PDA

View Full Version : Could Stern be fixing a non Kobe vs Lebron Finals?

Thunder Dan
05-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Think about this one. Could David Stern actually be fixing what we all think is worst case scenario for the NBA, a Magic vs. Nuggets Finals?

Here is why it could be true. Yes, Kobe vs. Lebron would be the dream matchup for 2009, but going forward, the Magic vs the Nuggets is actually better for the NBA. What it does is prove that the NBA is not fixed. There has been this perception for over 20 years that the NBA is fixed. In the time of all the Kobe vs. Lebron commercials, and the referee FBI probe, there is no better time than now to prove to each other the 25-something smaller markets that your team has a shot even though it doesn't have a mega-star, or a storied history. Next year will be an extremely tough year for the NBA because of sagging attendance due to the economy, it is in their benefit to prove that the league is legit so people in Memphis, Minnesota and other markets go to the games.

The NBA has broken many TV records this season. Viewership and interest in the NBA is very high right now. Stern and the NBA don't necessarily need huge ratings for the Finals for 2 reasons: 1, the ratings are already up across the board, 2 they just use those ratings to sell ads for next year's Finals. They take those ratings and say, well last year the ratings were up 4% so it will cost you more to buy an ad. They also can ask for more for ads this year if it is Kobe vs. Lebron, but companies are still hesitent to spend money in this financial environment. So there is more money to be made, but not a massive drop off. So whether the ratings are massive, or they are crappy, the NBA doesn't stand to profit more on that than they would if attendance and interest was up across all of the 30 markets because people no longer suspect Stern fixing the league. This would be essentially making 2009 a martyr year for the NBA where it suffers this one season, but looks to make it all up for the next 10-20 seasons because this could be the benchmark of proving it's not fixed.

With the exception of the Mo Williams missed Tech, and possibly a charge call, I have not seen any reason to suspect the officials are fixing it for the Cavs. If they were fixing it they would never of called the travel with 30 seconds left- however, there was a cheap foul on Pavlavic that if it where reversed, and had been on the Magic, you could argue it was fixed. It was a cheap foul with 13 seconds left, and it gave them what appeared to be a last chance possession. The same could be said in the Lakers series. Everyone is looking for the calls to go the Lakers and Cavs way, but they are actually looking to go against them more than for them. So could a reverse fix be in order

Double-Up
05-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Could the Lord God enlarge you're brain capacity to acknowledge the NBA doesn't have a conspiracy theory?

JoeTait75
05-23-2009, 04:49 PM
http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/3917/cover_233914102008.jpg

JamStone
05-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I think it's absolutely true.

This is where Vince McMahon steps in and sets up a steel cage ladder match between Kobe and LeBron (both out of the playoffs by then) for Monday Night Raw to be followed up by a 6 man tag team submission match with Dennis Rodman and Manny Pacquiao as Kobe's teammates and Karl Malone and Floyd Merriwether as LeBron's teammates.

So it was written. So it shall be done.

jag
05-23-2009, 05:12 PM
No matter who the fan is, no matter what the scores of the games are, no matter how small the foul disparity....

if your team loses, then the NBA is rigged.

Man up and quit being a pussy.

JoeTait75
05-23-2009, 05:21 PM
No matter who the fan is, no matter what the scores of the games are, no matter how small the foul disparity....

Allanon
05-23-2009, 05:50 PM
That's a good point. Everybody thinks that David Stern is fixing the Lakers/Cavs Finals but what if he's just rope-a-doping everybody with all these LeBron/Kobe commercials?

I also found it kind of "odd" that the Nuggets got so many extra free throws than the Lakers. Laker opponents have been shooting more free throws than the Lakers in most of their games.

I think you might be right; it sure feels like it.

spurscenter
05-23-2009, 06:07 PM
all i want to know is who is this

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd32/in2thevoid/aurora3.jpg

I want to go to there

spurscenter
05-23-2009, 06:07 PM
http://badpussy.org/uploads/files/ifqic93y1l7zfdwjjdrh.jpg

Thats great

BRHornet45
05-23-2009, 06:14 PM
ROTFLMAO at the title of this .... son Stern, the NBA and Vince McMahon and his WWE storyline writing crew have worked WAY TOO HARD on this all year long. there is NO WAY in HELL that we won't see the Cavs vs Lakers. just turn your TV on ESPN and NBATV from day 1 ... Kobe, Lebron, Kobe, Lebron ... they even have the popular puppet commercials now that are attracting the attention of non NBA fans. its coming.

resistanze
05-23-2009, 06:45 PM
I agree, Stern is making the Cavs and Lakers play like spineless vaginas.

Bukefal
05-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Could the Lord God enlarge you're brain capacity to acknowledge the NBA doesn't have a conspiracy theory?

:lol

I dont know, but i think its a bit far thought. I dont believe it.

Rogue
05-23-2009, 07:17 PM
ROTFLMAO at the title of this .... son Stern, the NBA and Vince McMahon and his WWE storyline writing crew have worked WAY TOO HARD on this all year long. there is NO WAY in HELL that we won't see the Cavs vs Lakers. just turn your TV on ESPN and NBATV from day 1 ... Kobe, Lebron, Kobe, Lebron ... they even have the popular puppet commercials now that are attracting the attention of non NBA fans. its coming.
Kobe vs. Lebron = Big Show vs. Kane. But stern also has got other actors to fill in when Kobe or Crab misses it. Melo has also got millions of butt-kissers around the world, so has Dwright, the final series shown by Superman and Melo will also be a big feast. Obviously the league doesn't want to use too much manipulation in the western conference finals, that's why the KFC head snubbed all the teams he doesn't like in the first and second round.

BRHornet45
05-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Kobe vs. Lebron = Big Show vs. Kane. But stern also has got other actors to fill in when Kobe or Crab misses it. Melo has also got millions of butt-kissers around the world, so has Dwright, the final series shown by Superman and Melo will also be a big feast. Obviously the league doesn't want to use too much manipulation in the western conference finals, that's why the KFC head snubbed all the teams he doesn't like in the first and second round.

son this is true and Stern learned this from Vince McMahon ... you ALWAYS have to have an emergency backup plan in case plan A for your storyline doesn't work. Stern's refs are good though. they will get the job done.

ginobili's bald spot
05-23-2009, 07:19 PM

Thunder Dan
05-23-2009, 07:27 PM
why do people think I'm crying? I really don't care that much. I just was thinking about this and when I thought it through it wasn't all that crazy. I mean it's out there, but so is having a ref fix the Lakers/Kings series a couple years back. Just thinking it's like a M. Knight Shamalan movie and maybe we are all wrong on the assumption that Stern wants a Kobe/Lebron final. I mean EVERYONE is talking about how pissed Stern will be if it's not, but it's not that bad if it doesn't happen

BRHornet45
05-23-2009, 07:33 PM
son that is not true ... the day I see my team or a media darling team get beat by the Milwaukee Bucks in the Finals ... then I will agree. god bless

2010 NBA FINALS:
Milwaukee Bucks vs Oklahoma City Thunder .... NOW THAT is what I'm talking about! talk about a TV ratings dream!!!!

Imposter Cleaner
05-23-2009, 07:40 PM
son that is not true ... the day I see my team or a media darling team get beat by the Milwaukee Bucks in the Finals ... then I will agree. god bless

2010 NBA FINALS:
Milwaukee Bucks vs Oklahoma City Thunder .... NOW THAT is what I'm talking about! talk about a TV ratings dream!!!!
That's crystal clear truth, the future league belongs to the teams that have the most youngth, God bless the Thunder.

BRHornet45
05-23-2009, 07:43 PM
That's crystal clear truth, the future league belongs to the teams that have the most youngth, God bless the Thunder.

sons holy fucking shit there is a Thunder fan on here???

Jacob1983
05-23-2009, 08:25 PM
It's clever on Stern's part to attempt to rig the Finals this year so it's a Magic-Nuggets Finals in order to make it look like the Finals aren't rigged since the Lakers and Cavs wouldn't been in it. Rigging it to make it look like it's not rigged just shows how paranoid Stern is. What I can't stand about Stern is that he always has that "I'm the boss of the NBA and I can do whatever want and there's nothing you can do about" smile and look on his face.

Allanon
05-24-2009, 03:09 AM
It's clever on Stern's part to attempt to rig the Finals this year so it's a Magic-Nuggets Finals in order to make it look like the Finals aren't rigged since the Lakers and Cavs wouldn't been in it. Rigging it to make it look like it's not rigged just shows how paranoid Stern is. What I can't stand about Stern is that he always has that "I'm the boss of the NBA and I can do whatever want and there's nothing you can do about" smile and look on his face.

Stern's too smart to fall for that.

Actually Stern's going to rig the Lakers and Cavs in the Finals because he knows people think he's going to rig Nuggets/Magic to make it seem like he isn't rigging the Finals because the obvious rig would be the Cavs and Lakers. But if he rigs Nuggets/Magic, people are going to know he's just rigging it so it doesn't seem like he's rigging it so Stern has to rig it Lakers/Cavs.

InK
05-24-2009, 05:31 AM
:lol:lol:lol

IronMexican
05-24-2009, 05:45 AM

2010 NBA FINALS:

son the Spurs have won 4 titles, including a sweep the the Media Darling

pauls931
05-24-2009, 09:39 AM
I know he fixed it. I caught him putting lead paint chips into the nugget's gatorade during game 1...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2009, 11:40 AM
I also found it kind of "odd" that the Nuggets got so many extra free throws than the Lakers.

God Allanon you're so fuckin stupid. Everytime the Lakers get more free throws than their opponent, it's because they were more agressive and they're the better team. Meanwhile, whenever the better team gets more free throws, the refs fucked it up. It doesn't surprise me that you think it's the ref's job to make the free throws relatively even, because you seem to specialize in retarded thoughts. If one team is chucking jumpers, and the other team is taking it to the rim, the other team is going to shoot more free throws. It's such a simple concept that even your mentally retarded brain constantly thinking of 75 win ecstasy should be able to grasp.

Allanon
05-24-2009, 02:25 PM
God Allanon you're so fuckin stupid. Everytime the Lakers get more free throws than their opponent, it's because they were more agressive and they're the better team. Meanwhile, whenever the better team gets more free throws, the refs fucked it up. It doesn't surprise me that you think it's the ref's job to make the free throws relatively even, because you seem to specialize in retarded thoughts. If one team is chucking jumpers, and the other team is taking it to the rim, the other team is going to shoot more free throws. It's such a simple concept that even your mentally retarded brain constantly thinking of 75 win ecstasy should be able to grasp.

Got me another fat, stupid one....c'mon little fishies...

Man, trolling at ST is like fishing with dynamite...especially when it comes to Sunfan because they're so bitter about their short 2 year run at the top :lol:lol :lmao.

Actually Stern's going to rig the Lakers and Cavs in the Finals because he knows people think he's going to rig Nuggets/Magic to make it seem like he isn't rigging the Finals because the obvious rig would be the Cavs and Lakers. But if he rigs Nuggets/Magic, people are going to know he's just rigging it so it doesn't seem like he's rigging it so Stern has to rig it Lakers/Cavs.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Got me another fat, stupid one....c'mon little fishies...

Man, trolling at ST is like fishing with dynamite...especially when it comes to Sunfan because they're so bitter about their short 2 year run at the top :lol:lol :lmao.

Sorry not all of us can be bandwagon Laker fans like you Allanon and join ST the same month of the Gasol trade.

Allanon
05-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Sorry not all of us can be bandwagon Laker fans like you Allanon and join ST the same month of the Gasol trade.

C'mon, fishies, keep it cummin' :lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2009, 02:33 PM
stupid one

75 win ecstasy!!!!!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2009, 02:34 PM

I gotta admit.....:lmao

Allanon
05-24-2009, 02:34 PM
75 win ecstasy!!!!!

I never said that, btw

DUNCANownsKOBE2
05-24-2009, 02:35 PM
I never said that, btw

Your sig did.

Allanon
05-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Your sig did.

That was an inside joke to mess with Brazil. :lol

Read my original quote on the forums...

If you said "70 win ecsasty", then you got me :lol

BandWagon Cavs Fan
05-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Stern's a thug

http://i41.tinypic.com/1zya4nm.jpg

Tmac&Luther
05-25-2009, 01:49 AM
Think about this one. Could David Stern actually be fixing what we all think is worst case scenario for the NBA, a Magic vs. Nuggets Finals?

Here is why it could be true. Yes, Kobe vs. Lebron would be the dream matchup for 2009, but going forward, the Magic vs the Nuggets is actually better for the NBA. What it does is prove that the NBA is not fixed....yadda....yadda...yadda...excuses...excuse s...excuses...my butt hurts

NO! asshole your team is just getting out fucking played and they haven't been the better team on the court for one fucking game in this series......which I love after all the shit talking you've done throughout the season (hated it when LeBron shit out a prayer in game two to keep y'all relevant in this series.)

You made me root against the Cavs and LeBron (who I liked) so this is your fault.

P.S.

go cry to someone else about bad officiating when your team loses by double digits when D. Howard barely plays over 2 quarters of total action, almost fouls out at home, and gets called for a foul on the most obvious blocked shot of the season....don't want to hear it weiner boy.

peskypesky
05-25-2009, 02:04 AM
last thing in the world Stern wants is a Kobe-Lebron Finals. that would be the end of the NBA.

Tmac&Luther
05-25-2009, 02:22 AM
Hope you're being sarcastic. :toast

NewJerSpur
05-25-2009, 02:24 AM
LMFAO......yeah right. Were talking about the same league that just had to take a 200+ million dollar bailout of their own. Stern spoils his sheets everynight thinking about Kobe vs LeBron.........just like last season when he wanted LA vs Boston.

Think he was being sarcastic.

Tmac&Luther
05-25-2009, 02:27 AM

Well at 2:30 in the morning on a national holiday weekend (hint hint...I'm in the military....don't have to work tomorrow) my "sarcastic meter" is shot.

So I'm sorry.

NewJerSpur
05-25-2009, 02:28 AM
Well at 2:30 in the morning on a national holiday weekend (hint hint...I'm in the military....don't have to work tomorrow) my "sarcastic meter" is shot.

So I'm sorry.

No prob, just trying to clear things up. Kick back and enjoy. :toast

peskypesky
05-25-2009, 02:29 AM

no, i wasn't. stern doesn't want a lebron-kobe finals because one of the golden boys would have to lose to the other, and he doesn't want their cheap crowns further tarnished. think about it. if lebron loses, then that's already his second Finals loss. how can you hype him anymore if he's failed twice on the biggest stage? and if Kobe loses, it's his second straight Finals loss. there goes his lustre. these are the two most recent MVP's, and it would not look good for one of them to beat the other. so stern is fixing the games so that the Magic and Nuggets play each other. no one gives a shit about those teams, so no one will watch the Finals and no one will even know that one of the teams lost.

NewJerSpur
05-25-2009, 02:32 AM
no, i wasn't. stern doesn't want a lebron-kobe finals because one of the golden boys would have to lose to the other, and he doesn't want their cheap crowns further tarnished. think about it. if lebron loses, then that's already his second Finals loss. how can you hype him anymore if he's failed twice on the biggest stage? and if Kobe loses, it's his second straight Finals loss. there goes his lustre. these are the two most recent MVP's, and it would not look good for one of them to beat the other. so stern is fixing the games so that the Magic and Nuggets play each other. no one gives a shit about those teams, so no one will watch the Finals and no one will even know that one of the teams lost.

My apologies to the earlier poster then, I was wrong.

LeBron/Kobe is the biggest main event of the century, even in the eyes of the casual NBA fan. Even if one loses, they'd just look towards a rematch next year. I don't want to see it, but 90% of most people that watch basketball do.

Tmac&Luther
05-25-2009, 03:00 AM
no, i wasn't.

WHAT!......well then fuck it. Semper Fi

last thing in the world Stern wants is a Kobe-Lebron Finals. that would be the end of the NBA.

LMFAO......yeah right. We're talking about the same league that had to take a 200+ million dollar bailout of their own this season. Stern spoils his sheets every night thinking about Kobe vs LeBron.........just like last season when he wanted LA vs Boston. (was that the "end of the NBA") Only a idiot would say "that's the last thing he wants".....the NBA is a business and the guy has a hard on with money signs in his eyes about it. He's already making money off of the possibility of it and it hasn't even happened. :lmao

Damn it, I knew no amount of beer could bust my "sarcastic meter". :lol

Tmac&Luther
05-25-2009, 03:04 AM
I don't want to see it, but 90% of average casual NBA fans and corporate sponsors do.

correction. :toast

P.S.

Only a very naive individual would actually think Stern wouldn't stoop so low as to run over his own mother to get to a Kobe vs. LeBron final......seriously. :lol The guy is sucking his thumb and thinking about it as we speak.

NewJerSpur
05-25-2009, 03:06 AM
correction. :toast

:worthy: :lol

:toast