PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Explain To Me...

CubanSucks
05-22-2009, 06:45 PM
why when a person is half white and half of another race the 'other' race is the one that that person is known by? I REALLY don't want to make this into a mudslinging political thread but I have to mention Obama, just cause he's the most famous of the mixed races that I'm talking about. But again, it would be the same if it were white and hispanic. I'm not sure if I should be offended or proud of the fact that the 'white' race seems to be the generic race

Bukefal
05-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah i was thinking the same. Maybe because especially with celebrities who are half white and half another race, because there are so much white people known for something, like obama, there are so much white presidents and none black, so the people of the other race see their chance in being proud of someone from their race, and thus claim him to be of the other race and solely the other race, not giving attention to his white part.

It has to do with distinguishing people from another.

And if the other race is black, when that person has a child with a white person, the child looks always more black than white. So people are seeing that child faster as a part of the other race than the white race.

I cannot explain exactly here what i wanted to say, dont mind my bad english, im sorry.

CubanSucks
05-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Yeah i was thinking the same. Maybe because especially with celebrities who are half white and half another race, because there are so much white people known for something, like obama, there are so much white presidents and none black, so the people of the other race see their chance in being proud of someone from their race, and thus claim him to be of the other race and solely the other race, not giving attention to his white part.

It has to do with distinguishing people from another.

And if the other race is black, when that person has a child with a white person, the child looks always more black than white. So people are seeing that child faster as a part of the other race than the white race.

I cannot explain exactly here what i wanted to say, dont mind my bad english, im sorry.

That's the biggest bullshit part of it. Dismissing or even forgetting about HALF of your heritage is just ridiculous

angel_luv
05-22-2009, 08:30 PM
I am biracial- half white and half black.

Society sort of sets you up to choose to be one race or the other.
Like on my driver's lisense, I had to select either black or white. I did not have the option of stating on my id that I am mixed.

I am adopted and raised by white people. Even my black friends think I act white and so on my id, I chose white.

But I can only speak from my own experience.

balli
05-22-2009, 08:36 PM
PTSTNljaS5g

CubanSucks
05-22-2009, 09:44 PM
PTSTNljaS5g

:rolleyes

spurster
05-22-2009, 10:45 PM
When a black slave had the white owner's baby, gee, I wonder how they categorized the kid.

CubanSucks
05-22-2009, 11:17 PM
When a black slave had the white owner's baby, gee, I wonder how they categorized the kid.

How fucking irrelevant. So are you considering canceling out half their race as a sort of reparations for modern blacks?

timvp
05-22-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm not a fan of mixed race people.

redskinfan
05-22-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm not a fan of mixed race people.

Wow!

CuckingFunt
05-23-2009, 02:28 AM
One drop rules.

Hierarchical dualisms.

Cultural binaries.

"Us" vs. "them."

Constructed "others."

Take your pick.

This country has a large history of categorizing people solely on their relationship to "pure" whiteness -- you either is, or you ain't. While the definition of "pure" whiteness has changed over time for various political and financial reasons, it hasn't ever included anything other than those of European descent.

Kori Ellis
05-23-2009, 02:56 AM
Wow!

Just to clarify, that was a joke because timvp is mixed of a bunch of races/ethnicities.

Bukefal
05-23-2009, 04:21 AM
That's the biggest bullshit part of it. Dismissing or even forgetting about HALF of your heritage is just ridiculous

No no, you yourself are not forgetting your part. but other people do. they tend to see you solely as part of the other race and not the white part.

j-6
05-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Angel_luv had the best take on this. When society forces someone to declare an ethnicity, people typically choose either the racial profile they identify with or which one would get them the most attention.

ShoogarBear
05-23-2009, 07:48 AM

How fucking irrelevant. So are you considering canceling out half their race as a sort of reparations for modern blacks?

Uh, no, he's (she's?) right. In order to keep the white race pure, if you had one drop of anything else, that was what you were.

ploto
05-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Angel_luv had the best take on this. When society forces someone to declare an ethnicity, people typically choose either the racial profile they identify with or which one would get them the most attention.

I have watched people chose whichever will benefit them at the time, especially in relation to scholarship opportunities.

I remember the big fuss a few years ago because a girl who was born in Africa applied for a scholarship that said it was for African Americans. Only problem is that she was white. But the rules did not say you had to be "black." They used the PC term African American and she said that she qualified.

BacktoBasics
05-23-2009, 10:29 AM
All people suck.

Frenzy
05-23-2009, 10:40 AM
i had a question like this about ethnic...not race...

had a coworker who told me he was mexican,puerto rican,salvadorian and something else i forget. when asked what he was by other ppl he would tell ppl "I'm puerto rican"

geee wonder why. Anywho i told him.. dude shut up no one cares your a hispanic ....now move one...

CuckingFunt
05-23-2009, 11:58 AM
i had a question like this about ethnic...not race...

had a coworker who told me he was mexican,puerto rican,salvadorian and something else i forget. when asked what he was by other ppl he would tell ppl "I'm puerto rican"

geee wonder why. Anywho i told him.. dude shut up no one cares your a hispanic ....now move one...

A lot of times, people will identify based on the culture they feel more strongly, so that might have had something to do with it.

For instance, I'm Sicilian, Irish, Swedish, German, and English (which, for all intents and purposes, ain't but five types of White), but culturally my dad's side of the family is strongly Swedish and my mom's side is very strongly Sicilian, so those are the two cultures with which I most identify and the two that I feel had the biggest influence on who I am.

pkbpkb81
05-23-2009, 03:04 PM
I have watched people chose whichever will benefit them at the time, especially in relation to scholarship opportunities.

I remember the big fuss a few years ago because a girl who was born in Africa applied for a scholarship that said it was for African Americans. Only problem is that she was white. But the rules did not say you had to be "black." They used the PC term African American and she said that she qualified.

thats great

jack sommerset
05-23-2009, 05:10 PM
I am half Canadian.

spurster
05-23-2009, 09:18 PM

Maybe history had something to do with it, just a suggestion. I wonder if there are any "modern blacks" who might know about this Jim Crow guy.

Wild Cobra
05-23-2009, 10:28 PM
I am half Canadian.
LOL...

I'm a mut...

I have a bit of so many things in me. Two types of Indian, Black, Norwegian, German, Scottish, and so many others...