-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Bad deal for the Rockets.

CP3 just isn't a winner.

Lost to a 7th seed in NCAA Tournament

Punched Julius Hodge in the nuts

Let Jannero fucking Pargo take 14 4th quarter shots.

Shot 40% against the Nuggets with more fall downs and turnovers than field goal attempts.

Remember a few years ago when we were tricked into thinking Steve Nash was a top 5-10 basketball player in the world? Same deal here.

CP3 only looks good because his team mates are so bad

lol 121-63

Artest93
05-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Take Scola and Battier off the table, also take Peja off, and call it a deal...Hornets are in financial troubles, while broadcasting the game, can't remember who it was exactly, announcers stated that hornets were in trouble b/c New Orleans is not big enough for two professional sports teams, most people are invested in the saints, and that the hornets maybe the next Seattle Sonics

redzero
05-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Bad deal for the Rockets.

CP3 just isn't a winner.

Lost to a 7th seed in NCAA Tournament

Punched Julius Hodge in the nuts

Let Jannero fucking Pargo take 14 4th quarter shots.

Shot 40% against the Nuggets with more fall downs and turnovers than field goal attempts.

Remember a few years ago when we were tricked into thinking Steve Nash was a top 5-10 basketball player in the world? Same deal here.

CP3 only looks good because his team mates are so bad

lol 121-63

http://imagecache.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAHE097_8x10%7EDwyane-Wade-With-MVP-And-2006-Finals-Trophies-Posters.jpg

Findog
05-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Take Scola and Battier off the table, also take Peja off, and call it a deal.

If the Hornets actually ever pursued this, they would make taking Peja and Posey's contracts conditional on getting CP3 too. That's the whole point, the baby and bathwater are a package deal.

The Third Man
05-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Alright, the only way this happens is if the Hornets are on the verge of insolvency and Paul makes it clear that he will leave. I am unaware that either of these are the case. I would trade most NBA players for Chris Paul. There are only a few more valuable.

GSH
05-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Damn... shouldn't Houston be willing to throw in their first round picks for a few years, too?

The Minnesota Vikings once traded a whole team for Herschel Walker. The New Orleans Saints traded a whole team for Ricky Williams. Neither of those worked out too well - except for the team getting all the players.

CP3 and Yao together has some promise, but you'd have to have some guarantee that Yao could finish a season healthy. And you'd still have to have other players. Especially since Yao can't run the floor even when he is healthy. Paul needs someone to pass to, or the other team is going to camp in the paint - which makes it tough to get the Ball to Yao, and tough for Paul to drive.

Letting go of Brooks, Landry, Scola, and Battier? I don't think so. Stojakovic isn't going to win a championship for them. Tyson Chandler failed a physical near the end of the the season. And Posey is a good player, but he got terribly over-rated after that season in Boston. He's a career 9 point 5 rebound guy, and that's in almost 30 minutes per game. His numbers in any of the last 3 seasons aren't as good as Finley's. (When Finley was younger, it wouldn't even be fair to compare them.)

Brooks, Landry, Scola, and Battier? That just doesn't want to sink into my brain. It's too late for April Fool's Day, so there has to be some other explanation.